• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Your Conference Experience: Tips for Bringing Your Spouse Along

In summary, spouses may come to National Conference separately or together, depending on their individual needs and interests. spouses are expected to participate in all General Session sessions and most classes. spouses are also permitted to stay in the Conference hotel for a discounted rate. spouses are also allowed to participate in the General Session and some class sessions, depending on their level of involvement.
babywings76
Gold Member
So my DH was thinking he might come with me. How should this work? Does he attend the meetings with me? Is he allowed to go to the showcase room? What do other spouses do when they go? Or is it best to just be with my cluster and have my DH meet up with me before or after Conference entirely?

And what about accomidations (sp?) Are we able to stay at one of the Conference hotels for a discount?

He can participate if he wants. There is a charge depending on if he wants to just go to General Session or if he wants to also go to some classes. You could team up and have him takes notes at classes you couldn't go to! They will have pricing for that when registration opens up. Other than that you can both stay in a room together. My HD's husband actually stays in the room with his wife and her team. He sleeps on the floor. he doesn't attend any functions though.

Honestly, I'd leave him at home, especially if this is your first time going. There is SO MUCH to do and see. There are tons of networking opportunities EVERYWHERE. You won't want to miss a minute!

DebbieJ said:
Honestly, I'd leave him at home, especially if this is your first time going. There is SO MUCH to do and see. There are tons of networking opportunities EVERYWHERE. You won't want to miss a minute!

I was thinking that at first, but then he starting saying that maybe we could stay and take a vacation there before or after it. July is our 12th anniversary. With 4 kids, we really want to take some time for just the 2 of us. But I'm still debating because I want to be able to focus on the biz and the excitement. If I'm with him, I wonder what I'll miss in learning with and bonding with my clustermates, ya know?! But having him attend the seminars could get him more excited about my biz. Right now, he supports me but begrudges it at the same time....

How about you go to conference, and then he comes into town the last day. You keep the hotel room you have been staying and do the town??

Personally, I wouldn't bring my husband. He would be fine, all the ladies would love him, but honestly, I wouldn't be able to network or learn as much as I can on my own. It really is a working conference, there is so much to do and they keep you pretty busy and you don't want to miss a minute.

babywings76 said:
I was thinking that at first, but then he starting saying that maybe we could stay and take a vacation there before or after it. July is our 12th anniversary. With 4 kids, we really want to take some time for just the 2 of us. But I'm still debating because I want to be able to focus on the biz and the excitement. If I'm with him, I wonder what I'll miss in learning with and bonding with my clustermates, ya know?! But having him attend the seminars could get him more excited about my biz. Right now, he supports me but begrudges it at the same time....[/QUOTE]

I had that same issue till I earned level 1 2 yrs ago.
When I was leaving for shows he would say hurry home. Now he says good luck.

My husband comes with me and he site sees around Chicago while I am at Conference. He gets away from work and I don't have to travel alone. Win.Win.

We decided he'd stay home with the kids. I felt that I would get more out of it w/o him there to distract me. This way I can fully take in all that Conference has to offer. We're going to celebrate our anniversary later in the month.

I tried to get my wife to come with me. She has relatives close to Chicago. She said no.

The Furry Guy is tremendously supportive of my PC business. Still, I can't imagine taking him with me. I think I would find it distracting. Plus, I'd be less likely to seek out new people if I had him there handy.

My husband came o tDenver with me this January, because I walked, and he had so much fun!!! He kept himself busy during the dasy, and then attended dinners with us. Having said that, I do not think I would take him to National Conference, because one of the nights is a banquet, and late nights with meetings with team, etc, that he would have a lot of empty time on his hands.

I've been debating whether or not to bring my husband. I'd love for him to see the big picture of the business, and meet other consultants, and truly see how successful this business can be. I kind of have the same issue as Amanda. He is supportive, and wants me to succeed, but at the same time he doesn't like the time it takes me. It's even harder for me lately since I haven't been working my business as much as I know I need to. I've lost some of my inspiration, and I'm hoping NC will bring some of it back.

The other issue is our son. He's turning one at the end of May, and would not be allowed to attend the sessions etc. So that would mean either having Grammy come to our house to watch him so just the two of us can go, or bringing him along, and then the boys spend the days together sightseeing.

This year, I saw that the housing form says that Consultant numbers and names will be verified. Would that mean that we couldn't stay at a NC hotel? I had thought that it might be nice to split one of those double rooms with another couple (if someone else were going).

NooraK said:
The other issue is our son. He's turning one at the end of May, and would not be allowed to attend the sessions etc. So that would mean either having Grammy come to our house to watch him so just the two of us can go, or bringing him along, and then the boys spend the days together sightseeing.

This year, I saw that the housing form says that Consultant numbers and names will be verified. Would that mean that we couldn't stay at a NC hotel? I had thought that it might be nice to split one of those double rooms with another couple (if someone else were going).

Your son wouldn't be allowed to attend sessions anyway, unless he's reached his legal majority (18).

You can stay at a conference hotel with non-consultants. If you supply consultant numbers for anyone in your room, the numbers will be verified and will be cross-checked with other room reservations. That was implemented a couple of years ago to cut down on consultants reserving more rooms than they needed in anticipation of having large teams attending, and then not releasing the unneeded rooms in a timely manner.

chefann said:
Your son wouldn't be allowed to attend sessions anyway, unless he's reached his legal majority (18).....

He also would not be allowed to attend the exec dinner. A few years ago my SED had allowed one of her consultants to bring her infant to the exec dinner - the wait-staff had evidently been told by HO that this was not allowed as they asked her to leave with the baby. Even though we were all supportive and my SED said it was okay....she had even taken a table in the back next to the door so she could make a quick exit in case the baby started to get fussy.

chefann said:
Your son wouldn't be allowed to attend sessions anyway, unless he's reached his legal majority (18).

Right, that's what I meant :D

I don't know how interested my husband would be about attending the workshops or general sessions anyway. The Exec dinner would probably be the only thing.

But then again, we may not have enough cash for both of us to go anyway.

Noorak~
Just a few thoughts for you...
Your husband and son could certainly sight see while you are attending all of the wonderful meetings. While some may find it distracting, others still, my find it more distracting to leave husband and baby at home.

A few ideas for your hubby and kiddo if you do go:
1) Brookfield Zoo in Chicago
2)Chicago Park District (Google it)
3)Sears Tower
4)Planetarium or Aquarium
5)Legoland
Just a few ideas for you guys. Also, if you want to give him a little more freedom. There are a few different indoor water park/hotels in Chicago. They can stay right at the hotel and play in the water for hours.

Now I say all this without having experienced it. I have only been a consultant for about a month. (Wait, 1 month TODAY!!) And I am expecting my first little boy on July 2nd. So, needless to say, there is no chance I am going to Conference this year. However, my husband and I have already started looking at what is availabe out there for next year. We plan on all going together and he will stay with the baby while I am at different conference events and then we will be staying in Chicago a few days after conference ends so we can see all the great stuff!!

We don't really like to be apart for long periods of time (and I plan to breast feed) so we just decided "Hey, let's do it together!" Nothing wrong with that. SO, if you guys want give it a try. There are plenty of things to keep your two busy while you are soaking up the awesome PC atmosphere!!

Tiffany-
Thanks so much for the information. I'd love for my husband to go, and if I can get the shows on my calendar to cover the cost, I'll drag him along!

If? IF? (hehe) You CAN do it! And you have so many incentives. Great Sell-a-thon opportunity in June, nice mini vacation, conference, Woooot! You can do it, you can do it! Good luck!!

Sorry to join in to this thread so late, but I've been to NC twice and taken my spouse and infant both times. This year, my third NC (but 1st since rejoining PC), I will again be taking my spouse (albeit a new spouse since I'm divorced and remarried) and my infant daughter. If you have any questions on how to do conference with a spouse, I'd be happy to chime in. FWIW, I'm going a day early and leaving a day late so that we can have family time. If you want your husband to go, by all means, take him. There is a way to have fun with your spouse and enjoy conference, too. I plan on taking my husband and baby on one of the architectural boat tours and to see a few sites (walk down Magnificent Mile, Buckingham Fountain, Soldier Field, Lincoln Park Zoo, etc.)

1. How can I make the most of my conference experience while also bringing my spouse along?

Bringing your spouse to a conference can be a great opportunity for both personal and professional growth. To maximize your experience, try to include your spouse in some of the conference activities, such as networking events or social gatherings. You can also plan some leisure time for the two of you to explore the city or attend local attractions together.

2. Is it appropriate to bring my spouse to all conference sessions?

It is generally not recommended to bring your spouse to all conference sessions, as they may not be relevant or interesting to them. However, if there are specific sessions that your spouse is interested in or can contribute to, it is appropriate to bring them along.

3. Should my spouse and I stay at the same hotel as the conference or find our own accommodations?

It is often more convenient to stay at the same hotel as the conference, as it allows for easy access to conference activities and networking opportunities. However, if you and your spouse prefer to have your own space or there are other accommodations that better suit your needs, it is also acceptable to find alternative lodging.

4. How can I balance spending time with my spouse and attending conference events?

One way to balance your time is to plan ahead and schedule specific times for you and your spouse to spend together, as well as times for you to attend conference events. This will ensure that you are able to make the most of both experiences without feeling overwhelmed or missing out on important opportunities.

5. Are there any activities or events specifically for spouses at the conference?

Some conferences may offer activities or events specifically for spouses, such as spouse networking sessions or tours of the local area. Be sure to check the conference schedule or ask the organizers if there are any planned activities for spouses. If not, you can always plan your own activities or explore the city together during free time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KimberleePowell
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KimberleePowell
  • pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefann
  • Cr8vKitchen