• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hardest Product to Clean?

WLMcCoy

Advanced Member
May 21, 2008
I am soaking my food chopper & apple wedger as I type this. They are the 2 worst products to clean, in my opinion. Anyone have tips on how to clean them?

What is your opinion on the hardest products to clean?

MLinAZ

Gold Member
May 7, 2009
What I've found with the food chopper is that the key is to rinse it right after using it - before any food is dried and stuck to it. If I rinse it then put it in the dishwasher I haven't had trouble keeping it clean.

BlessedWifeMommy

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2008
I've found the citrus press gets really yucky. I find if I don't give it a good rub before I put it in the dishwasher, it doesn't come clean. It think it is from the wax they put on lemons and limes.

mrshamel3808

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2009
Pineapple wedger, hands down! The tiny crevices where the metal is welded together gets totally filled with pineapple fibers. I take a toothpick to it every few times I use it and it still doesn't get it all totally out. It's really a pain.

DessertDivaFL

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2008
I've found the citrus press gets really yucky. I find if I don't give it a good rub before I put it in the dishwasher, it doesn't come clean. It think it is from the wax they put on lemons and limes.

Holy cow! That happened to me too. There is a film on the inside of the Citrus Press that won't come off with normal washing. Guess I will have to get out the soft scrub.

Crystal Patton

Advanced Member
Sep 29, 2008
A rinse right after using the Chopper and both wedgers is a must! Then I just let them soak while I wash all our silverware (no dishwasher). They seem to do better then.

I HATE washing the Mini-Muffin Pan!!! It's not hard, per say, just r e a l l y time consuming. I use it, at least, once a week. Sigh. Any hints?

chefann

Legend Member
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2005
Garlic press. But again, it's only bad if you don't rinse it off immediately after using.

pamperedlinda

Legend Member
Gold Member
Mar 17, 2006
Fluted Stone for me - all those crevises are a pain. The Easy Clean Kitchen Brush is great, but it's still a pain.

DessertDivaFL

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2008
After thinking about it, the hardest product for me to clean is the Egg Slicer Plus after slicing mushrooms. As you stated in previous posts, it would be best to immediately soak or rinse off the product to keep the food from drying onto the surface. I have dried pieces of mushroom in between the plastic slots. Try getting that out!

esavvymom

Legend Member
Staff member
Sep 8, 2008
Pineapple wedger so far for me. The rest, I've found that if I don't rinse them right away (like the food chopper or garlic press), it is harder to clean. Even though I no longer have babies in the house, I do have two sizes of bottle-brushes on hand though to get in the crevices....just in case, and that helps.

shelly.nurse

May 28, 2009
I use a toothbrush with a narrow head to clean between the blades of my food chopper. Other than rinsing right away, I can't think of anything else.

Patty Davis

May 25, 2009
The splatter screen and the grill basket. Even with the stainless cleaner, it is hard to get the residue off over time.

Ginger428

Legacy Member
Gold Member
Mar 6, 2006
I am soaking my food chopper & apple wedger as I type this. They are the 2 worst products to clean, in my opinion. Anyone have tips on how to clean them?

What is your opinion on the hardest products to clean?

I have a Citrus Peeler on my drain board & use it constantly!! Any nook or crannie you're trying to clean. Also it won't hurt any of our non-stick....HTH :D

avelissar

Aug 19, 2008
The salad chopper!

I find that when chopping chicken, it gets stuck between the blades and the plastic. Never comes clean from from the dishwasher - I need to go at with a tooth pick to remove all the chicken.

Andrea

ShellBeach

Veteran Member
Sep 5, 2008
The silicone cupcake pan. All the crevices for the flowers are hard to get into, even if you turn them inside out.

shelly.nurse

May 28, 2009
For the rotary grater and the EAD, I have bought a baby bottle brush from the infant section of the store. Works perfectly, those bristles tend to get into all of the nooks and crannies!! For the apple and pineapple wedger as well as the food chopper, I use a toothbrush (never used in a mouth of course).

jbondr

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
Egg Slicer Plus is my problem child. After cutting bananas, I have the worst time getting the white base clean. Just when I think it is clean I find some dark banana guts, Yuck!! I can't find anything to get between the slots. Any ideas?

raebates

Legend Member
Staff member
Dec 6, 2005
For the stoneware, any stoneware, soaking it for a while works well for me. Stuff just slips right off.

And, it's becoming clear to me that simply rinsing products right away after use will help make most of them easier to clean.

KellyTheChef

Legend Member
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2006
Hmmm...mine is a three way tie:

the "fins" on the Family Size Quick Stir Pitcher (I was just logging on to ask you guys how you keep yours clean...we make iced tea in it about every other day and the fins get stained and slimy. Only thing that partially cleans it is a kichen-use-only toothbrush, which is a PITA when there are so many fins!)

The grill pan (Executive is easier to clean than the professional, but it's still a pain to keep excess grease and gunk buildup from around the raised grill bars

The grill basket (it looks horrible no matter what, and I swear there is stuff just building up deeper and deeper on it with each use!! LOL)

I agree with others: EAD, apple wedger, graters, garlic press, chopper all MUST be rinsed immediately after use for easy clean up. For the MMP, even though it is non-stick, I ALWAYS use Baker's Joy very heavily in each cup...otherwise it's a PITA to clean too. (I also use the little mini muffin paper cup liners when making mini muffins....just sooooooooo much easier!)

ChefBeckyD

Legend Member
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2005
Hmmm...mine is a three way tie:

the "fins" on the Family Size Quick Stir Pitcher (I was just logging on to ask you guys how you keep yours clean...we make iced tea in it about every other day and the fins get stained and slimy. Only thing that partially cleans it is a kichen-use-only toothbrush, which is a PITA when there are so many fins!)

The grill pan (Executive is easier to clean than the professional, but it's still a pain to keep excess grease and gunk buildup from around the raised grill bars

The grill basket (it looks horrible no matter what, and I swear there is stuff just building up deeper and deeper on it with each use!! LOL)

I agree with others: EAD, apple wedger, graters, garlic press, chopper all MUST be rinsed immediately after use for easy clean up. For the MMP, even though it is non-stick, I ALWAYS use Baker's Joy very heavily in each cup...otherwise it's a PITA to clean too. (I also use the little mini muffin paper cup liners when making mini muffins....just sooooooooo much easier!)

Kelly! I could have been the author of your post! I would say EXACTLY the same thing!

I make tea in my QSP, and it's hard to keep clean!
I totally agree about the Grill Pan - I only use it for "dry" things now.
I finally used some oven cleaner on my Grill Basket to get it clean again, so I could take it to a show.
I do the EXACT same thing with the MMP too! Baker's Joy, or muffin liners!

KellyTheChef

Legend Member
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2006
Kelly! I could have been the author of your post! I would say EXACTLY the same thing!
I make tea in my QSP, and it's hard to keep clean!
I totally agree about the Grill Pan - I only use it for "dry" things now.
I finally used some oven cleaner on my Grill Basket to get it clean again, so I could take it to a show.
I do the EXACT same thing with the MMP too! Baker's Joy, or muffin liners!

That's why we are friends!! lol

DebbieJ

Legend Member
Oct 6, 2005
The Use & Care on the Grill Basket specifically says it will darken with use.

I have no problems cleaning my grill pan. That's weird.

ChefBeckyD

Legend Member
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2005
The Use & Care on the Grill Basket specifically says it will darken with use.

I have no problems cleaning my grill pan. That's weird.

I've actually had two people return the grill pan, because it was so hard to keep clean. It gets "gunky" in between the ridges, and it's really hard to clean out.

The Basket - I know it will get dark, but again, it's the gunk that's hard to get off.

KellyTheChef

Legend Member
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2006
At least, part of the reason! ;)

Teehee! I almost went back and amended my post after I wrote it...I was thinking the same thing...my post sounded kinda shallow, like I wouldn't still like you some day if we disagreed on something!! :angel::)

chefsteph07

Legacy Member
Jul 18, 2007
I hate cleaning the egg slicer! I agree w/ the dried mushroom pieces...I usually take my fingernail and try to pry open the slots and just scrape it w/ my nail to get that stuff off! Gross!

I will not use my silicone cupcake pan because I hate cleaning it.

Chopper, I agree about rinsing it first. But sometimes when I put mine in the dishwasher after rinsing it, some of the food residue from my other dishes gets in the wing part that you open to clean and it stays dirty that way! Sometimes I just rinse and drain in the sink, less hassle.

teresah551393

Jan 11, 2009

I will actually wash some of my fruits with Dawn, it helps cut some of the stuff they put on them!

KellyTheChef

Legend Member
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2006
Oh...I use my kitchen toothbrush for the cracks of the egg slicer! Especially mushrooms REALLY try to stick in between the slots of the plastic part!

chefann

Legend Member
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2005
Chopper, I agree about rinsing it first. But sometimes when I put mine in the dishwasher after rinsing it, some of the food residue from my other dishes gets in the wing part that you open to clean and it stays dirty that way! Sometimes I just rinse and drain in the sink, less hassle.
If you take the wings off the chopper, or open them completely, when you put it in the DW, then it won't get as dirty during the wash cycle.

Ginger428

Legacy Member
Gold Member
Mar 6, 2006
I've actually had two people return the grill pan, because it was so hard to keep clean. It gets "gunky" in between the ridges, and it's really hard to clean out.

The Basket - I know it will get dark, but again, it's the gunk that's hard to get off.

I totally agree! I'm about to call HO & ask for an exchange, I do not bring it to shows anymore...:(. I think what helped me kill it was making the 20 minute spare ribs. I didn't have this much trouble with my Professional & I sold a ton of them by cooling chicken fingers in the oven. I've been eyeing the outlet, but its only 20% off. :cry:

DebbieJ

Legend Member
Oct 6, 2005

Easy Clean Kitchen Brush?

Seriously, I have RINSED my grill pan clean using the sprayer on my sink after cooking chicken breasts. I don't know why so many people are having problems. It's very perplexing.

Ann F

Advanced Member
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2004
I use my Egg Slicer Plus frequently, but each time I slice bananas, I think, WHY??? There's gotta be a better way to get, excuse me, banana snot off those wires! LOL.

WLMcCoy

Advanced Member
May 21, 2008
Easy Clean Kitchen Brush?

Seriously, I have RINSED my grill pan clean using the sprayer on my sink after cooking chicken breasts. I don't know why so many people are having problems. It's very perplexing.

I agree! I use my grill pan A LOT for EVERYTHING & have never had a problem... Maybe some are just better than others..