• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling with Booking Guests and Businesses - Any Tips?

In summary, the conversation is about a new consultant struggling with making phone calls to follow up on potential bookings and referrals. The expert advises to focus on helping customers and offering bonuses or discounts instead of soliciting. They also suggest using specific dates and products to entice customers and emphasize the importance of following up with customers to maintain a positive image and prevent potential problems. Lastly, they recommend a workbook by Karen Phelps for more guidance.
heat123
Silver Member
I still consider myself a newbie (starting my ss3 this month). To those veterans or any one with advice suggestions. I am winding down from my cirlce of friends and family. From my first 13 shows I have booked only 5 solid shows and a handful of "maybe after the holidays". Well the holidays are past and now I am trying to overcome my fear or hesitation to call those "maybes" to turn them into "yes I will book" responses. I have yet to pick up the phone to call the past guests for CC calls. I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT STAND phone solicitors or door knockers so I am having a hard time motivating my self to call them to get them to change their minds in fear of bothering them, the way I am bothered when I get calls. :(

I am also having a hard time pushing myself to solicit businesses like Realestate offices, or wherever. I want my business to grow but am finding this stumbling road block! :eek:

can anyone give me some pointers, advice, suggestions on how to overcome this problem?? :confused:

long...First of all take yourself out of the picture. It's not about you it is about your customers. When you make your phone calls try to think of it as you are calling them to offer your help. Do they enjoy the products they purchased, do they have any questions, do they need a new recipe or helpful hint for that product.

Don't think of the call as you are trying to get something(you are not soliciting, if they marked maybe on their slip they gave you permission to call them). For instance, Hosting a show is a win/win situation. The host is receiving free or discounted products for giving you the opportunity to show your wares and meet new people. You both win.

When talking to your customers remember to not use the words "so would you like to host a Show?" It gives them an easy out. Rather ask for a referral. If you don't have a referal bonus, make one up such as 10% off their order at the referals Show, or $5 off any one product. Ask "Do you know of anyone who would like to receive free and discounted products?". That person might just be themselves. Let them know of your referal bonus.

Or you could say, "I have a couple bonus days on my schedule this month and I thought of you, would you be interested in earning 50% more in free product? My bonus days are Friday, Jan 13 and Wed. Jan.18th."

If the person has filled out a Wish List, you could say, "I noticed you have such and such on your Wish List. How would you like to receive that product for $$(if it's a higher price item you would refer to the 1/2 price option) or for free(if it's a lower price item). I have Friday, Jan. 13 and Wed. Jan. 18th available, which date works best for you?"

Don't forget that when you start your call, ask their permission to speak, "Do you have a few minutes to talk?", or "Is this a good time?" Then when the call is over don't forget to thank them for their time.

Many of our customers are shy about calling you if they have a problem, it's easier to tell their friends or the Host. When you call them it makes them feel special and that you care. If you don't call them and they have a problem it could come back to haunt you or the company name in general.

There are many stories out there about people who purchased a product and either forgot why they purchased it or don't know how to use it and then they never buy again because they don't see the value in their purchase and no one followed up.

I have been in this business a long time and like you I hated to get on the phone and made every excuse I could think of. Then when I learned it wasn't about me, it was about my customers I picked up the phone and watched my shows, attendance and business grow.

Remember the phone is your direct line to $$. The more you make it your friend the more your business will grow. So put a smile on your face, get up and get moving and dial those numbers.

Good luck,
Kimberly

Last edited:
It's me again...As I re-read your post I realized that the people you are wanting to call are maybe's. I just purchase a bunch of material from Karen Phelps(www.karenphelps.com) and in her workbook "It's a Party Out There", she mentions her "Maybe Later" list. When people aren't interested in booking right now you ask if you can put them on your maybe later list. Tell them you will call them when you have an opening in your calendar and only call them three times and if after the third time they aren't intersted you don't bother them again.

I have never used this before but am planning on implimenting it. Karen says that usually on that third call people will ask you to call them again. I have felt in the past that I was harrassing people that kept saying maybe later. This idea makes good business sense.

Also, you could work this into the conversations I mentioned above. If someone says not right now, tell them about the maybe later list. Then keep track of the person's name, # and the dates you called them.

Good luck,
Kimberly

I have found that when someone is not willing to set a date with me at a show they're attending, I can usually get a "yes" from them if I ask if I can call them at another time. For example, many people have mentioned a month they are interested in having a SHow in, like March. So I ask them if it's okay if I call them the month or two before. They always say yes (because I guess they feel it gets them off the hook for the night), and I don't feel uncomfortable calling them at a later time because they said it was okay. I've gotten quite a few bookings this way! I have to admit that I still struggle with making out-of-the-blue calls if I haven't spoken to the person already. That's one of my goals for this year! :D

Julie Myers
Denver, PA

A goal for this yearI have been doing this rather inconsistently for almost 12 years! And I can honestly say--if you pick up the phone the business will come.

With that said however, I still have the "fear factor" that I am bothering them too, mostly because I hate those sales calls! I actually just had a long talk with my hubby about this because it is one of my New Years Goals, to get into my "uncomfortable zone" and to take me out of the picture. I am offering a service, good customer service (which ironically I have always thought I excelled at in my "office jobs"!!) and if I don't get off my tush and make the calls, somebody else will!!!!

Good luck to you all!

ange

I am with you HeatherI am scared out of my mind to make those calls. Right now I am really trying to book up Febuary because it's double points month. So I decided to go back through my slips to see if I could drum up some bookings. I called a lady that I got a slip from our pumpkin fest in October and she booked. I have been on cloud 9 for the last 10 minutes. I am already up to 4 shows and still want more. That gave me the courage to make a few more customer calls.
I just had to share my excitement!!!!!!!!!! :D

I know what I have to do...If I could muster up the courage to start PC (when I had a COMPLETE fear of public speaking and presentations before starting) I know I have to and can get over this phone phobia!

If all that you wonderful people are saying is true the "phone is a friend" and your business can only grow from it -I know it needs to be done! Plus I just found out I may need to get a job with my husband starting off his new business. I would much rather make the extra income doing PC than actually finding a night shift job! I need to start booking 4-6 solid parties each month to get a steady $ flow to help with the bills.

thanks for all you words of encouragement! ;)

I too have a massive phone phobia.. I can yabber on the phone all day long when it's with my mom, or a friend. But when it comes to PC, it's like the phone is going to bite me or something!! I've found that I become a little more at ease when I'm keeping my hands busy doing thoughtless work. For instance, if I dial up a number and then sit down at a basket of laundry or scrub the kitchen counter, I start to get more at ease.. I'm not sure exactly why, but it works for me. I keep the person's information right at my fingertips, so that I know who I'm calling and why, and to take notes if they book or whatnot. Once I get into the groove of the call, I can kick my feet up onto the couch or just sit down and feel at ease and confident.

Now, I'm no phone pro, nor have I fully conquered my phobia, but my most successful phone calls come with doing this. And a bonus aside from getting better at making phone calls for my biz---> killing 2 birds with one stone and getting my housework done while I work! Hey, for just that reason, it's worth a try, right?!

my plan-goal...Ok baby steps, to start off I am going to make my calls either in the morning or afternoon when I'd most likely get answering machines (and while baby is napping). That way I can get comfortable doing it to begin with then get enough courage ( once I am cofortable) to start make evening calls when they'd probably be home. Picking up the phone is the biggest challenge for me, I think! I am going to find some good scripts to use I found on these threads and start this customer care thing and follow up on those maybes to bookings! All it can do is better my business and help me through my personal challenge and growth (which is one of the reasons I signed with PC to begin with) personal and professional growth!

~thanks for your helpful and undstanding words of advice~! :eek:

I, too, am starting SS3 and you're doing AWESOME (which is my way of saying you've done a lot better than I have.) I have called every person I have a number for (didn't get contact info for outside orders) to ask if they like their products. I haven't gotten any bookings but have gotten only positive response. Two people had questions about their products and one needed an additional product she forgot to order.

Many I called at home during the week so I just left a message. Maybe you could start at a time you think they WON't be home and then you aren't bothering them. That may not be the best way to look at it but once you do that, then you could work to calling when they would be home.

Good luck....BEE

right there with yaI'm sooo right there with you. I absolutely despise picking up the phone for PC business. I've tried to overcome my fear, but it seems like every time I try, it's unsuccessful.

I've been in the business for 7 months, and I'm in a booking rut myself. I have NO shows lined up for January, and I've got a few potentials for the spring. It's awful. I DID get out of my comfort zone and call a few leads this w-end, but no one bit. That's what makes it harder and harder to pick up the phone.

Anyway, just know you aren't alone.
Sherrie
Independent Kitchen Consultant
www.pamperedchef.biz/spoiledchef
[email protected]

I'm trying!I got all pumped and psyched last night as I typed a script based on other threads I have seen here. I read it and re-read it and thought it sounded great for a machine to hear! ;) but that was last night, today I have that same butterflies in my stomach feeling just thinking about phone calls! I promised my self I would start this monday! Let's see if I actually can do it? Just a couple to start with maybe 2 or 3 a day until I get through my whole customer base? Which shouldn't take too long maybe a couple weeks to finish??

Good luck to all those who are in the same boat! :D

Yeay- I Did IT!Well after all the talking and procrastinating I finally made my first round of CC calls. Granted I did it when I knew no one would be home but I left a message for them and that's a very big step for me! Once I can get comfortable talking to a machine maybe I can step up and call them at night when they will be home and talk to them in person rather than machine! I feel good about doing it. At least I picked up the phone and made an effort! Next hurdle is to call them at the right time!

Just thought I'd share!

Thanks for all your support! Good luck to those who struggle with this like me!

When is everyone's CC call time at? I've tried the range of 5p-8pm and I've always come up with people ranting at me for calling me "at this hour!".. So I ask if there is a better time to call and they say "yea, Tuesday night.".. and then I call then and it's another ranting! I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it's really frustrating. If I leave messages on peoples' answering machines, they never call me back anyway. Am I doing something wrong?

Amanda: There is NEVER the "best" time to call because everyone has such different times. I've been trying to time it based on the host and her predictable schedule. So for the moms of young kids, I never call during naptime or the "witching hour." For working women, I call between 7-9. For retirees, during the day. You never know someone's schedule but usually like-scheduled moms attend the same party. Also, my director says Sunday evenings everyone is home and that's a good time, but personally, I think Sundays are family time and I would resent a call. Go figure....BEE

What exactly is "Getting Over the Fear Factor!"?

"Getting Over the Fear Factor!" is a workshop offered by Pampered Chef to help individuals overcome their fear of cooking and become more confident in the kitchen.

Who can benefit from "Getting Over the Fear Factor!"?

This workshop is perfect for anyone who wants to improve their cooking skills and gain more confidence in the kitchen. It is suitable for beginners as well as more experienced cooks who want to expand their repertoire.

What can I expect to learn in "Getting Over the Fear Factor!"?

In this workshop, you will learn basic cooking techniques, meal planning strategies, and tips for overcoming common fears and obstacles in the kitchen. You will also get hands-on experience preparing delicious and easy recipes.

How long is the "Getting Over the Fear Factor!" workshop?

The workshop typically lasts 2-3 hours, depending on the size of the group and the number of recipes being prepared. However, we also offer shorter versions of the workshop for those with limited time.

Do I need any prior cooking experience to attend "Getting Over the Fear Factor!"?

No prior cooking experience is necessary to attend this workshop. Our goal is to help individuals of all skill levels feel more comfortable and confident in the kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Humble Beginnings
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Humble Beginnings
  • RoseAndrews
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
RoseAndrews
  • wcsis