• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grill Master's Guide: What to Season Steaks With?

In summary, McCormick makes a Garlic & Sea Salt grinder that my family LOVES, especially on steak. McCormick also makes a "steak dust" that some people believe gives steak that "steakhouse" flavor. Seasoning with crushed peppercorn and garlic rub is a MUST.
AJPratt
Silver Member
We are grilling steaks tonight and wanted to try something different. Usually we use Season-all. What do you usually use to season your steaks?

Crushed Peppercorn and Garlic rub, of course! ;)

McCormick makes a Garlic & Sea Salt grinder that my family LOVES, especially on steak. That with a little bit of pepper is about all we use anymore.

I found an all-purpose seasoning called "complete seasoning" in the Mexican foods aisle at the store, and it is a blend of spices like garlic, onion, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, and some other stuff. It also has a little msg in it. We use it for everything and it tastes great. You can sprinkle it dry or I mix it with a little oil and vinegar or wine to make a wet marinade.I also just bought a bottle of "steak dust" at Sam's Club last week. Haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if that is how restaurants give steak that "steakhouse" flavor...

DebbieJ said:
Crushed Peppercorn and Garlic rub, of course! ;)

I have to agree with Deb on this one..

I am disappointed that they got rid of the Bell Pepper and Herb run..but..this one is definately a second to that.

I use Montreal Steak Seasoning or Paula Deen's House Seasoning

Crushed Peppercorn and Garlic rub is a MUST!!

Use our coarse sea salt. Salt the meat on both sides and let it sit on the counter until it is room temperature -- you will see moisture bubbles on the meat from the salt. The meat will be very tender.

I've always heard not to salt steak before cooking because it will draw all the moisture out of the meat and make for a dry end result... anyone else have success with salt before grilling?

I just saw that addressed on Good Eats, Joy. It's a bit of a myth that salting meat before grilling will dry it out. You do want to season it, because you'll get better flavor than seasoning it on the plate. And it will pull some moisture out, but not all, and certainly not enough to dry out the meat. It's more important to have the meat at room temp before cooking it so that the outer "layers" aren't overcooked before the middle gets hot. So take it out of the fridge at least half an hour before cooking.

1. What is the best seasoning for steaks?

The best seasoning for steaks is a matter of personal preference. Some popular options include a simple blend of salt and pepper, a flavorful steak rub, or a marinade with herbs and spices. Ultimately, the best seasoning is one that enhances the natural flavors of the steak and suits your taste buds.

2. How do I season steaks for grilling?

To season steaks for grilling, pat them dry with a paper towel and then sprinkle your chosen seasoning evenly over both sides of the steak. Let the steaks sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to allow the seasoning to penetrate the meat. Then, cook the steaks on a preheated grill to your desired level of doneness.

3. Can I use the same seasoning for different types of steaks?

Yes, you can use the same seasoning for different types of steaks. However, keep in mind that the flavors may vary depending on the cut of steak. For example, a more tender cut like filet mignon may not need as much seasoning as a tougher cut like flank steak.

4. How much seasoning should I use for one steak?

The amount of seasoning to use for one steak depends on personal preference and the size of the steak. As a general rule, use about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of seasoning per pound of meat. You can always add more seasoning if needed after tasting the cooked steak.

5. Can I season steaks in advance?

Yes, you can season steaks in advance. This is especially helpful for tougher cuts of meat as it gives the seasoning more time to penetrate and tenderize the meat. However, do not season the steaks more than 24 hours in advance, as the salt in the seasoning may draw out too much moisture from the meat and make it dry.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JanisF
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • pamperedbybarbara
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pampered_rae