• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Recall of Garlic Slicers: Did I Miss the Announcement?

In summary, the garlic slicer is being recalled because there is a possibility that the blade attached to the bottom of the unit could detach, posing a safety risk.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Looked at the back order list today (um... beer bread is on back order!) and noticed that there is a recall on Garlic Slicers sold during a certain time. When I click on the link it doesn't take me any where. Did I miss this announcement?

news to me! and that's one of my biggest sellers!

I saw that today, too. I think it might be an "oops" since the link doesn't work. Hopefully it is. We'll have to wait until Monday to see if the link starts working and we get an e-mail about it or if it disappears.

I entered Beer Bread into P3 and it is on Backorder until 11/1

The garlic slicer may be like the ice cream scoop. The consultants and customers who are concerned were contacted first and then everyone else was told.

Pampered Chef needs to stop getting our products from China!! First it was the polka dots on the wine glasses, then the Christmas tree plates had a lead base paint on them, then the vegie slicer that didn't work!! Now one of my favorite products is recalled The garlic slicer ..Seriously!! Pampered Chef needs to use more American based companies!!
This is embarrassing!

It's the original design, not the one we have now (sold between January 2009 and July 2011).

Got the email today:

"As you know, our number one priority is our Consultants and customers and to providing only the highest quality products that people have come to expect from our company. Because of our commitment, we have decided to initiate a voluntary recall of the Garlic Slicer (#1113), which was sold individually and as part of the Garlic Peeler & Slicer Set (#2578). The recall is limited to the Garlic Slicer units that were sold between January 1, 2009 and July 15, 2011. We have decided to take this step because we have received a small number of consumer reports that while using the original Garlic Slicer, one of the blades affixed to the bottom of the unit dislodged and separated, posing a potential safety risk.

If you have hosts and customers impacted by this announcement, you will receive an email in the next five days, alerting you about the voluntary recall. If you do not receive an email, our records indicate that you do not have any customers impacted by the recall."

Just got the email today. Mine is the original design, so I know will at least have to send back mine.

wadesgirl said:
Just got the email today. Mine is the original design, so I know will at least have to send back mine.

I got mine in 2010 as a customer. So I want it replaced. Curious to see how I get contacted. The email said they want you to dispose of it. So I don't think we will need to mail it back.

Tracy99 said:
I got mine in 2010 as a customer. So I want it replaced. Curious to see how I get contacted. The email said they want you to dispose of it. So I don't think we will need to mail it back.

They will send out an email soon with more details. They did the same with the ice cream scoop. They didn't require you to return it.

Consultants will get a list of customers who purchased during that time (you can also run a report on P3). HO will not have the contact info for everyone so we will need to get that for some of the customers but they will contact the ones they can.I have two of them that I earned when they came out and quite a list of them on P3. They made it pretty easy for us when they did the ice cream dipper recall so I am sure this will be just as easy. By next week we'll have all the info.

I don't have the date handy of when it came out...so is it the ones from day 1 up until July 2011?

If so, I guess the ones we bought in consultant sample pkgs, too?

kam said:
I don't have the date handy of when it came out...so is it the ones from day 1 up until July 2011?

If so, I guess the ones we bought in consultant sample pkgs, too?

Yes. They were new March 2009 so the ones consultants got would be starting that Jan.

I looked at mine (the one I earned) and it will need to be replaced.

one customer & my self have one. got my e-mail today, but no info on cc yet. Hopefully my customer & I will get an e-mail w/instructions & telling us the replacement is on the way.

The email said there will be a link on the PC website with instruction. Fortunately I only have one customer and I already called her and told her I'd take care of it for her so she wont' need to request a new one. She also asked me to mail her a catalog and said that if she ever gets her world together, she'd love to have a party someday. So I guess it was worth my 30 second phone call!

THIS IS BS!!! I am sorry I don't conform but I have been doing PC for 12 years and we have NEVER had the problems that we have since we sold our soul to China... LOOK at the BIG Picture!!! Don't put the blinders on that I have had on.. face the facts... ALL of my Garlic Slicers have to be replaced.... SO WTF!! It makes ME and YOU look like a fool...

Whoa! You need to read Doris's book. We have always got some of our products from China and she explains why in the book. About 1/3 of our products are made right here in the US.Pampered Chef monitors all of our products and tests them in their labs at the highest standards. The plates you mentioned in a previous post actually did meet US standards but not PC's.We have 499 products in our catalog and have only had a very small number of them VOLUNTARILY recalled. It does not make us look like fools. It makes us look like we care and are keeping our eyes on our products, making sure they are the high quality we are known to have.HO is replacing all of the defective garlic slicers at no cost to any customer or consultant. I a proud to be associated with this company.

Ditto what Beth said!

I agree with Beth also. While I really hate how much our country as a whole gets from China, sometimes against our will (China stealing and copying things and then passing them into the market as the real deal). But PC does not use all China-made products. Many things come from other countries.I think it's great that PC takes the time to make the corrections after all of these years.

Ok. I'm on PC's website. I don't see a "Product Alert" tab that the customer is supposed to be able to click on, per the instructions in the email for them. I wanted to verify the directions before sending my one customer this email.Am I blind?? Or am I jumping the gun and they haven't finished it yet? I didn't actually get the Customer-alerting email. I found that I had a customer by going on CC. I requested MY two replacements though just fine. But that's done in CC. Just can't see where to do it yet for my customer (or to make sure that if I tell her, the link is actually there).

Last edited:
It's not a tab on top like you're looking for. It's on the bottom in the lower right hand corner. I had to look for it, but have now processed 75% of my customer's returns for them. (OK, I only sold 4, one to me, my brother, my neighbor, and another neighbor's co-worker) I sent them the e-mail but rather than the instructions told them I had already processed the return and when it should arrive. This helps me look good and PC look good too. My customers will have to do nothing except throw out the old slicer when the new one arrives.

esavvymom said:
Ok. I'm on PC's website. I don't see a "Product Alert" tab that the customer is supposed to be able to click on, per the instructions in the email for them....

Calling it a "tab" implies it's near the top of the page, don't you think? I couldn't find it at the top of the page, either. I was expecting it to be part of the line that says
Come Join Us - Host a Show - Shop Online - Recipes

Instead, it's a little link on the bottom right:

COOKING PARTY | HOST A COOKING PARTY | KITCHEN PRODUCTS | QUICK & EASY RECIPES | SITE MAP | LEGAL/PRIVACY | PRODUCT ALERT

Thank you! Yes, i was looking at the top. And it is good to know that i can process the return. The only thing is I need to verify the lady's address since it was 3 years ago, but yes, i was going to do the same thing Jane.

Ok so I have two customers but I also have one that I bought before becoming a consultant. I don't know if that consultant is still active (or her name). I know the date and the host that I bought on. Should I give it a week and then call home office about it? I can't do it on cc since I got it before signing, right? Thanks!

Ok so I am missing something. It says in the email I got that there are two emails we can choose from to send to our customers.

"Step 2: Notify your customers and/or hosts.
Cut and paste one of these suggested emails "

I don't see these emails at all. I went to the tab you all are talking about at PC.com and it is there but when I copy/paste and email it the link doesn't work.

I guess what I'll do is contact them and make sure their info hasn't changed and then do it for them. Any one else wondering why it takes 60-90 days?

BethCooks4U said:
Ok so I am missing something. It says in the email I got that there are two emails we can choose from to send to our customers.

"Step 2: Notify your customers and/or hosts.
Cut and paste one of these suggested emails "

I don't see these emails at all. I went to the tab you all are talking about at PC.com and it is there but when I copy/paste and email it the link doesn't work.

I guess what I'll do is contact them and make sure their info hasn't changed and then do it for them. Any one else wondering why it takes 60-90 days?

I did mine for my 2 customers. I assume they say it takes that long because they are anticipating a LARGE number of requests and don't have the replacements all in stock yet. I also assume they are continuing to fill new orders first. I am guessing most will get theirs sooner then the 60-90 days but they would rather give a cautious estimate.

Tracy99 said:
I did mine for my 2 customers. I assume they say it takes that long because they are anticipating a LARGE number of requests and don't have the replacements all in stock yet. I also assume they are continuing to fill new orders first. I am guessing most will get theirs sooner then the 60-90 days but they would rather give a cautious estimate.

Yes in the email I sent I offered to do it for them but I do have a lot of them and I'm not sure all of those customers have the same addresses that are in my files. I told them to verify their address so I can do it but I also told them how to do it on their own.

Tracy99 said:
... I am guessing most will get theirs sooner then the 60-90 days but they would rather give a cautious estimate.

That's what I was thinking, too. This is good planning on their part!
I approve:thumbup:

Ladies, if you notice in the email we received from HO, "Hosts" and "Guests" were highlighted. Click on those words and it will take you directly to the emails they are referring to. It took me a few minutes to realize that as well. Happy Saturday!

Marci

I never got the email. Can someone forward it to me, please? [email protected]

eta: Thanks for Marci for forwarding me a copy! :)

Last edited:
Just a week and a half ago I called to get a slicer replaced because my customer was one of the people who had her blade fall off in her food and her sister found it. The customer sent me an email she was devastated because she loves it. So now I feel funny that they didn't tell me this was in the works because originally bought two so I hope the other wasn't a gift!! Yikes. I that time frame I sold 23 of them. I sell them every time I show it. People love it.

Is it ok to fill out that form FOR our customers? I was going to do that for mine but then there is that box at the bottom that you have to check to release the company from liability and I am thinking we cannot speak on behalf of our customers like that. If something happens and someone decided to make a claim, and we filled out the form for our customers, wouldn't that be an issue? I called the people who bought one from me and walked them thru the form and what they were supposed to do, and it took about an hour out of my time total, but I also got 2 shows out of it because of my customer service.

I did fill it out for my customer as it is someone I work with. I sent her an e-mail telling her that I had taken care of it and for her to throw the product away. I will talk to her Monday.

I would have preferred to do it for my customers and just been done with it but that one thing stopped me. I feel like that is something that they need to do for themselves, because of that "release of liability".

I had sent a question to the email listed because I had an additional customer who didn't show on their list and an online order. [the customer had exchanged it and the online orders are being taken care of by HO]At the bottom of the response they said:
If you are processing the request, you will be agreeing to the Claims Agreement on the website (see below). Please advise your guest that by you processing the request, she will be agreeing to that statement and will dispose of their recalled item.

Claims Agreement:

“In exchange for my replacement, I will dispose of (put in the trash) the Garlic Slicer I purchased between January 1, 2009 and July 15, 2011 ("Product"). I understand that I release all claims against The Pampered Chef for use of this Product after the date I submit this request for replacement.”

How do you handle this if folks don't have internet/email? Do you mail them the form so they can send it to HO? Maybe I will email HO, too.

I have rec'd NO email to replace my garlic slicer from Head office... Shouldn't I? I went to P# and couldn't bring up the history for garlic slicers to help my customers....HELP!

1. What is the recall for Garlic Slicers?

The recall is for Garlic Slicers that were sold during a specific time period.

2. Is there a link to more information about the recall?

Yes, there should be a link that directs you to more information about the recall. However, if the link is not working, you can contact our customer service for assistance.

3. How do I know if I have a recalled Garlic Slicer?

If you purchased a Garlic Slicer during the specified time frame, it is recommended that you check the model number and compare it to the list provided in the announcement. If your model number matches one on the list, you may have a recalled Garlic Slicer.

4. What should I do if I have a recalled Garlic Slicer?

If you have a recalled Garlic Slicer, please stop using it immediately and follow the instructions provided in the recall announcement. You may also contact our customer service for further assistance.

5. How long will the recall be in effect?

The length of the recall will depend on the specific circumstances and will be determined by our team. We will do our best to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and keep our customers informed of any updates.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • chefjeanine