• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why is pre-heating both a grill pan and grill press causing warranty concerns?

Cross contamination can occur if you're not careful when handling the grill press and the pan. Cross contamination can occur if you're not careful when handling the grill press and the pan.
RMDave
Gold Member
In the infamous "Chicken Your Way" video users are told to pre-heat both items. We're shown the cast-iron Grill Press resting in the Grill Pan (with magical if not delicate non-stick coating) while it preheats.

Uh ... I already have two "guests" who have scratched the Grill Pan with the Press, thereby in theory voiding the warranty? The Solution Center agrees that the provided recipe goes against the product Care and Usage. Hmmmmm.

Additionally the Solution Center says NOT to pre-heat the Grill Press (which of course the recipe tells them to do).

I am awaiting a call-back (within two business days) from ??? (The Test Kitchen? Doris? Some poor schlep who was told "Go appease this nut-case"?)

Anybody had a similar issue/experience?

D

I have done it both ways to preheat the press and not preheat the press. Honestly, when preheating it (as I did last night) I was very careful with it because I did believe I might scratch the non stick surface. I don't see a real need to preheat the press because I'm using the pan surface for the actual cooking and the press for the weight

I guess I'm glad I didn't read those directions very carefully!
When the grill press was intrduced, they said not to preheat it - the weight pressed the items down and the grill stripes came from the pan, not the press.

I'm interested in what the Solution Center does for these customers! Let us know!

I was thinking about this as I used my Grill pan last night for the first time. I don't have the press yet, but was wondering how on earth I'm going to keep from scratching that pan!!

Dave, that was exactly what I thought when they first showed the CYW video. I mentioned it on here in a few threads. Mostly about the preheating the grill press. But now, as I look at my grill pan, I see some slight scratching that is occurring in the corners. It's too bad the grill press isn't rounded like the pan! Or the pan be slightly bigger to accommodate that grill press. I am worried about my scratched corners and I just hope they don't get worse. I was also thinking of contacting the HO about this. They are going to HAVE to accept returns on that pan if their own video and recipes shows it being used this way--no matter what the U&C cards says. As far as I'm concerned, the video and recipes have been developed and distributed AFTER the grill pan & press have been introduced and printed out and such. And it also has come AFTER their announcement of being stricter in regards to returns. I can't wait to hear what they say! :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't think I'll be pushing CYW now that the DCB is back...

I'm so glad that I read this!! I've got the grill pan ordered and was about to order the grill press but I think I'll hold off on the press. Hopefully they will get one that fits better or something since this definitely seems to be an issue.

NooraK said:
Honestly, I don't think I'll be pushing CYW now that the DCB is back...

I KNOW I won't! :D

But I had that same question when the CYW show was introduced. I emailed HO with my question, and never got a reply. However, in my email to HO, I referenced the use and care instructions in the PIG which say to not preheat the grill in the pan, and after that, I looked it up again and that sentence had been taken out of the PIG! (it even had a revision date down in the corner of 9/10)

So it seems to me that if it was scratched while being used in a manner promoted by PC, then it should be replaced. (I've been wrong before though.:rolleyes:)

winklermom said:
I'm so glad that I read this!! I've got the grill pan ordered and was about to order the grill press but I think I'll hold off on the press. Hopefully they will get one that fits better or something since this definitely seems to be an issue.

If you use the press only with meat under it, it shouldn't scratch the edge at all. There is at least a 1/2 inch clearance on all 3 sides...

minirottie said:
If you use the press only with meat under it, it shouldn't scratch the edge at all. There is at least a 1/2 inch clearance on all 3 sides...

True, but of course, that isn't what the directions to CYW say to do.

the reason i heard for preheating both together has to do with cross-contamination. say you don't preheat the grill press and put a piece of raw chicken in the pan with press on top. well when you go to flip it, the raw chicken juice will get on the cooked side, thereby contaminating it. however if you preheat together, the grill press will sear the top and keep the juices in.

i don't have my pan & press yet....but this is what i heard at a meeting.

Mr. FedEx just delivered my PC package which included my grill pan. IT'S HUGE!!! I hadn't actually seen one before but it's much larger than what I had envisioned. I'm so glad! WooHoo!! Now to break it in...

OK ... telephone call #1 from the Test Kitchen:"You need to apply the Grill Press very gently to the Grill Pan.""Really? Where does it say that?""Well we're in the process of changing the Use and Care instructions.""I see. So in the intrim the recipe tells people to violate the current Use and Care instructions. Will PC honor warranty complains about scratches?"You need to apply the Grill Press very gently to the Grill Pan.""Really? Where does it say that?""Why don't I have one of the product managers call you tomorrow."End of telephone call.

Whoaa... Someones trying to cover their mistakes...

ShelbyMichalek said:
Whoaa... Someones trying to cover their mistakes...

Gracie, Ya think?

LOL.. You tell 'em Dave!

RMDave said:
True, but of course, that isn't what the directions to CYW say to do.

I'm glad I don't follow directions well!! ;)

Curious what the next call from the Product Manager will be!!

I am SO bad. I have even made that grill press go into the 12" executive skillet.

Well, this isn't going to turn me off from doing CYW shows. My last one was a big hit.
Easy, quick & fun.

ShellBeach said:
I am SO bad. I have even made that grill press go into the 12" executive skillet.

Well, this isn't going to turn me off from doing CYW shows. My last one was a big hit.
Easy, quick & fun.

Nothing is meant to turn anybody off from doing CYW shows. However, this can definitely become a warranty issue since the use of the two items together go against the currently printed and stated product Care and Use instructions.

You just know that there will be hundreds/thousands of people who scratch their Grill Pan and (quite possibly) will get a round around when they try to have it replaced under the Life-Time Warranty.

I've been wondering about this. Please keep us updated!!!!

1. What is the purpose of a grill pan and grill press?

A grill pan and grill press are used for indoor grilling. The pan features ridges that mimic the grates of an outdoor grill, allowing for the same grill marks and charred flavor on your food. The press helps to evenly distribute heat and press food down to create a crispy exterior.

2. Can I use the grill pan and press on any stovetop?

Yes, our grill pan and press are compatible with all stovetops, including gas, electric, and induction. Just make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for your specific stovetop.

3. How do I clean the grill pan and press?

Both the grill pan and press are dishwasher safe, making cleaning a breeze. You can also hand wash them with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Avoid using metal utensils or harsh cleaners, as they can damage the non-stick coating.

4. Can I use the grill press without the grill pan?

Yes, the grill press can be used on its own to press sandwiches, burgers, and other foods on a regular stovetop pan. However, for optimal results and to create those signature grill marks, we recommend using the grill pan as well.

5. Is the grill pan and press safe to use with high heat?

Yes, both the grill pan and press are heat-resistant up to 450°F, making them safe to use on high heat settings. Just be sure to use oven mitts or a towel to handle them when they are hot.

Back