• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Peeling Before Grating: A Guide

In summary, it is recommended to peel tougher or waxier vegetables before grating, as the skin can affect the texture. However, for softer vegetables like zucchini, leaving the skin on is fine. When peeling, you can use a vegetable peeler, paring knife, or box grater with a peeler attachment. It is important to wash vegetables before peeling to remove any dirt or bacteria. When peeling, use caution and be aware of your fingers, and always wash your hands after handling raw vegetables.
Shari'sKitchen
Do you have to peel it before grating?

Most definitely!

yeah I figured, a friend asked, then we looked at one of the recipes and it said peeled.... thanx!

also, if you don't use it often and don't want to waste it, just peel and use what you need. Pop the rest in a ziploc in the freezer.

Emma

how funny, that part I knew. LOL

I have always peeled ginger, but my friend said she didn't. I wanted to see who was smarter... guess it's me!

Here's a tip:

You can peel ginger using the edge of a spoon. It takes off just the skin and leaves all the flesh behind. Plus, ginger is a tough shape to peel, so just running the edge of the spoon over it is safer!

Love+
Rachel

I love using the garlic press for ginger because it works with it just like with garlic. It leaves the skin in the hopper. Wonderful!

1. How do I know when to peel before grating?

Peeling before grating is usually recommended for tougher or waxier vegetables, such as carrots, potatoes, and beets. If the skin is tough or has a different texture than the flesh, it is best to peel before grating.

2. Can I leave the skin on when grating?

Yes, you can leave the skin on when grating, especially for softer vegetables like zucchini or squash. However, if you are using a recipe that calls for peeled vegetables, it is important to follow those instructions for the best results.

3. How should I peel my vegetables before grating?

There are a few different methods for peeling vegetables before grating. You can use a vegetable peeler, a paring knife, or a box grater with a peeler attachment. Choose the method that works best for you and your vegetables.

4. Do I need to wash my vegetables before peeling?

It is always a good idea to wash your vegetables before peeling or grating them. This helps remove any dirt or bacteria that may be on the surface. Even if you plan on peeling the vegetable, it is important to wash it first.

5. Are there any safety precautions when peeling before grating?

When peeling vegetables before grating, it is important to use caution and be aware of your fingers. Always hold the vegetable firmly and keep your fingers away from the blade. If using a box grater, use the safety attachment to protect your fingers. And always be sure to wash your hands after handling raw vegetables.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• straitfan
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
nancycookspc
  • Mel92504
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Mel92504
  • Meigs