• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Recipes for Using Green Tomatoes - Share Your Favorites with Us!

In summary, popular recipes for using green tomatoes include fried green tomatoes, green tomato salsa, green tomato chutney, and green tomato pie. Green tomatoes can be substituted for ripe tomatoes in many recipes, but may result in a slightly different flavor and texture. To determine if a green tomato is ripe enough for cooking, look for a fully grown and firm tomato with a slight yellow or pink blush. In addition to their tasty uses, green tomatoes also offer health benefits such as vitamins A and C, antioxidants, and low calorie and high water content. And if you have excess green tomatoes, they can be frozen for up to 6 months for later use.
raebates
Staff member
Hi have a friend/customer who is looking for recipes that use green tomatoes. She has oodles and oodles. Anyone have some favorites to share?

TIA!

Not a recipe, but a tip!

Take the green tomatoes, and wrap them individually in newspaper. Put them in a box, in one layer, and cover that layer with one more sheet of newspaper.

They will ripen that way - I had garden tomatoes until Christmas last year when I did this! Just check them every week or so to find the ripe ones!

Good tip, but she told me she's already done 2 good-sized boxes like that.

ChefBeckyD said:
Not a recipe, but a tip!

Take the green tomatoes, and wrap them individually in newspaper. Put them in a box, in one layer, and cover that layer with one more sheet of newspaper.

They will ripen that way - I had garden tomatoes until Christmas last year when I did this! Just check them every week or so to find the ripe ones!

Good to know!! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow then!

My mom has an AWESOME recipe for Green Tomato Bread- very similar to zuchinni bread. It's so delish! I'll see if I can get a copy and post it.

What are some popular recipes for using green tomatoes?

Some popular recipes for using green tomatoes include fried green tomatoes, green tomato salsa, green tomato chutney, and green tomato pie.

Can green tomatoes be substituted for ripe tomatoes in recipes?

Yes, green tomatoes can be substituted for ripe tomatoes in many recipes. However, keep in mind that green tomatoes have a slightly different flavor and texture than ripe tomatoes, so the end result may be slightly different.

How can I tell if a green tomato is ripe enough to use in a recipe?

Green tomatoes are ripe and suitable for cooking when they are fully grown, firm, and have a slight yellow or pink blush on them. Avoid using green tomatoes that are still small and hard.

Are there any health benefits to eating green tomatoes?

Green tomatoes are a good source of vitamins A and C, as well as antioxidants. They are also low in calories and have a high water content, making them a healthy addition to any meal.

Can I freeze green tomatoes for later use?

Yes, you can freeze green tomatoes for later use. Simply wash and dry the tomatoes, then slice or chop them and place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. They will keep for up to 6 months in the freezer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ShellBeach
Replies
Views
chefann
  • tabbycat52
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
mmoran4pc