1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Gardening questions - peonies and lawn weed control

1. kcjodih

kcjodih Legacy Member Gold Member

1. I was given peonies last year and planted them in 4 different spots (one now seems to have moved lol). My question is, what do I do to keep these from falling over when they get larger and top heavy or when they are larger and we have a bad storm. My girlfriend just leaves hers and then they look horrible and are pretty much done for...

2. Now that we have weed killers are permanently banned, any suggestions what to use to get rid of weeds in our lawn. It's only a year and a half old, started from hydroseed in the late fall of 07 and it's still patchy so not thick enough to smother the weeds out. We have about an acre cleared and then 3 acres of woods surrounding that and I just noticed there were dandilions along the edge and asked DH 'hadn't he just weed and feeded?'. He stated that 'no, they don't sell any of that stuff now and all he did was fertilize it a few weeks ago'.

I'm going to ask at the hardware store and nursery when I can get into town later in the week but when I asked co-workers today the two answers I got was 'use the 'claw' on each weed' - NOT happening on an acre lot! and the other said 'embrace them - we do nothing!'...

May 11, 2009
  2. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

I love peonies! My FIL has one in Michigan. He uses a long stake and ties it up. All I know about them is the ants love them too!

3. kcjodih

So I don't use a 'cone' or anything like that? What do I use to tie it, anything specific or will anything work? I'd hate to cause damage to the plants.

May 11, 2009
  4. kcjodih

Okay I googled it and one of the sites mentions this...Sink the stake behind the plant and use stakes that are 6 to 12 inches shorter than the plants so they will not be visible. Loosely tie the stems to the stake using plastic covered wire or a soft cloth. Tie the stems, making a double loop, with one loop around the plant and the other around the stake.

I'm not understanding the whole double loop thing at all. Also is it really only one stake per bush? Can I buy these at the nursery or hardware store or do I have to make them?

May 11, 2009
  5. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

When the peonies get large, cut them! They are GORGEOUS in vases inside your home.

May 12, 2009
  6. colegrovet

colegrovet Veteran Member Gold Member

Jodi,

you can use 1-2 steaks per group. the double loop, is basically, make a large loop around the stalk/s make a square knot for that loop, then the 2nd loop is tight to the pole that way the item your using to tie the flowers up with won't slide as easy. hope that's clear as mud... :) It's easier to see it done than to explain..

May 12, 2009
  7. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Legend Member Gold Member

Weed Killers:

Here are two homemade recipes to try. Both should be used only on plants that you want to get rid of, taking care not to spray any on surrounding plants. These are most effective when used on emerging weeds.

* 1 tablespoon of gin
    * 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
    * 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap
    * 1 quart of hot water

Alternate version:

* 1 gallon of distilled vinegar
    * 1 cup of salt
    * 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap

Spray these directly on weeds in the garden or pour directly into cracks of walks and driveways.

P.S. I LOVE peonies too!

May 12, 2009
  8. kcjodih

How sad is it that I've NEVER cut flowers from my garden and brought them inside? Isn't there something I have to do first though to eliminate ants before bringing them in?

Maybe I'll just send them your way Deb ;):)

May 12, 2009
  9. kcjodih

I got it, I got it! :) Thanks Terry, your explanation was wonderful!

May 12, 2009
  10. kcjodih

Thanks for taking the time to type all of that Janet. Can either of these solutions be used on the lawn or is it just for gardens and sidewalks/driveways? I'd hate to kill our young lawn..

May 12, 2009
  11. janetupnorth

I didn't type, I cut and pasted. :)

• These are used on plants you want to get rid of and not to be sprayed on surrounding plants. I'd try it on a spot and see if the grass is hearty enough to survive...

• If you use mixtures of baking soda, it will kill grass too...

Last edited: May 12, 2009
    May 12, 2009
  12. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

I wouldn't suggest getting rid of your pants if your yard doesn't have a privacy fence!;)

:D:D:D

May 12, 2009
  13. AnnieBee

AnnieBee Veteran Member Gold Member

Snort! :)

I love peonies too!

May 12, 2009
  14. janetupnorth

Hey, there's always something underneath them! ;)

May 12, 2009
  15. chefjeanine

chefjeanine Legacy Member Gold Member

Jodi,

They make stakes especially for use with your peony plants, but I use tomato cages. Tomato cages are sturdier than the special peony stakes and they cost less. The sooner you put them around your plants the better. Once they get big (and I'm guessing your plants are a week or two behind mine) it's hard to put them into place.

I LOVE these flowers!!!

May 12, 2009
  16. cathyskitchen

cathyskitchen Senior Member Gold Member

Just be sure to shake them upside-down really well before bringing them inside. I love my pink peonies, but I have to shake them out really well before bringing them into the house. The ants actually open up the petals, so they are a necessary evil with the peony.

17. chefjeanine

chefjeanine Legacy Member Gold Member

Nope, the ants are just attracted to the sweet stuff that comes off/out of the buds. The flowers bloom with or without the ants.

May 12, 2009
  18. jwpamp

jwpamp Veteran Member

Well, Janet, that concoction will either kill them or get them really liquored up so they fall down.....:p

May 12, 2009
  19. janetupnorth

That's what I was thinking...does it really kill them or are they too drunk to function? ;)

Hey, I just got it from other people with "home remedies" or organic solutions.

In our family, we're all for a few appropriate chemicals when needed...like Deet...my goodness...non-deet stuff would not have cut through the bugs last night! They just laugh at us then!

May 12, 2009
  20. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

That's why it's used to get rid of pants. :D

May 12, 2009
  21. kcjodih

Unfortunately (for convenience) and fortunately (for the environment) they've banned all chemical weed killers here, not sure if it's the same in the US or not. And I hate weeds in my yard - hurts the feet when you run barefoot and looks horrible!

May 12, 2009
  22. kcjodih

Unfortunately (for convenience) and fortunately (for the environment) they've banned all chemical weed killers here this year, not sure if it's that way in the US as well or not. I hate weeds! Look horrible and hurt the feet when you play like to go barefoot in the yard.

Thanks all for the ideas! I'm going to shake my peonies upside down and cut them when they are full and pretty and I'll try the tomato cage and if that doesn't work out for whatever reason I'll get some stakes and do what Terry suggested.

I think I'll keep my pants on though Janet :) :D

May 12, 2009
Have something to add?