• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Celebrate Paçzki Day: Polish Pastries Delight!

In summary, the Polish pastry, Paczki, is a popular food on Fat Tuesday. There are usually long lines to get them in Milwaukee, Detroit, Hamtramck, and Liberal, and they are usually filled with different flavors. Ponczki day is also Pancake Day in the UK.
I don't want to go to D & W. I have to go to Meijer. You should see my stack of 90+ coupons. I bought Mangos and eggs at D&W today. Not planning to go back there for paczki's. I don't want to like them very much!

chefann said:
They're essentially a really rich doughnut. Many grocery stores carry them at this time of year, in the bakery department.

I have never heard of them...my sheltered life is catching up to me!! We have Price Chopper & Hannaford's. Super Walmart might have them. If all they have is prune then for now, they will remain unknown to me!:yuck:

I don't have a lot of faith that you'll find the genuine article at Wally World. I'll be there today, so I'll look - and we'll compare notes later.

My brother's MIL (who has since passed, bless her sweet, sweet heart) escaped from Poland when she was a teen. I KNOW that my SIL must know what they are and where to find them. They live in Buffalo, NY which has a high Polish population. I used to date a man who was Polish and I learned how to make home made perogies, but still never heard of these.

We have what's called Fastnacht's Day here. It's a Lancaster County thing I guess, or a German thing.

I went to our local grocery store at 5 am to get mine today. The store opened an hour early just for the paczkis. They're really good. I'm eating a raspberry one right now. Mmmmm!

Whhhooooops! Just added an inch to my waistline!

dianevill said:
I went to our local grocery store at 5 am to get mine today. The store opened an hour early just for the paczkis. They're really good. I'm eating a raspberry one right now. Mmmmm!

Whhhooooops! Just added an inch to my waistline!

I had to laugh imagining you standing out in the cold in front of the store, waiting for them to unlock the doors so you could buy your paczki! :D I take full credit for introducing them to you!

When I went this morning to buy ours, the girl who check me out said that they started making them at midnight to have enough for today!

We got an apple, a blueberry, and a cherry. That way we can sample three different kinds. :)

I found my Paçzki at Wally World this morning, which was a real surprise. Of course, if I hadn't seen the bakery lady pulling them out of the box labeled "Paçzki" I wouldn't have known - she mixed 'em right in with all the regular donuts.Fastnacht, Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday...there are lots of names for the day before Ash Wednesday. I have no idea if Poles call it Paçzki Day or not - I just know that all my old South Side friends greet one another with "Happy Paçzki Day!" each year.Historical note: At one time, Milwaukee was divided into three distinct areas - the Germans on the north side, the Italians on the lower east side and the Poles on the south side. It wasn't unusual to hear German, Polish or Italian spoken in homes around the neighborhoods. My old friend, Walter (his real name was Wolfgang) lived across the street from us - he spoke clear English although his family spoke only German. His mother, Lottie, spoke a delightful broken English. Walter took German in high school, figuring that he'd ace it since it was his first language. Wrong. His family spoke low German while the school taught high German. Oops. When I was a kid, the joke here was that the 6th Viaduct was the longest bridge in the world because it stretched from Germany to Poland. Of course, that's all changed now.Out here in my neighborhood, my church's services were "Auf Duetsch" until 1936, when it started to be uncomfortable to be a German.

OK. Well, we tried raisin, raspberry and prune. Next year - NO PRUNE UGH! The others were really good but they are really heavy but OMG how good are they!
I also had to laugh as Pat said he had a Bavarian Creme Paczki at work. When I was at the bakery, they told me, as did some of the other customers, that Bavarian Creme is NOT a traditional filling. So who knows. Plus he said the one he had was definitely baked and not fried, well, that did it. FAKE! Just because it is filled does not make it a Paczki. It is the dough more than anything else. It has to be completely loaded with tons of butter and eggs then fried. Then it is filled if it is not raisin. For the raisin ones, they mix the raisins into the dough before frying it. Sort of like raisin bread. so good!

No wonder everyone swears off all that stuff for Lent! After a day of overloading on Paçzkis, it would take 6 weeks to recover!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
No wonder everyone swears off all that stuff for Lent! After a day of overloading on Paçzkis, it would take 6 weeks to recover!

The prune one would help exit it out the back door quicker, but the addition to them would still linger.

Ann and KG that ain't no joke! They are kinda like mini bowling balls! Pat took a bite out of one of 4 prune ones I bought on Tuesday morning. I ate the rest of it and the other three on and off all day Tuesday, I did not want to waste them even though they were kinda nasty. I spent most of yesterday running! Luckily I could stay home!

Yup - the thread dedicated to the delightfully fattening treat has been
bump-1.gif
-ed again!

(It's become a Shrove Tuesday tradition around here.)

And yes, it has other names and traditions in other parts of the country.The Christian Science Monitor has a report today about fastnacht day, usually associated with the Pennsylvania Dutch country but is actually a German tradition. It is also known as Pancake Day in some areas, that is passed down from the English. This is also known as Shrove Tuesday. "Shrove" is the past tense of "shrive" as in "he shrives, he shrove, he has shriven" which in Olde English meant to confess one's sins to a spiritual leader and to receive assurance of God's love and pardon for sins. To receive such advice is to receive "shrift" which, in today's English, is usually associated with a short shrift.Carnival, the traditional celebration in New Orleans and Rio de Janiero, comes from Latin, "Carni" as in "carnivore" and "vale" as in valediction and it means, literally, "farewell to meat." In French, it became Mardi (Tuesday) gras (fat) which became our "Fat Tuesday." One last day of partying, fats, and meat before Lent.All of these traditions seem to rotate around using up stored fat, like the bacon drippings, because the fats would not be used during Lent.So whether your tradition is pancakes, fastnacht or paçzki, they're all related to Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras, or to have been shrove.

Four years later and I finally got my raspberry paçzki! Good stuff. Husband is flipping pancakes tonight for Shrove Tuesday. We had a Mardi Gras party on Saturday and made a King Cake. We've just been full of traditions of the season!

chefjeanine said:
Four years later and I finally got my raspberry paçzki! Good stuff. Husband is flipping pancakes tonight for Shrove Tuesday. We had a Mardi Gras party on Saturday and made a King Cake. We've just been full of traditions of the season!

I had a raspberry paçzki myself this morning! There is a local grocery chain that offers a little more upscale product line than the big chain down the street, and they were selling several different fillings in good, traditional, fat-laden paçzki, covered with a very fine powdered sugar. Most of that powdered sugar is all over the front of my black jacket, so I'll have a reminder of Paçzki Day for awhile. (At least, until I wash my jacket, I suppose.)

It appears that this thread missed its annual bump last year.Two years later, Shrove Tuesday, and I could just C&P my previous post. There's a raspberry paçzki in the kitchen (from that same store) awaiting me and a fresh cup of coffee in just a few hours.Happy Paçzki Day 2013!

I think I'm skipping the paçzki today. You are having my favorite flavor. Enjoy!Husband will be off making pancakes tonight.

I wish they looked like the ones in pic 1. They are covered with powdered sugar. What a mess!

I went to the store and found a limited selection, got blueberry for Roomie and custard for me. Diet. Officially. Blown.

And I still don't see the diference between them and a donut.

If a paçzki is truly a paçzki, baked in the traditional way, it would be made with more eggs and lard. I don't know of a commercial bakery these days that uses lard.When they're made with lard, they are also heavier than a traditional filled donut. Most of the paçzki that I've had over the last few years are actually kind of dry, and the filling explodes when I'm eating it. I suspect that's because the recipe is traditional except the lard, and that makes the difference.(Lard was the secret to my grandmother's fabulous pie crust. Pie crust these days is just awful, thanks to our modern aversion to lard.)

*waves from Michigan*
No Pączki at our house this year - Car Guy and I are both dieting. I had half a bagel for breakfast yesterday (free bagel day at the gym!) and felt guilty about it.

That's okay, I made up for you and ate three - one of each of us.

I made homemade pie crust once, just once. With shortening and butter combined. I told my family, "Enjoy it because I'm NEVER doing this again."

At least you've done it once!

There is a secret to good pie crust.They come in a box.

Time to bump this annual Shrove Tuesday thread!It's Pączki Day!
Paczki.jpg

Yum that looks good! Is that lemon?

Probably. Traditionally, pączkis are prune filled, now popular fillings are prune, lemon, raspberry and today I had a cherry filled pączki.

Husband brought me a raspberry pączki and spent the evening flipping pancakes at a local church.

Time for the annual bump of this delicious thread!

I know what I'm having for dessert tonight!

so...where's the recipe??

Cheated last Saturday and got a box (raspberry) at Meijer. Stopped today at a bakery and picked up one custard and one raspberry. As usual, Larry will be flipping pancakes tonight at a local church.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/Ponczki.jpg/250px-Ponczki.jpgThe delightful Polish pastry! It's Paçzki Day!(Pronounced Poonch-key.)(ETA: This is from TWO THOUSAND SEVEN, folks, so enjoy the thread but remember that this year's discussion starts towards the end! :))
Bumping for 2019!
Happy Paçzki Day!

Hope you had a great Paczki Day, KG. I thought of you. . . forgot to come on here and say hello.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • The_Kitchen_Guy