• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I streamline payment from guests without burdening the hosts?

In summary, the conversation revolves around different methods of receiving payment from guests for products or services. Some prefer credit or debit cards, while others take checks and wait for them to clear. There is also discussion about the potential burden on the host if they are responsible for collecting and paying for the entire show. Ultimately, it is up to each individual to decide what method works best for them, taking into consideration factors such as convenience and potential risks.
msmileyface
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on receiving payment. I have been taking checks from guests, then depositing them all together. I have been submitting the shows quickly, before the checks clear, because it can take a long time. I'm wondering if it would be better to ask hosts to pay me in a lump sum, and have checks payable to the host. The problem I have with that is I'm afraid it might be a burden on the host. What does everyone else do? Someone told me not to submit shows until everything clears, but that could take awhile.

Thanks!
Meredith

I tell the customers that I prefer credit cards, since it saves me a trip to the bank (which is about 15 min's from the base where I live). Most pay that way. Then if there's an issue, it's resolved before the items are shipped. We do direct shipping, so I can't have the host hold their order for ransom. I've only had one check bounce in 2 years. When I called her, she went directly to the ATM, got the cash & brought it to my house. I've been pretty lucky so far!!!

I've also started telling guests that I prefer debit and credit cards, but if all they brought was their checkbook that's fine. :D

I wouldn't put the burden on the host by having her deal with checks either. If I think it's a pain, then so will they. ;) One problem with the host paying for the whole show amount is that it could put a strain on her credit card. She might have a limit that she's not aware of and then the whole show could get put on hold.

However, I do tell the host that for outside orders, it's easiest if they pay her and I just add up the amounts and add that to her payment. Her card just gets charged once. I tell them how that makes it faster for me to be able to submit their show, and people don't have to worry about mailing me something-and it saves a stamp. ;)

I take the checks and wait until they clear, which is usually 3-4 days. I always tell my host this during her host coaching.

I cash checks received at the show the next day and send the show in as soon as final payment is in my hands. Then I deposit those checks. I pay for the show with the PC credit card so there's plenty of time for the checks to clear before I get my cc bill which I pay in full each month. On the rare occasion that a check bounces I contact the guest and it has always been paid before the products get to her. If I am concerned about a particular check I take it directly to the bank it's written on.

elizabethfox said:
I take the checks and wait until they clear, which is usually 3-4 days. I always tell my host this during her host coaching.

I can't see myself doing that though, cause sometimes I'm trying to get a show submitted by the deadline for an incentive. When you have a show real close to one, it doesn't leave room to wait. I've only had 2 experiences with a check not clearing. Luckily those people were honest and I did get paid eventually. But the bank fees are crazy and one girl said she'd pay me for them, but never did. It leaves them embarrassed and then they avoid contact w/ you in the future.

So this is why I've switched to announcing that I prefer debit and credit cards for payment. It makes things much easier. A debit card is the same thing as a check. And it's better because if it doesn't clear, then they can pay with another card or something, and you don't get charged fees.

Meredith,

As you can see, everyone has their own way of dealing with payment issues. I’ve always had guests make checks payable to their host. I figure that they are less likely to write a bad check to their friend than they are to me, someone they don’t know. This has worked for nine years. I, like most, prefer cards or cash.

It’s my understanding that it takes up to two weeks (not days) for a check to clear. Perhaps that has changed now with so much more electronic information being exchanged by banks. But if that’s still correct, I can’t sit around for 2 weeks waiting for a check to clear.

babywings76 said:
I can't see myself doing that though, cause sometimes I'm trying to get a show submitted by the deadline for an incentive. When you have a show real close to one, it doesn't leave room to wait. I've only had 2 experiences with a check not clearing. Luckily those people were honest and I did get paid eventually. But the bank fees are crazy and one girl said she'd pay me for them, but never did. It leaves them embarrassed and then they avoid contact w/ you in the future.

So this is why I've switched to announcing that I prefer debit and credit cards for payment. It makes things much easier. A debit card is the same thing as a check. And it's better because if it doesn't clear, then they can pay with another card or something, and you don't get charged fees.

Exactly! I recently heard this tip: Offer a "plastic for plastic program". Have a bowl or something with small plastic things: twixit clip, pan scraper, citrus peeler.. and everyone who pays with plastic at the party gets to pick something. The host can choose for any outside order before the show. Unless the show is close by your home don't give the freebee for outside orders after the show but have them pay the host and then she can pay you.

1. How do I collect payment from my guests?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you have several options for collecting payment from your guests. You can collect payment in-person at the time of the party using cash, check, or credit/debit card. You can also set up a party link on your personal Pampered Chef website and have guests place orders and pay online. Lastly, you can place a bulk order for your guests and collect payment from them beforehand.

2. Can I accept multiple forms of payment from guests?

Yes, you can accept multiple forms of payment from your guests. If you are collecting payment in-person, you can accept cash, check, and credit/debit card. If you are using the online party link, guests can pay with a credit/debit card. If you are placing a bulk order, you can accept payment in any form agreed upon by you and your guests.

3. How do I keep track of payments from my guests?

Pampered Chef provides a handy tool called the "Guest List" where you can keep track of your guests' orders and payments. You can access this tool on your personal Pampered Chef website. Additionally, you can keep a separate record of payments in a spreadsheet or notebook to stay organized.

4. What happens if a guest's payment doesn't go through?

If a guest's payment does not go through, their order will not be processed. You can reach out to the guest to let them know and ask them to try again with a different form of payment. If the issue persists, you can contact Pampered Chef's customer service for assistance.

5. How long does it take to receive payment from guests?

If you are collecting payment in-person, you will receive payment immediately. If you are using the online party link, payments will be processed and deposited into your bank account within 7-10 business days. If you are placing a bulk order, you will receive payment from your guests beforehand.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• luvtocook
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
missmindym
  • lindsaym
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • susan g