• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Hawaiian Recipes for Homesick Island Transplants - Aloha and Mahalo!

In summary, Marghi is transplanted to the mainland and misses the flavors of her island home. She has some ideas for dishes that would be great for a local show, and she also has some recipes from her Filipino father.
BlueMoon
Hi,
I'm transplanted many years ago to the mainland, missing my island flavors. (Fried rice with spam only goes so far.)

Do any of you cheffers in Hawaii have any PC versions of local food? Maybe kalua pig in the DCB? or some kind of mango or guava thing? or?

much aloha, and mahalo in advance

Marghi

The Tres Leche Trifle has coconut milk in it--will that help??

A couple season's ago the SBRB had some tropical recipes.

I'm new to Hawaii, and I haven't done any local favorites for shows just yet. (At least none like you've mentioned.) However, my host director and the majority of her cluster are Hawaiian. I'll see what I can dig up for ya. :)

Thanks for the ideas, everyone, and Angie I am really looking forward to what you find.There are transplanted islanders all over the country, and some from other island nations have similar dishes. I think if we can come up with a few Pacific Islands recipes we'll have a cool tool, not just for my tummy but for customers, too!Angie, try everything they offer you, unless you have allergies, but remember some things are an acquired taste.Welcome to Hawaii- make sure you get out of Honolulu (where I grew up) and see some other parts, too!Marghi

Thanks so much, Marghi! We are loving it here so far. We just spent 3.5 years in Okinawa (3.5 years in England before that), and I'm used to the acquired taste bit. :) BTW, my dad's wife is Filipino, and I know she makes some of her dishes. I'm doing a show in Kentucky for her this summer, and I was planning on making pancit and lumpia. It'll be fun, fun!! I do remember my host director here telling me she sells a lot of cookware by showing how little oil you need, how to eat healthier, etc. She is a wonderful lady, and a wealth of information!! I just sent her an email, and I'll let ya know what she says. BTW, I'm doing bazaars at Aiea Elementary and Aliiolani Elementary this fall. Any of those ring a bell?? :)

Aiea and Aiolani? Oh yes!

We moved a lot, but mainly on the Windward side, so I went to Castle High, but Waiane Intermediate, and as a little kid we lived in Honolulu. I went to Royal and Maemae Elementary, and started off at Koko Head for kindergarten. Of course, all that was long long long ago.

In a flash of "brilliant" decision making (brilliant like most teenage decisions, lol) I moved to the mainland for college, and then its hard to come back, once you put down adult roots.

Sill miss it, even though Ive been gone so long.

Thanks for the tips, looking forward to whatever else you find.

Marghi

Hello Marghi! I completely understand your longing for island flavors while being away from home. Luckily, Pampered Chef has some amazing products that can help you recreate those delicious Hawaiian dishes in the comfort of your own home. Our Deep Covered Baker is perfect for making kalua pig - simply season your pork with some Hawaiian sea salt, wrap it in ti leaves, and let it slow cook in the DCB for a tender and flavorful dish. And for a sweet tropical treat, our Pineapple Wedger is great for quickly slicing up fresh pineapple for a refreshing snack or dessert. Mahalo for reaching out and happy cooking! Aloha, - Pampered Chef Consultant

1. What are some popular Hawaiian dishes for a Luau?

Some popular Hawaiian dishes for a Luau include Kalua Pork, Lomi Lomi Salmon, Chicken Long Rice, and Haupia (coconut pudding).

2. Are there any vegetarian options for a Luau?

Yes, there are plenty of vegetarian options for a Luau such as grilled vegetables, fruit skewers, and poi (taro root paste).

3. How do I make a traditional Hawaiian-style poke?

To make a traditional Hawaiian-style poke, start with fresh, cubed raw fish (usually tuna), and mix it with soy sauce, sesame oil, green onions, and sesame seeds. Serve over rice or on its own as an appetizer.

4. Can I make a Hawaiian luau-themed dessert with Pampered Chef products?

Yes, you can make a delicious Hawaiian luau-themed dessert with Pampered Chef products. For example, you can use our Pineapple Corer and Slicer to create a beautiful pineapple boat filled with fresh fruit, or our Ice Shaver to make shaved ice for a classic Hawaiian treat.

5. How long does it take to prepare a traditional Hawaiian luau?

The preparation time for a Hawaiian luau can vary depending on the number of dishes being served and the size of the gathering. However, it is recommended to start preparations at least a day in advance to allow for marinating and cooking time. Some dishes, like Kalua Pork, may take several hours to cook, so it's best to plan accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefrhondab
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
lt1jane
Back