• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grill Pan vs. 12" Skillet: Which Cooks Chicken Better?

In summary, the Grill Pan makes chicken taste different than when it is cooked in a skillet, and it's a better option if a customer has to choose between one or the other.
meganmcg
I know there have been lots of discussions regarding Grill Pan/12" Skillet - I just read thru most of them.

I don't own a grill pan - yet. Thinking about it. But I LOVE my 12" skillet and that is where I cook my chicken. Does the Grill Pan make chicken any better than the skillet? And how do you describe the differences between these 2 items to your customers? Can you really convince them they need both? Because if the only difference is that the grill pan makes better quisedillas or grilled cheese, the skillet does those just fine as well - you just don't get the pretty marks. Someone please convince me because I want to have love for the grill pan too :)

I held off for a long time in getting the grill pan, and then the press. But I have to say, it's very well worth it. Make sure you get the press while it's this set this time. You'll love it as you use it. When I cook chicken in the grill pan, it's better because it keeps it up out of the juices and it does taste different than when it's done in the skillet. It won't get that smoky flavor like you can get w/ an outdoor grill, but I really like it.

The grill pan & press makes great panini sammies, too!

If a customer has to choose between one or the other, though - I'd advise the skillet every time. And tell them to buy the lid at the same time. The skillet with lid is much more versatile.

Thanks for your input ladies! I agree that if it's one or the other they would probably be more satisfied with the skillet.

Oh my gosh. I just saw that bit about grill pan paninis. I'm now drooling just thinking about a nutella panini!! ;)

LOL. You can make it in the skillet, but is IS prettier with the grill marks!
And, no need to buy one of those electric panini makers which have only one function.

Hello! As a pampered chef consultant, I can definitely understand your dilemma about whether to invest in a grill pan or stick with your trusty 12" skillet for cooking chicken. I've had many customers ask me the same question, and here's what I usually tell them:Firstly, the main difference between a grill pan and a skillet is the surface. A grill pan has raised ridges, which create those beautiful grill marks on your chicken. These ridges also allow excess fat and juices to drain away from the food, resulting in a healthier dish. On the other hand, a skillet has a smooth surface, making it great for sautéing, frying, and making sauces. So, if you're looking to add a little more flavor and texture to your chicken, a grill pan might be a good investment.Secondly, a grill pan can also be used for other dishes besides chicken, such as vegetables, seafood, and even fruits. It's a versatile tool that can add a unique touch to any dish. Plus, it's great for indoor grilling during colder months or when you don't have access to an outdoor grill.Lastly, while a skillet can certainly do the job of cooking chicken, a grill pan can offer a different cooking experience. The raised ridges help to create a crispy exterior while keeping the inside juicy and tender. It's a small but noticeable difference that can make your chicken stand out.Of course, it ultimately comes down to personal preference and what works best for you and your cooking style. But as a pampered chef consultant, I always recommend having both a grill pan and a skillet in your kitchen. They serve different purposes and can both elevate your cooking game in their own ways.I hope this helps to convince you to give the grill pan a try. Trust me, once you start using it, you'll see the difference it can make in your dishes. Happy cooking!

1. What are the main differences between a grill pan and a 12" skillet?

The main difference between a grill pan and a 12" skillet is the cooking surface. A grill pan has raised ridges, mimicking the look of a traditional outdoor grill, while a skillet has a smooth, flat surface. This difference affects how the food is cooked and the resulting flavor and texture.

2. Which one is better for cooking chicken?

Both a grill pan and a 12" skillet can cook chicken well, but it ultimately depends on personal preference. A grill pan is great for creating those classic grill marks and adding a smoky flavor, while a skillet is better for cooking larger pieces of chicken or dishes that require a sauce or liquid to cook in.

3. Does one cook chicken faster than the other?

The cooking time for chicken will be similar in both a grill pan and a 12" skillet. However, a grill pan may cook the chicken slightly faster due to the raised ridges allowing for more direct heat contact with the food.

4. Can I use a grill pan on the stovetop?

Yes, a grill pan is designed to be used on the stovetop, making it a convenient option for cooking chicken indoors. Just be sure to use a medium to high heat and to preheat the pan before adding the chicken.

5. Do I need to use oil when cooking chicken in a grill pan or skillet?

It is recommended to use a small amount of oil when cooking chicken in a grill pan or skillet. This will help prevent sticking and give the chicken a nice crust. You can also use cooking spray if preferred.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JanisF
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • esavvymom