• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What No-Cook Recipes Can Be Made for a Cooking Show in a Tiny Japanese Kitchen?

The crust can be over an hour old & it doesn't have to be heated to eat? If so, please share the recipe I'm only finding a few recipes mentioning that.
Sheila
Gold Member
I have a host who just moved into a Japanese home with a tiny Japanese (gas) oven (that she doesn't know how to use yet) and a Japanese microwave (different wattage than US microwaves). She has a cooking show scheduled for Friday night, but is asking for a demo that does NOT require the use of an oven or a microwave! :eek:

I told her if we could melt chocolate in her microwave, we could do an ice cream social. She was all happy about that, until she figured out that we'd have to use her freezer for the stones. Yup, you guessed it ... she has a tiny Japanese fridge with a super tiny freezer. (The Japanese do not shop like we do, they go to the grocery store EVERY day for dinner, breakfast & lunch ... the go again tomorrow for dinner, breakfast & lunch! They do not buy in quantity like Americans do, so they don't need the storage space like we do.)

So, here's the challenge! She doesn't want to use the oven or the stovetop AT ALL! She's always had electric and the thought of using gas to cook when she hasn't had time to practice is freaking her out. I told her that I was raised with a gas stove, but she didn't care. It's out. We can melt stuff in the microwave, but she's completely against COOKING anything in the microwave. I don't even think that the Deep Covered Baker would fit. I'm pretty much restricted to the small micro cooker, the 2 cup prep bowls or the 1 cup prep bowls and maybe the small batter bowl.

Come on Cheffers. Help me out here!

I had the idea to do the Fruit Topped Triple Chocolate Pizza, but that would mean that I have to do the cookie ahead of time for her.

I also thought about doing brownies in the mini muffin pan at home & then letting the guests do peanut stars on top with the Easy Accent Decorator ... but again, I'm doing all the work at home & their part is pretty boring. I certainly do NOT want people thinking that I'm in the business of catering. :yuck:

I need some ideas of what the guests can do that will make it fun and challenging!

My host last weekend wanted the After Dinner Mint Triangles but she couldn't find the Almond Bark. She didn't know what it was, so she bought almond flavored cookies instead that we crumbled & mixed it in as a substitute. We also had to substitute mint flavoring for peppermint since she couldn't find peppermint at the base grocery store either. It was okay, but just wasn't "right". So I don't want to do that one again.

Any suggestions that follows the restrictions is GREATLY appreciated!

How about Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad. You can make the hamburger in the micro cooker at her house or yours. That isn't a lot of pre-prep for you...

Tough situation! Good luck!

Don't you have to toast the buns on that one? She's refusing to use the stove/oven AT ALL. And I think she'd flip if I mentioned cooking in the microwave. She was pretty adamant about "melting" only and not cooking.

Okay, I'm not sure if this would work for you, but what about the Spicy Shrimp Ceviche Cups. You could bake the cups at your home and make sure you came with cooked shrimp (or your host purchased cooked shrimp). then the rest of the recipe is a non cooking recipe. You could also skip out on the cups and serve it in the dots martini glasses? If you didn't want an appetizer your could also do a trifle. Hope this is helpful!

I'm with Linda; I'd do a trifle! I've had such great luck and a pleased crowd when I do Janet's PB Cup Trifle. You can make the brownies ahead of time. But you still make the other layers there (cutting the PB cups and mixing the pudding) plus you assemble the whole thing in front of them. You do need the microwave for melting the PB in the micro cooker, but it sounds like that's something the host might be able to go for, right?

I don't own the trifle bowl yet. :(

Sheila said:
I don't own the trifle bowl yet. :(

Salad Pizza....
Make the crust at home & do everything else for the demo....HTH

Ginger428 said:
Salad Pizza....
Make the crust at home & do everything else for the demo....HTH

No meat, no cheese & the crust can be over an hour old & it doesn't have to be heated to eat? If so, please share the recipe I'm only finding a Chicken Cesar Salad Pizza which calls for chicken & cheese. I can't imagine eating that one cold.

Clubhouse Chicken Squares... When I make these, I always either cook the croissants when I first get there, have the host cook them ahead or make them before I leave and take with, because they're supposed to be cooled when you make it. This is a great recipe, and other than the croissants and cooking up a few pieces of bacon, which again, I always have the host do ahead of time anyway, so you could bring that too... And there are a lot of tools to demo and let the guests help with....CLUBHOUSE CHICKEN SQUARES2 pkg. (8 oz. each) refrigerated crescent rolls 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
2 Tbs. Mayonnaise 1 small garlic clove, pressed
1 can (10 oz.) chunk white chicken, drained and flaked 1 tsp. Pantry All-Purpose Dill Mix
½ small cucumber 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
½ cup (2 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese 6 bacon slices, crisply cooked, drained and crumbledPreheat oven to 375ºF. Unroll one pkg. of crescent rolls across one end of Stoneware Bar Pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. Repeat with remaining pkg. of dough, filling pan. Using Baker's Roller, roll dough to seal perforations and press up sides to form crust. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to Stackable Cooling Rack; cool completely. Place cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic pressed with Garlic Press and Dill Seasoning Mix, in Classic Batter Bowl; mix until smooth using Classic Scraper. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over cooled crust using Large Spreader. Sprinkle chicken evenly over filling. Score cucumber lengthwise using Lemon Zester/Scorer. Remove seeds using The Corer. Thinly slice cucumber using Ultimate Mandoline; cut slices into quarters using Utility Knife. Slice tomatoes in half lengthwise; remove seeds using Cook's Corer. Dice tomatoes using Chef's Knife. Grate cheese using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Sprinkle cucumber, tomatoes, cheese and bacon over filling. Serve using Mini-Serving Spatula.

Last edited:
The Tropical Torte with Fresh Pineapple doesn't require an oven at all, and it only uses the microwave to melt the sorbet (with mint) in the small batter bowl. Not sure if you'll have the ingredients available for this one, but it meets your needs. Good luck!

Clubhouse Chicken Squares! These are a huge hit whenever I do them - and I do them at all of my Bridal Showers.There are several steps beyond baking the crust (which I usually do beforehand anyway, so it's cool for the demo) and it shows all kinds of tools - plus it tastes fantastic. We love it at our house, and I've had many hosts request it. Also, it will feed a larger group.

Can you do one of the Pantry-tasting sort of party? I know there was someone on here who does that...but I can't remember who nor can I find the thread for you :(
But I did find another one that might spark an idea or two.
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f6/pantry-party-54046/You could also maybe make the dessert or item to bring with you- and then just do a "potato show" to demo the products, or the products that you used for the recipe. (Just search for "potato show" in the Files.)Good luck! Sounds like she's given you quite the challenge. The only thing she DIDN'T say you couldn't use was FOOD! :D

Ooh, I like the idea of the pantry party - thanks for the tip, Bobbi!

You could do an ice cream social without the cold stone part. They could just chop/grate, etc the toppings and mix them in their bowls.
Also, if you can get your hands on either a butane or electric single burner camp-style stove, you could take it with you and stir fry some apples in butter with cinnamon and sugar (showing the apple peeler corer slicer, or the apple wedger?, a piece of cookware, the cinnamon and either a scraper or bamboo spoon) and use it as a topping.

pamperedpartridge said:
Okay, I'm not sure if this would work for you, but what about the Spicy Shrimp Ceviche Cups. You could bake the cups at your home and make sure you came with cooked shrimp (or your host purchased cooked shrimp). then the rest of the recipe is a non cooking recipe. You could also skip out on the cups and serve it in the dots martini glasses? If you didn't want an appetizer your could also do a trifle. Hope this is helpful!

I'm with you on this one! No cook and very impressive

Lots of good ideas. I really need one of EVERYTHING in the catalog! There's so many things that I'm limited from making because I don't have the right tools. :rolleyes:

She's now saying that she wants to do hors d'œuvres herself before the guests arrive & then have us do a dessert as the demo. So it looks like we'll be sticking with the ice cream social. This is host #3 from the same Sorority group. I suspect that I'll have several more bookings off this group, and/or more future shows by the 3 who have hosted already. So I really do NOT want to mislead them that I'll cook & deliver stuff before the show ... I think that one would come back to bite me in the butt. If set a precedence now, it's likely to follow me through the crowd. ;)

I appreciate all the responses! :D

i use the mini baker in the micro for a cobbler...the cobbler that's usually done in the DCB, I do at home for myself in the mini... easy 12 min dessert, and very yummy!! 1 can pie filling, 1/2 pkg of cake mix, 1/2 stick butter...

you could also do the prep before hand, and AT the party EXPLAIN this is an "express type" show, an option of type of show you offer, etc etc so that future bookings can decide if they want a full show or express show. sometimes i prefer to do prep before hand, it eases my nerves... i've only done THREE shows, lol, but the first 2 were 'express' and it was so much easier on me!

KaiKendall said:
i use the mini baker in the micro for a cobbler...the cobbler that's usually done in the DCB, I do at home for myself in the mini... easy 12 min dessert, and very yummy!! 1 can pie filling, 1/2 pkg of cake mix, 1/2 stick butter...you could also do the prep before hand, and AT the party EXPLAIN this is an "express type" show, an option of type of show you offer, etc etc so that future bookings can decide if they want a full show or express show. sometimes i prefer to do prep before hand, it eases my nerves... i've only done THREE shows, lol, but the first 2 were 'express' and it was so much easier on me!
Ok...so I SOOOOO did not need to know that was an option to try! My waistline will not like that! :D But it is good to know....because I've wanted to try a cobbler recipe- but not wanted to have the WHOLE THING left in my house! I'm one of those people who physically can't throw out desserts even if I am the only one who eats them! *hehe*

have you thought about salad? My director does the strawberry spinach salad and says everyone loves it. Might be a nice, light intro to the ice cream dessert. I've also done the citrus chicken salad (the carmelized nuts and chicken -- which is really optional -- can be done in advance). Everyone loved it at the show I did. I chose it because it is vegan without the chicken and there was a vegan on the guest list. She didn't show, so everyone opted to have it with the chicken.
I don't envy your position. You are certainly being very accommodating (above and beyond!) I enjoy your posts and wish you lots of luck!

Apple Berry salsa? I haven't made it but I've heard FANTASTIC things about it- it's no cook and doesn't require a trifle bowl :) I believe it's in All The Best. I don't have the recipe, but I'm sure you could google it or someone here could give it to you. GL!

KaiKendall said:
i use the mini baker in the micro for a cobbler...the cobbler that's usually done in the DCB, I do at home for myself in the mini... easy 12 min dessert, and very yummy!! 1 can pie filling, 1/2 pkg of cake mix, 1/2 stick butter...

you could also do the prep before hand, and AT the party EXPLAIN this is an "express type" show, an option of type of show you offer, etc etc so that future bookings can decide if they want a full show or express show. sometimes i prefer to do prep before hand, it eases my nerves... i've only done THREE shows, lol, but the first 2 were 'express' and it was so much easier on me!

I only offer the fully interactive shows, with a show average currently at $914.81. I'm not interested in changing up my show types. I'm planning to stick to what I've already proven works. ;)

shorelinecef said:
have you thought about salad? My director does the strawberry spinach salad and says everyone loves it. Might be a nice, light intro to the ice cream dessert. I've also done the citrus chicken salad (the carmelized nuts and chicken -- which is really optional -- can be done in advance). Everyone loved it at the show I did. I chose it because it is vegan without the chicken and there was a vegan on the guest list. She didn't show, so everyone opted to have it with the chicken.

I'm not a salad eater, therefore I didn't even think about a salad. Might work! :p I'll suggest it & see what she says.

shorelinecef said:
...I don't envy your position. You are certainly being very accommodating (above and beyond!) I enjoy your posts and wish you lots of luck!

Awe, thanks!!! :)

kdangel518 said:
Apple Berry salsa? I haven't made it but I've heard FANTASTIC things about it- it's no cook and doesn't require a trifle bowl :) I believe it's in All The Best. I don't have the recipe, but I'm sure you could google it or someone here could give it to you. GL!

I just looked up that recipe & it sounds YUMMY! I don't have 3 of the tools required (APCS, Lemon Zester, juicer) but I think we could improvise with other tools. I'll give that one to her as a suggestion too since it looks like we won't be able to freeze the stones at her house.

1. What is "Help! a Recipe Challenge!"?

"Help! a Recipe Challenge!" is a fun and interactive game where you can submit your own recipe ideas and get feedback and suggestions from other Pampered Chef consultants.

2. How do I participate in "Help! a Recipe Challenge!"?

To participate in "Help! a Recipe Challenge!", simply log in to your Pampered Chef account and click on the "Help! a Recipe Challenge!" tab. From there, you can submit your recipe ideas and view and vote on other consultant's submissions.

3. Can I submit more than one recipe for the challenge?

Yes, you can submit as many recipe ideas as you'd like for "Help! a Recipe Challenge!" However, we recommend focusing on quality over quantity to increase your chances of receiving helpful feedback.

4. How long will the challenge be open for submissions?

The duration of "Help! a Recipe Challenge!" may vary, but typically it will be open for submissions for 1-2 weeks. After that, the voting period will begin.

5. Is there a prize for winning "Help! a Recipe Challenge!"?

While there is no official prize for winning "Help! a Recipe Challenge!", it's a great opportunity to get your recipe ideas noticed by other consultants and potentially get featured in our Pampered Chef recipes. Plus, the feedback and suggestions you receive can help improve and refine your recipes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • Nep2nfly
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
menehune
  • Pampered Angel