• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to effectively clean the Mix 'n' Chop and other difficult kitchen tools?

In summary, cleaning the food chopper, apple wedger, citrus press, pineapple wedger, mini-muffin pan, garlic press, fluted stone, egg slicer plus, splatter screen, grill basket, and rotary grater can be difficult. Some tips for cleaning these products include rinsing them immediately after use, using a toothbrush or baby bottle brush, and soaking them before washing. The silicone cupcake pan and EAD may also be challenging to clean.
WLMcCoy
I am soaking my food chopper & apple wedger as I type this. They are the 2 worst products to clean, in my opinion. Anyone have tips on how to clean them?

What is your opinion on the hardest products to clean?

What I've found with the food chopper is that the key is to rinse it right after using it - before any food is dried and stuck to it. If I rinse it then put it in the dishwasher I haven't had trouble keeping it clean.

I've found the citrus press gets really yucky. I find if I don't give it a good rub before I put it in the dishwasher, it doesn't come clean. It think it is from the wax they put on lemons and limes.

Pineapple wedger, hands down! The tiny crevices where the metal is welded together gets totally filled with pineapple fibers. I take a toothpick to it every few times I use it and it still doesn't get it all totally out. It's really a pain.

BlessedWifeMommy said:
I've found the citrus press gets really yucky. I find if I don't give it a good rub before I put it in the dishwasher, it doesn't come clean. It think it is from the wax they put on lemons and limes.

Holy cow! That happened to me too. There is a film on the inside of the Citrus Press that won't come off with normal washing. Guess I will have to get out the soft scrub.

A rinse right after using the Chopper and both wedgers is a must! Then I just let them soak while I wash all our silverware (no dishwasher). They seem to do better then.

I HATE washing the Mini-Muffin Pan!!! It's not hard, per say, just r e a l l y time consuming. I use it, at least, once a week. Sigh. Any hints?

Garlic press. But again, it's only bad if you don't rinse it off immediately after using.

Fluted Stone for me - all those crevises are a pain. The Easy Clean Kitchen Brush is great, but it's still a pain.

After thinking about it, the hardest product for me to clean is the Egg Slicer Plus after slicing mushrooms. As you stated in previous posts, it would be best to immediately soak or rinse off the product to keep the food from drying onto the surface. I have dried pieces of mushroom in between the plastic slots. Try getting that out!

Pineapple wedger so far for me. The rest, I've found that if I don't rinse them right away (like the food chopper or garlic press), it is harder to clean. Even though I no longer have babies in the house, I do have two sizes of bottle-brushes on hand though to get in the crevices....just in case, and that helps.

I agree on the Fluted Stone. I also hate cleaning the muffin pan stone if I don't use liners.

Egg Slicer Plus and Pineapple Wedger!

I use a toothbrush with a narrow head to clean between the blades of my food chopper. Other than rinsing right away, I can't think of anything else.

The splatter screen and the grill basket. Even with the stainless cleaner, it is hard to get the residue off over time.

The rotary grater! Hate that --

WLMcCoy said:
I am soaking my food chopper & apple wedger as I type this. They are the 2 worst products to clean, in my opinion. Anyone have tips on how to clean them?

What is your opinion on the hardest products to clean?

I have a Citrus Peeler on my drain board & use it constantly!! Any nook or crannie you're trying to clean. Also it won't hurt any of our non-stick....HTH :D

The salad chopper!

I find that when chopping chicken, it gets stuck between the blades and the plastic. Never comes clean from from the dishwasher - I need to go at with a tooth pick to remove all the chicken.

Andrea

The silicone cupcake pan. All the crevices for the flowers are hard to get into, even if you turn them inside out.

gaddischef said:
The rotary grater! Hate that --

Agree. In fact, I don't demo it at all because I think the grate size is too small.

For the rotary grater and the EAD, I have bought a baby bottle brush from the infant section of the store. Works perfectly, those bristles tend to get into all of the nooks and crannies!! For the apple and pineapple wedger as well as the food chopper, I use a toothbrush (never used in a mouth of course).

Egg Slicer Plus is my problem child. After cutting bananas, I have the worst time getting the white base clean. Just when I think it is clean I find some dark banana guts, Yuck!! I can't find anything to get between the slots. Any ideas?

For the stoneware, any stoneware, soaking it for a while works well for me. Stuff just slips right off. And, it's becoming clear to me that simply rinsing products right away after use will help make most of them easier to clean.

Hmmm...mine is a three way tie:

the "fins" on the Family Size Quick Stir Pitcher (I was just logging on to ask you guys how you keep yours clean...we make iced tea in it about every other day and the fins get stained and slimy. Only thing that partially cleans it is a kichen-use-only toothbrush, which is a PITA when there are so many fins!)

The grill pan (Executive is easier to clean than the professional, but it's still a pain to keep excess grease and gunk buildup from around the raised grill bars

The grill basket (it looks horrible no matter what, and I swear there is stuff just building up deeper and deeper on it with each use!! LOL)

I agree with others: EAD, apple wedger, graters, garlic press, chopper all MUST be rinsed immediately after use for easy clean up. For the MMP, even though it is non-stick, I ALWAYS use Baker's Joy very heavily in each cup...otherwise it's a PITA to clean too. (I also use the little mini muffin paper cup liners when making mini muffins....just sooooooooo much easier!)

KellyTheChef said:
Hmmm...mine is a three way tie:

the "fins" on the Family Size Quick Stir Pitcher (I was just logging on to ask you guys how you keep yours clean...we make iced tea in it about every other day and the fins get stained and slimy. Only thing that partially cleans it is a kichen-use-only toothbrush, which is a PITA when there are so many fins!)

The grill pan (Executive is easier to clean than the professional, but it's still a pain to keep excess grease and gunk buildup from around the raised grill bars

The grill basket (it looks horrible no matter what, and I swear there is stuff just building up deeper and deeper on it with each use!! LOL)

I agree with others: EAD, apple wedger, graters, garlic press, chopper all MUST be rinsed immediately after use for easy clean up. For the MMP, even though it is non-stick, I ALWAYS use Baker's Joy very heavily in each cup...otherwise it's a PITA to clean too. (I also use the little mini muffin paper cup liners when making mini muffins....just sooooooooo much easier!)

Kelly! I could have been the author of your post! I would say EXACTLY the same thing!

I make tea in my QSP, and it's hard to keep clean!
I totally agree about the Grill Pan - I only use it for "dry" things now.
I finally used some oven cleaner on my Grill Basket to get it clean again, so I could take it to a show.
I do the EXACT same thing with the MMP too! Baker's Joy, or muffin liners!

ChefBeckyD said:
Kelly! I could have been the author of your post! I would say EXACTLY the same thing!
I make tea in my QSP, and it's hard to keep clean!
I totally agree about the Grill Pan - I only use it for "dry" things now.
I finally used some oven cleaner on my Grill Basket to get it clean again, so I could take it to a show.
I do the EXACT same thing with the MMP too! Baker's Joy, or muffin liners!

That's why we are friends!! lol

The Use & Care on the Grill Basket specifically says it will darken with use.I have no problems cleaning my grill pan. That's weird.

DebbieJ said:
The Use & Care on the Grill Basket specifically says it will darken with use.

I have no problems cleaning my grill pan. That's weird.

I've actually had two people return the grill pan, because it was so hard to keep clean. It gets "gunky" in between the ridges, and it's really hard to clean out.

The Basket - I know it will get dark, but again, it's the gunk that's hard to get off.

ChefBeckyD said:
At least, part of the reason! ;)

Teehee! I almost went back and amended my post after I wrote it...I was thinking the same thing...my post sounded kinda shallow, like I wouldn't still like you some day if we disagreed on something!! :angel::)

Oxo makes a round hand held brush that works great for the Silicone Floral Cupcake Pan. Wouldn't be without it.

I hate cleaning the egg slicer! I agree w/ the dried mushroom pieces...I usually take my fingernail and try to pry open the slots and just scrape it w/ my nail to get that stuff off! Gross!

I will not use my silicone cupcake pan because I hate cleaning it.

Chopper, I agree about rinsing it first. But sometimes when I put mine in the dishwasher after rinsing it, some of the food residue from my other dishes gets in the wing part that you open to clean and it stays dirty that way! Sometimes I just rinse and drain in the sink, less hassle.

BlessedWifeMommy said:

I will actually wash some of my fruits with Dawn, it helps cut some of the stuff they put on them!

Oh...I use my kitchen toothbrush for the cracks of the egg slicer! Especially mushrooms REALLY try to stick in between the slots of the plastic part!

chefsteph07 said:
Chopper, I agree about rinsing it first. But sometimes when I put mine in the dishwasher after rinsing it, some of the food residue from my other dishes gets in the wing part that you open to clean and it stays dirty that way! Sometimes I just rinse and drain in the sink, less hassle.
If you take the wings off the chopper, or open them completely, when you put it in the DW, then it won't get as dirty during the wash cycle.

Mix 'n' chop. Ground beef. Dishwasher. Nuff said.

ChefBeckyD said:
I've actually had two people return the grill pan, because it was so hard to keep clean. It gets "gunky" in between the ridges, and it's really hard to clean out.

The Basket - I know it will get dark, but again, it's the gunk that's hard to get off.

I totally agree! I'm about to call HO & ask for an exchange, I do not bring it to shows anymore...:(. I think what helped me kill it was making the 20 minute spare ribs. I didn't have this much trouble with my Professional & I sold a ton of them by cooling chicken fingers in the oven. I've been eyeing the outlet, but its only 20% off. :cry:

ChefBeckyD said:

Easy Clean Kitchen Brush?

Seriously, I have RINSED my grill pan clean using the sprayer on my sink after cooking chicken breasts. I don't know why so many people are having problems. It's very perplexing.

I use my Egg Slicer Plus frequently, but each time I slice bananas, I think, WHY??? There's gotta be a better way to get, excuse me, banana snot off those wires! LOL.

chefann said:
If you take the wings off the chopper, or open them completely, when you put it in the DW, then it won't get as dirty during the wash cycle.

Take wings off? I had no idea you could do this

DebbieJ said:
Easy Clean Kitchen Brush?

Seriously, I have RINSED my grill pan clean using the sprayer on my sink after cooking chicken breasts. I don't know why so many people are having problems. It's very perplexing.

I agree! I use my grill pan A LOT for EVERYTHING & have never had a problem... Maybe some are just better than others..

Actually to clean all those products, I use a baby bottle brush. The one with sponge pieces on one end and a bottle brush with bristles is on the other end (although it retracts inside). I just keep it on my sink and use it for the food chopper especially and the egg slicer!

chefann said:

OMG....the wings come off? Please share how to do this. That would make things A LOT easier when it comes to cleaning that monster. Even if I rinse it as soon as I use it, there always seems to be an outlaw piece of onion hiding out up in there that I can't get to.

Yes, the wings on the chopper come completely off. Open them up, then twist slightly. There's a little nubby post that sticks out from the main chopper, and a little dimple on the wing - 2 per wing.

mrshamel3808 said:
Pineapple wedger, hands down! The tiny crevices where the metal is welded together gets totally filled with pineapple fibers. I take a toothpick to it every few times I use it and it still doesn't get it all totally out. It's really a pain.

I'm with ya on this one. It is a pain to clean! I just don't want to cut myself cleaning it cause you really have to get "in there" to get the fibers out of those crevices.

I've found out the problem with the waxy substance on the Citrus Press. :yuck: I'll have to try scrubbing the fruit with the Fruit Wash that's supposed to get that off before using the press...we'll see.

I'm new here (first post) but the grill pan was one of my first purchases and it made me want to sell PC. My trick is - as soon as I turn off the stove and take the food out, I pour dish soap directly into the pan and turn it so it kinda gets all over the bottom. It will bubble up since its still hot and then add a little water after the soap has heated. I usually wash it after we eat and everything just wipes right off - even bbq sauce!

MLinAZ said:
What I've found with the food chopper is that the key is to rinse it right after using it - before any food is dried and stuck to it. If I rinse it then put it in the dishwasher I haven't had trouble keeping it clean.

Ditto- this is exactly what I do, and have had no problems since I started cleaning it this way! :chef:

Egg Slicer Plus - I still have it at my sink and I think I will use it at home and get a new one for shows because the mushrooms have dried on and won't come off. Ugh! :yuck:

I also didn't know the wings come off the food chopper! That'll make it WAY easier to fit it into the top rack of my dishwasher! I have the hardest time making it so that the wings stay open and don't close during washing. Also, I just got the PC kitchen brush and it worked REALLY well on the pineapple wedger! I also now make a point of rinsing as much as I can as soon as possible from it (way easier to pull fibers out when they're wet than when they're dry) and then use the kitchen brush and then the dishwasher. I put everything I can in the dishwasher for the sanitizing factor since people handle stuff and I'm preparing food for other people otherwise I'd use the kitchen brush and call it clean.

I thoroughly enjoy using a toothpick to try and pick out the tee tiny pieces of chicken that get stuck in the Salad Chopper :D. I always rinse the Food Chopper and then wash it in the dishwasher. If it comes out with a little crusty stuff still on it, I ususally take a tooth brush and use it to get down in those hard to reach areas and then run it back through the dishwasher.
Someone had the suggestion on the site to use the cleaning brush to wash the stones and I must say that was an excellent suggestion! It gets everything clean and you don't scald your hands while trying to wash it with the hottest water possible.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
jenniferknapp
  • heat123
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
heat123
Replies
Views
chefann