• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Good Grief! I Got an Internet Violation Notice From the Ho...

In summary, the PC consultant website Joy's was using images, recipes, wording, logos, and other intellectual property without permission from Career Solutions led to a violation of policy. The website is now in violation and consultants are not allowed to use the property.
PampChefJoy said:
I am still on the fence about the images because I truly believe that in acting as your "assistant," I can produce the email for you using the tools that PC authorizes you to use.

This is another one of those gray areas. P&P clearly addresses the useage of the logo, and making sure we use the appropriate symbols when referring to trademarked names etc. However, the part about copyrighted items (catalog, postcards, images etc) is quite vague. When I first started, I understood it to mean that we can use the logo in our own flyers, but the images were copyrighted by TPC and thus couldn't be used. This is one of the really frustrating parts, not knowing for sure.

PampChefJoy said:
I am seriously contemplating sending in my resignation letter in the next few days just so my intent is clear (that my service does not involve me being an active consultant).

IMO I think you should hold off. I know you're very upset about all of this, and I would hate for you to make a decision like that with all these emotions stirred up. Have they asked you to do so? Maybe this will all blow over, and they'll go back to ignoring the whole newsletter business. One of the best bits about your newsletter is that you ARE a consultant, and know what we want and need.

Doesn't staying a consultant also help you have access to the very latest news and pictures, promos, etc.? I guess maybe you could have people keep you posted on stuff, but don't you need to be able to access CC to get the info you need to do the newsletter? I agree with Noora, hold off just a bit so you don't risk regretting it later. I hope all this blows over for you. You do such a great job! :)

I wouldn't give up being a consultant until you have a resolution as to what is going to happen here w/ this. No need putting yourself out there, and I also think if you resign before anything is resolved, you are going to appear to look like you know you did something wrong.

chefsteph07 said:
I wouldn't give up being a consultant until you have a resolution as to what is going to happen here w/ this. No need putting yourself out there, and I also think if you resign before anything is resolved, you are going to appear to look like you know you did something wrong.

I agree on this. The HO needs to realize how important these newsletters are to our business and the one on our PWS does not cut it.

I understand what you guys are saying but I am thinking maybe HO doesn't realize or recognize there is a difference between me the consultant and me the writer... I mean, they emailed me at my consultant email about the website instead of emailing me at the TT address, which is probably easier to find.... if I hadn't put my "about me" page on my website, I wonder if they would have had as easy a way to figure out who I am.

Okay, I need to say this and you all will probably hate me for it.

Joy, I love you and think your newsletters are great and your free flyers were a wonderful service. But obviously something about what you are doing is against PC rules. Maybe it was your "about me" or something on your website. I would contact PC and ask them to look at your site again to see if it's now in compliance. I would preface with a statement that the site is a service for PC consultants and others would only see the information and need to contact their consultant or HO to order (as long as you don't have your WPS or contact info on there). I'd also be sure that the site doesn't indicate at all that you are a consultant.

And in my opinion you are breaking the "rules" here by self-promoting. You aren't the only one - there are several. Everyone who has links in their sig to other things they sell or talk about things they make to sell (jewelry, hair ribbons, etc.) are self-promoting. I see that as against the rules (but ignored) in this forum. This thread is also promoting your other business. I don't see how this is any different than when someone else was blatently promoting her other direct sales business (she ended up getting banned).

BethCooks4U said:
Okay, I need to say this and you all will probably hate me for it.Joy, I love you and think your newsletters are great and your free flyers were a wonderful service. But obviously something about what you are doing is against PC rules. Maybe it was your "about me" or something on your website. I would contact PC and ask them to look at your site again to see if it's now in compliance. I would preface with a statement that the site is a service for PC consultants and others would only see the information and need to contact their consultant or HO to order (as long as you don't have your WPS or contact info on there). I'd also be sure that the site doesn't indicate at all that you are a consultant.And in my opinion you are breaking the "rules" here by self-promoting. You aren't the only one - there are several. Everyone who has links in their sig to other things they sell or talk about things they make to sell (jewelry, hair ribbons, etc.) are self-promoting. I see that as against the rules (but ignored) in this forum. This thread is also promoting your other business. I don't see how this is any different than when someone else was blatently promoting her other direct sales business (she ended up getting banned).
Actually, there is a clear guideline, here it is from Deb, you can go read it.http://www.chefsuccess.com/f17/no-self-promotion-please-17476/Signatures are EXEMPT as long as they don't include recruitment.The former case of the person being banned was because she was blatantly recruiting in many forms. Also, she was banned for other conduct not just her business.Anyway, there are some violations that haven't been addressed, but Joy has RARELY talked about her other business unless specifically addresses and 99% of the time tells people to please e-mail her instead of posting on here.

Last edited:
Well, I guess it is allowed in the sigs but in my opinion it makes no sense. I can put whatever I want in my sig and it's okay but I can't post the same. Whatever.

I deleted my original message and asked Janet to delete her response. I can see that it would cause a heated discussion and that wasn't the intention. I thought I was stating my thoughts but in re-reading it I see that it will serve no good purpose.

Please don't let this thread become about the post. This post will be deleted if Janet deletes the one that quoted my comments in order to not confuse people.

Sorry.

cookn' katie said:
Ok~ Stupid question~ If I have that I am a PC consultant on my FB page, is that a violation? I don't want to break rules, but I have alot of friends on there that I would like to know what I do. I don't have any links to my website??? What are the rules?
Just don't mention PC-- I have my job as "I make dreams come true"... or something like that... make sure not to mention PC, the words.Wow.. I did not realize how big this issue has gotten. Joy I do not subscribe to any newsletters but I know what you do it help many others with theirs... you just help them out. I am sorry this is happening to you.

Last edited:
Wait so you mean where we put our employment information, it;s ILLEGAL to list that we are a PC consultant? Also can someone tell me where the rules are for the website. I just started mine and god know I don't want to get shut down before i get it up. :(

KrisGio said:
Wait so you mean where we put our employment information, it;s ILLEGAL to list that we are a PC consultant? Also can someone tell me where the rules are for the website. I just started mine and god know I don't want to get shut down before i get it up. :(

Yes, that's correct. It's outlined in the policies, which are downloadable on CC. Look in the section about Internet and PWS.

I also have another question. A friend of mine and I are teaming up and offering duel parties. I do PC and she does something similar to Tastefully Simple (but better tasting and NO way as expensive). I put something up on my PC website, am I going to get in trouble for this?

chefann said:
Yes, that's correct. It's outlined in the policies, which are downloadable on CC. Look in the section about Internet and PWS.

It's also written on the back of the paper agreement and a print out available when they sign on line which I think every new consultant should be told to read - like every other contract, it's the signers responsibility to know what they agreed to. There's no excuse not to know.

So then how is it that there are THOUSANDS of PC product for sale on Ebay and yet I can't advertise that I work as a consultant for PC. How are you suppose to get your name out, e-mail everyone in cyber space (because THAT'S legal). I think HO needs to take a look at their policies. We are consultants but don't have the ability to act as such. Something is wrong with that. :(

BTW I read the policy before I signed it and NEVER thought that posting that I am a consultant for such a great company was A CRIME.

KrisGio said:
So then how is it that there are THOUSANDS of PC product for sale on Ebay and yet I can't advertise that I work as a consultant for PC. How are you suppose to get your name out, e-mail everyone in cyber space (because THAT'S legal). I think HO needs to take a look at their policies. We are consultants but don't have the ability to act as such. Something is wrong with that. :(

BTW I read the policy before I signed it and NEVER thought that posting that I am a consultant for such a great company was A CRIME.

It's not a crime - it's just against policy.

I'm willing to bet that HO is revisting this policy and I wouldn't be surprised if new guidelines were announced at NC this summer reflecting some of our concerns. I think that will be the big WOW announcement (aside from the products).

Last edited:
pamperedlinda said:

I'm willing to bet that HO is revisting this policy and I wouldn't be surprised if new guidelines were announced at NC this summer reflecting some of our concerns. I think that will be the big WOW announcement (aside from the products).

I hope so! It would be nice to be able to list what you do in your profiles!:rolleyes:

pamperedlinda said:

What I meant about being a crime was that we can't advetise that we work for a great company. If you can't list what you do for a living then I find that pretty insane.:cry:

KrisGio said:
I also have another question. A friend of mine and I are teaming up and offering duel parties. I do PC and she does something similar to Tastefully Simple (but better tasting and NO way as expensive). I put something up on my PC website, am I going to get in trouble for this?

Duel (fight) or dual (double)?

It is in the consultant agreement that we cannot promote another product at the same time as PC, but if it's your friend offering the other one, then that gets around that. Whether or not you can list it on your PWS that there will be another company there is a question for Career Solutions. Send them a question at [email protected].

I have spent the last 45 minutes reading through most of this thread about the internet violation. I have been in PC for over 16 years. I remember when we had to send our orders in by mail and do everything by hand. I am sharing this because I want everyone to know that I've seen alot of things come and go with PC through the years.

I may come across a little harsh here, but please bare with me. I have been a member of chefsuccess for quite awhile. I only get on here every once in a while to get flyers or post a quick question if I need help. I know alot of you are on here alot and love the support you have with each other. I have to say that this is the first time I've read through a thread and to be honest, I am upset to see so much complaining and negative energy shared. I feel for Joy and her situation. BUt I must say that I am grateful to represent a company that protects me the way PC does. While I may be missing out on some of the details that home office has brought up with Joy (I didn't read every post of the thread, just skimmed a majority of it), my general understanding is that the website of her newsletter and the fact that she is making money from it are the big No-No's in home office's eyes. IF that is the case, then I agree with the company's stand for this reason: This protects our company name/reputation, etc. from unapproved people who could say and do whatever they wanted about PC. Now we all cyber trust Joy. But think about all the other people that could use this in a negative way. A huge company like PC has to have rules to govern who is out there using their name on websites that they cannot control the content of. There can be no gray area in policy. Also, people can say they represent the company and scam people. It all fits into the purpose of the policy. And the company cannot go through each individual situation and say "well okay on this one". Then you are opening up a huge can of worms and there is no way to govern the company... it would basically be a free-for-all on web content. I hope that everyone can see that this policy is actually GOOD for us. It is a protection.

Licensed vendors are another way for PC to keep control of the reputation and content of the 'good will' of the company. Plus, I believe, it's a benefit to us. I have been to conferences, in the past, when there were consultants knocking on hotel rooms of random consultants trying to sell their PC jewelry... LIttle baking stones made of clay, etc. If anyone could sell PC related stuff, anywhere and anyhow, it could get to the point of some places you may have gone when you can't even walk around with out people coming up to you and soliciting their goods, like the straw market in the Bahamas. I know this is an extreme, but its just a way of protecting/stopping something before it gets out of hand.

I have attached a copy of the agreement we all signed when we became consultants. One of the points of the agreement states:
I will protect the Company’s trademarks and trade name by not reproducing the Company’s name and/or trademarks or copy any of the Company’s materials for use in any advertising without the prior written approval of the Company.
Also point #7 refers to reproducing company proprietary information.

Just as a smart business decision, I would not rely on a newsletter as such an integral part of my business anyway. THe phone is where its at.

I must say, however, I am saddened to see that new consultants are on here and considering giving up their business over this issue. Our company, in my opinion and I'm sure many others', is the strongest in the direct selling industry. Heck, Warren Buffet bought us. Not many companies can say that. Our company is financially sound with no debt and super focused on what is best for the consultants.

Right now, home office is going through an UPGRADE for us with their communications. Anytime there is a new system, there is a transition period that can be tough. That is what is going on now if anyone is having a hard time getting through to the Solution Center. So instead of complaining about that issue, then adding this internet issue to a list of gripes with the company, make a list of all the positive outcomes of working your business by getting on the phone and focusing on booking shows and recruiting before you make a decision of giving up. There are so many opportunities out there and our time is limited. Spend it productively on the phone.

Joy, I mean no disrespect to you in any way from what I have posted here. I think its very admirable and shows alot of work integrity on your part to produce these newsletters.

Attachments

• Consultant Agreement.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 273

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • lacychef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies