• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lost Word File on PC - How Can I Find It?

In summary, my dd is working on writing a grant ap for her classroom. She opened a WORD file from her email on my PC and worked for a long time. She was hitting save but never did "Save As" She closed the file and then went to open it and of course, cannot find the file anywhere on my PC. HELP! I think there should be some "temp file" or something. It's Windows Vista and I just don't know how o where to search other than the normal file searches. I would SO like to find this for her. She is so discouraged that she says maybe it's not meant to be but I am not willing to give up
quiverfull7
Gold Member
Ok.. my dd is working on writing a grant ap for her classroom. She opened a WORD file from her email on my PC and worked for a long time. She was hitting save but never did "Save As" She closed the file and then went to open it and of course, cannot find the file anywhere on my PC. HELP! I think it's in there somewhere but i don't know how to look for it or find it.
I think there should be some "temp file" or something. It's Windows Vista and I just don't know how o where to search other than the normal file searches. I would SO like to find this for her. She is so discouraged that she says maybe it's not meant to be but I am not willing to give up! TIA for any help you can offer.

Have her go back to the email & open the word file again. A lot of times, it saves in the same place & you can at least see where it's at. Just make sure not to 'save' again or you may over write what she has.

Thanks. I already tried that so that I could find the file name it was saving as. It was there but with none of the work that she had done tonight.

First- when you open Word, if you click on "File", does it have an "Open Recent" option? I've got Mac version of Word, but if it does- it will have the history there and you can just open it that way.If that doesn't work, try looking in Word- find the "Preferences". Then just start looking at everything to find out the Save File location path. It should have a place you can define that...so in theory to find it too.And finally -
try to open the Explorer window or however you look for folders/files and drill down through to the Microsoft Folders. If you can find where Microsoft Office applications are, you can often find it's Temp folder. ----not sure how helpful my thoughts will be- after reading your last post about not seeing any of today's work. Maybe try the last one

I will try that last option... that's what I am thinking I need but I can't find where to find that in Vista... I'm going to look for a bit but I've got a banging headache and have to get up early to go be with my MIL at the hosp tomorrow am. THANKS and keep the ideas coming please! :)

What if she went to the start button and looked at recent items option?

Good thought but tried that already too. Thanks! I know it's on the computer somewhere!

Usually with Word whatever you were working on last comes up in the little task bar at the bottom right of the screen. YOu can always do a file search too from the main menu of the desk top.

Thanks everyone. We've depleted my energy hunting for this file so I'm giving up. I just don't understand it. The one file/folder I could never locate is a temporary file. I could always find it in XP but I can't locate it at all on here. Thanks so much for all the ideas of where to check.

=( I'm sorry. I wish I could have been helpful. That stinks.

MicroSoft Word?? Open Word. Not a specific document, just Word. There should be a blank page. click FILE the make sure to click on the little arrow to show all the File Options. Usually, my version does, shows that last 4 documents worked on. It should be in there as Document#. The number sign being any number from 1 to whatever and Document is a default name Word gives documents. The 1 C: will be the most recent doc worked on. If you click on that one, it should open the one she was working on. Then she should use SAVE AS under File to change the name and folder.

Here's one last idea -- search your drive for files created (or modified) today. Start button, Search, Advanced Search and search your entire C drive for files created (or modified) today. Good Luck!

1. What kind of computer problems can you help with?

We can assist with a wide range of computer issues, including software troubleshooting, virus removal, hardware installation, and general tech support. If you're experiencing any problems with your computer, we're here to help!

2. How do I schedule an appointment with a computer tech?

You can schedule an appointment with one of our computer techs by contacting our customer service team or by booking online through our website. We have flexible scheduling options to accommodate your needs.

3. Do you offer remote support for computer issues?

Yes, we offer remote support for certain computer issues. Our techs can securely access your computer remotely and assist with troubleshooting and resolving the problem. This is a convenient option for minor issues or for those who cannot physically bring their computer in for repairs.

4. Can you help with setting up a new computer or transferring data to a new device?

Absolutely! Our computer techs can assist with setting up and configuring new computers, as well as transferring data and files from your old device to the new one. We can also provide guidance on backing up important data to prevent data loss.

5. Is there a warranty or guarantee for your computer tech services?

Yes, we offer a satisfaction guarantee for all of our computer tech services. If you're not completely satisfied with the service provided, we will work to make it right or provide a full refund. Your satisfaction is our top priority.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Sheila
  • lisaterwilliger
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Wildfire