• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Does the H1N1 Virus Impact Community Events?

In summary, There is a confirmed case of the flu in an elementary school child in Fort Worth, Texas. Three other suspected cases have been reported in the same district. All schools in the district are closed until further notice to prevent the virus from spreading.
NooraK
Gold Member
Have any of you been affected by this? I'm supposed to do a booth this weekend and one of my consultants has now backed out because she's concerned about exposure.

Personally, I'm not too concerned. I plan to have hand sanitizer on hand, and avoid too much direct contact. For extra added measure, I'll throw my clothes right into the wash when I get home before playing with the baby.

just announced today in fort worth there has been one confirmed case in an elementary school child. Three other suspected cases as well within Fort Worth I.S.D. so, tonight all Fort Worth ISD schools have now been closed until further notice to keep the virus from spreading too rapidly. Pretty scary as that is not too far from me!

The first case reported in Ohio was a child who lives about 10 min away from me...he lives close to another consultant on here as well, so we have been "indirectly" affected. I am not too worred about it either, and I certainly won't let it stop me from doing certain events or anything. I agree about having hand sanitizer there, and just make sure that any products you bring to display goes right into the dishwasher.

good luck!

Not much here in central NY. My husband had a gastrointestinal thing earlier this week and I made him go to the doctor's just to be sure it wasn't the flu as I watch my 3 grandkids here every day. It wasn't it, thankfully. He went back to work today. I have a big show tomorrow night and will certainly be washing everything I take afterwards.

I have absolutely zero desire to pass it on to baby, but on the other hand I'm not clear that this is any more deadly than the normal flu? I know it is virulent because humans have not had exposure, so if you are exposed you will get it, but the flu had always been a problem for high risk people...children and elderly...is this any higher of a risk of death or is it considered risky because it spreads like wildfire?

Take a shower when you get home too, and yes wash the clothes before playing with the baby. I have a cousin who is nurse and she did that for the 1st 2 years of her daughter's life...she worked in a hospital at the time. Also, you don't have to shake hands with people - the feeling may be mutual. I'm sure you'll be fine...have lots of hand sanitizer:). Good luck and get lots of leads!

They have shut all schools in the county next to me until Monday. For two cases of the flu. I have a huge show tonight in that area. I am hoping they will come and not disappoint the hostess. I told her yesterday that if people start cancelling to make sure and get their orders.

I guess I am seriously in the minority here, but the press is making waaaaayyy too huge of an issue about this and is causing almost, pandemonium throughout the country. I've got a booth this weekend and next and I'm not doing anything different than I normally would. As with the common cold and any other bugs, the best control is simply hand washing. I won't be going to the "nth" degree and washing my clothes as soon as I get home or taking a shower (unless I'm really sweaty) because personally, I don't see a need for it. I wish that the press would just chill out about all of this. As mentioned above, it's really just another form of the flu and unfortunately, many people do die from the flu every single year.

c00p said:
I guess I am seriously in the minority here, but the press is making waaaaayyy too huge of an issue about this and is causing almost, pandemonium throughout the country. I've got a booth this weekend and next and I'm not doing anything different than I normally would. As with the common cold and any other bugs, the best control is simply hand washing. I won't be going to the "nth" degree and washing my clothes as soon as I get home or taking a shower (unless I'm really sweaty) because personally, I don't see a need for it. I wish that the press would just chill out about all of this. As mentioned above, it's really just another form of the flu and unfortunately, many people do die from the flu every single year.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Honestly, until I got that email last night, I had not thought about it at all. I was on the same page as Andrea. But it just made me wonder whether I was being too casual about it. For myself personally, I'm not worried. Life has just changed since the baby was born, and I look at some things differently.

But like I said, had she not backed out, I wouldn't have even thought about it, so I suppose in the end it isn't something I'm worried about anyway.

I asked my Endo about what he thought Tues. at my appt. and he said people die from the regular flu every year and that people would die from this flu too, but those people most susceptible to death are those who are weak and ill to begin with, just like with all other viruses and that he doesn't think it should be cause for panic. If you live in fear everyday of what could kill you, you would get nothing else done. Right now I have two friends who have very close family members dying of cancer, which in my opinion is the most horrible and unpredictable disease out there, but there is nothing they can do. So, what it boils down to is all the worrying and stressing in the world won't change anything, you just have to put it in God's hands and pray that whatever you get you will be strong enough to overcome.

I think the hype is just blowing this way out of proportion. 20,000-30,000 people die EVERY YEAR from the flu (rather, complications from the flu usually). Yet a few people die from just another strain, and they act like we are all going to die!I was in Walmart the other day and the cashiers are wearing plastic gloves now. I'm waiting for the cases to start showing up in NC and then you'll see them wearing masks! Hopefully, this will quickly run it's course and die out- as fast as the last global pandemic- SARs and Bird Flu....oooooo...remember those! Horrible. Mainly- the countries HARDEST hit are the ones with the poorest medical treatment or ability to get the treatment.Granted, if i had a young infant or someone with special needs to consider- yes, I'd take extra precautions....but I'm not doing things any different than I normally do: washing hands when we get home from errands, and doing the sanitizers in the car between stops, etc. And of course, staying home when we ARE SICK! What a concept!Sorry- this just irritates me how it just is blown out of proportion.

esavvymom said:
I think the hype is just blowing this way out of proportion. 20,000-30,000 people die EVERY YEAR from the flu (rather, complications from the flu usually). Yet a few people die from just another strain, and they act like we are all going to die!

I was in Walmart the other day and the cashiers are wearing plastic gloves now. I'm waiting for the cases to start showing up in NC and then you'll see them wearing masks! Hopefully, this will quickly run it's course and die out- as fast as the last global pandemic- SARs and Bird Flu....oooooo...remember those! Horrible. Mainly- the countries HARDEST hit are the ones with the poorest medical treatment or ability to get the treatment.

Granted, if i had a young infant or someone with special needs to consider- yes, I'd take extra precautions....but I'm not doing things any different than I normally do: washing hands when we get home from errands, and doing the sanitizers in the car between stops, etc. And of course, staying home when we ARE SICK! What a concept!

Sorry- this just irritates me how it just is blown out of proportion.
I heard the same thing as you have. Nothing going on here, nobody is going above and beyond normal activities.

Here in Alabama they have closed three schools in the county over from us. They have cancelled all school sport functions this weekend and until at least Tuesday for the entire state. Our school was playing in the softball regions this weekend to get ready for State.
Rec ball is still playing but no school ball.

My DH taking me to Vegas for a few days for my 50th Birthday. I.m not to worryied but I did get AIR BORN for the plane and also hand saitiser

If anyone sneezes on the plane I may have to kill them

Flu is flu is flu!!! Just practice safe contact. Hand washing etc. This is just getting air time because of the fact it started from a pig and not a human. Just be conscience of people around you.

chef131doreen said:
My DH taking me to Vegas for a few days for my 50th Birthday. I.m not to worryied but I did get AIR BORN for the plane and also hand saitiser

Okay - you crack me up Doreen! Have a great time in Vegas - what a fun town - I celebrated my 21st and 30th there.

Shoot. I did that going to Hawaii last year. I'd take sanitizer wipes and wipe down everything in my 'cube' and my kids- the arm rests, the controls, the headrests *shiver...eww*, the trays, etc. And that was without a 'so-called pandemic'. :D

Our state has said now that they have the authority to force mandatory quarantine on anyone exhibiting symptoms. Well shoot, that's half the state right now - it's allergy season people! Everyone is coughing, or has a runny nose or any number of other symptoms. My DH wore a T-shirt from MExico to work today- on purpose. Of course, people were asking him if he went to Mexico. I told him he should have said "Yes" *cough cough*, "Why? Is that a problem?" Course then someone would report him and he'd be forcibly detained.:rolleyes:

I agree it is a little premature to know where this flu is going.. but to be careful is always the best bet. Use sanitizer.. etc.. the problem with this flu is it is killing young adults.. not the norm for flu (that usually kills very young and old and sick)... and if they don't take precautions.. it could spread more rapidly to more people -killing a larger # of people. I applaud the quick efforts to keep the flu from spreading. Any life saved is well worth any efforts/inconviences to do so. We have it right here in Houston and thank goodness the US version is mild at this point. Cause if they don't take proactive actions.. they will hear it from everyone on how they did "too little too late". (Katrina comes to mind) The sad part is if these actions work and a major outbreak does not happen.. many will criticize the US for being overreactive...but really it will be hard to tell what would have happened. I just know I don't have any family members nor friends I would like to lose to this flu. And as far as statistics.. it is 36,000 - 40,000 a year that die from the regular flu each year. That is a shame.

chef131doreen said:

That made me laugh so hard! Have a good time Doreen, and try not to get violent!:D

Yes, if people were more thoughtful, we wouldn't spread so much in the first place. If I have a cold, I don't shake people's hands. I'm aware of washing MY hands often so I don't spread my germs to them. I know they are worried about this b/c we don't have natural immunities built up to it and such, but I don't think it's supposed to be more dangerous, right? Just may affect more people easier? I do get sick of the media trying to scare us every two seconds. I just thought of y2k. Wasn't something like the world ending supposed to happen with that? It's really the unknown.

pchefjaime said:
Flu is flu is flu!!! Just practice safe contact. Hand washing etc. This is just getting air time because of the fact it started from a pig and not a human. Just be conscience of people around you.

Um no !!!! This happens to be three different strains of flu in one!!

There is no vaccine for it yet and that is why there is so much panic. I agree that we shouldn't panic and over react, but we also need to make sure we continue to educate ourselves and be aware. If people act like it's no big deal then it could get out of control.

I just had a host call me to reschedule tomorrow's show because she was going to have it at her sister's house & she has flu-like symptoms & was put on antibiotics. I told her that if she found an alternate place to have it, we could still do it - or to just have everyone order from my website & I'll turn it into a catalog show. I hope she can get people to order still!

esavvymom said:
I think the hype is just blowing this way out of proportion. 20,000-30,000 people die EVERY YEAR from the flu (rather, complications from the flu usually). Yet a few people die from just another strain, and they act like we are all going to die!

I was in Walmart the other day and the cashiers are wearing plastic gloves now. I'm waiting for the cases to start showing up in NC and then you'll see them wearing masks! Hopefully, this will quickly run it's course and die out- as fast as the last global pandemic- SARs and Bird Flu....oooooo...remember those! Horrible. Mainly- the countries HARDEST hit are the ones with the poorest medical treatment or ability to get the treatment.

Granted, if i had a young infant or someone with special needs to consider- yes, I'd take extra precautions....but I'm not doing things any different than I normally do: washing hands when we get home from errands, and doing the sanitizers in the car between stops, etc. And of course, staying home when we ARE SICK! What a concept!

Sorry- this just irritates me how it just is blown out of proportion.

This makes me laugh so hard!! The flu is passed by getting the germs into mucus membranes. So, cashier handles germ infected money, cashier rubs nose, cashier is exposed. Doesn't matter if they are wearing gloves or not.
As others have said, the flu kills approx. 35,000 people a year and hospitalizes an average of 200,000. They are really hyping this up.

Just a thought, take a look at some of the current laws trying to be passed and see if you find any correlation between them and the pandemic:

H.R. 875: 2010 Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009
Also, S. 425 (A bill for "food safety")

Our government is proposing we Radio Frequency ID chip livestock to help eliminate animal disease. They are also proposing we get rid of organic farming to get rid of disease. They say if we "know" where things come from we can somehow lower disease rates.

They have also proposed RFID chips in drivers licenses and have already implemented them into Passports. This seems weird to me. ID chip everything for protection. I don't feel protected, I feel violated.

The "Swine Flu" looks like a way to validate their bills by saying we could have stopped this by ID chipping animals and humans there by containing the disease. Call me crazy, but it looks hokey to me.

***Steps off of soap box.***

A couple good tips from my friend who works at public health here.

even if you use sanitizer you need to wash your hands well after 4-5 uses of sanitizer.

If you feel like you may have symptoms call you dr office. DO NOT run to the emergency room or clinic. You are just helping to spread the bug. If your clinic want's you come in they may have you come thru a seperate entrance and in a special room with special air filtration. Many clinics do this for chicken pox as well.

Paulette, Thanks for those tips!

What is H1N1 Virus (Aka the Swine Flu)?

H1N1 Virus, also known as the Swine Flu, is a contagious respiratory illness caused by the H1N1 influenza virus. It was first identified in 2009 and is a combination of genes from human, avian, and swine influenza viruses.

How is H1N1 Virus transmitted?

H1N1 Virus is primarily spread through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It can also be transmitted by touching a surface or object contaminated with the virus and then touching one's mouth, nose, or eyes.

What are the symptoms of H1N1 Virus?

The symptoms of H1N1 Virus are similar to those of the regular flu and may include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, fatigue, and sometimes vomiting and diarrhea.

Who is at risk for H1N1 Virus?

Anyone can get H1N1 Virus, but certain groups are at higher risk for complications, including young children, pregnant women, older adults, and individuals with underlying health conditions.

How can I protect myself and others from H1N1 Virus?

The best way to prevent the spread of H1N1 Virus is to practice good hygiene habits, such as washing your hands regularly, covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, and avoiding close contact with sick individuals. Additionally, getting the flu vaccine can help protect against H1N1 Virus.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AlowayFamily
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
reneenshelcook4u
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies