• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Avoiding Bridal Business Blunders: Tips for Sending Pampered Bride Letters

In summary, the woman was upset because the address in the paper was incorrect and she was also angry about the spelling of her name. The woman did not seem to appreciate the fact that the author took the time to find her address and write her a personal letter.
Christa
I used someone's idea on here and sent out my Pampered Bride letter to newly engaged ladies I saw listed in the paper. Addresses were in the phonebook, so no big deal to find them. I got my first call on the letter and the woman was yelling at me about where did I get her address. Plus, she said I spelled her name wrong, so that means I have no attention to detail and she would never work with me, and to never contact her again. I double checked the spellings, so maybe the paper mispelled her name and she was already upset about that?! I'm hoping this is the meanest person I will encounter doing PC. I got off the phone feeling very discouraged. I haven't even had my first show yet :(
Just needed to vent, really. Love this forum!

Question about Bridal FairI have a table in January. The info says that they do not want vendors asking for info from the brides, that a list of the brides' addresses and phone #'s will be given to all vendors as part of the deal. So, would you still do guest slips with a drawing, to get info of people attending who are not brides? I have to give 2 small door prizes, so I am doing just-with-me gift certificates and the Season's Best Cookbook. The drawing would be a 3rd giveaway item or gc.
Thanks!

Wow, someone must have been going through the typical stress of planning a wedding and she was just having a bad day. Although I can understand her point about feeling a little weirded out that someone was able to track down her address because of the engagement announcement, if this was a huge issue for her, she shouldn't have put the announcement in in the first place. Those announcements can have weird repercussions that I never even thought about before I got married. Like, a lot of papers won't put the exact date of the wedding in the paper if it's known at the time of the announcement going in because theives will see that that's the big day and stake out the house if they can get a hold of the address (which obviously can be easy to do), then when everyone's gone at the big wedding, they break in and steal all the wedding gifts. I've had a couple friends whose fiances received weird letters in the mail after an announcement was in the paper from disgrunted ex-boyfriends who were very immature and wrote insulting things about the bride. It's weird what lengths people will go to. Luckily you were trying to provide a SERVICE for her. Chances are she'll get other "solicitations" from it, then she'll see it's not that uncommon.

Don't worry...it's pretty unlikely you'll come across someone quite like that again!! :) And if so, just let it roll off. People can be weird or having very bad days.

yikes!Goodness, that does sound discouraging. I just got several addresses last night from the engagement section of the newspaper and never even dreamed that someone would be upset about addresses. I did think that they might get upset over a phone call. That scares me from even trying! Anyone else had any similar experiences?!

I think that I would be weirded out, if I got some random letter offering a bridal show for me. I guess it no different than all the other stuff they will get in the mail from florist's, wedding locations etc, but the fact that you took the time to look them up in the phone book and type them a personal letter, can be a little scary. It's thoughtful don't get me wrong, but I understand how someone could be offended by this.

Does PC ever come out with any stance on the do not call list or the do not mail list. I can't rememeber what the mail one is called sorry.

I just think about all the names I get at fair drawing....

Just looking for some thoughts

I would be totally weirded out if you called me and probably would not work with you. I value my privacy and would just be totally freaked if you got a hold of me.

I know that as consultants we want to work every angle, but this one just does not sit right with me. I would not appreciate a letter like that if I was a bride to be. I know that addresses and phone numbers are readily available in phone books, online, etc, but how far do we want to push it?

I encountered this when I did a fair and came back with incomplete slips for follow up (missing phone numbers). I went as far as to look up the numbers, but it didn't feel right. I talked to my husband about it and we both agreed that I should not call them because they did not give me their number to initiate the contact.

I have no trouble cold calling realtors for client gifts or churches for fundraisers, but contacting an individual like that is just not right IMHO.

Maybe Its Just Me ButI had also thought about doing the same thing and even had the paper out. I never really thought of them being weirded out. I figure if they were able to call a paper and announce their engagment then they most likely have done other wedding related submissions as well. Bridal magazines, flyers at bridal shows, ect... Thats just my thought though, just so you know your not the only one. I just hadn't done it yet. I may not now. Does anyone know another way to get leads on bridal shows? Our local paper is going to have a bridal week for ads, should I consider this? Its not a top 100 paper and does get alot of publicity.

a different approachWow, I also thought that if you put it in the newspaper unless you have had your head in the clouds, you are aware that you will be getting a stream of solications and advertisements on your big day.

In our local paper they don't put addresses, but they do put places of employemnt, I have been thinking of sending something to them at work, since I also do a bit of catering, I was going to include a little gift pak of info on P.Chef, and my catering along with a coupon good for product from either company. Too weird do you think, or just as intrusive as getting the information at your house?

Judy

Wow, this is an interesting thread. I never thought about how weird and intrusive it would seem to receive something at my home after placing an announcement in the paper. Every conference workshop I have attended or CD I have listened to regarding increasing your business has suggested something along this line.

When I got married (22 years ago!) my eye doctor mailed me a copy of my engagement announcement from the paper. Brides (or << ha ha>> Mother's of the Bride!) always like to have extra copies....maybe try cutting out the announcement and mailing it along with your info and say something like "Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! You can never have enough copies to share with out of town relatives so thought you'd like this." Then very simply state the services you can offer her. If you keep things short and sweet, she might appreciate the thought and not be freaked out.....hmmmm....just a thought :)

When I got married (22 years ago!) my eye doctor mailed me a copy of my engagement announcement from the paper. Brides (or << ha ha>> Mother's of the Bride!) always like to have extra copies....maybe try cutting out the announcement and mailing it along with your info and say something like "Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! You can never have enough copies to share with out of town relatives so thought you'd like this." Then very simply state the services you can offer her. If you keep things short and sweet said:
I love that idea! Thanks for sharing it. :)

OKAY! I'm totally over that first woman because I just got a bridal shower booked from my mailing! Yay!

I havesent out letters to people who have bought houses , it is in our paper the name and address , so i have sent out info on house warming party's. I never got any responces so i stopped doing it !

It makes sense that they may not want or need to do a house warming show. If they are moving in from another area, they wouldn't have anyone they know to invite. And most people are moving from a apt to a home so they already have everything they THINK they need.

I do like the idea of cutting out the announcement for the bride and sending it to her. That is great and I am going out tomorrow and finding out what day our paper prints them here.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I am excited to put all the things I am gleaming from here to work!

God Bless,
Dee

I think it's a great ideaI think that sending out a flyer to future brides is a great idea. I'm sorry but you can get anyone's name and address these days unless they are in the witness protection program.

Marie

A Local Flower Shophad in their ad in the newspaper that brides who order flowers from this shop receive a packet of gifts and coupons from local businesses. I contacted the shop owner and explained about giving the bride a "free bridal shower" and asked about including my information in her packet. She was open to it, so I got some computer paper with pink roses on it, and printed letters saying something like "Congratulations on your approaching marriage", and going on to say that my gift is a free bridal shower, explaining what that entailed, and how the guests would select items from her wish list and would not have to spend time shopping, and I would make it an enjoyable time for all, etc. I folded it with a PC bridal flyer and put in an envelope with "For the Bride" on the front. The flower shop owner said she gives out about 50 packets in a year so I brought her that many of these envelopes, and a small gift for allowing me to do this (PC coffee and vanilla). I just brought them to her a couple of days ago, so we'll see what happens. She said this was a good time because they are just getting the packets together for 2006.

Ruth Mescher
Ind. Kitchen Consultant
The Pampered Chef
Manning, IA

Ruth,

That sounds like a great opportunity! Let us know if anything ever comes of it.

Whew! That girl was having a bad day or something. I think you said in your post didn't you Christa that SHE called you! Actually you know what, you most likely don't want to work with that type of person anyway as nothing you do will make them happy.
So proud of you that you moved on.
You know what they say? "Some will, some won't, so what! Who's next?" In times like that it helps to remember such little quips.

Congrats on your Bridal shower that you did book!
I think it's a fantastic service and can't wait to get my future daughter's in law registered on it.

I'm going to do some of these ideas.
(Ya'll are adding to my 'to do list' :) :) )

Kris

I have sent many a letter out to engaged couples... in fact my letter is posted somewhere here on the site.

Our paper lists the couples name and addresses in most cases - so if they are putting their address in the paper, they cannot be too concerned with receiving "cold calls" (or letters in this case). I remember when I was engaged, I received many solicitations - most over the phone. And we did not put an announcement in the paper! Other businesses sold our names.

I would not be discouraged and enjoy the success of the response you did receive on the other bridal shower!

wow! I wouldn't have thought about someone being so rude with all the access available on the internet and all, I mean you can get someone's social security # if you look hard enough! I also hadn't thought about the idea of mailing a letter to prospective brides. That's a great way to expand your business. If people don't want it they don't even have to respond, I mean, we are offering a wonderul service and opportunity for them!

:( Sorry! I forgot to ask, could someone please post the letter that they send to brides whose pictures are in the paper. I would greatly appreciate it! :)

1. What is "Has This Happened to You?"

"Has This Happened to You?" is a Pampered Chef recipe collection that features easy and delicious meals that have been tried and tested by real families. It also includes helpful tips and tricks for busy home cooks.

2. How can I purchase "Has This Happened to You?"

You can purchase "Has This Happened to You?" through a Pampered Chef consultant, either at a party or through their personal website. You can also purchase it directly from the Pampered Chef website.

3. Are the recipes in "Has This Happened to You?" healthy?

Yes, all of the recipes in "Has This Happened to You?" are focused on using fresh, whole ingredients and are created with balanced nutrition in mind. There are also options for dietary restrictions and preferences.

4. Can I customize the recipes in "Has This Happened to You?" for my family's tastes?

Absolutely! "Has This Happened to You?" includes a section with tips on how to customize each recipe to suit your family's tastes. You can also swap out ingredients or add your own personal touch.

5. Is "Has This Happened to You?" suitable for beginner cooks?

Yes, "Has This Happened to You?" is perfect for beginner cooks! The recipes are simple and easy to follow, and the included tips and tricks make it even easier for those who are new to cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cheftracyp
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies
Views
ChefTara
Replies
Views
Luv2bake