• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Overcoming Discouragement in Direct Sales: My 6-Year Journey to Success

In summary, the author has been doing this for more than 6 years, did not recruit anyone for his first 2 years, but stepped up his business in 2008 and promoted to director in 2009. In 2010, he grossed $20K. He is discouraged because he does not think he will make the money he wants and he has a PhD in microbiology. He is considering going back to science and does not want to be on a sales team. He does 8-11 shows a month and recruits 12 people a year. His leads do not pan out and he fears he has been pushy with them.
cookingwithlove
Gold Member
I have been doing this for more than 6 years. I did not recruit anyone for my first 2 years, because I did not know any better. I stepped up my business March of 2008. I promoted to director March 2009 and here I stay. My youngest starts school this September and I always said I wanted to be making $36K by that time. I am so not close to this. I grossed $20K in 2010. While my business increased each year, I don't think it will get to the level I want. I have my PhD in microbiology and I am debating going back to science. I have been out of the science world for almost 8 years and my biggest concern is there is no flexibility and I love being here from my kids. Plus, my husband is in sales and we had a bad paycheck this month and slated for another bad one next. My host for tonight called this morning to cancel. She has a legitamate reason, but it is still a let down. I wanted the double points.

For those of you making the kind of money I want, how long did it take? I have a very weak team and nobody does 4 parties a month consistantly. I am just so discouraged. I want this so bad I can taste it, but it is just not happening. Am I being to impatient?

I made 32,000 last year plus 7,000 more in free products, trip etc. I did exactly 100 shows last year myself. My personal team is close to 80 people and I have a 1st & a 2nd gen director. About 50% of my income comes from my personal sales and about 50% my team. I will celebrate my 5th anniversary in August. I started recruiting in March 2009. You can do it, but recruiting is the key in my opinion. You get to a point where you can not do more shows for yourself. Your personal show average can only be so high... but basically the team is unlimited. What recruiting activity do you do at your shows? How many shows a month do you do for yourself?

I believe whole heartedly in recruiting. I do between 8 and 11 shows a month. At a perfect show, I have talked to the host during our host coaching and gotten and idea if this is something she would like to try. If it is something she is interested in, then I field questions and see if she would like to sign before her party. If she does I turn it into a grand opening. In most cases, my hosts are interested but not ready to commit. At the party, I try to sprinkle the seeds throughout. I show a product and talk about how it comes in the kit. At some point in the demo, we turn to page 63 with the new consultant kit and I talk about how this is the best deal in the catalog. How for $155 the get over $500 worth in products. I'll say, you may have the food chopper or the large bar pan on your wishlist. OR even our executive cookware. If this is the case why not give our business a try and see if this is right for you? I then say something like most of our consultants were where you are right now. They were guest or hosts of a party and never thought about becoming Pampered Chef. This was true for me too and I give a very brief discription of how/why I got started. I then say, so now you all get a chance to get very nosey about my business and you can ask me any question you want. I then do the ticket game.

I get leads, and I recruited 12 in 2010, but most of my leads do not pan out and most of those I have signed are not workers. I have a notebook full of leads and I fear that I have gotten too pushy with them. I just don't know how to get from maybes to yes's and I don't know how to motivate the team I have.

Sounds like you are doing the right things and your numbers are on track for 3,2,1. I do a meeting every Tuesday morning at 10 at my house. For me this keeps me on track for my business but also keeps the ones that want to work on track as well. Having the weekly contact for a few hours builds a connection to me with them. I can ask them every week what is going on, if they have recruit leads they can bring them to the meeting etc. Also, ask yourself why you are recruiting people who aren't workers??? Is it something in how you present the business? Something in how you support your team? I don't have the right answer, just things to look at. I know a director who felt like she had a team of very needy, whiny, no motivated people. And she did. I asked her how she ended up with a team of people like that. She came to realize it was something in the way she recruited and supported her team. She is a "fixer" motherly type and the people on her team were looking for that type of person to fullfill something missing in their lives... they needed her more than the business! Just thoughts

Cookngwithlove so sorry this is challenging to you but soooo glad that you are coming here for support and advice.

Not sure I can help but I must say that Jenni hit the nail on the head when she said that if you want more income..you need to recruit and I applaud what you are doing now. Don't stop doing it but try to expand on what you are doing and hone your skills. Do you have a strong person in your upline and not just your immediate upline...think Executive Level and up? I do and tapping into this level helps.

At one point I wanted to retire early and do PC full time, but I am single with no one else to depend on if things did not work out but a few things that I took with me is that to make a real good income, you need to be at the Sr. Director level and up. I am at AD and am able to maintain that. My personal business can be more flexible as long as my downline is consistant.

And the other saying I have heard but am not able to replicate is..."if I want to be a (fill in the level) then I have to start acting like a (fill in the level)."
I will say that I have a very strong upline that reachs down below levels that they are earning on and has been able to set up on going training.

Ultimately, you do have to decide, but if you want to maintain the flexibility, you already have the foundation. Just keep working and building...it will come.

Jenni, I value your words because you keep looking at obstacles as challenges and not defeat. In doing so, you are learning to work through those challenges and meet them head on.

Ann, I never realized I do that, but you are right! I do look at everything like a challenge, because I know nothing is permanent or set in stone. We can all learn from ourselves and others and ANYTHING is possible if you are willing to do the work, make the sacrifice, prolong your reward because you know it is coming. I laughingly say that I am a NE I just havent recruited enough people to have the title yet... but I know it will come IF I choose to make it happen. It might take years, but I am willing to do the work required and so can everyone else!

Synopsis (for those who don't like to read long posts): A strong start = a successful start. The more you help a new recruit in that first 30 days with trying to achieve or surpass the requirements to qualify, the more motivated they will be, the more active they are likely to be and you'll begin to see more longevity with the consultants on your team.

- - - - -

And for those of you who want more details ...

I'm not there in pay yet either, but I know that I'm going to have to step up my own show schedule to see that happen! LOL I just counted, I did 16 cooking shows before leaving Okinawa in June. The military kept pushing back our move date, so I was giving away shows, then having to fill my calendar again, then giving away shows, then having to fill my calendar again. The beginning of the year would have been better if it had not been for giving away all my shows 3 times in the first 6 months!!! Starting up again here on this tiny military base has not been so easy. I've only had 3 shows here, but 1 recruit out of it (she would have been a 4th show). So 19 shows in 2010 and (my first time trying) I earned my 1st trip. I had just started recruiting the last quarter of 2009, so I started 2010 with 3 in my downline and ended the year with 45 in my downline. Because of the overrides, I ended up making $13,372.43 for the year with $960.44 in other incentives. Not too bad considering I was working the business VERY part-time!!!

Here's what I do & why (maybe something will be a huge "ah ha" moment for someone ;)):
  • I don't talk anyone into the business. I give the info, send them home to review it (I never sign them on the spot) and make sure that they are making a well informed decision.
  • I don't do the application for them. If they aren't mature enough & have the follow through to get online at home & do the application, then they are probably going to be a waste of my time.
  • I'm NOT going to do it for them. I will do what I can to give them a good start, but the business is up to them. I can't make it happen for them. At some point, they have to take what they've learned from me, my upline, the online training videos, etc & apply the knowledge. Of course questions will still arise & I'm more than happy to help them at any time that they have something pop up, but as far as doing the business for them (going with them to all their shows, giving them sales, etc.), it's not going to happen. I do go with them to their first show for some "on the job" training. They get to keep that first show as THEIR first show & they get all the bookings off the show to help them get their new business up & off the ground.
  • I encourage them to set THEIR goals & do what they want with the business. If my recruiter had pushed me to recruit when I first signed, I'd have quit. I respect what they want & am willing to support them in achieving the goals that they have set for their own business.
  • I offer additional training, but don't push them to attend/call in for it. If they want to do what it takes to improve their business, I'm more than happy to help. But I'm not going to beg or plead with them to come. ;)
  • I show them a breakdown of what I'd have made the last few months. This is VERY important in motivating them! Actually seeing the difference in a real person's paycheck makes them want it. I'm not some unattainable person that they saw up on stage at conference. They see me right there in front of them, know when I started my business, know that I chose not to recruit for my first 17 months & know where recruiting got me & how fast it got me there! On the breakdown, I actually show the various levels of pay for each of the last few months.
    [*]Consultant
    [*]Consultant with $15,000 in Career Sales
    [*]Senior Consultant
    [*]Team Leader
    [*]Director
    [*](and now) Advanced Director​

We have had a few leave the team, but not very many!
  • #1 (2nd line) was having a VERY high risk pregnancy, packed up & left Japan to move back home with her Mom.
  • #2 (3rd line) got pregnant with baby #3 and just disappeared, not returning my calls or her recruiter's calls.
  • #3 (the only one of my personal recruits to have quit) now has baby #2 is working on a military move. Her move dates have been crazy too. She said she wants to re-sign when they get moved & that she definitely wants to be back on the team. Life has just been crazy.
  • #4 (2nd line) never really did anything from the beginning & just disappeared.

So of the 51 who have now joined my team, 4 have left and we currently have 47 on the roster. I haven't seen the "1/3 coming, 1/3 staying & 1/3 going" theory yet. I'd also love to see all of them active every single month, but it hasn't happened yet. But we do have enough active that the team has been thriving. Karen (one of the 3 who started 2010 on the team) promoted to Director on Jan 1st. Annastasia (who joined in Feb '10) promoted to Director Feb 1st. 18 months ago I was a Consultant with her first recruit. As of Jan, I'm now an AD. I'm sure others have done it faster, but I'm happy with that pace. :D I'm actually hoping to see SD by summer and (((fingers crossed))) would LOVE to hit ED by the end of the year!

Your show schedule looks awesome! Now work on getting the new team members off to a very successful start & I think you'll get to where you want to be in pay! ;)

Thank you all for your great and insightful words. PCJenni I love that you make me think about what it is I am doing. I know there are ways to improve and sometimes I do get lazy. I still have young children, one is not in school yet. So I find it hard to do too many trainings at my house. I do additional trainings via Team Conference Calls, but through the holidays nobody called in. Sheila you always have good advice to give. I admire that your team members have stayed for so long. I definitely see the 1/3 rule in my team. Just for the record though, do not discount those who do not get off to a strong start. I started 6 years ago in a town with no family and literally 4 friends. It was a very slow start, but I was motivated to do it, but under the currently plan, I would not have qualified in 30 day. Sheila, I do like that you do not hand hold the recruit when they sign. My director says you need to have the attitude that it is no big deal if they don't sign. I try to maintain this, but I get disappointed when someone seems so close and they just don't. Baychef, I do have a fabulous director. She is an NED and always has time for me, but lately I feel like I am the whiner and I wanted to give her a break. Sometimes it is good to get advice from people closer to your own level and who are in the trenches so to speak. Her biggest words of advice is "be patient and lead by example." Keep doing what you are doing and you will get where you want to be. I am reflecting upon my business, and January and February are probably my hardest months. Plus, the stress of my husband's business. With taxes looming, it all starts to weigh on me. While I maintain a strong show schedule my team does not. To give them credit, they are just not looking for the same things I am. Most of them are part timers and are happy being so. I keep waiting for that one great consultant who has the drive to do more.

On the bright side I had 2 parties yesterday and one today. I have 3 very strong leads, one a host, one a guest and one of the SL workers.

Thank you everyone!

Thanks Wendy. And remember, using the "stick of gum" outlook really helps. If you see offereing the business opportunity like offering a piece of gum, you'll relax and you'll accept the no answers more easily. If you offer a stick of gum to someone and they say no, you don't get upset or have your feelings hurt, right? It's the same thing here! It's okay if they don't want the business opportunity at all or if they just don't want it right now. The next person might say yes! And if you force that stick of gum on someone who doesn't want it, they won't enjoy it or chew it as long as someone who's mouth started watering at the thought of gum. You have to learn to be okay with the ones who say no. Someone else who does want the business is right around the corner, more motivated and will work harder at their business. I do have some on my team who started off slower. Heck I was also one who started off slower. But when they are facing the extra challenges of wondering how to get the next show, they are more likely to throw in the towel. If they start off with their own sales & bookings to keep that snowball rolling downhill & growing larger, they are more likely to succeed. If they have to start the snowball 3 or 4 times in the first year and are having to go uphill, they are more likely to decide it's not worth and quit. The ones who qualify with their very first show, walk away with the new Consultant Kit (that they bought outright), the paycheck (which reimbursed them for the New Consultant Kit + some) AND all the cool things that they got with Host Benefits ... AND bookings ... will do better. It's inevitable! They'll have the bug, want more & do what it takes to get more. :D It doesn't mean that they will never quit. Life does happen. My past employment experience taught me that people who feel comfortable with what they are doing & know that they are good at what they do are happy. Happy people stick with their jobs/careers longer. People who received inadequate training, struggle from day-to-day and are constantly having to be reprimanded at work are unhappy and ready for an escape the first chance that they get. It's the same with PC. Happy consultants = long term consultants. But the best way to make them happy is to provide the knowledge to help them succeed. Make sure they are well versed in the New Consultant Rewards, that you've given them a good synopsis of your knowledge, that they are aware of the online training & that you are encouraging them to do the online training and that they are being recognized for their achievements. I do a monthly team recognition e-mail now. I didn't in the beginning, but certainly do it now! Not all the girls like or desire to compete with others on the team, but some really like having that motivation to do better than another team member.

My personal roadblock right now is getting more shows on my calendar! LOL I MUST do it. I want 4-8 shows per month. But when I start doing more shows, I starting getting more recruit leads which since I give them their first show and the bookings off their shows it means that I'm not doing as many shows as I would have done. But in the long run, having the team and the overrides makes is ALL worthwhile!!! :D I love that even if I only do 1 show a month (still hitting my minimum to be paid-as a Director) that I'll still make over $1,000 because of team overrides. :D

Sheila said:
I love that even if I only do 1 show a month (still hitting my minimum to be paid-as a Director) that I'll still make over $1,000 because of team overrides. :D

So jealous! I work harder, not smarter, as I have a team that never wants to submit and when they do, they are a team of "one show per month" so the overrides aren't worth even talking about. I'll go to bed drooling over your commission. :) (I know the key is to keep recruiting but I don't do well in that area (I do great at getting no's but its been almost a year for the yes to come in...) so until then, I'll just keep working my duff off. :)

Melissa, for me the change happened & the recruits started coming when I finally started doing the Full Service Checkout AND started using the Booking/Recruiting slide. I made the change & started doing both in Jan of 2010.

Yes, I'm very much into passive income. This isn't 100% passive, because I do keep in contact with the team to answer questions, trainings, etc. But it's less work for me and, when I do get to the point where I'm doing more personal shows per month, it's still extra money on my monthly checks that I wouldn't have if I didn't have a team. By showing that to them, it's been a huge encouragement for them to recruit, build a team and increase their paycheck without being forced to increase their show schedule. :D

My SD said "think wide & deep" enough times that it sunk in. I really do strive to have the extras where I need them so that ONE person doesn't turn the whole thing upside down. Karen & Annastasia have extras too. ;)

Yippee, had a show tonight ($150 in sales), but the host and her friend signed up. One under the other! I am so excited!

cookingwithlove said:
Yippee, had a show tonight ($150 in sales), but the host and her friend signed up. One under the other! I am so excited!
That's awesome!!! Congratulations!

Congratulations!!! :D

Sheila said:
Melissa, for me the change happened & the recruits started coming when I finally started doing the Full Service Checkout AND started using the Booking/Recruiting slide. I made the change & started doing both in Jan of 2010.

Yes, I'm very much into passive income. This isn't 100% passive, because I do keep in contact with the team to answer questions, trainings, etc. But it's less work for me and, when I do get to the point where I'm doing more personal shows per month, it's still extra money on my monthly checks that I wouldn't have if I didn't have a team. By showing that to them, it's been a huge encouragement for them to recruit, build a team and increase their paycheck without being forced to increase their show schedule. :D

My SD said "think wide & deep" enough times that it sunk in. I really do strive to have the extras where I need them so that ONE person doesn't turn the whole thing upside down. Karen & Annastasia have extras too. ;)

I have never had extra's. Always bare minimums which is why I don't reap the benefits very often. Since my first show I have always used the slide and do the FSCO and even the ticket activity for the last year. Just doesn't really get me anywhere other than a lot of no's and very low self esteem after all the constant rejection when others get yes's. So eventually I stop b/c at least I feel better about myself and get the same results. (Stick of gum or bottle of ketchup, contstant no's still deflate the esteem IMO espec ;) when you have cluster mates or emails that only brag about their sucess.)

I'd love to share my paychecks with my team but it wouldn't be very motivational b/c they don't submit enough and it shows that its all me and not worth the recruiting (to them) for the work involved. One one girl on the team wants to recruit, the others don't even ask b/c they say "I want nothing to do with it. I want my one show a month and thats it." Its quite discouraging when they are right - its not worth it if going by my paychecks because they see how much I do for them and how little I reap.

I try to remember Nancy Jo Ryan's line, "If you can't change your team, change your team." Just a VERY slow process for me since recruiting is not a strength....actually the word weakness is an understatement.

Glad I have a high show sales average. That's my positive that keeps my business in business. :)

cookingwithlove said:

Wahoo! Way to make lemonade!

Melissa, I'd be more than happy to do a one-on-one call with you. PM me if you are interested. Other than time, it won't cost you a penny! ;)

1. How can I stay motivated when I feel discouraged in my Pampered Chef business?

It's normal to feel discouraged at times, but it's important to remember your "why" and the reasons why you joined Pampered Chef. Also, try setting smaller, achievable goals to help you stay motivated. Surround yourself with a supportive community of fellow consultants who can offer encouragement and advice.

2. What should I do if I'm not seeing the results I want and it's making me feel discouraged?

First, evaluate your current strategies and see if there are any areas that can be improved upon. Consider reaching out to your mentor or attending training events to learn new techniques and strategies. Remember, success takes time and effort, so don't be too hard on yourself.

3. How can I bounce back from a setback or disappointment in my Pampered Chef business?

Setbacks and disappointments are a part of any business, but it's important to not let them discourage you. Take some time to reflect on what went wrong and see if there are any lessons you can learn from the experience. Then, make a plan to move forward and stay determined.

4. What can I do to maintain a positive attitude when facing challenges in my business?

One way to maintain a positive attitude is to practice gratitude. Take a moment each day to reflect on the things you are grateful for in your Pampered Chef business. Also, try to see challenges as opportunities to learn and grow, rather than roadblocks.

5. How can I overcome self-doubt and negative thoughts when it comes to my Pampered Chef business?

Remember that self-doubt is a common struggle for many entrepreneurs. One way to combat negative thoughts is to practice positive self-talk. Remind yourself of your strengths and past successes. Also, surround yourself with positive and supportive people who can help boost your confidence.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sassypip
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
sassypip
  • Nanisu
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
ChefVee
  • lisasfuncooking