• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

The Benefits of Salt: Differences between Kosher, Sea, and Table Salt

In summary, salt is necessary for good health and can be used to enhance flavor, preserve food, and improve the texture of bread and cured meat.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
Sent to me by my upline - sources quoted on bottom - good information:

SALT

We desire salt for good reasons. Salt stimulates the gastric juices, and it’s necessary to digest fats. Unrefined salt contains the electrolytes sodium, potassium, and chloride, which are essential for every cell function, including blood pressure, nerve signals, and muscle action. We use salt to enhance flavor, even making sweet things sweeter. Salt is a preservative, aids in fermentation, and improves the texture of bread and cured meat.*

The difference between kosher salt, sea salt, and table salt?

For the cook's purposes, the main difference between salts is in their texture. Table salt's fine granules dissolve quickly, making it the preferred salt of bakers. Sea salt and kosher salt possess larger, irregular grains that add a delightful crunch and hint of briny flavor when sprinkled on food at the last minute. Generally, savvy cooks prefer kosher salt when cooking, since its coarse texture is easier to take a pinch of when seasoning savory dishes.**

But there are significant differences in the processing of these salts.

Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits, and includes a small portion of calcium silicate, an anti-caking agent added to prevent clumping. It possesses very fine crystals and a sharp taste. Because of its fine grain a single teaspoon of table salt contains more salt than a tablespoon of kosher or sea salt. Due to the chemical process and bleaching, table salt is stripped of its valuable trace elements and minerals, leaving us with 100% sodium chloride. Consuming pure sodium chloride strains the body, upsetting fluid balance and dehydrating cells.*

Unrefined sea salt is harvested from evaporated seawater and receives little or no processing, leaving in tact the minerals and trace elements from the water it came from. It is 82-84% sodium chloride, and the rest is the good stuff for you: calcium, magnesium (about 14%), and more than 80 trace elements including iodine, potassium, and selenium. These nutrients have vital functions, among them maintaining a healthy fluid balance and replenishing electrolytes lost in sweat.*

These minerals also color the salt slightly and give it a nice briny flavor.

Kosher salt takes its name from its use in the koshering process. It contains no preservatives and can be derived from either seawater or underground sources. Aside from being a great salt to keep within arm's reach when you are cooking, it is particularly useful in preserving, because its large crystals draw moisture out of meats and other foods more effectively than other salts.**

*Real Food by Nina Planck

**Food Network Kitchens

Very cool, Janet! Thanks for posting!

There is an entire book written about salt, called, of course, Salt, A World History. It's by Mark Kurlansky and is about the history and significance of salt. If you're a history geek like me you'll find it entertaining and informative.

I think it's be interesting, but I don't have time to read an entire book on salt. :(
Seriously, as a child I often wondered what type of salt Lot's wife turned into! I even think my daughter has asked me that!

susanr613 said:
Very cool, Janet! Thanks for posting!

There is an entire book written about salt, called, of course, Salt, A World History. It's by Mark Kurlansky and is about the history and significance of salt. If you're a history geek like me you'll find it entertaining and informative.

Okay - that's just the kind of nerd thing I love!

I'm not a computer nerd, I'm a book nerd!:p

Funny. I have a book What's for Dinner. It takes you through an entire simple meal and gives you the history of that food. I've read it several times over the years. As a matter of fact, it's been a while. I might need to read it again.My name is Rae, and I'm a food nerd. :)

raebates said:
Funny. I have a book What's for Dinner. It takes you through an entire simple meal and gives you the history of that food. I've read it several times over the years. As a matter of fact, it's been a while. I might need to read it again.

My name is Rae, and I'm a food nerd. :)

(entire group chimes in:) ) "HI RAE" I'm Kacey- I'm a Kitchen Diva and I've been a Food Nerd going on 3 years now- I'm on step 4 of the how to survive being a Food Nerd Program... it's tough...sniff...

when I was little, I used to think that the ocean was salted from a large ship carrying a large box of Morton's.................don't ask what I thought of how music came out of a radio!

You guys are too funny!! Thank you for posting Janet I will discuss this at my next meeting.

I posted on another thread that some of the sea salt ground on top of our basil blend canola oil make a great bread dip!

What are the health benefits of using sea salt?

Sea salt contains essential minerals like magnesium, potassium, and calcium, which can help maintain a healthy electrolyte balance and regulate blood pressure. It also has a lower sodium content compared to table salt, making it a healthier option for those watching their salt intake.

Is Himalayan pink salt better than regular salt?

Himalayan pink salt is often touted for its high mineral content and unique flavor. However, there is no significant difference in terms of health benefits compared to regular salt. It is mostly a matter of personal preference and taste.

Can I use kosher salt instead of table salt in my recipes?

Yes, kosher salt can be used as a substitute for table salt in cooking and baking. However, it is less dense than table salt, so you may need to use more to achieve the same level of saltiness.

What is the difference between sea salt and table salt?

Sea salt is produced by evaporating seawater, while table salt is mined from salt deposits. Sea salt also tends to have a coarser texture and may contain trace minerals, whereas table salt is more finely ground and often has additives to prevent clumping.

How should I store my salt?

Salt should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing it near sources of heat or moisture, as this can cause the salt to clump or degrade in quality. It is also important to keep salt away from strong odors, as it can absorb them and affect the taste of your food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
pamperedchefjunkie
Back