• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rotary Grater: Perfect for Carrots and More!

In summary, the rotary grater with carrots is not ideal and people should be aware of this before purchasing it.
floccies
Has anyone used the rotary grater with carrots? I have not, but I list that as an item that can be used with it when I show it.

I just had a customer call and say it only mushed them and stained the grater .

Is it supposed to be used with carrots?

floccies said:
Has anyone used the rotary grater with carrots? I have not, but I list that as an item that can be used with it when I show it.

I just had a customer call and say it only mushed them and stained the grater .

Is it supposed to be used with carrots?

I could see how since the drum is a fine grate that it would turn the carrots to mush and there would be carrot juice everywhere, especially if she was applying a lot of pressure. Another reason why the new rotary grater sucks.

Yes, it's a fine grate, so not really appropriate for carrots. Don't hold back, Keith. Tell us how you really feel about it. LOL!

raebates said:
Yes, it's a fine grate, so not really appropriate for carrots.

Don't hold back, Keith. Tell us how you really feel about it. LOL!

I think it's one of the worst redesigns ever. I didn't like how cheese got stuck in the old one, but at least it grated a normal consistency. This one just feels cheap like I'm going to break it as I use it, and the cheese strands go everywhere.

That really sucks! I just had someone ask me about grating carrots in it today and said I had never tried it but would before her show. Then she saw it say in the catty description that it worked on carrots and I told her I have never had PC advertise if it didn't work! Grrrrrrrrrrr Yah, I much prefer the older grater to this

Yeah, I feel bad. Before I actually had mine I talked it up based on what I understood from the description in the catalog and what I heard on CC. I brought my old one to the shows and said that I like this one but the one that they would order would have all the same features of mine but it is SO much better because it has a bigger drum and it's not so difficult to press. I sold a TON. I didn't realize at that point that it only has the one fine grate. Grr :eek: I've already had people unhappy with it, and now that I regrettably have one I understand why. We already have a fine cheese grater, we need a decent regular cheese grater - because I certainly don't prefer the mandoline for that job. :(

The drum is great for really hard cheeses, like parmesan, but mostly I love my microplane for that. Although for somethings the shred of the rotary grater is better, like shredding parmesan over a caesar salad. It is pretty awful for cheddar and "normal" cheeses though...

I don't understand why they don't include two drums with it. A bigger shred would make all the difference for doing cheddar and mozzerella, and make it SO much more useful...

I think a second drum is badly needed. However, I have used the RG with carrots and it is a fine grate but great for a carrot cake or muffins. It's not great if you want it for salads. People should be made aware that when dealing with plastic and food that could possibly stain the plastic, it should be put in hot water before it ever touches the cold water. The stain will go away! But please give us our second drum!!!

AnnieBee said:
The drum is great for really hard cheeses, like parmesan, ...

I really liked it for the Parmesan, but I keep using the old one more...

Chef Gilles said:
I think a second drum is badly needed. However, I have used the RG with carrots and it is a fine grate but great for a carrot cake or muffins. It's not great if you want it for salads. People should be made aware that when dealing with plastic and food that could possibly stain the plastic, it should be put in hot water before it ever touches the cold water. The stain will go away! But please give us our second drum!!!

I have to admit that when I make carrot cake, I use my food processor to grate the carrots, it is SO much faster :).

Speaking of which, I haven't made carrot cake in ages, might need to whip some up sometime soon...

1. How do I properly use a grater to shred carrots?

To use a grater for carrots, hold the grater steady with one hand and use the other hand to firmly grip the carrot and slide it down the grater in a downward motion. Be sure to use caution and keep your fingers away from the sharp grating edges.

2. Can I grate carrots in a food processor?

Yes, you can use a food processor to grate carrots. Simply peel and chop the carrots into smaller pieces and pulse them in the food processor until they reach the desired consistency.

3. How do I clean a grater after shredding carrots?

To clean a grater after shredding carrots, run it under hot water and use a scrub brush or sponge to remove any stuck-on pieces. For tougher stains, you can also soak the grater in warm soapy water before scrubbing.

4. Can I use a grater for other vegetables besides carrots?

Yes, a grater can be used for a variety of vegetables such as zucchini, potatoes, and beets. Just make sure to adjust the pressure and speed of grating based on the hardness of the vegetable.

5. What is the best type of grater to use for shredding carrots?

The best type of grater for shredding carrots is a box grater with medium-sized holes. This will allow for evenly shredded carrots without being too fine or too chunky.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jjaastef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • raebates
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
KitchenSmellzSmokey
  • Jholmes0904