• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Managing a Large Guest List: Tips for Keeping Costs Down for Your Party

In summary, this person has a host later in the month that they haven't heard from at all. They had not responded to the host coaching letters, emails, or the phone call they made. They sent an email inviting everyone to a Pampered Chef party on Thursday, Jan. 28. The list was an excel spread sheet, so she is thinking when she opens it up it will be 40-50 names, 60 tops. However, when she opened it up, it was 101 names! It's going to cost her $50 (plus minis and envelopes and labels) to mail these out. She is either going to find a way to ask her to pare down her list (quickly as she is leaving
I want to know,too! I'm on pins and needles! And I definitely will be interested to hear your response rate with the varying invites. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Oh wow - I have to say that, although I hate to disappoint everyone - I guess my host was right. :cry:

Out of over 100 invites, she had 7 attend the show, and one outside order. Now, she does have a few more people that she said wanted to place an order, and two of those at the show asked if they could call me today to add to their orders they placed last night...but still....

Right now, sales are at $395, and I got a booking for a Cooking Show in Feb, and a Bridal Shower for April. Soooo, not a total letdown, but nowhere near what I would have expected for that many invites sent out.

Interestingly enough, of those who attended, 3 had received the catalog invite, and the other 4 got the postcard. The outside order (online order) had a catalog invite as well - so it was an even split.

Soooo, there you have it! I'm not going to lose money on this show, but it wasn't "the best show ever!" by any stretch of the imagination!

In all fairness though - the group that came was GREAT! They were a lot of fun, asked a ton of good questions, and made the evening a party! Out of 7 guests - I sold 3 DCB, booked a party because of the DCB, and 2 of the guests already had a DCB - so only one guest is still DCB-less. :)

ChefBeckyD said:
Oh wow - I have to say that, although I hate to disappoint everyone - I guess my host was right. :cry:

Out of over 100 invites, she had 7 attend the show, and one outside order. Now, she does have a few more people that she said wanted to place an order, and two of those at the show asked if they could call me today to add to their orders they placed last night...but still....

Right now, sales are at $395, and I got a booking for a Cooking Show in Feb, and a Bridal Shower for April. Soooo, not a total letdown, but nowhere near what I would have expected for that many invites sent out.

Interestingly enough, of those who attended, 3 had received the catalog invite, and the other 4 got the postcard. The outside order (online order) had a catalog invite as well - so it was an even split.

Soooo, there you have it! I'm not going to lose money on this show, but it wasn't "the best show ever!" by any stretch of the imagination!

In all fairness though - the group that came was GREAT! They were a lot of fun, asked a ton of good questions, and made the evening a party! Out of 7 guests - I sold 3 DCB, booked a party because of the DCB, and 2 of the guests already had a DCB - so only one guest is still DCB-less. :)

Bummer but you never know what will come out of it!

I know the feeling though I had one host invite over 70 people and only 2 showed up!

It can depend on who they are inviting too. I just received an invite for a home decor type show from someone who was an outside order this summer and then ordered something from me around Christmas. Yes, that's it. No, I didn't go. I don't know her at all. She was good about following up though. I hope that her show was great, but if you invite people that you don't even know, you aren't going to get as good of a result. In this case, your bookings are really important too! Definitely have her check with people though b/c people forget to show up (or can't) and already picked would they would buy :).

Ah man, what a let down - for all of us! Thanks for the feedback on which invites worked. As Jules said, it probably had much more to do with who she invited and how well she knew them and how much they like her, which is hard to think but is sometimes true. Glad the group who was there was fun and moved your biz forward a bit. Your positive attitude helps, too. I hope your host had RSVP #s for you so you weren't expecting 50 people by the time you were shopping and prepping materials. I would have started freaking that I was going to run out of F/W catalogs by the end of Feb. if 50 people showed up.

Becca_in_MD said:
Ah man, what a let down - for all of us! Thanks for the feedback on which invites worked. As Jules said, it probably had much more to do with who she invited and how well she knew them and how much they like her, which is hard to think but is sometimes true. Glad the group who was there was fun and moved your biz forward a bit. Your positive attitude helps, too. I hope your host had RSVP #s for you so you weren't expecting 50 people by the time you were shopping and prepping materials. I would have started freaking that I was going to run out of F/W catalogs by the end of Feb. if 50 people showed up.

I had a pretty good idea of the count.

It's strange - because I did talk with her at length about her guest list...we went through it together - and I'm pretty sure that she knew the people she was inviting. She is a very nice lady, I really can't imagine people not liking her?:confused: She is good friends with another long time customer of mine, who is also a very nice lady. (she was one of the guests last night)

There was a lot of laughing and joking around between her and the guests who were there....the only thing that I can think of for people not coming is that she lives in a rather remote area, and the roads/streets around where she lives can be very confusing, and not always really safe in winter driving.(DH got me a GPS for Christmas specifically for parties in this area - it's the only place where I get lost!) It was snowing last night, but it was fine on my way there - just a bit slippery on the side roads ( a given in winter in MI) but it did snow during the party, and it was a bit dicier on my way home.

I have been trying to encourage my hosts to do more personal inviting and to use the postcards as more of a reminder. I am resisting mailing out the invitations because although I can deduct it in my taxes, it still is an expense. I let my hosts know that if they are excited about the party and invite their guests in person or by phone, that excitement will be contagious and her guests will be more interested in attending.

What I would like to do is incorporate some of what Tammy Stanley says on her free report on her website into the inviting. I want to come up with some wording to give to my hosts so that they can intrigue their guests. Something like "do you want to learn how to put a healthy, restaurant quality meal on the table in less than 30 minutes without turning on the oven or the stove?"

Thanks Deb for the info! Hey, almost $400 and I bet you break that before you close, and bookings is very good! We all know we will never know what is really going on behind the scenes so we simply have to take it as it comes. We can work hard and get nothing but then again we can work hard get a payoff. Sometimes we can do nothing and get a great return. I did a catalog party for someone in Texas and she hit $901 in sales - I did nothing. So... You just never know. I had a party on the 6th of January. My host wanted to handle the invites herself and did it basically by e-mail. I know she sent out about 31 e-mails. She did hand out about 10 of the invited I sent her. So 41. Now, the night before the party she had 4 YESES. That was it. She was a little upset and actually wanted to cancel her party! I told her that the odds of 100% RSVPs was very slim. We had 9 people show up and three outside orders and $523 in sales and 4 bookings of which one has already been held on the 2nd of this month! One is March 6th and she is very excited about the new products! So, I always look at it as a crap shoot. My new motto though is this, "If it qualifies as a party, I did good." That is all we can ask for! I have to say it is interesting to hear the stats about invite type. You would think that the extra money on the minis would have made a bigger difference. Oh well! Fate is a funny thing!

ChefBeckyD said:
This weeks e-news from Pampered Chef said that the catalogs were increasing in pages (and cost!).

I didn't like this at all. They did increase in pages, but if you compare the paper material in the new ones to the older ones, they're using a lower quality paper. For the 8 or so extra pages and using lower quality paper I think it's ridiculous that we'll pay more.

Not happy about this :(

I really thought the catalogs were nicer quality this year. They feel like a novel! :) So nice.

ChefBeckyD said:

It kinda sucks that not many people showed up but look how many contact numbers and address you have for your prospecting activities! It might not be a total wash.

mandy412 said:
It kinda sucks that not many people showed up but look how many contact numbers and address you have for your prospecting activities! It might not be a total wash.

All I have are addresses - no phone #'s. I probably would never use this list for bookings, etc. I did get several good contacts from the show and outside orders. 2 Bookings and several people who purchased the DCB - so plenty of follow up for me.

We closed the show at $550 - so I'm happy with the turnout.

I agree Becky....good show! You have leads, bookings and above avg sales, right? Congrats and Kudos!

So, with the results you got...will you continue to mail out the mini's? Do you personally think it's worth the cost?

I was reading thought this because I have a host for next Friday who has outdone herself.... she sent out a FB message to 94 people... gave me a gust list of 50 to be mailed... and called me yesterday and asked for 30 more of her invitations so she could hand them out to the women at her church.... assuming that there will be some duplicates from FB and on her mailed guest list I'm going to say that is 150 people.... now I'm sure that not all of them will come, or even place orders.... and I'm trying not to get my hopes up because everytime I do I get let down miserably... I had a show on the 2nd where there were 35 people and only had 680 in orders... the entire show fit in two boxes.

I just had a party where I mailed 114 invites for the hostess. She had 18 to show up and 4 outside orders for $1100 in sales.. wonder what the other 80 people thought? been nice if they had ordered or called to say they were not coming..

<h2>1. How can I manage a large guest list and keep costs down for my Pampered Chef party?</h2><p>Managing a large guest list can be challenging, but there are some tips that can help you keep costs down for your Pampered Chef party. Here are some things to consider:</p><ul> <li>Consider sending electronic invitations instead of traditional paper invitations to save on printing and mailing costs.</li> <li>Encourage your guests to RSVP in advance so you have a better idea of how many people will attend.</li> <li>Offer a variety of price points for products so guests with different budgets can still participate in the party.</li> <li>Consider hosting the party at a location that is free or low-cost, such as your home or a community center.</li> <li>Offer a hostess discount or free products based on the number of guests who attend and make purchases.</li></ul><h2>2. How do I handle a host who has not responded to any of my communications?</h2><p>If you have a host who has not responded to your emails or phone calls, it's important to reach out to them in a timely manner. Here are some steps you can take:</p><ul> <li>Send a final reminder email or voicemail a few days before the party to confirm details and remind them to invite their guests.</li> <li>Consider reaching out to the host's friends or family members to remind them about the party and encourage them to attend.</li> <li>Offer to help the host with any last-minute preparations or provide additional support to ensure a successful party.</li> <li>If the host is still unresponsive, consider reaching out to other potential hosts in the area to see if they would be interested in hosting a party.</li></ul><h2>3. How can I handle a host who has a very large guest list?</h2><p>Dealing with a host who has a large guest list can be overwhelming, especially if it's unexpected. Here are some suggestions for handling this situation:</p><ul> <li>Politely but firmly explain to the host that a large guest list can impact the success of the party and may also increase costs for you as the consultant.</li> <li>Suggest ways to help the host narrow down the guest list, such as focusing on close friends and family members or specific interest groups.</li> <li>Offer to send electronic invitations or postcards instead of traditional paper invitations to save on costs.</li> <li>Consider offering a discount or free product to the host if they are able to reduce the guest list to a more manageable size.</li></ul><h2>4. What should I do if a host will be out of town before the party?</h2><p>If your host will be out of town before the party, it's important to communicate with them and make sure all necessary details are taken care of. Here are some steps you can take:</p><ul> <li>Confirm the date, time, and location of the party with the host before they leave town.</li> <li>Ask the host to provide you with a list of contact information for their guests, such as email addresses or phone numbers.</li> <li>Work with the host to make sure invitations are sent out before they leave town, whether it's through traditional mail or electronic means.</li> <li>Consider asking a friend or family member of the host to help with reminders and follow-ups while the host is away.</li></ul><h2>5. Should I mail paper invitations or use electronic invitations for a large guest list?</h2><p>Deciding whether to use paper invitations or electronic invitations for a large guest list can depend on a few factors, such as your budget and the preferences of the host and guests. Here are some things to consider:</p><ul> <li>Electronic invitations are generally more cost-effective and can be sent out quickly, but some guests may prefer traditional paper invitations.</li> <li>Paper invitations can be more expensive and take longer to prepare and mail, but they may make the party feel more special and personal.</li> <li>You can also consider a combination of both paper and electronic invitations to cater to different preferences and keep costs down.</li> <li>Ultimately, the decision should be made in collaboration with the host and based on what will work best for the party and its guests.</li></ul>

1. How can I manage a large guest list and keep costs down for my Pampered Chef party?

Managing a large guest list can be challenging, but there are some tips that can help you keep costs down for your Pampered Chef party. Here are some things to consider:

• Consider sending electronic invitations instead of traditional paper invitations to save on printing and mailing costs.
  • Encourage your guests to RSVP in advance so you have a better idea of how many people will attend.
  • Offer a variety of price points for products so guests with different budgets can still participate in the party.
  • Consider hosting the party at a location that is free or low-cost, such as your home or a community center.
  • Offer a hostess discount or free products based on the number of guests who attend and make purchases.

2. How do I handle a host who has not responded to any of my communications?

If you have a host who has not responded to your emails or phone calls, it's important to reach out to them in a timely manner. Here are some steps you can take:

• Send a final reminder email or voicemail a few days before the party to confirm details and remind them to invite their guests.
  • Consider reaching out to the host's friends or family members to remind them about the party and encourage them to attend.
  • Offer to help the host with any last-minute preparations or provide additional support to ensure a successful party.
  • If the host is still unresponsive, consider reaching out to other potential hosts in the area to see if they would be interested in hosting a party.

3. How can I handle a host who has a very large guest list?

Dealing with a host who has a large guest list can be overwhelming, especially if it's unexpected. Here are some suggestions for handling this situation:

• Politely but firmly explain to the host that a large guest list can impact the success of the party and may also increase costs for you as the consultant.
  • Suggest ways to help the host narrow down the guest list, such as focusing on close friends and family members or specific interest groups.
  • Offer to send electronic invitations or postcards instead of traditional paper invitations to save on costs.
  • Consider offering a discount or free product to the host if they are able to reduce the guest list to a more manageable size.

4. What should I do if a host will be out of town before the party?

If your host will be out of town before the party, it's important to communicate with them and make sure all necessary details are taken care of. Here are some steps you can take:

• Confirm the date, time, and location of the party with the host before they leave town.
  • Ask the host to provide you with a list of contact information for their guests, such as email addresses or phone numbers.
  • Work with the host to make sure invitations are sent out before they leave town, whether it's through traditional mail or electronic means.
  • Consider asking a friend or family member of the host to help with reminders and follow-ups while the host is away.

5. Should I mail paper invitations or use electronic invitations for a large guest list?

Deciding whether to use paper invitations or electronic invitations for a large guest list can depend on a few factors, such as your budget and the preferences of the host and guests. Here are some things to consider:

• Electronic invitations are generally more cost-effective and can be sent out quickly, but some guests may prefer traditional paper invitations.
  • Paper invitations can be more expensive and take longer to prepare and mail, but they may make the party feel more special and personal.
  • You can also consider a combination of both paper and electronic invitations to cater to different preferences and keep costs down.
  • Ultimately, the decision should be made in collaboration with the host and based on what will work best for the party and its guests.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
beepampered
  • wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies