• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grill Pizza Pan Burning Crust - Advice Needed

In summary, the customer is asking about her pan and the consultant said that every time she makes a pizza on the grill on the pizza pan the crust is done and starting to burn. The customer has an infrared grill and the consultant said that if the customer put the pizza on the side where the burners were off the crust would not be done. The customer also mentioned that they make pizza on the grill a lot and heat the grill on high with the lid closed for 10 minutes.
trps
Silver Member
I have a customer asking about her pan. I do not have a grill so I couldn't help her.

She said every time she makes a pizza on her grill on the pizza pan the crust is done and starting to burn so she takes it in and puts it in her oven to cook the top.

She said she has an infrared grill (?) and that she bought it because the consultant did it at her house on this grill and it worked great. But that consultant will not reply to e-mails or phone calls.

Does anyone have advice I can give her?

Thanks (TIA)

That is strange. We actually had the opposite problem the first few we did...I think the instructions say indirect heat - which means the heat/flame is NOT on under the pizza. We used to have the top the done before the crust, so we started turning the heat on under the pizza very low during the last half of the cooking time. So, my first thought is that if her crust is being done first, maybe she has the heat ON under the pizza and it should NOT be. This is difficult if the burners run side-to-side and not front-to-back. Our burners run front-to-back so it is easy to only have the left side on and the pizza sits on the right side - where the burners are off.We have an infrared, too, and I am pretty sure we have done the pizza on this grill since we have gotten it. But, our grilled pizzas have always turned out beautiful!EDIT: I just looked at the instructions for Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza - which I think is the recipe that comes with it. It says "Prepare grill for indirect cooking over medium-high heat.". But when the instructions talk about putting the pizza on the grill, it does not explicitly say to put the pizza on the side where the burners are off.Here is what I found from about.com on indirect grilling:
"Indirect Grilling is more similar to baking than direct grilling. This method requires that the "fire" by built off to the side of where the cooking will take place. If you think of a typical gas grill, imagine having the burner(s) turned on, on only one half of the grill. This is the heated side. You then place the food you wish to grill indirectly on the unheated side and close the lid. Convection and radiant heat will then cook the food. Since the food is not being exposed to direct heat from the burners it will cook more evenly and be less likely to burn on the exposed side. Of course this also means that it will cook more slowly. "

Last edited:
We grill a lot of pizza and here's how we do it. We make the crust inside in the oven on a stone. Meanwhile, outside on the grill (favorite pan is the BBQ Roasting Pan) we cook the toppings- fresh spinach, tomato, olives, mushrooms, onion, artichokes, zucchini, etc. that was tossed in olive oil and Italian Seasoning. Brush the finished crust on both sides with olive oil, then grill topping side down until it's just warm enough to blend the toppings. Then put the toppings on, feta or other soft cheese, and put back on the grill long enough to warm and make the bottom crisp.

I make pizza on the grill a lot. Heat the grill on high with the lid closed for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to medium, I start with direct heat cooking one side of dough for about 3 minutes. I then remove the pan, flip the dough and put on the toppings. I turn off the middle burners to cook with indirect heat. If you only have two burners, turn off one and rotate the pan half way. Close the cover and cook til the cheese is melted. I also got a book which is wonderful - see if you can get it from your library first. "Pizza on the Grill" by Elizabeth Karmel & Bob Blumer. Pretty inexpensive to purchase.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 823
All great suggestions....but couldn't she just turn off the grill and leave the pizza in with the lid close to finish cooking without burning or overcooking the bottom?? Obviously, doing INDIRECT seems the most logical to me....just turn on one half of the grill or something.

sure you could do that Bobbi. If you are done cooking, but if you want to make another pizza then the indirect way is the best.

What is the best way to clean the Grill Pizza Pan?

The best way to clean the Grill Pizza Pan is to hand wash it with warm, soapy water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners as they can damage the non-stick coating. If there are stubborn stains, you can soak the pan in warm soapy water for a few minutes before gently scrubbing with a soft sponge or cloth. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft towel.

Can the Grill Pizza Pan be used on a gas grill?

Yes, the Grill Pizza Pan is designed to be used on a gas grill. It is made of durable materials that can withstand high heat and distribute it evenly for perfectly cooked pizzas. Just make sure to preheat the pan on the grill for a few minutes before adding your pizza.

What types of pizza can I make on the Grill Pizza Pan?

You can make a variety of pizzas on the Grill Pizza Pan, including traditional pizza with dough, frozen pizzas, and even grilled flatbread or naan pizzas. You can also get creative and try making calzones or dessert pizzas on the pan.

Do I need to preheat the Grill Pizza Pan before using it?

Yes, it is recommended to preheat the Grill Pizza Pan for about 10 minutes before adding your pizza. This helps ensure that the pan is evenly heated and helps prevent sticking. Preheating also helps create a crispy crust on your pizza.

Can the Grill Pizza Pan be used in the oven?

Yes, the Grill Pizza Pan can be used in the oven. It is oven-safe up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. However, it is important to note that the pan is designed for use on a gas grill, so the cooking time and results may vary when using it in the oven.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gailz2
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • JanisF
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • Intrepid_Chef