• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is a Yahoo! Slurp Spider and how does it affect my online presence?

In summary, "Greg - Yahoo! Slurp Spider" is a web crawler or bot created by Yahoo! to index and gather data from websites for their search engine. It is commonly known as a search engine spider or web crawler. This bot crawls websites to gather information for Yahoo!'s search engine and is not harmful to websites. It can be blocked using a robots.txt file, but this may also prevent the website from being indexed on Yahoo!. The frequency of crawling varies but typically occurs at least once every few weeks.
dianevill
Gold Member
Greg, what is a Yahoo! Slurp Spider? I see a lot of "spiders" when I check "who's online".

Thanks!
Diane

My guess as to what those are is when someone does a Google search or Yahoo search and chefsuccess.com comes up as a search result and someone clicks on it, it takes them directly here. That's my guess what a spider is. I also wonder if Greg and Deb do any advertising of this site on the internet?? Do you guys? Maybe that's why there's been such an increase today. Who knows!?:D

I looked it up. Here's the link that kind of explains what it is if you understand it. I get about half of it. Looks like it's a robot that goes out and collects info from websites to index them for search engines. http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/slurp/slurp-01.html

1. Who is "Greg - Yahoo! Slurp Spider"?

"Greg - Yahoo! Slurp Spider" is a web crawler or bot created by Yahoo! to index and gather data from websites for their search engine. It is commonly known as a search engine spider or web crawler.

2. Why is "Greg - Yahoo! Slurp Spider" crawling my website?

As a web crawler, "Greg - Yahoo! Slurp Spider" is constantly scanning and indexing websites to gather information for Yahoo!'s search engine. If your website is publicly accessible, it is likely that this bot will crawl it at some point.

3. Is "Greg - Yahoo! Slurp Spider" harmful to my website?

No, "Greg - Yahoo! Slurp Spider" is not harmful to your website. It is a legitimate bot used by Yahoo! for indexing purposes. However, if you notice any unusual activity or excessive crawling from this bot, it is best to check your website for any issues.

4. Can I block "Greg - Yahoo! Slurp Spider" from crawling my website?

Yes, you can block "Greg - Yahoo! Slurp Spider" from crawling your website by using a robots.txt file. This file tells web crawlers which pages or directories they are not allowed to access. However, keep in mind that blocking this bot may also prevent your website from being indexed on Yahoo!'s search engine.

5. How often does "Greg - Yahoo! Slurp Spider" crawl my website?

The frequency of "Greg - Yahoo! Slurp Spider" crawling your website can vary. It depends on the size and popularity of your website, as well as how often your content is updated. Generally, this bot will crawl your website at least once every few weeks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• rennea
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • nikked
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies