• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you tried using Bread Tubes for baking with refrigerated dough?

In summary, it is best to use a whole tube of Pillsbury French Bread dough for the bread tube and it takes at least an hour to bake. It should be handwashed as it is not dishwasher safe. It is suggested to cut 2 inches off when using a one pound loaf of thawed, frozen bread dough, but not necessary with refrigerated dough. Additionally, it is important to sit the bread tube upright in the
its_me_susan
Are they difficult to use & clean? I have one... can I use refrigerated dough?

Thanks!
Susan :)

I have used mine and it worked great. I just used a tube of Pillsbury French Bread dough. Someone told me you are supposed to cut a piece off the end of the dough before you put it in the tube. She said she did that and it turned out funny. I have never cut it off and it turns out fine. My cousin tried to make a homemade pumpkin bread and it started running out all over the place. She said once it stopped, it baked fine and turned out great, but what a mess!!!

jenniferlynne said:
I have used mine and it worked great. I just used a tube of Pillsbury French Bread dough. Someone told me you are supposed to cut a piece off the end of the dough before you put it in the tube. She said she did that and it turned out funny. I have never cut it off and it turns out fine. My cousin tried to make a homemade pumpkin bread and it started running out all over the place. She said once it stopped, it baked fine and turned out great, but what a mess!!!

So you use the whole dough stick (it's huge)? Stuff it in?
Thanks for your help!

Yep, I just shoved it down in there and it baked fine. It took at least an hour, but turned out great. Like I said, a friend said she cut the end off to make it fit better and it didn't turn out right. Just make sure you sit it upright in the oven.

YES use the whole roll of the French Bread. It turns out great - I baked like 6 ahead of time for my daughters wedding, cut them into the little flower shapes and froze them in gallon ziploc bags. They were awesome with a cheese spread & we used some for open face chicken salad. Got lots of compliments.

Thanks ladies!!!! Really takes an hour? I only have one.... Hmmmm. Ok how about cleaning? DW safe?

I looked on the PIG (product information guide) and it said it does need to be hand washed or it will rust. I guess this is why mine is all rusty. When my son was 1, he use to sneak it out of the cabinet, take the ends off, and put his leg in it and walk around like he had a peg leg. I was always sticking it in the dishwasher.

Susan - the bread tube is NOT dishwasher safe! :(

I LOVE my bread tube. It is a lot of fun to use. :)

Jenniferlynne - In the VERY old Seasons Best the instructions for making the canape bread, it said to cut off some of the dough from the loaf before baking. In the newer books it does not say to do this.

I have attached some bread tube recipes and ideas. I don't remember where I got this from. :confused:

Have fun!

Lee Anne

Attachments

• Bread Tube Recipes.doc
    37 KB · Views: 1,251
I was the one who cut the ends off the bread when I borrowed it from jenniferlynne. I had used it for one of my first shows before I bought my own. She told me how much she loved it and let me try it out. I followed the PIG that came in it and it says to cut 2 inches of dough from one end. I did that and when it was done baking, one end of it didn't form. Now when I use it I use the whole thing and do not cut any off. Just cram it in there. :D

krzymomof4 said:
I was the one who cut the ends off the bread when I borrowed it from jenniferlynne. I had used it for one of my first shows before I bought my own. She told me how much she loved it and let me try it out. I followed the PIG that came in it and it says to cut 2 inches of dough from one end. I did that and when it was done baking, one end of it didn't form. Now when I use it I use the whole thing and do not cut any off. Just cram it in there. :D

After reading your post you got me thinking, so I dug around till I found my PIG. We are BOTH right.... it says when using a one pound loaf of thawed, frozen bread dough to cut off 2 inches of dough. When using refrigerated bread dough just bake it (no cutting required). :)

I forgot all about being able to use frozen bread dough! :eek: I'm glad I got out my use and care card!

Lee Anne

Love the ideasThanks for posting the ideas- I have the older bread tubes (the star shape and the scalloped-I used to have the heart one but my dog recently chewed it up :( )
I usually just use them for the refridgerated frenchbread. One time one using the star shaped on , I heard a POP! in the oven and the cover had popped off. Maybe this is why they were improved! so I do remove a piece if I am using the star.

The old tubes didn't have a hole in the for the steam to get out. My tube is the old one. My husband just drilled a hole in one end.

jenniferlynne said:
The old tubes didn't have a hole in the for the steam to get out. My tube is the old one. My husband just drilled a hole in one end.

I just acquired a star tube; is this an old one?

I don't know if any of the other shapes ever had holes in the ends or not. If not, just poke a hole in it with an ice pick or something, and it should be fine.

Star tubeYes, the star tube is an old one. I'd love to get a couple of the old shapes - my kids love sandwiches made with the different bread shapes.

I use the old square ones to mold soap, and two minute fudge. (wash well between uses) I love it becuase it just slides out and you can cut into even pieces.

Which Bread Tubes?Does anyone have a preference when it comes to the 3 differnt shapes of the bread tubes? Also, when the bread is cooked, does it come out really dark brown or does it come out light brown? Is one shape easier to work with than the others? :)

Last edited:
TriciaAnn said:
Does anyone have a preference when it comes to the 3 differnt shapes of the bread tubes? Also, when the bread is cooked, does it come out really dark brown or does it come out light brown? Is one shape easier to work with than the others? :)
All the shapes work about the same as long as you oil the tube well. If you're using it for a show I would definitely use the scalloped one because it's the only one they can buy!

The bread comes out light brown if you cook it for 50 minutes.

Beth Brigham said:
All the shapes work about the same as long as you oil the tube well. If you're using it for a show I would definitely use the scalloped one because it's the only one they can buy!

The bread comes out light brown if you cook it for 50 minutes.

How do you oil well? Seems difficult?

its_me_susan said:
How do you oil well? Seems difficult?

I use my kitchen spritzer and it works wonderful!

I just made banana bread tonight and it ran all over my oven.:eek: Does anybody have any pointers on what to do differently?

rennea said:
I just made banana bread tonight and it ran all over my oven.:eek: Does anybody have any pointers on what to do differently?

You have to add less liquid than your recipe calls for. The bread tube is for thicker, denser breads. Your usual quick bread batters will be way too thin.

I used a recipe off of here. The only liquid was one egg and 1/4cup of butter!! I'll have to maybe cut down on the butter:rolleyes:

I have a bread tube and I use it all the time, as a matter of fact it is my oven right now!! I use it for the Tex Mex Chicken melts and also the vegetable mini quiches in the All The Best Cookbook. It also have the recipe for the Canape bread in it! My host today is making ice cream in hers, can't wait to see how it turns out!

rennea said:
I haven't used mine yet for anything but the french bread loaf recipes, but from everything that I have heard you want to either take a slice of bread and put in the bottom of the tube, or put aluminum foil around the bottom and up the sides.

two minute fudge - Shana - Please share recipe....Shana,

I've love your 2 minute fudge recipe you put in this.

I also use mine for soap, make the nicest hostess gifts and unique gift ideas for people. I generally take to a couple shows in fall and tell how I make them and sell lots of them.

Lisa

Does anyone have soap recipes? I'd love to make some.

jdavis said:
I haven't used mine yet for anything but the french bread loaf recipes, but from everything that I have heard you want to either take a slice of bread and put in the bottom of the tube, or put aluminum foil around the bottom and up the sides.

Thanks so much, I'll try this today. The banana bread after it stopped running out the end did turn out inside. It was very tasty, I just had to slice the messy end off and clean my oven;)

rennea said:

I have been told to use parchement paper...I think I cut the pp and folded it in half and then placed over one end and then put the cover on.. I think foil would be easier to use and form though. I also put a baking sheet on the rack below so I wouldn't have to clean my oven! It was a long time ago - before the two kids started draining my brain!:)

Leea

I tried banana bread in mine this week with a disaster. I put foil on the ends and it still spilled out. I did forgot to reduce the liquid though. I will try it again when I get up enough nerve. Boy i was glad I had seen the suggestions to put a pan under it, ha! Here is a recipe that I use mine for all of the time, called North Stars. They are delicious! I got the recipe from here somwhere.

Attachments

• North Stars.doc
    24 KB · Views: 612
Bread tubesI just bought two of the discontinued tubes at a thrift store for a dollar each. They were still in the plastic and in the orginal box.
This will make good prize giveaways.:) :) :) :)

Funny thing about those older bread tubes....they were called Valtrompia tubes when I attended my mom's show about 10-11 years ago (the show where she said I should become a consultant-should have listened huh?). Anyway...we made a loaf of bread for one of the recipes. During the baking the lid popped off and the bread cooked around the top of the tube creating a mushroom shape. When it was finished cooking, the end result looked well....rather X-rated! Ever since I cannot use the bread tubes without giggling!!! LOL

Really did LOL on that one. That would be just my luck. I had heard that the old ones didn't have the vent hole in the top of them so the lid would pop off of them.

bread tubesi just made the s'mores treats in them!! so easy and so yummy!!!

erinyourpclady said:
Funny thing about those older bread tubes....they were called Valtrompia tubes when I attended my mom's show about 10-11 years ago (the show where she said I should become a consultant-should have listened huh?). Anyway...we made a loaf of bread for one of the recipes. During the baking the lid popped off and the bread cooked around the top of the tube creating a mushroom shape. When it was finished cooking, the end result looked well....rather X-rated! Ever since I cannot use the bread tubes without giggling!!! LOL

ROFl:eek: How did the consultant keep a straight face??!!

jcwarr said:
i just made the s'mores treats in them!! so easy and so yummy!!!

recipe please???

erinyourpclady said:

OMGoodness! I would have DIED! lol.

jdavis said:
Really did LOL on that one. That would be just my luck. I had heard that the old ones didn't have the vent hole in the top of them so the lid would pop off of them.

Yeah I have a couple of the old bread tubes and no they don't have the vent holes. My husband took them and drilled a small hole on one of the lids so it wouldn't pop off while the bread was cooking. So now I don't here the sound of the lid popping off when I'm making french bread in them. LOL

Soap in Bread TubeGlycerin Soap in Bread Tubes

2 lb. Brick Moisturizing Clear Glycerin Soap
Soap Dyes (I used liquid Life of the Party Essentials)
Soap Fragrances (I used Life of the Party Essentials)
for my scent I used Vanilla & Lavender which is a really light scent

1. Take brick & flip out onto Cutting Board. Cut into individual Cubes using the utility knife & put cut cubes into 2 qt. batter bowl.
2. Microwave 40 seconds on High, stir & then continue with
10-30 second intervals, stirring each time. * *They say 10 second intervals & I've done in MY microwave up to 30 seconds each time without scorching but try what works with yours This is a very sticky job, I ended up using scraper & then using nylon scraper to scrap off stuff of knife & scraper.
3. After I had it melted, I added the color (That I played with, added little at time until I got the color I wanted) & then for scent I again played with it, directions said use so many drops per weight & I just used minimum, stirred & smelled it, & added a little more. (As I have asthma I didn't want it strong, as who knows who has problems with strong scents)
4. Once you've got it melted, colored, & scented, the you take bread tube, put a piece of alum. foil at bottom (& try to get as FLAT as possible) before putting cap on & pour a little -about ½" of soap into tube, sprinkle with Alcohol (this disperses bubbles) & place upright in freezer for about 5-10 minutes - Just enough to "seal" the bottom so when you pour the rest in it won't leak out of the bottom. (During the time you're waiting for this to set, you will need to keep the glycerin melting or heating in microwave as it'll set up easily) Then, when the bottom is sealed, pour the rest of the soap (I've been told tube holds about 2 pounds of soap) & sprinkle with alcohol again this disperses the air bubbles that form. (I didn't do the last step & I had allot I had to cut away that had bubble through it, so remember to do this!! (The size of container of glycerin (2 lb. brick) I bought only filled the flower/ scalloped tube about ¾ full). Each is different!! The heart fills with 2 lbs.
5. Then put the tube upright into freezer for minimum of 40 minutes, I had to leave mine for almost an hour before it felt hard all the way, & then take out, pop one end off & it slides right out. I then used the utility knife** & cut it into 10 pieces & then when I gave it out, I put into a clear
sandwich ziploc bag, & tied with raffia (& then cut the
ziploc part off) as I didn't have any other bags to put it
into. (I did have pieces with bubbles that my family is
using as I didn't want to give it out, didn't look right)
**Also, I could have used the crinkle cutter to cut
these, it's very easy to cut (but hard to keep a straight
line as you're doing for first couple of cuts). If using the
crinkle cutter as I've done since my first batch,
I push out little but, & cut right along edge of bread tube. I cleaned everything up & have used everything again with out a soapy taste!!
Had I thought ahead, which I didn't I would have been checking when glycerin went on sale or used a 40% off coupon, as block I bought was around $9.00, color I got on clearance for $1.00 & scent I think was $3.00, but I've still got lots of the scent left to make more batches.

Another note, these DID NOT work with the STAR bread tube, as I couldn't get it to release all the way around to come out.

HTH,

Lisa

I was wondering if I made a loaf of bread in the tubes (got a bunch in my "boxes" at conference), then made the artichoke chicken salad, if the small scoop would be enough to put on top of the slice? rather than making the bread in the muffin pan (that I dont have).

Do you think the small scoop is enough filling? too much filling? for the slice of bread?

Lisa/ChefBear said:
Shana,

I've love your 2 minute fudge recipe you put in this.

I also use mine for soap, make the nicest hostess gifts and unique gift ideas for people. I generally take to a couple shows in fall and tell how I make them and sell lots of them.

Lisa

The basic recipe for 2 minute fudge is 1 tub frosting and one bag chocolate chips. I like to get creative with it though, I do rocky road, peanut butter, white choco and my personal favorite is white choco cranberry pretzel. Just use the same amount of frosting and chips and you can add just about anything to it. (no water or wet food of course) mirco for one minute and then stir! You do have to press pretty hard to get it out of the tube, I find that the kitchen spritzer works well.
Enjoy!

bread shapes......
dannyzmom said:

She didn't!! LOL!!! She and her sister did the shows together and they were a riot! Karen and my mom worked together so everyone at the show knew each other very well! LOL!!

My mom and I still call it *****(the correct term for male genitalia) bread when we make french bread in the tubes. LOL!!! Oh and we still call them Valtrompia tubes but we say VAL..trummm...PIA in a sing song voice!!

dannyzmom said:

Sorry lack of sleep - what is ROFI?

s'mores recipeCrispy S'more Treats
(from Casual Cooking Cookbook)

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups cocoa krispies cereal
6 whole graham crackers, coarsely chopped
3 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
3 1/2 cups mini marshmallows, divided
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Place lid on bottom of Scalloped Bread Tube; spray inside of bread tube with Pam, set aside. Put cereal in the classic batter bowl, coarsely chop the graham crackers using the food chopper and add to cereal, set aside.
2. Melt butter in the 4 qt saucepan (I used my 12” Family Skillet), add the brown sugar, melt over low heat, stirring occasionally with mix ‘n scraper. Add 2 1/2 cups of the marshmallows, keep stirring until melted. Add the cereal mixture and stir until well coated. Then add the remaining 1 cup marshmallows that were not melted.
3. Using the large scoop sprayed with Pam, immediately put the mix into the bread tube. Use the tart shaper to push the cereal down, then after it is filled let it cool completely.
4. Take the tart shaper and push the s'mores out of the tube. Slice the s'mores into the slices. at this time you want to microwave the chocolate chips in the small micro-cooker on high for 45 seconds to a minute. Pour the chocolate into a plastic bag twist and secure. Cut a hole in the bottom and decorate the s'more slices w/ the chocolate.

This is really easy to do!

supposed to be ROFL (rolling on floor laughing)

the older style bread tubes were slightly smaller and a piece of the refrigerated dough had to be cut off but that is not the case with the current one.

pchefinski said:
supposed to be ROFL (rolling on floor laughing)

Thank You! I'll blame the heat too - it's 11pm and it's still in the 80's here in MN! Blah!

We had a block party this weekend...I'm still recovering, but that's another story...and I made a recipe I have for "Sweet Summer Fruit Bruschetta" and made bread in all the different tubes. People thought it was pretty neat! Want the recipe? Here it is...pretty yummy!

Sweet Summer Fruit Bruschetta (not PC, but maybe it should be...)

24 baguette slices, 1/4" thick
1/4 c butter, softened
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 c chopped peaches or nectarines (the new Santuko worked GREAT for this!)
1/2 c chopped plums
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp chopped glazed walnuts *recipe follows

1. Lay baguette slices on baking sheet. Mix butter, 4 Tbsp brown sugar and cinnamon, spread on baguettes. Broil 1-2 min. WATCH THEM, THEY WILL BURN! (I suppose you could just set the oven HOT and not broil and put it on stoneware...I don't know...maybe I should have tried it because I burned some! The All-Purpose spreader works pretty well to scrape off the burned parts...!)

2. In a small bowl, stir together remaining 2 Tbsp brown sugar, fruit, and lime juice. Spoon equal amounts over bred slices and top with walnuts

*Glazed Walnuts

1 c walnuts
2 Tbsp corn syrup
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Toss ingredients to evenly coat nuts. Spread on baking sheet lined with waxed paper or parchment paper. Bake in preheated 325 oven until nuts are golden and sugar is bubbling, stirring occasionally to break up clumps, about 15 minutes. Cool completely, store airtight.

BethCooks4U said:
the older style bread tubes were slightly smaller and a piece of the refrigerated dough had to be cut off but that is not the case with the current one.

I'm glad you posted that, I was planning on using the 4 tubes I got in my surprise pack this week or next.

jdavis said:
I'm glad you posted that, I was planning on using the 4 tubes I got in my surprise pack this week or next.

were surprise pack tubes the old ones? I got stars, hearts, squares, and flower

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gilchrist_pchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • gothim0802
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl