• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grating Carrots with the UM: A Detailed Guide

In summary, the grater used was the Microplae Adjustable Grater and it was the easiest way to grate carrots.
straitfan
Gold Member
Can someone please share their "technique" for grating carrots using the UM? I managed to get them grated for the carrot cake cups yesterday, but I'm sure that no one would want to purchase the mandoline because of my flawless technique! Do you "stand them up" and poke them with the tines of the holder, or lay them down sideways? I kept having big chunks of ungrated carrot slip out of the food holder. I was using whole large carrots, which I peeled and then cut into about 4" pieces. DETAILED instructions would be appreciated! Thanks!

I might be naughty, but I don't use the food holder when grating things. :D

Yours is an excellent question. I was wondering how to do the same thing. I have to admit that I still use the old four sided grater that my Mom gave me fifty years ago.
I also use my food processor for quantities of shredded carrots when I make her carrot and raisin salad, and for a pineapple-carrot jello salad.

I actually used the rotary grater for carrots.

But the UM costs more, and I'd like to master it for this! :)
(Since I'm never going to get proficient at slicing tomatoes with it!!!)

babywings76 said:
I might be naughty, but I don't use the food holder when grating things. :D

That's my suggestion and I don't think there is anything naughty about it. :)

What I would do (and am planning on doing in just a little bit) is to cut the carrots into about 4" chunks and put as many as I can into the guard standing upright. Then not using the top piece of the guard yet, use my hand to press down on the carrots until I can't anymore then add the top piece and finish that way. I have more luck with the UM this way.

Devil's advocate again...
See for grating, that just seems like too much extra effort. Carrots are so long and you can grate it for such a long time before your hand gets anywhere near the grater, so I just go for it. When I'm using the other blades that require the use of the food holder, that's when I cut the food and put them in it.

I'm with whoever posted above, I use the rotary grater... it's a breeze! You want to sell things to your customers that are easy! You don't want to trick them into thinking that it's easy to grate carrots with the UM and then have them buy it and hate it... at least I don't.

I too use the rotary grater. The UM is great, but there again, too many "steps" just to get grated carrots. Pampered Chef is all about ease and what I call Fast steps. Now using the UM for cheese grating!!! That's why I bought it. If you could only see the scars on my knuckles from the "old fasioned" grating I use to do!!! LOL

just be warned...I "stained" my UM when I used it for carrotts...BTW I use the food holder & lay them sideways when grating.

I also have 'stained' the UM when grating/slicing carrots. To get off the orange, use baking soda and a damp cloth to rub off. Just like MAGIC!

The guard isn't mandatory for grating, as evidenced by the fact that you can use that blade without the guard. I balance the UM over my Small Batter Bowl with the handle facing me. I then take 1 large, clean, peeled carrot at a time, grasping the larger end, and grate it standing up on a slight angle. Does that make sense?Oh, and you're going to want to rinse it immediately. Carrot will stain just about anything, which is something you can tell the crowd while your designated helper takes the UM off to the kitchen for rinsing.

Um, I use baby carrots in my Deluxe Cheese Grater. I don't grate much with the UM.

I use Clorox Clean Up Spray and spray the Cheese Grater or UM or whatever is stained (cutting boards too) and let it sit for a minute and then wash, good as new. Keeps my cutting boards looking great!

I honestly never use the UM - nothing ever seems to work and it's just easier to do it with something else about 90% of the time. I've stopped bringing mine to shows and I never talk about it. I want my guest to buy something they'll love so they want more and more PC stuff.

The rotary grater worked pretty good on the carrots - but the Microplae Adjustable Grater is by far the easiest way to grate carrots! Just set it up to drop the carrots on a cutting board. I also liked that the pieces weren't as long as what comes out of the rotary grater so you can easily scoop the carrot cake mixture in the mini-muffin pan.

Oh - and you don't have to worry about any staining with the Microplane Adjustable Grater!

I break apart the carrot into a few pieces and stick them on the tines. It works well, at least i can grate multiple pieces at once.

I have a customer that wants to return hers because of the stains. The staining drives me crazy too, so I can't really blame her. I used a magic eraser and it worked ok. I tried it again today but sprayed it with Pam. Then it just rinsed off very easily I think I might try that from now on when using the UM with things that stain. Anyone else have any tricks?

pamperedchristie said:
I break apart the carrot into a few pieces and stick them on the tines. It works well, at least i can grate multiple pieces at once.

I have a customer that wants to return hers because of the stains. The staining drives me crazy too, so I can't really blame her. I used a magic eraser and it worked ok. I tried it again today but sprayed it with Pam. Then it just rinsed off very easily I think I might try that from now on when using the UM with things that stain. Anyone else have any tricks?

I just spray mine with Clorax Clean Up and let it set for a minute and then wash it, cleans it up great, I also use that on my cutting boards every so often. I don't like to use the magic eraser on food items, there are a lot of chemicals in there that I don't think are good for consumption! I have heard of people using it and having a really bad reaction just from it being in their hand.

At one of our last team meetings one of the other consultants brought hers and a chunk of cheese because she couldn't figure out how to do it with the food holder. My director told us that you're not necessarily supposed to use the food holder with the grater blade because, like someone already said, it's not necessary for the blade to even function unlike the other blades. Also, she showed us the best way to make the other blades work. Don't push down on the food holder, use a smooth quick motion. In other words, you don't have to push down to get the food to be cut with the blades. That's what makes it hard because then it's trying to cut too thick of a piece when you're squishing the food inbetween the mandolin and the blade. I tried it at home with a potato and it worked wonders!

my 2 cents...I HATE the UM...
Been doing PC for 8Yr, sold MANY ultimate slice n grates.
I hate the new one...cannot make it work well, and don;t like that small hole for the food. If someone asks me about it I will be honest. And if they just buy it..I try to give them tips and make sure they know the return policy if they do not like it.

1. How do I use the Ultra Coarse Microplane to grate carrots?

To grate carrots with the Ultra Coarse Microplane, first wash and peel the carrots. Then, using a firm grip, hold the Microplane over a bowl or plate. Hold the carrot at a slight angle and firmly run it over the blades in a downward motion, using even pressure. Be sure to use the protective cover to protect your fingers from the sharp blades.

2. Can the Ultra Coarse Microplane be used for other vegetables besides carrots?

Yes, the Ultra Coarse Microplane can be used to grate a variety of vegetables, such as zucchini, squash, and potatoes. It can also be used for grating hard cheeses, chocolate, and citrus zest.

3. How do I clean the Ultra Coarse Microplane after grating carrots?

To clean the Ultra Coarse Microplane after use, simply rinse it under running water and use a small brush or toothpick to remove any remaining pieces of carrot. It can also be washed in the dishwasher for easy cleanup.

4. Can the Ultra Coarse Microplane be used for grating other ingredients besides carrots?

Yes, the Ultra Coarse Microplane can be used for grating a variety of ingredients, including hard cheeses, chocolate, and citrus zest. It can also be used for grating spices, such as nutmeg and cinnamon.

5. Is the Ultra Coarse Microplane safe to use?

Yes, the Ultra Coarse Microplane is safe to use when following proper instructions. Be sure to always use the protective cover and hold the Microplane at a slight angle while grating. Keep your fingers away from the blades to avoid any accidents.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • esavvymom