• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Creating the Perfect Green Trifle for St. Patrick's Day!

This sounds good, but I think I would want something a little more chocolatey with the mint. Maybe something with chocolate ganache or chocolate chips in the pound cake.
leftymac
I'm attending a St. Patrick's day party this weekend and my friend who is trifle-obsessed has requested a green trifle. Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe something with thin mint cookies and/or brownies and I could dye the filling green with food coloring, but that seems kinda lame. Any other ideas out there? It's 7:14 a.m. and even though I am at work I am not awake enough to be thinking too much yet.

Merci en avance!
Keith

That sounds good. Or you can do something with pistachio pudding.

Something minty sounds good. Brownies for a base. Maybe crush some thin mints and mix with green colored vanilla pudding, then use whole ones that stick up along the side of the bowl in a layer of plain cool whip (use them with the light colored layer so people can see it from the outside). Then stick whole ones or half ones into the top layer so they poke out.Another idea:Have you ever had dirt cake? There's a few different versions of it, but I just love the recipe I use. It's a layered dessert, so it could be nice in the trifle bowl. The only things to do differently is use green food coloring on the filling. I'll go get the recipe and post it after I get the kids off to school.

Chocolate Mint sounds wonderful. You could mix a bit of peppermint oil with vanilla pudding and whipped topping. Tint it green and layer it with cubed brownies. Sprinkle mint chocolate chips on top. Voila! A treat fit for a leprechaun.

Got this recipe in one of my "Taste of Home" e-mails this week and thought it sounded good. (Not really green, except for garnish with spearmints and mint leaves) but definitely Irish! :) Irish Creme Chocolate Trifle
From Quick Cooking
"I created this yummy trifle when I was given a bottle of Irish Cream liqueur as a gift and had leftover peppermint candy," relates Margaret Wilson of Hemet, California. "I’ve served it with both liqueur and coffee creamer and candy canes, too. It’s always rich and decadent."
SERVINGS
14-16
CATEGORY
Dessert
METHOD
Baked
PREP
20 min.
COOK
30 min.
TOTAL
50 min.
INGREDIENTS
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) devil's food cake mix
1 cup refrigerated Irish creme nondairy creamer
3-1/2 cups cold milk
2 packages (3.9 ounces each) instant chocolate pudding mix
3 cups whipped topping
12 spearmint candies, crushedDIRECTIONS
Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
With a meat fork or wooden skewer, poke holes in cake about 2 in. apart. Slowly pour creamer over cake; refrigerate for 1 hour.
In a large bowl, whisk the milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
Cut cake into 1-1/2-in. cubes; place a third of the cubes in a 3-qt. glass bowl. Top with a third of the pudding, whipped topping and candies; repeat layers twice. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14-16 servings.

I think these sound great! I would definately go with the mint/green pudding idea.

If you wanted to go overboard on the green you could use pound cake with green food colouring in it (betty brocker has a mix, you can bake it in the large bar pan). If you still wanted to have some chocolate to go with the mint (and why would you not?!) you could do a ganache layer and/or put chocolate chips in the pound cake.

I guess it depends on how you like your cake layer. I like the brownies in the tiramisu trfle, but they are drier/heavier than using pound cake.

Have fun, and let us know how you make it!

oops, posting at the same time...

Argh, hit send accidently! I was going to say that I LOVE bailey's, but I'm not sure how it would taste with mint?

I think it would be pretty good. The mint candies are the only mint (no extract or anything). It reminds me of "better than sex cake" where you pour the ice-cream topping into the cake. MMMMMMMMMMMM.

Here's the dirt cake recipe:1 pkg Oreo cookies (1 1/3 lb.)
1/2 stick butter or margarine
8 oz pkg. cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
12 oz Cool Whip
3 1/2 cups milk
1 small pkg. French vanilla instant puddingCrush cookies and set aside. Cream together the butter, cream cheese, & powdered sugar. Mix together milk, pudding, and whipped topping. Blend together creamed mixture and pudding mixture. Layer crushed cookies, then pudding mixture, repeat layers making sure final layer is the crushed cookies. Refrigerate overnight.(If presenting as "Dirt Cake", Place the cool whip lid in the bottom of an 8 in. flowerpot to prevent leaks. Then create the layers. Top with gummy worms, fake flowers, a new garden trowel, etc.)

What ingredients do I need to make a green trifle for St. Patrick's Day?

To create the perfect green trifle for St. Patrick's Day, you will need:

• 1 package of green gelatin mix
  • 1 package of vanilla pudding mix
  • Green food coloring
  • 1 loaf of pound cake, cut into cubes
  • 1 cup of sliced kiwi
  • 1 cup of sliced green grapes
  • 1 cup of whipped cream
  • Green sprinkles for decoration (optional)

Can I substitute any of the ingredients in the recipe?

Yes, you can make substitutions to suit your preferences or dietary needs. For example, you can use sugar-free gelatin or pudding mix, or substitute the pound cake with angel food cake. You can also use different types of fruit such as sliced strawberries or blueberries.

Do I need any special equipment to make this green trifle?

No, you do not need any special equipment. However, a trifle dish or a clear glass bowl will make for a beautiful presentation. You can also use individual glasses or mason jars for individual servings.

How far in advance can I make the trifle?

You can make the green trifle a day in advance and store it in the refrigerator. However, for best results, we recommend assembling the trifle no more than 4-6 hours before serving so that the cake doesn't become too soggy.

Can I make the trifle ahead of time and freeze it?

We do not recommend freezing the trifle as the texture of the cake and fruit may change after thawing. It is best to assemble and serve the trifle fresh for optimal taste and texture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Malinda Klein
Replies
Views
Shannen
  • PamperedMandy2010
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
PamperedMandy2010