• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Cleaning a Grill Tray: PAM vs. Soaking and Scrubbing

In summary, the author is having a lot of trouble getting the grill tray clean after using it. The only difference between the two shows was that they used Pam on the tray. The author has tried scrubbing, soaking, and using the cleaner. The author is worried about the black spots on the food. The author suggests using the cleaner, using the scraper, and leaving it in the BBQ grill to cook off.
loreo
I did a grill show Tuesday ( the same show that I did last week) and I am having a TERRIBLE time getting the grill tray clean!! The only difference between the two shows is the most recent one we used PAM on the tray prior. I have soaked it, scrubbed it with the brush and have gone through 3 SOS pads:eek: !It looks better after the SOS pads but there are still charred spots on it. Any suggestions? I'm soaking it now and planning on more elbow grease and SOS pads in the morning. :yuck:

It will naturally darken. Are these charred spots stuck on food, or just blackened metal?

It's food :( We did Margarita Chicken and some how the "grill lady" made a mess! I'm not worried about the dark spots- I can run my fingers over the char and feel it.

Mine's black! I had someone look at it at a party this week, and she said "Wow, you must use this alot!" Sold 3 of them at the party!:thumbup:

Black and rough or just discolored? Mine reminds me of when your grill hasn't been cleaned for a while and you put foil over it.

My grill basket is like this, too. At my last show, the "helper" burned the food and now I can't get it cleaned very good either. =( I'm not worried about the color... it's the baked/burned on food I worry about. If I didn't have to show it then I wouldn't care, but if I were a guest I would wonder if the consultant ever washed her dishes! LOL

I wonder if the Stainless Steel Cleaner would work. We don't grill, so I have no practical experience with it.

raebates said:
I wonder if the Stainless Steel Cleaner would work. We don't grill, so I have no practical experience with it.

I've used the cleaner on the discolored parts and it worked pretty good. I dunno about the baked on stuff, though.

I hose it off in the sink then toss it in the dishwasher. It's discolored, but it's clean and no stuck-on food. Love this item!

Get an old fork and work it on the food particle places. Once it discolors (heat from BBQ or dishwasher) it can't come back to glossy silver. I tell my customers not to expect it to stay 'beautiful', but to expect beautiful food from it, instead!

Great hints--I have a "grill party" this afternoon and will use mine for the first time--so do you always spray it first?

After I use mine and if it gets caked on with black, I just leave it in the BBQ grill to cook off. Just like I do with the BBQ grill. Then sometimes wash it. If it is used to be on a BBQ, chances of keeping it from discoloring are slim.

I burned (like 4 alarm fire burned) some bacon wrapped green beans in my older one, and had all sorts of burnt food stuck to mine. Someone on here recommended barkeeper's friend, and most of the jagged food bits came off. It is still black, but at least usable!!

I soak mine in hot water with Dawn & then the food scrubs off fairly easily with a scrub brush. I have a round one that I use a LOT that fits in the palm of my hand. I recently bought the PC one with the long handle, but I still prefer the hand held round one, it works so much better.This last time, my MIL put it in the dishwasher & it just baked on the food. I've been scrubbing on it for days & it's still not clean. :(

I finally got it off with much scrubbing and soaking. It was really baked on. Used it last night- same recipe with no problems. That former "grill lady" just did something really funky.

How about this: http://www.easyoff.us/whatsnew.shtml (Easy Off Spray On BBQ Grill Cleaner)

You can sign up for coupons on their website, too!

I've managed to get some burnt on particles off of my grill basket by using one of the brown pan scrapers....might try that, especially using a "corner" of it. Good luck.

1. What is the best method for cleaning a grill tray?

The best method for cleaning a grill tray depends on the level of buildup and charred spots. Soaking and scrubbing with a brush and SOS pad can be effective, but using a non-stick cooking spray like PAM before grilling can also make cleaning easier.

2. Why did using PAM on the grill tray make it harder to clean?

Using PAM on the grill tray can create a sticky residue that can be difficult to remove. This residue can attract more buildup and charred spots, making it harder to clean the tray.

3. How long should I soak the grill tray before cleaning?

The length of time for soaking the grill tray depends on the level of buildup. It is recommended to soak the tray for at least 30 minutes before scrubbing with a brush or SOS pad.

4. What can I do if there are still charred spots on the grill tray after cleaning?

If there are still charred spots on the grill tray after cleaning, you can try soaking it again or using a grill cleaner specifically designed for removing tough buildup. You may also need to use more elbow grease and scrubbing to remove the spots.

5. Is there a way to prevent charred spots from forming on the grill tray?

There are a few ways to prevent charred spots from forming on the grill tray. One method is to clean the tray immediately after using it, before the buildup has a chance to harden. Another way is to use a non-stick cooking spray before grilling to prevent food from sticking and causing buildup.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AJ-1
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • AJ-1
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • gilliandanielle