• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Guess It's My Turn to Vent! (Not a Pampered Chef Rant, and It's Long)

In summary, Sarah's current boss wants her to work from home full time, but she is only able to do this for a few hours a week because her 14 year old daughter needs to go to school. Her husband gets up at 3:30 in the morning and is gone all day.
pampchefsarah
Gold Member
I work for a company which has an office 48 miles from my home. September 2007 my then-boss realized it was ridiculous for me to commute 1.5 hours, minimum, each way, and told me to work from home - which I've been doing for over a year.

My current boss started this past May, and it was obvious from the start he didn't like this situation, but allowed it to remain in place. Until, that is, last Thursday when he sent me an e-mail saying that there is a lack of communication between me and the sales staff and me and the rest of the finance department, so I need to be in the office 8 hours a day for 4 days a week. I explained I can't do this until at least January, because my 14 year old daughter goes to the local high school part time. She starts at 11am, and there is no bus service at that time, so she'd have to cross a very busy-with-a-ton-of-semis-flying-by-and-no-cross-walk highway to get to school. Plus, the time I'd be spending in the car is better spent working at home.

Well, after a couple of more e-mails I wrote him yesterday that I would work at home 7:30am-10:30am, take my daughter to school, be at the office by 12:30, and leave at 4:30 (to avoid the worst of the traffic). No response, so I thought it was settled. Until, that is, late this afternoon when he wrote back saying no, I have to be in the office 9:30 - 5:30 either M - Th or T - F. And, he wanted me to send him an acknowledgement.

I wrote back "What kind of response are you expecting. I have no choice, right? My opinion doesn't matter. I'll be there Tuesday."

He wrote back "Thank you. You'll understand when you come to the office."

I'll understand what? That, instead of getting e-mails from people, which allows me to respond when I have time, and to respond with the answers they're looking for, they now get to come to my desk and interrupt my work? This is going to improve my workflow how?? Is he going to give me a raise for the $100 a week in gas I'm going to have to start paying again?

Not to mention my PC business is basically garbage, since I'll have no time or energy during the week to work it, and no time on the weekend since I'll have to do all my errands then.

The worst thing, though, is that my husband gets up at 3:30am for his job, and goes to bed at 8:30. So, I'll get home at 7pm (if I'm blessed with light traffic!!), make dinner (we'll be eating alot of chicken and ground beef with those Power Cooking meals), eat, and that will be all I'll see of my husband during the week.

This is crap - pure crap because some little man wants control over me.

And, I can't just quit, because my salary covers our mortgage, and my husband's paychecks cover all the other expenses. Unless, of course, I go on welfare and allow Obama to spread the wealth of others to take care of me.

Oh, Sarah, that sucks! Can they even do that? I mean, at least on such a short notice?I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

Unfortunately then can do that. They could make her come to work EVERY DAY. But I agree, it sucks when you are used to it. Hopefully there will be something good out of it. Keep us posted and try not to worry until then.

oh i'm sorry! hopefully something good will come out of this.

Sarah, this stinks! Absolutely stinks!Oh, and if I may vent as well? Earlier this year they cut me down to a 32 hour work week ... I sucked it up and endured it, surviving by blatantly ignoring at least one utility bill every month and leaving grocery buying mostly to my imporverished roomate. A couple of months ago, they laid off two people (though one was re-hired by another department) and I was told that I would get at least some of my hours back when the laid off guy was no longer on the payroll, which would be March.The schedule came out, and guess what? I have 40 hours! Monday was a "comp day" and they asked me to work Friday. I needed to work that day to get caught up on some stuff I have to do. Yay, or so I thought.Um, no. Turns out the guy doing the schedule neglected to notice that Monday was a comp day. He thought it was just my "day off." So I will have to bank another comp day to take off in the future. Geez. Nice of them to let me know. Here I had my hopes up that I would literally have a halfway decent paycheck and the chance to get caught up.I didn't think the restoration of my hours would happen during the middle of a payweek anyway, but I am astounded at the lack of communication in the communication business.Oh, and I am the only wage earner in my household and I can't quit, though I can look for another job in both hours of spare time ...But both the presidential candidates say they want to give me a tax cut. I can take that to the bank ... yeah right. For an entire year, my tax cut under either candidate would be roughly equivalent to about a month and a half of lost wages.

Thanks for the support, everyone. I'm trying to not worry about it for now, but it's kind of consuming my thoughts. I have to remember that I'm not mad at the whole world, just my boss, so there's no reason to be snippy with DD and DH!!

My previous boss (the one who let me work from home in the first place) is still with the company, just in a different department. Even aside from the working from home aspect, I really enjoyed working with him. Maybe I'll see if he needs anyone in his department.

I would definitely voice my displeasure w this situation, and I'd ask for a raise to comp your time and gas.

This situation was in place BEFORE the new boss came around and I'd really state your facts in this. It is definitely unfair to you...and your family! This is not a "family friendly" boss...and he'll probably say that you didn't have to work a job that is so far away if you are not willing to actually "come" to work. You may have to start looking for something else if he will not bend on this.

I have worked for my share of crappy bosses, and men who don't "get it" when it comes to kids and other family things.

I hope it works out for you...and don't take being mistreated! Your boss doesn't NEED to know that you depend on this job...that's what I always hated, they always make you feel like you should be GRATEFUL for having a job. Well, boo to that, they should be grateful that you are putting up w/ their crap!

pampchefsarah said:
My previous boss (the one who let me work from home in the first place) is still with the company, just in a different department. Even aside from the working from home aspect, I really enjoyed working with him. Maybe I'll see if he needs anyone in his department.

i was going to suggest this when i started reading the thread...

chefsteph07 said:
I would definitely voice my displeasure w this situation, and I'd ask for a raise to comp your time and gas.

i agree with steph. dont DEMAND a raise. but i would definitely bring it up on tuesday. 3 hours of commuting is alot of gas. you say your salary covers your mortgage - but now you are going to be cutting into that by filling up your gas tank doubley or tripley more often...

sorry this is happening. bosses can be a pain in the #$@ sometimes.

pampchefsarah said:
Thanks for the support, everyone. I'm trying to not worry about it for now, but it's kind of consuming my thoughts. I have to remember that I'm not mad at the whole world, just my boss, so there's no reason to be snippy with DD and DH!!

That was going to be my suggestion too. Can't hurt to ask! Hope all turns out okay for you.

Personally, I'd wait and see how the beginning of the day goes and what he says. You have no clue yet what is planned. Not good to walk in complaining and demanding if you don't know the situation. Take that from the management side of me!Many companies are down in sales, etc., and watching every dime. If you push too hard and you aren't an important cog then you may end up with less or no job. Be calm, feel it out first, then present a clear case supported by history and comparable situations. Reasonable cases backed by data get looked at. Complaining and asking remind me of my 4 year old going Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy...

What does he mean by "you'll see why on Tuesday". Makes me wonder (and not to worry you) but the first thing I thought of was perhaps "letting you go".

First of all, email is the wrong type of communication to let you know you need to be working in the office. He should have had the decency to call you and speak to you personally instead of letting you process things via email.

Good Luck, I will be praying for you!

I guess I'm the jerk here......It is not your employers problem that an employee lives at a distance unless that is a consideration and a concession upon hire. The employer doesn't care what the cost of gas is nor do they care how long it takes. If an employee decides to work at an office that is at a distance they should have considered that when they interviewed and then accepted the job. If company used to work closer then moved further away each employee has to decide if they are going to continue to work at that place. If so, then they accept the sucki-ness of it.I know it sucks for you but that's work for you. I personally would look for a comparable job closer to home.

I think the issue here is that the "old" boss allowed to work from home, and she has been doing this for over a year and now the "new" boss is demanding she work in the office. Basically, he is changing things up that were not originally agreed upon prior.
Again, I stated in my previous post that he probably won't care, and will tell her that if she is not happy with the current situation then she needs to find something else. I'm sure that will probably be the case. Unless, like Vanessa stated, mabye she is being let go and that's why she has to come in.
Either way you look at it, it stinks.
There needs to be more family friendly businesses out there.

You really don't know until you get there though...I've had a boss say similar things to me at an old job then when I got to the office say he wanted me there because my position changed to more responsibility, pay, etc. She really needs to go in Tuesday with an open, non-complaining mind and play it out.

I definitely think she needs to go w/ an open mind and at least let him state why he wants her there. And then listen to her answer. I guess I'd go there expecting the worst and hoping for the best...that's how I live my life anyway! LOL

What happened when you went to work on Tuesday?

i'ld like to know what happened too!

I was just looking for this thread too - I was out of commission on Tuesday and I'm wondering how it went!

Me too! I've been keeping an eye out for an update....

Y'all are so sweet! I feel so loved!:love:

I actually did write out an update last night, but I guess my daughter was right, and it didn't post! Dang teenagers!

In short - nothing. Absolutely nothing was said, and nothing is different. Theresa from the Hong Kong office met with the team, but it was all the same old stuff they say at every meeting (it's end of year, clean up the books, collect the money, yada yada yada). If I heard him correctly, I think my boss did say something about my needing help, and Theresa saying that would be discussed separately. Who knows, maybe someday, in the far future, I'll have an assistant - if I'm still there.

Just as everyone suggested in the other thread I started about myself :rolleyes:, I did go to the team dinner. Good food, was able to bring leftovers for lunch the next day, but boring, and I would have rather been home with my family.

So, workwise, absolutely nothing has changed, except now I'm in the office - which by the way is set to FREEZE. Guess the employees aren't valued enough to pay for the expense of actually heating the office. But, oh goody, I get to listen to all the gossips, and have people walk up behind me to interrupt my work, and hear other people's phone conversations (please, explain to me why it's necessary to listen to your voice mail, or carry on a phone conversation, while on speaker phone when you're sitting in a cubicle surrounded by 50 other cubicles!!!). And, I get to play the awesome game of 'keep your eyes open while driving!!' Always fun, and so far I've come out a winner (if arriving at my destination without killing anyone is the determination for winning). On the plus side, too, I've learned that if I leave the house at 7am, it takes me 2 hours to get to work, but if I leave at 6:30am, it only takes me 1.5 hours! The same is true about leaving at 5pm versus leaving at 4:30pm.

You know what gets me through the day? Believe it or not, part of it is YOU. Knowing that you are all here to support me, and finding out that so many of you were waiting for an update, reminds me that my life right now isn't all trials and tribulations, and I have a ton of friends, both RL and virtual. Thank you all so miuch for being here for me.

I'm sure it will take some time getting use to it again, but unfortunatly some things have to be sacrificed. I hate it when my BF works out of town and has to travel 1.5-2 hours a day to and from work. Unfortunatly he has to go where the money is though. Right after his son moved in with us, he was working 2 hours away, and it was leaving me here alone to help a 6 yo adjust to a new home after being told my his mother and grandmother that he wasn't welcomed to live there anymore because he was such a bad kid. He hated females for quite a while, and it was hard, but I had to adjust to help him adjust. It's 3 months later now, and he's fine being here, and him and I get along great most of the time now! LOL not meaning to take over this thread to make it about me, but his dad is at the hardware store right now getting somethings for the furnace before they close, so I had to tuck him into bed and he just gave me a kiss for the first time!!!

Anyways! sorry! I hope things really work out for you, and if they can't be solved that you are able to find something closer to home that works with what you need!

candiejayne said:
I'm sure it will take some time getting use to it again, but unfortunatly some things have to be sacrificed. I hate it when my BF works out of town and has to travel 1.5-2 hours a day to and from work. Unfortunatly he has to go where the money is though. Right after his son moved in with us, he was working 2 hours away, and it was leaving me here alone to help a 6 yo adjust to a new home after being told my his mother and grandmother that he wasn't welcomed to live there anymore because he was such a bad kid. He hated females for quite a while, and it was hard, but I had to adjust to help him adjust. It's 3 months later now, and he's fine being here, and him and I get along great most of the time now! LOL not meaning to take over this thread to make it about me, but his dad is at the hardware store right now getting somethings for the furnace before they close, so I had to tuck him into bed and he just gave me a kiss for the first time!!!

Anyways! sorry! I hope things really work out for you, and if they can't be solved that you are able to find something closer to home that works with what you need!

I bet that was one sweet kiss! It's good that he has you as a female in his life to show him love!

Yes, unfortunatly his mother choose drugs over him, and his grandmother didn't want to be burdened with him ( I don't blame her, he has a perfectly good father who has been trying to get full custody of him for 3 years) but its unfortunate that it had to happen the way it did! I can't wait for his daddy to get home so I can tell him about our major breakthrough!

candiejayne said:
Yes, unfortunatly his mother choose drugs over him, and his grandmother didn't want to be burdened with him ( I don't blame her, he has a perfectly good father who has been trying to get full custody of him for 3 years) but its unfortunate that it had to happen the way it did! I can't wait for his daddy to get home so I can tell him about our major breakthrough!

I'm so happy for you that it's working out. He's a very lucky little guy! :)

Okay, now back to Sarah!! ;) I wish you all the best with the new arrangements. Hope you can get used to things soon....I would hate to drive all that way, but think of it as "pump up" and "wind down" times. Listen to motivational tapes to/from work. I always enjoy doing that.

And, I know what you mean about the phone thing. Some people like for everyone to hear them and think we actually care about their conversations!! :rolleyes: I have my iPod with me always and listen to that when things get too crazy. Works great! :)

The MP3 player is a great idea! I sometimes use mine, can only put one earphone in, but it helps take focus off of my surroundings, but I can still hear what I need to!

Andrea, feel free to hijack my thread anytime - especially with a great story like that!!

Marie-France, one of the good things about the commute is that I do get to listen to my favorite Christian radio station on a regular basis again!

You can also download the PC recordings/CDs, etc and listen to them while working. 2 birds with 1 stone! Ü

1. What is "Guess It's My Turn to Vent!" about?

"Guess It's My Turn to Vent!" is a personal story shared by one of our team members at Pampered Chef. It is not a rant about our company, but rather a reflection on her own journey and struggles.

2. Why did Pampered Chef choose to share this story?

Pampered Chef values transparency and believes in sharing real experiences and perspectives from our team members. This story showcases the ups and downs of being an entrepreneur and the determination it takes to succeed.

3. Is this story meant to discourage others from joining Pampered Chef?

No, not at all. This story is meant to inspire and provide insight into the challenges and rewards of being a part of the Pampered Chef family. Every journey is unique and we encourage individuals to make their own decisions based on their own experiences and goals.

4. How does Pampered Chef support its team members during difficult times?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of resources and support for our team members, including mentorship, training, and a strong community. We also have a 24/7 support line for all consultants to reach out to for any assistance they may need.

5. Can anyone join Pampered Chef, regardless of their background or experience?

Yes, Pampered Chef welcomes anyone who is interested in joining our team. We have consultants from all walks of life and backgrounds, and we provide training and support to help them succeed in their business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • jrny2001
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jrny2001