• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Grating Cheese the Secret to a Healthier Diet?

how I first got into cheese grating and how I started making my own cheese. I go over the different types of cheese that I grate and tell the story of how I first met a man who made cheese in Wisconsin. I then talk about how I've found that grating cheese is a great way to reduce my calorie intake. I show the audience how grating cheese reduces the amount of food that they eat by 50%. I also show how grating cheese can be a healthier alternative to pre-packaged shredded cheese. I talk about how grating cheese can be a great way to add more nutrients to your diet. I also show the audience how they can make their own grated cheese at home.
lisacb77
Hey all, read in my newsletter from 24 Hr Fitness today that grating cheese reduces the amount you eat.

They also point out that hard cheeses, like parmesan, are healthier than soft.

First thing I thought was, boy that would help sell some graters!!!

lisacb77 said:
Hey all, read in my newsletter from 24 Hr Fitness today that grating cheese reduces the amount you eat.

They also point out that hard cheeses, like parmesan, are healthier than soft.

First thing I thought was, boy that would help sell some graters!!!
Right! Plus, you don't get the cellulose/wood pulp that they have to put in the pre-shredded cheese to make sure it doesn't stick together. That's what I always point out in my shows. AND it's cheaper to buy the blocks of cheese anywa.

That's a great point though!

cellulose and wood pulp.. i would have never imagine is anyone else saying ewww? i'll have to bring that up at my first cooking show thanks for the cheese tips ~tiffanyp

???What on earth is wood pulp??? I have never heard of it.:confused:

If you look on a shredded cheese ingredient list, it'll list cellulose is in there to prevent caking of the cheese. Just for the heck of it, I googled "cellulose" to see what else it says and here's the link to what I found. Just FYI!

http://www.omri.org/cellulose_final.pdf#search=%22%22wood%20pulp%22%20in%20shredded%20cheese%22

I try not to gross out people too much at my shows, but I sometimes mention this because it's another reason to buy block cheese.

You may need to cut and paste the link into your browser.

I always say block cheese has less preservatives too...

Geat TIPS! Thanks Y'all!

I have never in my life used so much fresh grated cheese as I have with PC and let me tell you, EVERYTHING tastes better. Maybe because of less chemicals?

The cows and lumberjacks of Wisconsin all thank you.

We're still America's Dairyland (California may produce more milk but we still make the most cheese - hard and soft.

We also make a lot of wood pulp but most of it gets made into paper, especially soft, squeezable specialty papers that come rolled up on little tubes. (Think about THAT next time you buy grated cheese!)

TIP: If you microwave medium-soft cheese, like Colby, for about 10 seconds before you grate it, you'll have better success with our grater. I'm not sure why, but I'm told it has something to do with heating the oil in the cheese. All I know is, it makes a difference.

Oh, one more thing, don't press so hard on it.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The cows and lumberjacks of Wisconsin all thank you.

We're still America's Dairyland (California may produce more milk but we still make the most cheese - hard and soft.

We also make a lot of wood pulp but most of it gets made into paper, especially soft, squeezable specialty papers that come rolled up on little tubes. (Think about THAT next time you buy grated cheese!)

TIP: If you microwave medium-soft cheese, like Colby, for about 10 seconds before you grate it, you'll have better success with our grater. I'm not sure why, but I'm told it has something to do with heating the oil in the cheese. All I know is, it makes a difference.

KG, you guys DO have the best cheese up there; no matter what those California commercials say! My hubby & I were there 2 yrs ago for a Packers game & brought home a bunch of cheese:)
I second the microwaving tip--makes working with the grater soooo much easier. Loosens the oils in the cheese & it just slides out the grater.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

On the grater or the cheese?

I always tell my guests that buying the packaged shredded cheese is a great way to get your fiber, that is if you like wood for your fiber!

AJPratt said:
On the grater or the cheese?

I'm guessing the grater. It used to be suggested to freeze your cheese; but you had to squeeze the handle of the grater too hard!

I think some cheeses work better in the grater if you freeze them for about 20 minutes and some work better if micro'd to release the oils.

Here is the cheese story. I copied this from another thread here.

PamperedGinger said:
You also need to tell them the cheese story to go with the cheese grater. I'm sure most everyone knows this, but I'll do it just in case. This is my story during the show (true facts).

I first start by showing the cheese grater and how it works for left and right handed people. I talk about how 2 of my kids are lefty and it is nice that they can easily switch it around to grate cheese. I also talk about how you can grate other things like carrots for salad, chocolate (right into your mouth if you are having a bad day), nuts, etc.

All of you know that cheese clumps when you grate it. I have a trick to eliminate this problem....microwave the cheese for 10 seconds BEFORE you grate it.

Now I've just told you that cheese clumps, but do you know why your pregrated cheese does NOT clump in the bag? It has an extra ingredient. Do you know what it is? Cellulose...no not the stuff on the back of your thighs. (Take some guesses) It is sawdust. So as you are dumping out the last little bit of cheese from the bag, you are probably dumping out the cellulose.

Also...do you know where the grated cheese comes from? Well when block cheese goes back at the store, you assume they throw it away. No...they send it back to the manufacturer to get a store credit. Now you would assume that the manufacturer would throw it away. NO....they cut off the bad part and grate it up for grated cheese. Now I don't have a problem with ME doing that at home, but I happen to think that when I buy it at the store it should be FRESH! That is one reason your grated cheese goes bad so quickly once it is opened.

It is cheaper to buy block cheese and fresher. It is easy to grate if you just microwave it for 10 seconds before you grate it. If you want to grate it ahead of time and freeze it, you can.

This is a product you MUST have in your kitchen. You will find it on the first column of your shopping guide under the Cutting Edge section. You'll also want to get the Grate Container so you can measure out exact amounts and store extra cheese in your fridge. You'll find it right under the Cheese Grater and it is only $4.25.

ok..eew I buy grated cheese ALL the time but had no idea. Bleh! I'm so glad I have a grater! Great tips!

By the way, cellulose is simply plant matter. When you're eating lettuce of any kind, you're also eating cellulose, chemically speaking anyway. Cellulose is what makes up the structures of plant cells. Without it, there would be no plant.

Still, I prefer the taste and texture of fresh-grated cheese. :)

When you shred cheese by hand it doesn't last very long shredded, so I don't see why pre shredded cheese should be different. I don't buy shredded cheese anyway (WIC doesn't cover it! LOL!) but I just don't see how it could be all that bad.

It bothers me that they are using expired and moldy cheese to make the pregrated cheese you buy in the stores. The cellulose is what keeps it from olding further saw dust or plant parts it's not food.

It is one thing for me to do that in my own home but to buy it from a company that way they might as well throw in some ecoli while they are at it.

OMGosh, after I read this I ran into the kitchen took out my mexican shredded cheese and protested to my hubby about it! YUCK! I through it in the garbage! How can FDA even allow such a thing!

MMM...wood pulp lol I can't wait to get my kit....With the cheese grater that I won't hit my knuckles on...What I can't believe is that they do that to the grated cheese - and THEN they charge you MORE for it!!!!! How do they get away with that?!

Its ignorance. Because people don't know what they are eating.

At one of my first shows (what am I saying, I'm still doing my first shows) I had someone ask me why we don't want to eat cellulose. I wasn't sure what to tell them. Thanks guys for this Thread.

I told the guests at my last show about this... one lady laughed and said she needed more fiber in her diet anyway and so she found the info encouraging!!!! She kind of stopped that line of discussion! I figure all we can do is educate right?? What they do with the information is up to them!

I mentioned it at a recent show and someone (very scientific) went on and on about how its not bad for you and blah, blah, blah... And I just replied, "Well, thank you for that, but the less chemicals in my food the better." Sometimes people are just so rude and they don't even know it.

Speaking of cheeseIs is true that if it's wrapped in foil it last's longer?

I had a girl scoff at me when I told her that I've been told this. She said it makes no difference. Anyone know for sure??

It has worked for me! I buy the big half loaf of Tillamook cheddar and it lasts much longer now than when I used to store it in a Ziploc!

sivlepa said:
Is is true that if it's wrapped in foil it last's longer?

I had a girl scoff at me when I told her that I've been told this. She said it makes no difference. Anyone know for sure??
We are actually one of the few, if not the only, country that stores cheese in plastic.

I have a FoodSaver vac sealer. LOVE IT!! It's fantastic for keeping cheese for long periods. There's a piece of pepper jack in my fridge right now that's still good (sealed with the FoodSaver), and has a "sell by" date of Aug 8 2006.

I love the press and seal!!
of course at our house it goes so quickly it never has time to mold. we eat eat cheese on everything.
Teresa

sivlepa said:
Is is true that if it's wrapped in foil it last's longer?

I have information from two different well-respected cooking magazines that you should never store cheese in plastic. We are the only country that does this. The plastic traps moisture. (The Seal a Meal may be a bit different because it seals the package similarly to the way they package it in the processing plant.) According to my sources, the best way to keep cheese once it's opened is as follows:

NEVER touch it with your hands. The oils in your hands carry bacteria that accelerates the mold process.

Wrap your cheese in parchment paper or, second-best, in wax paper. Then wrap it in foil. This keeps the cheese dry enough to discourage mold, but offers enough protection to keep the cheese from drying out. (Do your best not to touch the parts of the parchment that will touch the cheese. Seriously, your hands, no matter how clean, can encourage mold.)

I use this method for parmesan at my house. It works well. Honestly, cheddar and mozzarella don't last long enough to develop mold, so it just gets wrapped in plastic. (Of course, that's assuming that there's any cheese left. No joke. My family LOVES cheese.)

Last edited:
Rae, now that you mention it, I did see this tip on Good Eats. Alton Brown's description was something like: Remember that cheese is alive, and treat it as such.

Ann, love that line from Alton Brown. I just may have to use it.

raebates said:
Ann, love that line from Alton Brown. I just may have to use it.

I love LOVE LOVE Good Eats. It's what I would love my shows to be like - fun and informative. And full of unexpected little tidbits. :)

my husband thinks I am crazy when I tell him to wrap the cheese in tinfoil But then again I am buying the big loagf of cheese every 2 weeks my family is definitly a cheese family.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Lisa/ChefBear
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
smilesarepriceless
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • esavvymom