• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are Direct Sales Companies Really Giving Themselves a Bad Name?

In summary, the author of the blog post is expressing frustration with a fellow Direct Sales business owner who is badmouthing other companies in the industry. The author agrees with some of the points made about one specific company, but is irritated by the overall tone of the post and the lack of understanding about the Direct Sales industry. The author considers responding to the post, but ultimately decides against it, knowing that this individual's views are not representative of the entire industry.
NooraK
Gold Member
I read a blog post this morning:http://travelingworkout.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/shhh-the-team-beachbody-coach-network-is-mlm/It's making me mad.The one thing I've always loved about Direct Sales in general, is that you don't have to step on anyone else in order to build your business and be successful. No one above you has to leave in order for you to promote, and you don't have to bad mouth others to make yourself look good.He's doing exactly that: bad mouthing other DS companies. I agree with his comment about the "A" company. I did that, too, and understand how he might feel about them.But this irks me:
I would also like to ask if you’ve ever heard of Avon (make up), Pampered Chef (kitchen stuff), Mary Kay (make up), Cookie Lee (jewelry), and Tupperware (plastic containers)? Been to a party lately at a friend’s house? Grrrr, those are multi-level marketing/network marketing/direct marketing companies too, and you probably didn’t even realize it! That’s OK, it’s more of a social event to buy stuff you probably don’t need, and in the case of my wife, you feel obligated to buy something since you attended. What these companies don’t offer is VALUE. Yeah, you can buy stuff, but what are you really getting out of it other that a glass of wine and an offer to host a party yourself?...Ask yourself this…Does Tupperware relentlessly pursue Ending the Trend of Obesity in this great country of ours? Do Cookie Lee consultants follow up with you to make sure that you’re jewelery still meets your beauty needs? Does Mary Kay help you plan for financial success? Can’t say for certain because I’m not involved, but I think it’s safe to assume the answer to all those questions is no.
Ok, so Tupperware's Mission Statement might not be to End the Trend of Obesity (neither is ours, but we have a great mission). If the Cookie Lee consultant is good, she will follow up with you. If the Mary Kay rep is doing her job, she will offer you her business opportunity. I am very irritated right now, and want to post on his blog and blast him to bits, but that would be sinking to his level, and I don't think I want to do that. So I'm here instead, sharing with my cheffer friends, knowing many will understand. :DETA: I commented this, and he responded with this and edited his blog post.

Last edited:
You could post just this:
" 'Can't say for certain because I'm not involved, but I think it's safe to assume....' Sir- you said it YOURSELF with your own words. You don't know, and you know what they say about assuming.
Have a nice day."
Consider this....how big is his blog following, and there are always people who think this. If he looks up the definition of MLM....EVERY corporation in America is an MLM. We've had this discussion before. he's clueless. He got burned by a company that was only in it for the promotions...so be it. He won't be more than a drop in the bucket of the ocean....insignificant.

esavvymom said:
You could post just this:

" 'Can't say for certain because I'm not involved, but I think it's safe to assume....' Sir- you said it YOURSELF with your own words. You don't know, and you know what they say about assuming.
Have a nice day."

Consider this....how big is his blog following, and there are always people who think this. If he looks up the definition of MLM....EVERY corporation in America is an MLM. We've had this discussion before. he's clueless. He got burned by a company that was only in it for the promotions...so be it. He won't be more than a drop in the bucket of the ocean....insignificant.

That's quite perfect!

I know his blog isn't big, and it's a drop in the bucket, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. Thanks for reminding me there are many good DS people for each bad apple :)

I went to read his blog and noticed that he is "promoting" his business as the anti of ours in otherwords. Guess he missed out on one of the very first lessons of being a successful business person-don't bad mouth other businesses. Your light should shine without belittling someone else-kind of speaks volumes about his security level.
His business is an MLM too he's just too wrapped up in his own thoughts to realize what he is saying, poor thing.....
Great advice on what you could post by the way!

As it should, Noora. This guy is violating one of the first rules of good sales--focus on the positive, not knocking others.

I built a bit on what Bobbi said, and decided to comment this:

“Can’t say for certain because I’m not involved, but I think it’s safe to assume the answer to all those questions is no.”

I’m saddened to read that your experience with one company has left you with with this kind of an attitude toward all Direct Sales companies (except your own, of course). The one thing I’ve always loved about Direct Sales is how accepting everyone is of everyone else.

The thing about direct sales is that pretty much all of the companies work on the same basic format: Share your products and business opportunity with others in a person-to-person setting. Yes, there are representatives who do not create value in what they do, and do not properly follow up with their customers, but I believe if you look, you will find that the majority if direct sellers are not that way.

I wish you much luck in your business, and hope you will meet and network with other wonderful direct sellers as you go.

My comment is "awaiting moderation", so we'll see if it ever gets published :rolleyes:

Honestly his post confused me....sounded like it was very negative re:MLM but then is discussing his own MLM venture. Doubt he'll sell much with this blog post

I didn't see the part about
"I would also like to ask if you’ve ever heard of Avon (make up), Pampered Chef (kitchen stuff), Mary Kay (make up), Cookie Lee (jewelry), and Tupperware (plastic containers)? Been to a party lately at a friend’s house? Grrrr, those are multi-level marketing/network marketing/direct marketing companies too, and you probably didn’t even realize it! That’s OK, it’s more of a social event to buy stuff you probably don’t need, and in the case of my wife, you feel obligated to buy something since you attended. What these companies don’t offer is VALUE. Yeah, you can buy stuff, but what are you really getting out of it other that a glass of wine and an offer to host a party yourself?"

Maybe he edited his post? It now says this"
I would also like to ask if you’ve ever heard of Avon, Pampered Chef , Mary Kay, Cookie Lee, and Tupperware? Been to a party lately at a friend’s house? Grrrr, those are multi-level marketing/network marketing/direct marketing companies too, and you probably didn’t even realize it! That’s OK, all of these companies offer their own form of value to each of their markets, and so does Beachbody. "

So, now reading his post, it didn't sound anti MLM at all, nor did it appear to be bad-mouthing PC or Avon, etc. I think he is trying to say that the A company gave MLM a bad name and that his company is just as legit as PC, Avon, etc.

What a db... sounds like Amway! Or maybe that is the A company. His business is just like any other MLM business.

"How do Beachbody Coaches do this? We tell our friends, our neighbors, our acquaintances, our soccer team parents… we share our success stories, we coach people on how to live fit and healthy lives. We follow-up, we use social media to spread the word, we work hand in hand with our customers to ensure they reach their goals."

We do the exact same thing... personally I'm not into team beach body stuff... the shakes are terrible... I'll pull a slim fast out of the fridge anyday... cheaper too.

Again personally, I am friends with a BeachBody coach on FB... how I don't know... I just haven't deleted her. Anyways... every 30 seconds there is a post about something fitness related. I can't stand it. I don't find it motivational, I find it annoying. I almost feel like those coaches are brain washed.

I don't look at PC as MLM company, or a pyramid scheme. I run my own business and I have a team... I am structured and I answer to people and people answer to me... same would be if I were working in an office or anywhere else.... I'm just having more fun!

He changed his post.

After posting my comment, I received an email from him:

Hello,

Thanks for your comment, I was trying to prove a point and went about it the wrong way. The post has since been updated to remove any negative connotations to other MLM companies. I still feel the same way about Amway as I was burned bad and even had to ask 2 people from that company to leave my house years ago, so that's staying in there :)

My overall intent is to show that MLM is not a bad thing, it just has a negative misperception. I passionately believe in helping others get fit and healthy just as other DM'ers feel about what they do.

Thanks for reading and pointing that out.

Enjoy life!

He has (as he said) removed the part I quoted and another bit in the comment where he mentions other DS companies that was negative.

Good for him! I might actually go like his FB page now :D

Oh, and I sent him a link to Jen Fong's page, too.

That sounds more like it. Who HASN'T been burned by Amway...or other companies who try to trick you into meetings, without ever telling you what it is they are selling, or that they are trying to convince YOU to sell.least he had the intelligence to not only correct it, but to reply to you professionally in the process.

esavvymom said:
least he had the intelligence to not only correct it, but to reply to you professionally in the process.

This is why I think he has the potential to be a great success.

I'm proud of you for addressing his post, and glad that he made corrections. Being teachable is a great attribute.

Just this weekend I was talking to a downline consultant's recruit lead. She says she's interested and then the next thing out of her mouth is that she just signed with Mary Kay and that she can get a car when she just has 7 (or so - I forget the exact number she said) people under her. What?! I checked into it and who ever she talked to soooo misled her. Recruits and mega sales and maintain high sales/team sales. smh. I asked her what it cost to start and she said $100 and then she said her samples are $300 to $3500 and with the $3500 she was excited to tell me that she gets a sample of everything they sell. lolWe can get a car too but I don't see people telling recruits that they can make the higher levels with little effort. The business practices of a lot of people in that company really irks me. ...oh, and she is still interested in PC, she just has to wait until she has a little money and time.

My husbands aunt and uncle sell Amway and we were so frustrated to be one of their couples they were determined were going to sign with them. They took us to an "event" when we first moved here but then when my hubby came home from Iraq in March they started hitting us hard. It was "hey, we are so glad you're home. We are gonna come up and take you guys out and we'll even bring (our teenage son) up to babysit for you". So we think we are going out for dinner with them and they pick us up and take us to an Amway meeting! Then they call a few days later and say "hey, we are coming up your way and want to pick up a pizza and have dinner with you guys". Until we said we weren't signing up to sell Amway. Then we haven't heard from them since. Sad right? They actually wanted me to use my PC contacts to give them names to go see. Apparently they've done it with the entire family. My in-laws are convinced they've been brainwashed.

But seriously, every business is multi-level. Even the army. Look at the structure. It's a pyramid. Way more people on the bottom (lower enlisted) than there are on the top (top officers). I don't get why people can't see that. At least with us (and I'm sure several others) we control which level we are on by the effort we put forth. Again, that's EFFORT. I don't tell anyone they are going to be replacing an executives salary doing 2 shows a month.

BethCooks4U said:
Just this weekend I was talking to a downline consultant's recruit lead. She says she's interested and then the next thing out of her mouth is that she just signed with Mary Kay and that she can get a car when she just has 7 (or so - I forget the exact number she said) people under her. What?! I checked into it and who ever she talked to soooo misled her. Recruits and mega sales and maintain high sales/team sales. smh. I asked her what it cost to start and she said $100 and then she said her samples are $300 to $3500 and with the $3500 she was excited to tell me that she gets a sample of everything they sell. lol

We can get a car too but I don't see people telling recruits that they can make the higher levels with little effort. The business practices of a lot of people in that company really irks me. ...oh, and she is still interested in PC, she just has to wait until she has a little money and time.

You shoudl probably call her in a couple months when she realizes what her upline did to her and may be up for a "cheaper" change.

The one thing I tell all my potentials is that you will never need to spend anymore $ on products if you don't want to, you can work for years with just the products in your kit. THat is what I love about PC, of course, I am not that disciplined in not buying all our products :) But at least the option is there.

And heck, if she wanted a PC car in a couple years she could do it...she just has to beat out david meeman in 1st year sales :)

pcsharon1 said:
My husbands aunt and uncle sell Amway and we were so frustrated to be one of their couples they were determined were going to sign with them. They took us to an "event" when we first moved here but then when my hubby came home from Iraq in March they started hitting us hard. It was "hey, we are so glad you're home. We are gonna come up and take you guys out and we'll even bring (our teenage son) up to babysit for you". So we think we are going out for dinner with them and they pick us up and take us to an Amway meeting! Then they call a few days later and say "hey, we are coming up your way and want to pick up a pizza and have dinner with you guys". Until we said we weren't signing up to sell Amway. Then we haven't heard from them since. Sad right? They actually wanted me to use my PC contacts to give them names to go see. Apparently they've done it with the entire family. My in-laws are convinced they've been brainwashed.

But seriously, every business is multi-level. Even the army. Look at the structure. It's a pyramid. Way more people on the bottom (lower enlisted) than there are on the top (top officers). I don't get why people can't see that. At least with us (and I'm sure several others) we control which level we are on by the effort we put forth. Again, that's EFFORT. I don't tell anyone they are going to be replacing an executives salary doing 2 shows a month.
I love how well and simply you put this!

JennyJennJen said:
You shoudl probably call her in a couple months when she realizes what her upline did to her and may be up for a "cheaper" change.

The one thing I tell all my potentials is that you will never need to spend anymore $ on products if you don't want to, you can work for years with just the products in your kit. THat is what I love about PC, of course, I am not that disciplined in not buying all our products :) But at least the option is there.

And heck, if she wanted a PC car in a couple years she could do it...she just has to beat out david meeman in 1st year sales :)

This is a great answer especially for those who were with MK or other companies that require inventory.

Buy things they don't even need? Oh PLEASE! I get my shampoo and hair gel from Avon. And don't we all need to cook at home to save money? I guess they don't think you need to cook meals because they sell nasty, overpriced supplements and shakes. Ick.

It was also a good thing you came here first to vent and then had time to collect your thoughts.

I love the way you approached him professionally and even better that he wrote back professionally.

I stopped reading after numerous posts. I'm glad he replied. Doesn't mean I'll like him. On Facebook or anywhere else.

1. How does the term "Giving Direct Sales a Bad Name" apply to Pampered Chef?

Direct sales is a business model where products are sold directly to consumers through independent representatives. Unfortunately, some companies may engage in aggressive or unethical sales tactics, giving direct sales a negative reputation. At Pampered Chef, we prioritize building genuine relationships with our customers and providing high-quality products, rather than focusing solely on making a sale.

2. What makes Pampered Chef different from other direct sales companies?

At Pampered Chef, we have been in business for over 40 years and have built a strong reputation for offering top-notch kitchen products and exceptional customer service. We also have strict policies in place to ensure our consultants follow ethical sales practices, and we regularly monitor and train our team to maintain our high standards.

3. How does Pampered Chef ensure that their products are of high quality?

We take great pride in the quality of our products and have a team dedicated to sourcing and testing all of our products to ensure they meet our standards. We also offer a satisfaction guarantee to our customers, where they can return any product for a full refund within 30 days if they are not completely satisfied.

4. What measures does Pampered Chef take to prevent its consultants from engaging in aggressive sales tactics?

As mentioned earlier, we have strict policies in place to ensure our consultants follow ethical sales practices. We also provide regular training and resources to our consultants on how to build genuine relationships with customers and promote our products in an authentic and respectful manner.

5. How does Pampered Chef prioritize building relationships with customers over making a sale?

At Pampered Chef, we believe in the power of building genuine relationships with our customers. We offer various cooking classes and events where our consultants can connect with customers and demonstrate our products in a fun and interactive way. We also have a strong online community where customers can engage with our consultants and share their love for our products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• susanr613
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
jenboswood
  • pamperedlinda
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
ChefGwendolyn
  • beckysuem