• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Responding to Request to Combine Shows: Tactfully Saying 'No

In summary, Michelle is asking Sandra if she would like Michelle to put her items out for people to look at and order from. Sandra is deciding whether or not to respond and asks Michelle what she thinks. Michelle says that it sounds like Michelle is being opportunistic and if the email is sendable. Michelle says that it is and they can talk more about it when Michelle gets a chance.
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
How do I tactfully give this lady a 'no'. Everytime I go to write a response I sound a bit snippy. I want to get her to undestand that it is in her best interests to NOT combine the shows! I would like to respond to her today since I've been out of touch for over a week (on vacation) and she sent her email on th 28th.

Her is her email:

Hey Sandra,
I wanted to check with you before hand – would you mind if I had a Silpada Jewelry Rep put her stuff out for everyone to look at along with her catalog and order forms? I have a friend a little down on her luck right now that sells Silpada and thought it might be a nice thing for her to do. She is very low key and would not interfere with your demonstrations.

Thanks Guys!

You might call her instead. Ultimately it is her decision. But, you can let her know that she really isn't helping herself or her friend when she combines two vendors. People come to shows knowing basically what they plan to spend and usually stick to it (or book a show:)).

How was the cruise?

Tell her that it is your experience that guests plan so much that they can spend when they go to a party. It would be better for the jewelry rep is she held a separate gathering for that product line - and the host would have better shows - both her PC and jewelry would be hurt by this.

So far here is what I've come up with:

Hi Michelle,

I'm sorry that I'm just now getting back with you. My husband and I were away and just got back home last night. I've been sifting through my emails this afternoon.

I hope you and your family were able to celebrate a wonderful Christmas together (or other holiday you may celebrate)! I know that you've noticed that there are no postcard invitations in the packet I mailed you. The invitations that I've attached are personalized and you can print as many as you need. I see that you've already started inviting your friends. That's great!! Try to invite at least 40 people because many will be unable to attend. If you find that you are struggling with coming up with that many names beg...um...,er ask your friends to bring friends with them!

I have been thinking about your friend quite a bit since I read your email. I read it last night and have been thinking on it ever since. To be honest combined parties just don't do as well for the host or the consultant. I hate to disappoint your friend, but maybe she would like to talk with me about starting with The Pampered Chef. Even in a down economy people have to eat. Our products make preparing family meals easier and therefore, more enjoyable. Everybody eats! Whether or not you like to cook. It is not expensive to join, only $155 and it is not hard to maintain consultant status (she'll know what I mean by that). I would love to speak with her about this

What do you think? Does it sound too opportunistic? Is this email sendable?

pamperedlinda said:
You might call her instead. Ultimately it is her decision. But, you can let her know that she really isn't helping herself or her friend when she combines two vendors. People come to shows knowing basically what they plan to spend and usually stick to it (or book a show:)).

How was the cruise?

The cruise was GREAT! It took a day or so before my husband and I decided that we didn't have to stick together the entire time. He just wanted to sit at the lounge bar and listen to the singer. I wanted to roam around and join in the activites that they did. Every night I would take the activity sheet for the next day and plot out what I wanted to do. He would just roll his eyes at me. Man, I wanted to really take advantage of everything they offered...for FREE! I was a little shocked at how much stuff wasn't included and how money driven it all was. It was a little hard to enjoy ourselves when we were constantly bombarded with someone asking if we wanted to buy a cocktail or get our picture taken.

We had fun though. We went snorkelin in St. Thomas. It was the first time for both of us. That was soooo fun!! The water was clear. There were sea turtles that swam right up next to us. My husband saw a stingray! I spent one whole day pretty much drunk from lunch till bedtime! i only had 2 drinks!! HaHa!! I'm a lightweight! LOL!! That's really the only time you can do that. No kids, no driving, no work!! Party on!!

Oh...I am so envious of your cruise!!!! Sounds like you both had a fantastic time!

Realize that this is all everyone's interpretation! I really like your letter, but I would also play up how it would benefit her friend to have a Silpada party on a different day before offering the PC opportunity via the host. I think it would be more effective if you appeared to be supportive of her friend's Silpada business such as doing this: Ask your host to invite the rep to the PC party and then deal directly with the Silpada person when offering the PC opportunity. Then when you offer the opportunity, you can offer the host as one of her first bookings. Your host would not be as effective in recruiting her as you would.

Just my 2 cents, but love to hear other's perspectives! You write a very nice letter!

baychef said:
Oh...I am so envious of your cruise!!!! Sounds like you both had a fantastic time!

Realize that this is all everyone's interpretation! I really like your letter, but I would also play up how it would benefit her friend to have a Silpada party on a different day before offering the PC opportunity via the host. I think it would be more effective if you appeared to be supportive of her friend's Silpada business such as doing this: Ask your host to invite the rep to the PC party and then deal directly with the Silpada person when offering the PC opportunity. Then when you offer the opportunity, you can offer the host as one of her first bookings. Your host would not be as effective in recruiting her as you would.

Just my 2 cents, but love to hear other's perspectives! You write a very nice letter!

I agree with Ann. Suggest a different day for the jewelry party and suggest she invite the consultant to your party - tell her that she'll enjoy the night out and I might even point out that she doesn't have to buy...

That is great, Beth!

Oops!! I got impatient and sent it as is. I hope she's not offended! I thought about asking her to schedule the jewelry thing on a different day, but then changed my mind. I thought she would feel more loyalty to her friend and keep the jewelry on that day for her and ditch me. Selfish I know!! We'll see what happens. I tweaked it a bit. I'll let you know what she says. Here is what I sent after edits (editting in bold):

I have been thinking about your friend quite a bit since I read your email. I read it last night and have been thinking on it ever since. To be honest, combined parties just don't do as well for the host or the consultant. Your invited friends will come with a budget in mind. If they see 2 places to put that mony then the sales become split. So, instead of a $600 Pampered Chef or Silpada party you end up with only a $300 or less party. Do you get what I'm saying? I hate to disappoint your friend, but maybe she would like to talk with me about starting with The Pampered Chef. Even in a down economy people have to eat. Our products make preparing family meals easier and therefore, more enjoyable. Everybody eats! Whether or not you like to cook. It is not expensive to join, only $155 and it is not hard to maintain consultant status (she'll know what I mean by that). I would love to speak with her about this.

I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but I hope you can understand. Please let me know if you would like to discuss it further.

I am a bit nervous. I don't want her to be pissed of at me!! I hope she's okay with that!

You did fine. If she is p.o.'d well so be it. I have a friend that does TS and she booked a party with me. Little did she tell me..she was doing a TS open house DURING my party. And the Party Lite lady brought her order and some came just to pick up their order. I was quite disappointed and have not asked her for another party even though I place small TS orders with her.

Needless to say the party stunk and because she is also a friend, I did a little extra for her as I usually do. No income that day!!:(

Ann - that is just cold! I came across a MK consultant who was trained to go to every PC party she could find (invited to, asked friends if they knew of one, etc) so she could either wiggle her way in and do a combo show or show off her wares DURING the show! I regularly wear PC clothes and my only bags are PC bags...if someone approaches me during a show I am attending, I ask them if we can chat afterwards. Have some tact!

Here is her reply:

No problem with the Silpada rep, I hadn’t mentioned anything about it to her until I heard from you. I understand what you are saying but I was approached by my sister-in-law who lives across the street from her about it. I’ll just say it didn’t work out and leave it at that.

I am getting excited about the show. I keep racking my brain to come up with people to invite. I am really hoping for a good turnout. I think I might even have people driving in from Houston for this. Yeah!

If you can just give me a heads up in a week or so as to what foods we will be preparing in the demonstration it would help. Then I can map out what other foods and beverages I want to fix before hand for guests to enjoy. Trust me, they expect nothing less than several different and interesting food samplings from me. I sorta have a reputation to maintain J

So, I guess I was stressed for nothing. That happens!:p

Glad it worked out! Make sure to have your host point out the Silpada gal at the show!

Chef Kearns said:
Here is her reply:

No problem with the Silpada rep, I hadn’t mentioned anything about it to her until I heard from you. I understand what you are saying but I was approached by my sister-in-law who lives across the street from her about it. I’ll just say it didn’t work out and leave it at that.

I am getting excited about the show. I keep racking my brain to come up with people to invite. I am really hoping for a good turnout. I think I might even have people driving in from Houston for this. Yeah!

If you can just give me a heads up in a week or so as to what foods we will be preparing in the demonstration it would help. Then I can map out what other foods and beverages I want to fix before hand for guests to enjoy. Trust me, they expect nothing less than several different and interesting food samplings from me. I sorta have a reputation to maintain J

So, I guess I was stressed for nothing. That happens!:p

WHEW!!! You did a great job anyways but it must be a woman thing how we stress about these things. So all in all, it sounds like your host was "guilted" into this by her SIL!!! Congratulations, it sounds like you host is VERY excited too!!!:chef::chef::chef:

What is the best way to decline a request to combine shows?

The best way to decline a request to combine shows is to be honest and direct. Let the host know that while you appreciate their offer, you have other commitments and cannot accommodate a combined show at this time.

How do I tactfully decline a request to combine shows without offending the host?

When declining a request to combine shows, it's important to be respectful and courteous. Express your gratitude for the invitation and explain that you have a busy schedule that does not allow for combined shows. You can also offer to schedule a separate show for the host at a later date.

What should I do if the host insists on combining shows?

If the host continues to push for a combined show after you have politely declined, it's important to stand your ground. Reiterate your previous response and explain that you have a set schedule that cannot be altered. You can also offer alternative options, such as a virtual show or a referral to another consultant who may be available for a combined show.

How can I explain the benefits of hosting a separate show to the host?

When declining a request to combine shows, you can also mention the benefits of hosting a separate show. This allows for a more personalized experience for the host and their guests, as well as potential for higher sales and rewards for the host. You can also remind the host that they can still earn host rewards by hosting a separate show.

Is it ever appropriate to agree to combine shows?

While it is ultimately up to you as the consultant to decide, it is generally not recommended to combine shows. Combining shows can lead to a larger group and potentially higher sales, but it can also be overwhelming and may take away from the individual attention and experience for the host and their guests. It's important to prioritize your schedule and the best interests of your business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Heather92007
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Heather92007
  • ChefBeckyD
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • ChefBeckyD