• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grilling Show Tips: Caribbean Chicken Stir-Fry

In summary, the Pampered Chef demo was hectic and crowded, with guests coming and going. The recipes demo'd were the Triple Citrus Mojitos, rum on the side, and the Fresh Pineapple Salsa, all of which were delicious. The torte was not demo'd, and there were no cooking demos.
pamperedcheermom
I have a grilling show next Saturday and the host wants to do chicken strips on the grill using the Jamaican Jerk seasoning. She also wants to use the grill basket and do mixed veggies. I told her we could call the recipe "Caribbean Chicken Stir-Fry". We'll cut up the chicken after it's cooked and put it in with the veggies.
Just wondered if anybody has any tips when it comes to a grilling show. She invited 46 people but she knows there are some who can't come.

I've never done a show like this so I need all the advice you have. :eek:

TIA

What a great menu! Wish I could help, but have yet to do a show like that! Make sure you keep us updated and let us know the details!

With that number of invited guests, it's bound to be a success! I would try and get a firm number of attendees so that you can be sure to have enough. I might have the main dishes done, and demo a Keep It Cool dessert. Maybe have the hosts do the grilling before you get there, or have it already on its way.......allowing them to use ALL the BBQ tools you have, so that they can report to the guests how great they are.

This is going to be a long post, but hopefully it will help you.

Yesterday I did what was supposed to be a Cooking Show, featuring the Fresh Pineapple Salsa (made with Salad Choppers instead of the Food Chopper), Tropical Torte, and veggies in the Grill Basket. The host would also provide brie and baguette, so guests could try out the new Sauces and the Oil Dipping Seasonings.

The E-vite (not PWS, but an actual E-vite) was titled Pampered Chef BBQ, and the body said there would be a Pampered Chef demo. A couple of the RSVP's mentioned excitement about Pampered Chef, so the concept was not completely lost. A couple of days before the show I contacted my host to be confirm she wanted to do the Torte, or would she rather do a Trifle. It was during this conversation she mentioned all the meat her husband was going to grill, and how many salads should she make? Her 'show' had turned into a full-blown barbecue! I told her we would need to plan when we would do the demo, and she said not to worry, all the food would be prepared before I even got there, and would not be served until after the demo was over. For the most part, this was true, but she did put out all her appetizers along with the brie and dipping oils, so these kind of got 'lost' as Pampered Chef products (not completely, though; at least one guest wants the Medium Round Stone AND the sauces).

The recipes demo'd were the Triple Citrus Mojitos, rum on the side, since there were alot of children and non-drinkers present (2 Family Size QSPs sold), and the Fresh Pineapple Salsa, made in the Classic Batter Bowl with the Salad Choppers (2 Choppers and 1 Small BB sold). We also did veggies in the grill basket, but by this time all the guests were going in and out, or downstairs, etc (actually, this was happening throughout, which made the demo very hectic), so it was not a demonstration. Turned out delicious, though (first batch was multi-colored selection of bell peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, and onion, cut into strips - spritzed with oil and sprinkled with about 1t of SW rub; second batch was asparagus and mushrooms, no seasoning; mix all veggies together once cooked, and serve). We never did do the Tropical Torte.

What I would do differently in future (my sister wants to do this same set-up at her next show!):

*Definitely have all the non-pc food prepared ahead of time, but don't let any of it be put out until after the demo.

*Ask the host if s/he can have a table separate for the demo, from the one on which the food will be served. This way, not only does the PC product stand out more, it makes clean-up easier, because you know exactly where your stuff is! In this case, if I had known, I would have brought one of my folding tables, and done the demo in the living room (where everyone tended to congregate, since that's where the seating was). As the demos didn't require any cooking (except the grill basket), this would have been perfect. Since, though, they were being done at the dining room table, where all the food was set-up, anyone coming in late (which was almost everyone), just thought I was making something to contribute to the barbecue, until someone explained it was a PC demo.

*I would have started the salsa first, and had the CBB and Salad Choppers going around the room while I did the demo of the Triple Citrus Mojitos.

*Establish with the host the schedule for the demo and order taking. Yesterday I was there an extra hour, at least, because I couldn't pack up my product, as people were still eating (I cleaned and packed whenever an item became available), and I didn't know when to start taking orders (it was a barbecue/party atmosphere, so everyone was busy socializing). Eventually one woman had to leave, so she sat down and started filling out her order form. Once I sat down with the computer everyone else got the idea, and started completing their order forms, as well. I should have, when I realized this was no longer just a Cooking Show, told my host "since people are expected to arrive at 3pm, we'll start the demo at 3:15. That should be done by 4pm, and I'll start taking orders at 4:30, after people have had time to eat, look over the catalog, and ask questions."

*Establish with the host how she will let new comers know the demonstrations and recipes they missed. Yesterday, people were arriving 3 hours after the party started, and I was pretty much ready to leave. Unless they're already familiar with PC, or the host really talks it up, it's doubtful they'll order anything.

*Don't discourage a barbecue - it's what people expect this time of year, and will draw more guests (especially husbands) than "just" a Cooking Show. All that's needed is making sure it's clear what is the Show, then move on to the barbecue.

Great details and specifics sarah! Thanks for taking all that time to post it! I love the ideas of BBQ's....and you're right, it's expected. What did your total sales for that show end up at.....if I can be so nosy!

Will jot down your notes to use when I finally get a grill party signed! One of my goals is a boy's bbq and women's social! = )

I have 3 Grilling Shows scheduled (so far) for this summer. For two of them, we will be doing Grilled Italian Pizza...w/ grilled pineapple slices in the Grill Basket for Pineapple Sundaes (featuring the pineapple rum sauce). Both of these are Guy Parties. For the couples party, I'm not sure yet what we will be doing.
When you do grilling parties, people naturally think they are coming to eat, so I try to make the demo a substantial part of the menu. This alleviates some of the problem of the demo/PC recipe being lost amongst the other food. I DO NOT want everyone raving about any other recipes except the ones I'm demoing!

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Great details and specifics sarah! Thanks for taking all that time to post it! I love the ideas of BBQ's....and you're right, it's expected. What did your total sales for that show end up at.....if I can be so nosy!

Will jot down your notes to use when I finally get a grill party signed! One of my goals is a boy's bbq and women's social! = )

When I left yesterday it was $300, with a couple more orders to come in.

Becky, you're right about the recipes! Be sure to establish the entire menu ahead of time with host, so you're not surprised 2 days before, like me.

Another consultant and I did a grilling show/Man Show, last year and it was a bust. I think we each got a $200 show but we spent a lot more than we made. We showed a pasta salad, grill tools, basket, etc. We had specfic times that we would do a demo (two demos) and also had a raffle, etc.

We are not doing it this year as it wasn't worth it even with all our contacts!

Similar thing happened to me on my first ever show, Sarah. The host, concerned about low attendance, THE DAY OF asked some more people to join her for BBQ and that a PC show would also be happening. There were literally about 20 children and 7 adults. The guests were there by the time I got there (this was really "un good") and basically they did the BBQ first. Then one guest actually left right after that before I could do my thing. The actual demo went pretty well but the distraction element from the kids was a bit much for a newbie like me. I didn't want to discourage the host when she told me 3 hours before my event that people would be there to BBQ, but looking back, even she said the timing between the two was very challenging. Glad yours went well Sarah!

Just wanted to mention that we are not allowed to do the grilling at a BBQ show... at least that's what I was told last year when I did one. We had the husband stay and do the grilling while the ladies watched the rest of the demo and drank the Slap Your Mama Margaritas.
On a different note, kind of related... I had a show last week where one of the guests (Who happens to be a Tupperware lady) wanted to book a show, I overheard her telling the host that she would do a grilling show and have on her son's 13th birthday so that way I could cook all of the food for the party! I couldn't believe it! So, I just ignored her, but then she pinned me down and wanted her host packet, so I told her that I didn't think that I was available for that day in June, I would get back to her. Then when I had her fill out the host sheet, she didn't have a phone number or email address, so there is no way for me to get in touch with her. She said that she was getting a phone this week, so I told her to call me when she got a phone. This is one booking that I DO NOT want! By the way, she didn't order anything from this show, either. And how in the world can she sell Tupperware without a phone or email address... how can people even get in touch with her!? Anyway, sorry, had to vent a little... Good Luck with your Grilling show, let us know how it goes!

ChefPaulaB said:
Just wanted to mention that we are not allowed to do the grilling at a BBQ show... at least that's what I was told last year when I did one. We had the husband stay and do the grilling while the ladies watched the rest of the demo and drank the Slap Your Mama Margaritas.
On a different note, kind of related... I had a show last week where one of the guests (Who happens to be a Tupperware lady) wanted to book a show, I overheard her telling the host that she would do a grilling show and have on her son's 13th birthday so that way I could cook all of the food for the party! I couldn't believe it! So, I just ignored her, but then she pinned me down and wanted her host packet, so I told her that I didn't think that I was available for that day in June, I would get back to her. Then when I had her fill out the host sheet, she didn't have a phone number or email address, so there is no way for me to get in touch with her. She said that she was getting a phone this week, so I told her to call me when she got a phone. This is one booking that I DO NOT want! By the way, she didn't order anything from this show, either. And how in the world can she sell Tupperware without a phone or email address... how can people even get in touch with her!? Anyway, sorry, had to vent a little... Good Luck with your Grilling show, let us know how it goes!

Where did you hear this? That's the first time I've ever heard that, and I've been doing Grilling Shows for several years. :confused:

I can't remember, it seems like maybe my director told me... she said that we are not covered under the insurance to touch the grill. We just have to have someone else do the grilling. I'm almost positive that it was my director or maybe someone on here, but it was last summer that I did it, so I can't remember for sure. Guess maybe that's something we should find out for sure, if you've never heard that, huh?

I think I'd limit my "grilling shows" anyway- I don't grill at my own house.. (DH doesn't let me near it....not as if I haven't tried). I probably WOULD be a liability nightmare if I tried at someone else's house. :D I generally suggest "patio" party or something that would be appetizers or something or no-cook demos. (haven't done any yet, but have 2 for later this summer).Sarah- I hope your BBQ show ended up getting higher sales than $300! Sounds like you went to a ton of work for very little. And hopefully any bookings you get don't want to do the same thing. :D

I'm doing a Grilling "Elite Cooking Class" at my home in June. I limit attendance in the "Elite Cooking Class" to eight and I always cook three dishes, one being a dessert. This one is a BBQ theme and I'll be demonstrating the grill basket, skewers, and the collapsible bowls, etc. Perfect for south Texas as the grilling season here is LONG! I've also done BBQ shows and fortunately, the hosts have been experienced PC hosts who made only PC recipes and made it clear to their guests that all of the recipes were PC recipes and really talked up the products, too. I think it's important to do a lot of host coaching if doing a BBQ show. Letting the host know that the success of their sales (and their free product value) will depend on what their guests know. I've had kids at the parties and some guests who were there more for the free food than the products, but the shows were still pretty successful. Both were over $500 in sales, so I was happy that the guests weren't too distracted to still order. I used the skewers in both shows, grilled burgers to use the bbq tools (actually, some of the guys did the grilling and LOVED the tools), lots of the seasonings/rubs and made sure I also had some cold products for snacking (and used the crinkle cutter to cut the melons and veggies), used the PC dill dip for the veggie tray and served chips and salads in the collapsible bowls. The Triple Citrus Mojitos and the Cran-Raspberry Fizz were very popular in the QSPs.

ChefPaulaB said:

My D also told me that - for insurance purposes....???

esavvymom said:
I think I'd limit my "grilling shows" anyway- I don't grill at my own house.. (DH doesn't let me near it....not as if I haven't tried). I probably WOULD be a liability nightmare if I tried at someone else's house. :D I generally suggest "patio" party or something that would be appetizers or something or no-cook demos. (haven't done any yet, but have 2 for later this summer).

Sarah- I hope your BBQ show ended up getting higher sales than $300! Sounds like you went to a ton of work for very little. And hopefully any bookings you get don't want to do the same thing. :D

Nope, it was only $300, and the host only took advantage of the free and 1/2 price, so she only spent $10.00. No bookings. Also, that was my only submittable show for May. :eek::cry: Oh, well, at least I'm active.

My director warned us not to LIGHT the grill. We are fine with operating it.I'd be sure to show off the rubs and the collapsable bowl, if you have them.

Di_Can_Cook said:
My director warned us not to LIGHT the grill. We are fine with operating it.

I'd be sure to show off the rubs and the collapsable bowl, if you have them.

good to know!:thumbup:

Just saw this and it looks yummy! Grilled Strawberry Bread....

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/content/printContent.do?urlName=grilled-strawberry-bread

I'm having a Grilling show next month - couples. I will have a table outside for the "guys" that includes all the grilling items. I will also put order forms along w/catalogs out there too! They will be in charge of grilling the Kabobs and veggies while the girls will be inside with me making the dessert. Once I'm done with the dessert I will invite the girls outside (w/their order forms) & do a Q&A on any tools that were used. I'm hoping it will be a great show!! Wish me luck!

Best of wishes, Angel. I have a grilling show next weekend that is turning into a "doozie". I've never done a show with the amount of people she's having show up. There are 2 or 3 women who are consultants from other DS companies. I'll be as nervous as a chihuahua passing a peach seed!

Thanks for the tips!

Glad to see this tread pop back up! I'm trying to pull together some recipes to have the host choose from for a grilling show later this month.

What ingredients do I need for the Caribbean Chicken Stir-Fry?

The ingredients for this dish include boneless chicken breasts, coconut milk, pineapple juice, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger, bell peppers, onions, pineapple chunks, and Caribbean seasoning.

How long does it take to cook the Caribbean Chicken Stir-Fry on the grill?

The total cooking time for this dish is approximately 20 minutes. The chicken should be grilled for 8-10 minutes on each side, and the vegetables should be grilled for 6-8 minutes.

Can I use a different type of protein instead of chicken for this recipe?

Yes, you can substitute chicken with shrimp, pork, or tofu for this recipe. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.

Do I need any special equipment to make this Caribbean Chicken Stir-Fry?

You will need a grill, a grill basket or skewers, and a knife for this recipe. Optional equipment includes a vegetable peeler and a meat thermometer.

What are some side dishes that pair well with the Caribbean Chicken Stir-Fry?

This dish goes well with rice, quinoa, or grilled vegetables. You can also serve it with a side of fresh fruit or a mixed green salad.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefNic
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
tlennhoff
  • pamperedpals
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • chefmelody