• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hawaii Drops Universal Child Health Care

and it was just too expensive. Plus, we live in a state that doesn't have BCBS. We'll have to look into Assurant. insurance is such a PITA. We now have 3 kids, and we looked into our own insurance last year.... and it was just too expensive. Plus, we live in a state that doesn't have BCBS. We'll have to look into Assurant.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Fans of nationalized health care - pay attention to this. The Hawaii experiment is a microcosm of what will happen to health care if it is turned over to the government. Be careful what you wish for!

HONOLULU (AP) — Hawaii is dropping the only state universal child health care program in the United States just seven months after it launched.

Gov. Linda Lingle's administration cited budget shortfalls and other available health care options for eliminating funding for the program. A state official said families were dropping private coverage so their children would be eligible for the subsidized plan.

"People who were already able to afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free," said Dr. Kenny Fink, the administrator for Med-QUEST at the Department of Human Services. "I don't believe that was the intent of the program."

State officials said Thursday they will stop giving health coverage to the 2,000 children enrolled by Nov. 1, but private partner Hawaii Medical Service Association will pay to extend their coverage through the end of the year without government support. <snip>

Link: Hawaii drops universal child health care

Hmmm very, very interesting! Very interesting indeedy!

Isn't it though??

I thought WI had a universal health care system for children? (or at least for children of uninsured parents?)

Hathery said:
I thought WI had a universal health care system for children? (or at least for children of uninsured parents?)

That's what they say, but when we tried to do it last year, we were still judged based on our income, and I KID YOU NOT, we were $200 above the income requirement. No go for us.

(My husband is a lawyer and his boss does not provide insurance. Right now, we are cobra-ing from my old job.)

Hathery said:

I believe that is the Forward program which is based on income. It is a government program like WIC and other things.

There is a program here called Badger Care that was implemented under the Tommy Thompson Administration.Wisconsin added a rule that the do-gooders in Hawaii screwed up, and I quote from the website: BadgerCare Plus is designed for people who do not currently have access to health insurance. It is not designed to replace private insurance. For that reason, we have established specific rules that do not allow most people to drop their private insurance to participate in BadgerCare Plus.

I know that here in IL, we have something similar. In fact, my kids are on it. It's based on income & it's tough. We were low enough to receiving it without waiting. My cousin tried to get in but her income was too high by $1,000/month. Her kids have to go 12 months without insurance to be covered. The irony in the $1,000 is that's what her private healthcare costs for the kids.

Indiana has a version of this as well, but it is also income based.

Jessamary said:
That's what they say, but when we tried to do it last year, we were still judged based on our income, and I KID YOU NOT, we were $200 above the income requirement. No go for us.

(My husband is a lawyer and his boss does not provide insurance. Right now, we are cobra-ing from my old job.)

Jess, you might want to check into the PC insurance, if you guys don't have any preexisting conditions..it's definitely cheaper than Cobra, which a JOKE.

Jessamary said:

Have you looked into Assurant or Blue Cross Blue Shield? Both have plans starting as low as $50.00 per month! Cobra is a rip off.. please feel free to check out the above companies online for comparisons. I hope you are able to find just what you need! :)

Kitchen Diva said:
Have you looked into Assurant or Blue Cross Blue Shield? Both have plans starting as low as $50.00 per month! Cobra is a rip off.. please feel free to check out the above companies online for comparisons. I hope you are able to find just what you need! :)

We had private insurance a few years ago. BCBS. It was just the three of us, and it cost us $350 a month. The problem is where we live, BCBS doesn't cover squat. I'll have to look into Assurant. Now that we're done having kids (I think), it could be an option.

Insurance is such a PITA. We now have 3 kids, and we looked into our own insurance last year. I believe it was something like $900 a month. And that was for a mostly no-frills coverage. I'm too scared to do a high deductable.

Three kids (6, 3, and 17 months) are at the doctor A LOT. To the point where I say, "Hi this is Jessica L--------," and they say, "Is it one of the boys or Annie?"

When people hear that my husband's boss doesn't provide insurance (or any benefits, actually, unless you count unlimited mini-golf or boat trips), their eyes come out of their head. It's ridiculous.

Jessamary said:
We had private insurance a few years ago. BCBS. It was just the three of us, and it cost us $350 a month. The problem is where we live, BCBS doesn't cover squat. I'll have to look into Assurant. Now that we're done having kids (I think), it could be an option.

Insurance is such a PITA. We now have 3 kids, and we looked into our own insurance last year. I believe it was something like $900 a month. And that was for a mostly no-frills coverage. I'm too scared to do a high deductable.

Three kids (6, 3, and 17 months) are at the doctor A LOT. To the point where I say, "Hi this is Jessica L--------," and they say, "Is it one of the boys or Annie?"

When people hear that my husband's boss doesn't provide insurance (or any benefits, actually, unless you count unlimited mini-golf or boat trips), their eyes come out of their head. It's ridiculous.

Well, hopefully Assurant will have something for you. If I find any other companies that might be of service to you, I'll PM you! :)

I'm with Steph, Jessica- you need to check into the insurance that's offered to PC consultants. There's contact info on Consultant's Corner, with the Pampered Perks. I know someone who has it, and she pays less than she did buying private insurance before this was offered. Coverage varies, and carriers vary, too. But we basically get a group rate. It's worth checking out!

1. What is "Hawaii Drops Universal Child Health Care"?

"Hawaii Drops Universal Child Health Care" refers to the decision made by the state of Hawaii to end their universal child health care program in 2014. This program, known as the "Keiki Care" program, provided health insurance for all children in Hawaii regardless of their family's income or immigration status.

2. Why did Hawaii end the universal child health care program?

The Keiki Care program was initially implemented in 2009 as a temporary solution to provide health insurance for children in Hawaii during the economic recession. However, due to the high costs and budget constraints, the state government decided to end the program in 2014.

3. What happens to children who were covered by the universal child health care program?

Children who were covered by the Keiki Care program were transitioned to the Medicaid program or could purchase subsidized health insurance through the federal marketplace. Some families may also be eligible for other state-funded health insurance programs.

4. Are there any efforts to reinstate the universal child health care program in Hawaii?

There have been ongoing efforts to revive the Keiki Care program in Hawaii. In 2017, a bill was introduced in the state legislature to reinstate the program, but it did not pass. The issue continues to be a topic of discussion and advocacy in the state.

5. How does the lack of universal child health care in Hawaii affect families and children?

The end of the Keiki Care program has left many families struggling to afford health insurance for their children. Without access to affordable health care, children may miss out on essential preventative care and treatments, leading to potential long-term health consequences. The lack of universal child health care also disproportionately affects low-income families and immigrant families who may not have access to other options for health insurance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • koima
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pampermejolene
Back