• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking a Ham for the First Time: Need a Glaze Recipe?

In summary, Becky has never baked a ham and is looking for a recipe. She found one that she likes using mustard, brown sugar, and pineapple juice. She recommends using a roasting pan instead of an oven as the glaze will not stick to the pan.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I have a confession.

I've never baked a ham...ever. The only kind of ham I've ever bought has either come from the deli, or has been prepackaged slices/chunks.

So, I have this 8.5 lb organic, bone-in ham in my refrigerator for Easter...and I think I can figure out how to bake it - but does anyone have a good glaze recipe that I would use with it?:eek:

The one I've used is one that I just kind of tinkered around with until I liked it. It is

Honey
Mustard
Brown sugar

I don't usually use a recipe, just start with the mustard, add some brown sugar, mix, then a little honey and go from there. :) I know that's probably not much help, but you're good & can come up with something from that!

This is gonna sound funny, but trust me:

mustard, honey, crushed cinnamon toast crunch cereal, should be a wet sand consistancy. It is WONDERFUL!

So....for both of these, is it just plain yellow mustard?

That's what I normally use. Although, if you had honey mustard, you could skip the honey! :D

Just be sure to watch it, with the honey & brown sugar, it could burn quickly & your pan? Make sure to line it or spray it well. That stuff is terrible to try & get off!

Becky, I was just thinking I need a glaze recipe- thanks for asking!!

My mom would just spread apricot preserves over hers. Sometimes she would toothpick on pineapple slices (rings) and do a brown sugar glaze. (Melt just a smidge of butter with some brown sugar and pour it on.) Once someone told me to just put the brown sugar directly on the ham, but for some reason that didn't work too well for me. It didn't melt/caramelize, it just stayed in original form, but got dark.

crystalscookingnow said:
That's what I normally use. Although, if you had honey mustard, you could skip the honey! :D

Just be sure to watch it, with the honey & brown sugar, it could burn quickly & your pan? Make sure to line it or spray it well. That stuff is terrible to try & get off!

Even if I'm using my Executive Roasting Pan?;)

You could also glaze Ham with pineapple juice and brown sugar mixed. Then Garnish with sliced pineapples and cherries.

ChefBeckyD said:
Even if I'm using my Executive Roasting Pan?;)

I think the last time I did my ham, I used the rect. baker. I do remember using my roasting pan the time before that though & thought I ruined it!

Make sure that you warm the ham up in the oven without the glaze on. The glaze should only be on for the last 30 minutes (to prevent burning) I always use brown spicy mustard.

lestat_de_leon said:
Make sure that you warm the ham up in the oven without the glaze on. The glaze should only be on for the last 30 minutes (to prevent burning) I always use brown spicy mustard.

Thanks!:thumbup:

crystalscookingnow said:
I think the last time I did my ham, I used the rect. baker. I do remember using my roasting pan the time before that though & thought I ruined it!

:eek: Wow - good to know!

CLEGER said:
You could also glaze Ham with pineapple juice and brown sugar mixed. Then Garnish with sliced pineapples and cherries.

This is what we do too (without the cherries, though).

Here is the one that I use for all of the holidays when I am feeding large numbers of troops:

Cajun Ham

1 large can pineapple juice
1 Bottle of Karo Syrup
1 bottle of Frank's Red Hot
1 Bottle of Spicy Mustard

Mix, inject and baste frequently. Bake at 325 for 18 minutes per pound. Put foil on the top if you're baking (like a pup tent; doesn't have to be sealed up), to avoid burning the sucker. Remove foil for a bit at the end if you want the outside browned.

It is not as spicy as it sounds. I don't like spicy at all! My husband calls me the 'midwestern Heinz ketchup girl'. In fact, I haven't even tried the Spicy Pineapple Rum Sauce because I am afraid that it will be too spicy for me (if that helps you know what I mean) This has a very nice flavor but isn't spicy at all!! My kids (15 yrs and almost 2 yrs)even love it!

This mix is enough for two large hams--so probably twice what you need. I have done this in the old stoneware bowl/lid. If you do it in the roasting pan, you will want to sit the ham down in the pan for the majority of the bake time then maybe up on the rack for the last half hour or so when you remove the foil.

I never liked ham till my Step mom made it this way...

cloves on rough side of ham

glaze... 1c orange juice
1 can of pineapple slices
1 c pineapple juice (or whatever you get from pineapple)
1/3 c brown sugar
1/3 c honey
2 tbsp dry or regular mustard
1 small bottle of gingerale (aprox 1 quart)

Mik all together. Pour half over ham when it first goes into oven. Add as needed until ham is cooked. Add remaining juice if any 10-15 mins before ham is done.

Cook at 350 2-3 hrs depending on Size of ham.

Save juice and heat in a saucepan for gravy. (I like to reduce it just a bit)

my fatherinlaw makes the best ham. He takes a spiral cut ham and injects it with pineapple juice, coke, and then adds brown sugar packing it inbetween the slices.and then patting brown sugar on top. cover with tinfoil he cooks his overnite on low heat and bastes the juices over the top every couple of hours. It is awesome.

1. How long should I bake a ham for?

The general rule for baking a ham is to cook it for about 20 minutes per pound at 325°F. So, if you have a 10-pound ham, it will take about 3.5 hours to bake.

2. Should I cover the ham while baking?

Yes, covering the ham with foil while baking will help keep it moist and prevent the glaze from burning. You can also remove the foil during the last 20 minutes of baking to allow the glaze to caramelize.

3. What kind of glaze should I use for a ham?

There are many different types of glazes you can use for a ham, but some popular options include honey mustard, brown sugar and pineapple, and maple bourbon. You can also get creative and come up with your own glaze recipe using ingredients like fruit preserves, spices, and herbs.

4. How do I apply the glaze to the ham?

It is best to apply the glaze during the last 30 minutes of baking. Use a basting brush to evenly coat the ham with the glaze. You can also make small cuts on the surface of the ham to allow the glaze to seep into the meat.

5. Can I use a slow cooker to bake a ham?

Yes, you can use a slow cooker to bake a ham. Place the ham in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. You can also add the glaze during the last hour of cooking. Keep in mind that the ham may not develop a crispy crust in the slow cooker, so you may want to broil it in the oven for a few minutes before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sih
  • Blueskychef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Blueskychef
  • Pampered Penni UK