• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Expert Grilling Tips for Your First Show: Impress Your Guests!

In summary, the author provides general tips on grilling, and offers specific instructions for using a grill basket and smoking.
loreo
I am having my first grilling show soon. I would like to come across as knowing a bit about grilling. ;) Does anyone have some great tips that they can share with me so I can share them with my guests?

Thanks!! :D

General tips:
Heat the grill, turn off one side of the burners (assuming gas grill) or move charcoal to one side. Cook on the cooler side (indirect heat). Don't lift the lid too much. Don't over pack the grill. What are you cooking? Most meats, especially chicken need to me marinated to be moist after grilling.

I'm using the grill basket- Margarita chicken, instead of shrimp. I'm not too worried about that part- it's the coming across as knowledgable about grilling in general that I'm working on.

Thanks for the tip!!

are you knowledgeable about grilling? if not, don't try to be something you're not. People appreciate honesty. let them know you are learning and that you appreciate that p chef gives you such straight forward recipes to use...

Here's a few basic tips...

1. As mentioned in a post above, there are quite a few ways to use your grill... two of the most common are "Direct" and "Indirect" cooking. The direct method has you cooking your food over the coals or burners. This method is best used for searing or for cooking foods that cook quickly. With the indirect method, your heat is generated by the coals or burners on one side of your grill, while your meats are cooked on the other side. Indirect cooking will take longer, but your meats are generally juicier and more tender. Also, with indirect heat, you don't have to flip the meat as often and you reduce your chances of burning your food.

2. Do Not use a fork to flip meat on the grill, Always use tongs or a spatula. A fork will let out the vital juices that keep your meats moist.

3. If you're using charcoal, be sure the coals are grey all over - to prevent an after taste from the lighter fluid.

4. If you're using direct heat, DO NOT apply BBQ sauce until the meat is almost done cooking. That will prevent having burnt sauce & raw meat!

5. If you want to "smoke" your meats, use a smoking box for the wood chips & be sure to soak the chips in water for a couple of hours before putting them on the grill. For the best smoking results, use indirect heat (but put the smoking box directly over the heat) to slow cook the meat & absorb the rich smoke flavor. Also keep the lid closed to keep the smoke in.

6. Remember - Chicken takes a long time to cook all the through. Plan on it!

Thank you John!!!!!

doughmama said:
are you knowledgeable about grilling? if not, don't try to be something you're not. People appreciate honesty. let them know you are learning and that you appreciate that p chef gives you such straight forward recipes to use...

My husband is actually going to do the grilling. He does it well ;) We also practice every recipe before a show.
I just wanted to share a few pointers that may be helpful- like I do with the tools. I have not tried every trick for every tool but I share what I have learned from cluster mtgs and on here.

You know the Caasual Cooking Cookbook also has a section about tips for grilling & instructions. It has a neat hand trick for telling if the heat is Med-Hig or Med-Low ect.

This is from an old post- does anybody know this trick?

John,

Thanks for sharing specific details! Will help me plenty. :thumbup:

loreo said:
This is from an old post- does anybody know this trick?

Here you go:

Determining the Heat Level
"To test the heat level of your coals, carefully place your palm above the coals at cooking height. Count the number of seconds you can hold your hand there before the heat makes you withdraw it. If you can keep it there for 3 seconds, the coals are medium-hot. At 4 seconds, the coals are at medium, and at 5 seconds they're at medium low. "

I've got the cookbook in front of me. I'll type up any additional tips for you in a moment.

From Casual Cooking cookbook- the Grilling Tips:

• Use the cooking times in recipes and charts as guidelines. You'll need to allow more cooking time on cold or windy days and at higher ltitudes, and less when the weather is very hot.
  • Lightly coat the grill grid with vegetable oil or cooking spray before placing it over hot coals to keep foods from sticking. Never spray vegetable oil directly over hot coals.
  • Trim excess fat from meats using the Kitchen Shears. Less fat is healthier and keeps flare-ups to a minimum.
  • If flare-ups occur, quickly cover the grill with the lid. In addition, keep the kitchen spritzer (or a spray bottle) filled with water handy to mist any flare-ups that may char your food.
  • Marinate foods in the refrigerator in resealable plastic food storage bags.
  • If a marinade will also be used for brushing the meat during grilling, reserve part of the marinade for brushing before adding the remaining marinade to raw meat, poultry or fish. The same good food safety practice applies to a sauce that will be used for both brushing on meat during grilling and for passing at the table. Divide the sauce for the two uses before starting to cook- to avoid contamination of the sauce with the raw meat.
  • Always discard any leftover marinade or sauce used for brushing that was in contact with raw or partially cooked meat, poultry or fish.
  • Always place cooked foods on a clean platter or Cutting Board to avoid cross-contamination from raw meats.

Grilling Tools from PC (hints)
- From cookbook tips: (A few of these are pretty obvious- but I'll type them up anyway- just in case is sparks any other ideas you didn't think of :D) :cool:

BBQ Basting Brush - This wide brush with natural bristles is ideal for brushing sauces and marinades onto foods while they cook

BBQ Turner - The wide beveled edge of this heavy-duty stainless steel turner is best for turning burgers, steaks, and delicate fish fillets. Be sure to slip the protective sleeve onto the head for safe storage.

BBQ Tongs - The curved stainless steel scalloped edges are perfect for turning most foods or for moving foods on the grill.

BBQ Fork - Use in combination with the turner to hold foods against the turner head or to lift foods from the grill. Avoid piercing meats while cooking so the flavorful juices aren't lost.

BBQ Mitt - Our long, well-insulated suede mitt provides extra protection from the heat of the grill. Its exclusive design allows you to easily grip tools without slipping during use.

Clock/Timer - Take the guesswork out of grilling! Use the clock/timer to let you know when food needs to be checked, turned, or taken off the grill.

Pocket Thermometer - Our instant-read thermometer allows you to check the internal temperature of meats to determine when food is cooked to a safe and/or desired degree of doneness. (just don't 'over poke' it- you'll let the juices out if you do it too much/too soon)

Good luck!

great tips, Bobbi. Thanks.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!

1. What are some basic grilling techniques for beginners?

Some basic techniques for beginners include properly preheating the grill, oiling the grates before cooking, and using a meat thermometer to ensure proper cooking temperature. It's also important to let the meat rest before slicing and to clean the grill after each use.

2. How can I impress my guests with my grilling skills?

To impress your guests, consider using marinades or rubs to add flavor to your meats. You can also experiment with different types of wood chips for a unique smoky taste. Additionally, try grilling vegetables or fruits for a tasty side dish. Presentation is also key, so take the time to arrange your food in an appealing way on the plate.

3. What are some common grilling mistakes to avoid?

Some common grilling mistakes include overcrowding the grill, flipping the meat too often, and using too much sauce or marinade, which can cause flare-ups. It's also important to not lift the lid too often, as this can cause the grill to lose heat and prolong cooking time.

4. Are there any safety tips I should keep in mind while grilling?

Safety is always important when grilling. Make sure to keep a fire extinguisher nearby and never leave the grill unattended. Use long-handled utensils to avoid getting too close to the heat, and keep children and pets away from the grill. It's also important to properly clean and maintain your grill to prevent any potential hazards.

5. How can I ensure my meat is cooked to perfection?

Investing in a good meat thermometer is the best way to ensure your meat is cooked to the desired temperature. The USDA recommends cooking beef, pork, lamb, and veal to an internal temperature of 145°F, and poultry to 165°F. It's also important to let the meat rest for a few minutes before slicing to allow the juices to redistribute and prevent dryness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • ChefMommyof3Boys
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • trps