• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Target Now Selling Affordable Calphalon Cookware – How to Compete?

In summary, the cookware that Target is selling is not the same quality as the professional cookware.
Sk8Mom209
Gold Member
I was in Target yesterday and almost fell over. Target is not selling Calphalon cookware. As far as I could tell, it is the same cookware that we have been telling customers/hosts is double to price of ours at high end department stores.

You can buy a twelve piece set for $249.99 at Target. How are we going to compete with this? Everyone I know shops at Target. :confused:

It's so hard to compare cookware like that. You really need to know all the specifications of the cookware to accurately compare it. There are different gauges of the aluminum, which is how thick it is, so I'd be curious to know the exact details of that cookware. The shape of it is important too. LIke the new Executive cookware, the subtle shape of the pans make it better cookware. Was it hard-anodized? At least for the professional cookware, this means it's a very hard and sturdy layer that makes it more durable than most cookware that isn't hard-anodized. Was it oven-safe too?

Those are just things I would look for to see if it accurately can be compared to our cookware. From what I've seen, some cookware may look like ours, but the other details are what are important to consider. You bring up a very good point and hopefully the Product Information Guide will be good at distinguishing why our type of cookware is superior. It would be nice if the HO puts out some nice flyer or something about the cookware. I know there used to be one available on paperwork/supply that was good at describing the features of the professional and generation II sets.

From HOHi, this just came across my cluster loop from Home Office in response to a question about what makes Executive Cookware better than Professional. I'm sending it as it was sent to me, so formatting is a little weird!

Hope this helps!

Happy selling!

Attachments

• Pro_verses_Executive.doc
    38.5 KB · Views: 623
I haveaI lamentated flyer from my director, comparing this exact cookware to our cookware. The only difference was it was only available in stores like macy's and it was just a bit more expensive than the professional cookware. The selling point was, with the pampered chef, you could host a show and get it half price.

We can longer do that. You can buy a 12 pc set of hard-anodized oven safe, professional grade cookware at Target for less than the 1/2 price Pampered chef price.

I did not really push the cookware in the past, I talk about it at every show and pass the comparison chart around and always tell hosts about it, but generally my customers/hosts felt is was way over priced. I feel that I am going to really have a difficult time selling the cookware now.

Please do not misunderstand, I love our cookware. I purchased the complete professional cookware (sets & open stock) and put my old cookware in the garage sale box. I just feel that with the same quality product available at Target for less, I am going to have difficultly selling it.

I looked at the cookware I think you were talking about from K-Mart. This is what the description is:
This 12-pc. Kitchen Essentials® from Calphalon® nonstick cookware set lets you stock your kitchen cupboards with the cookware you'll use most. These durable nonstick pots and pans include: 1-qt. sauce pan, 3-qt. sauté pan with glass cover, 2-qt. saucepan with glass cover, 8-qt. stock pot with glass cover, 4-qt. saucepan with glass cover, 8" omelette pan, 10" omelette pan and 12" omelette pan. Each has a scrubbable hard-anodized exterior that won't chip, crack or peel. Stay-cool metal handles are made for comfortable stove-top cooking, and tempered glass lids allow you to keep an eye on what's cooking. Oven-safe to 375°. Hand wash. Imported.
I didn't see anything about a warranty.
They also have an 11-pc for $229.99 (web only). It's description is:
This KitchenAid hard-anodized nonstick 11-pc. set comes in a brushed charcoal gray color and is constructed of a durable hard-anodized aluminum with a quick-cleaning, 3-layer Superior Nonstick System that offers outstanding food release. The set's CoolGrip handles provide a cushioned, secure grip. Oven safe to 400(F. The 11-pc. set includes 1-, 2- and 3-qt. saucepans with break-resistant glass lids, 8-qt. saucepan with lid, 10" French skillet and a 12" sauté pan with lid. Constructed of stainless steel and aluminum. Hand wash. Imported.
Still not sure about warranty.
Hope this helped.
Brandy

Don't Panic!!Hello ladies,
It seems we have panicked too quickly. After surfing the web while nursing my son I have found that there is a reason why they are cheaper. You see Caphalon has a contract with Target to put out cheapie versions of their good cookware (which is the one that actually compares to PC cookware but is way too expensive). Ok this cheap set at Target has a 10 year warranty only. And read what else they say:
Minor imperfections, surface markings as a result of shipping, and slight color variations are normal.
So you see if at PC we are unhappy with a discoloration, surface scratch or even a dent we get a NEW one!! Read it for yourselves at:
http://www.calphalon.com/calphalon/consumer/jhtml/kitchenEssentials.jhtml
You see this is not the Caphalon One that costs almost $500. Also for your information Caphalon does not use Dupont Autograph non stick coating like PC does. The Caphalon does have a lifetime guarantee. But it is really expensive compared to our $440 and 1/2 price of $220.
I have a comparison sheet I gladly pass around at my shows that lets everyone know we are the BEST!!!!
Thank you,
Debbie

Debbie,
Would you mind posting that flyer you pass around at shows or could you email it to me at [email protected]? That would be great!! :)

Hi Debbie,
Would you mind sending me a copy of the comparison sheet you pass around at your shows. [email protected]

Thanks in advance

ComparisonDebbie,

Can you forward me a copy of your comparison, so that I can compare it to the one I have. Thanks. [email protected]

Cookware comparison flyerI don't want to sound rude or anything but I only make that flyer available for my members. I have a flyer membership and I only make that available to them. Some things I put a lot of work into and I only make it available for them so that they really feel I am giving them their money's worth ($1 a month). I create flyers for them, games, show themes, recommended recipes and give advice for shows. I do pass around a lot of help on this website plus flyers but some things I can't share. sorry.
Thanks, Debbie

Hope this helps...;) I found this one on this site a few days ago...hope it helps!

Attachments

• cookware comparison.doc
    34 KB · Views: 460
Thanks
kimmers said:
Here is one, but it looks like it hasn't been updated to include the Executive cookware, but it compares to other higher priced sets. I have another one at home, that I can post later.

http://www.chefsuccess.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1290

HTH.

Kim

This is the same one that I have and just wanted to make sure my was accurate as a previous posted indicated the Calphalon was much more expensive than ours before the 1/2 off. I did not want to be misrepresenting to my customers!

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the charts ladies!

:)

Debbie, could you clarify what you mean by your members?

Debbie,

How does one become a member of your flyer club? Is it for customers, consultants in your cluster or is it open to anybody? You can post info here or e-mail me at [email protected]

How odd. Maybe Debbie has a group of consultants that she charges money to give them her flyers? I dunno. I have never even thought of doing that! Hmm... I've always shared whatever I find with other consultants. Doh. Maybe I'm the naive one. LOL :D :eek: :eek:

Amen, Laura.

ComparisonI would also like a copy if you could forward to me as well. [email protected] Have a great day!

Titanium Alloy CookwareFWIW...

There appears to be a great deal of titanium-aluminum alloy cookware out there, much of it from vendors that (I'm embarrassed to admit) I've never heard of before. Anolon and ScanPan offer titanium alloy cookware at prices considerably lower than the PC Executive line. However, other than pricing, it is difficult to find much data about the competing lines. Lots of wild claims and lists of features (without benefits) but little substance.

Because comparing multi-piece sets is meaningless, I usually make a cursory comparison of 12" skillets (and the roasting pan, sometimes) before making an in-depth study. At first glance, the Executive skillet ($125) and the Professional skillet ($108) appear to be out of line to the Analon ($75) and the ScanPan ($69) 12" skillets. On closer inspection, I think the PC cookware will stand up to scrutiny with weight (gauge of the metal base) the flared edges and silicone "keep cool" handles.

Anolon uses Autograph 2® like PC but ScanPan uses a non-stick coating called "NewTek." I can find nothing about NewTek non-stick coating, which makes me a little more than nervous about it. A claim of "...probably the best non-stick coating in the world" tends to make me suspicious of it. (NewTek is actually a company that makes hi-tech electronic equipemnt and the users of NewTek gear are annoyed at someone hijacking the name.)

I found some Anolon cookware (aluminum but not titanium) at Marshall Field's that has the appearance of the Executive line but seems to be of thinner gauge and does not appear as robust as the PC cookware. They rate their cookware as oven safe to 500° while the Executive line has silicon handles and is rated to 400°. The higher temperature claim is not really a valid feature, IMHO, because no one actually cooks or bakes at that temperature. (On their website, DuPont points out that their non-stick coatings work best at low to medium temperatures and they further point out that temperatures of 500° are far beyond the level of heat needed for regular frying and baking.) Anolon handles are a hollow stainless steel while Executive handles feature silicon that remains cool to the touch.

I also cannot find any reports of the gauge of the alloy used in manufacture of the pans and I can only hope that HO will buy some of these competing products and make an in-depth comparison.

I refuse to get into a price-only pissing contest at a show and prefer to have facts & benefits at hand. I just feel a little short of ammunition for facts on Executive cookware right now.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
FWIW...

There appears to be a great deal of titanium-aluminum alloy cookware out there, much of it from vendors that (I'm embarrassed to admit) I've never heard of before. Anolon and ScanPan offer titanium alloy cookware at prices considerably lower than the PC Executive line.

I believe the Analon set has only a titanium coating over the hard anodized aluminum. With the Executive, the titanium is mixed with the aluminum to make the pan stronger than any other pan out there.

At least that's what I have heard. Haven't done much research myself, so take it or leave it.

Scan Pan InfoJust to give you guys some more info:

Scanpan's non-stick is a combination of ceramin and titanium. The "NewTek" is a term they use to refer to any products made after 2001 (I believe I'm right on the date, but could be off by a year or two.) They are oven safe to 500, and I am one of those few people who DOES appreciate the difference in temperatures. Just last night I made a recipe that called for browning some of the veggies on top of the stove then finishing roasting in the oven at 425. Most of my recipes for large roasts call for the dish to start out at 425-450 and then be dropped down to 350 as well. In addition, ScanPan is metal utensil and dishwasher safe. It also have a lifetime warranty. If you want more info, check out this link.

http://www.scanpancookware.com/staticpages/sp/newtek

I'm not trying to stir up trouble...just provide information for those that wanted to be able to do comparisons. A downside to ScanPan's lids is that they are NOT hangable like the new PC ones will be.

Have a great day,
Sandy

What is "Have You Guys Seen This?"

"Have You Guys Seen This?" is a collection of new and innovative kitchen tools and gadgets that have been hand-picked by Pampered Chef to make meal prep and cooking easier and more enjoyable.

How often are new products added to "Have You Guys Seen This?"

New products are added to "Have You Guys Seen This?" on a quarterly basis. This allows us to constantly offer our customers the latest and greatest in kitchen tools and gadgets.

Can anyone purchase products from "Have You Guys Seen This?"

Yes, anyone can purchase products from "Have You Guys Seen This?". You do not need to be a consultant or have a Pampered Chef party to buy these products.

Are the products in "Have You Guys Seen This?" covered by a warranty?

Yes, all products in "Have You Guys Seen This?" are covered by a limited warranty. If you experience any issues with your product, please contact our customer service team for assistance.

Can I earn rewards or discounts by purchasing products from "Have You Guys Seen This?"

Yes, you can earn rewards and discounts when you purchase products from "Have You Guys Seen This?" by hosting a Pampered Chef party. You can also earn rewards through our Refer-A-Friend program by sharing your unique referral link with friends and family.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • lacychef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jenm42
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies