• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Gardening Questions - Peonies and Lawn Weed Control

In summary, the conversation touches on two main topics: keeping peonies from falling over when they get larger and top heavy, and suggestions for weed killers now that they are banned. For the peonies, using stakes and tying them up with plastic covered wire or a soft cloth is recommended. As for weed killers, homemade recipes using ingredients like gin, vinegar, salt, and dish soap are suggested. It is advised to use these carefully and only on plants you want to get rid of.
kcjodih
Gold Member
1. I was given peonies last year and planted them in 4 different spots (one now seems to have moved lol). My question is, what do I do to keep these from falling over when they get larger and top heavy or when they are larger and we have a bad storm. My girlfriend just leaves hers and then they look horrible and are pretty much done for...

2. Now that we have weed killers are permanently banned, any suggestions what to use to get rid of weeds in our lawn. It's only a year and a half old, started from hydroseed in the late fall of 07 and it's still patchy so not thick enough to smother the weeds out. We have about an acre cleared and then 3 acres of woods surrounding that and I just noticed there were dandilions along the edge and asked DH 'hadn't he just weed and feeded?'. He stated that 'no, they don't sell any of that stuff now and all he did was fertilize it a few weeks ago'.

I'm going to ask at the hardware store and nursery when I can get into town later in the week but when I asked co-workers today the two answers I got was 'use the 'claw' on each weed' - NOT happening on an acre lot! and the other said 'embrace them - we do nothing!'...

I love peonies! My FIL has one in Michigan. He uses a long stake and ties it up. All I know about them is the ants love them too!

So I don't use a 'cone' or anything like that? What do I use to tie it, anything specific or will anything work? I'd hate to cause damage to the plants.

Okay I googled it and one of the sites mentions this...Sink the stake behind the plant and use stakes that are 6 to 12 inches shorter than the plants so they will not be visible. Loosely tie the stems to the stake using plastic covered wire or a soft cloth. Tie the stems, making a double loop, with one loop around the plant and the other around the stake.

I'm not understanding the whole double loop thing at all. Also is it really only one stake per bush? Can I buy these at the nursery or hardware store or do I have to make them?

When the peonies get large, cut them! They are GORGEOUS in vases inside your home.

Jodi,

you can use 1-2 steaks per group. the double loop, is basically, make a large loop around the stalk/s make a square knot for that loop, then the 2nd loop is tight to the pole that way the item your using to tie the flowers up with won't slide as easy. hope that's clear as mud... :) It's easier to see it done than to explain..

Weed Killers:Here are two homemade recipes to try. Both should be used only on plants that you want to get rid of, taking care not to spray any on surrounding plants. These are most effective when used on emerging weeds. * 1 tablespoon of gin
* 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
* 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap
* 1 quart of hot water Alternate version: * 1 gallon of distilled vinegar
* 1 cup of salt
* 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap Spray these directly on weeds in the garden or pour directly into cracks of walks and driveways. P.S. I LOVE peonies too!

DebbieJ said:
When the peonies get large, cut them! They are GORGEOUS in vases inside your home.

How sad is it that I've NEVER cut flowers from my garden and brought them inside? Isn't there something I have to do first though to eliminate ants before bringing them in?

Maybe I'll just send them your way Deb ;):)

colegrovet said:
Jodi,

you can use 1-2 steaks per group. the double loop, is basically, make a large loop around the stalk/s make a square knot for that loop, then the 2nd loop is tight to the pole that way the item your using to tie the flowers up with won't slide as easy. hope that's clear as mud... :) It's easier to see it done than to explain..

I got it, I got it! :) Thanks Terry, your explanation was wonderful!

janetupnorth said:
Weed Killers:

Here are two homemade recipes to try. Both should be used only on plants that you want to get rid of, taking care not to spray any on surrounding plants. These are most effective when used on emerging weeds.

* 1 tablespoon of gin
* 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
* 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap
* 1 quart of hot water

Alternate version:

* 1 gallon of distilled vinegar
* 1 cup of salt
* 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap

Spray these directly on weeds in the garden or pour directly into cracks of walks and driveways.

P.S. I LOVE peonies too!

Thanks for taking the time to type all of that Janet. Can either of these solutions be used on the lawn or is it just for gardens and sidewalks/driveways? I'd hate to kill our young lawn..

kcjodih said:
Thanks for taking the time to type all of that Janet. Can either of these solutions be used on the lawn or is it just for gardens and sidewalks/driveways? I'd hate to kill our young lawn..
I didn't type, I cut and pasted. :)• These are used on plants you want to get rid of and not to be sprayed on surrounding plants. I'd try it on a spot and see if the grass is hearty enough to survive...• If you use mixtures of baking soda, it will kill grass too...

Last edited:
janetupnorth said:
I didn't type, I cut and pasted. :)

These are used on pants you want to get rid of and not to be sprayed on surrounding plants. I'd try it on a spot and see if the grass is hearty enough to survive...

• If you use mixtures of baking soda, it will kill grass too...

I wouldn't suggest getting rid of your pants if your yard doesn't have a privacy fence!;)

:D:D:D

Snort! :)

I love peonies too!

ChefBeckyD said:
I wouldn't suggest getting rid of your pants if your yard doesn't have a privacy fence!;)

:D:D:D

Hey, there's always something underneath them! ;)

Jodi,

They make stakes especially for use with your peony plants, but I use tomato cages. Tomato cages are sturdier than the special peony stakes and they cost less. The sooner you put them around your plants the better. Once they get big (and I'm guessing your plants are a week or two behind mine) it's hard to put them into place.

I LOVE these flowers!!!

kcjodih said:
How sad is it that I've NEVER cut flowers from my garden and brought them inside? Isn't there something I have to do first though to eliminate ants before bringing them in?

Maybe I'll just send them your way Deb ;):)

Just be sure to shake them upside-down really well before bringing them inside. I love my pink peonies, but I have to shake them out really well before bringing them into the house. The ants actually open up the petals, so they are a necessary evil with the peony.

cathyskitchen said:
The ants actually open up the petals, so they are a necessary evil with the peony.

Nope, the ants are just attracted to the sweet stuff that comes off/out of the buds. The flowers bloom with or without the ants.

Well, Janet, that concoction will either kill them or get them really liquored up so they fall down.....:p

jwpamp said:
Well, Janet, that concoction will either kill them or get them really liquored up so they fall down.....:p

That's what I was thinking...does it really kill them or are they too drunk to function? ;)

Hey, I just got it from other people with "home remedies" or organic solutions.

In our family, we're all for a few appropriate chemicals when needed...like Deet...my goodness...non-deet stuff would not have cut through the bugs last night! They just laugh at us then!

jwpamp said:
That's why it's used to get rid of pants. :D
janetupnorth said:
• These are used on pants you want to get rid of and not to be sprayed on surrounding plants. I'd try it on a spot and see if the grass is hearty enough to survive...

Unfortunately (for convenience) and fortunately (for the environment) they've banned all chemical weed killers here, not sure if it's the same in the US or not. And I hate weeds in my yard - hurts the feet when you run barefoot and looks horrible!

Unfortunately (for convenience) and fortunately (for the environment) they've banned all chemical weed killers here this year, not sure if it's that way in the US as well or not. I hate weeds! Look horrible and hurt the feet when you play like to go barefoot in the yard.

Thanks all for the ideas! I'm going to shake my peonies upside down and cut them when they are full and pretty and I'll try the tomato cage and if that doesn't work out for whatever reason I'll get some stakes and do what Terry suggested.

I think I'll keep my pants on though Janet :) :D

1. Can I plant peonies in the fall?

Yes, fall is the ideal time to plant peonies. This allows the roots to establish themselves before the winter cold sets in.

2. How often should I water my peonies?

Peonies need to be watered deeply once a week, or more frequently during dry spells. However, make sure the soil is well-drained as peonies do not like to sit in wet soil.

3. How do I control weeds in my lawn?

The best way to control weeds in your lawn is to mow regularly, at the recommended height for your grass type. You can also manually pull out weeds or use a weed killer specifically designed for lawns.

4. When should I fertilize my lawn?

It is recommended to fertilize your lawn in the fall, as this is when the grass is actively growing and can benefit the most from the nutrients. However, you can also fertilize in the spring and summer if necessary.

5. Can I plant peonies in my lawn?

Yes, peonies can be planted in a lawn as long as the soil is well-drained and not too compact. However, avoid planting them too close to trees or large shrubs, as these plants can compete for nutrients and water.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ahammons
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedtara
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies