• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is a Garage Sale Worth the Effort?

In summary, Carol is a successful garage sale organizer who has put out dozens of catalogs and door hangers. She is treating the event as if it is a booth, and is hoping to attract leads. Mara is also a successful garage sale organizer, and has a slide she uses to recruit leads. She is also wearing her apron in hopes of attracting buyers. Neither seller has sold any products, but they are both optimistic.
cwinter474
Gold Member
Our neighborhood garage sale is this Saturday.

I am putting a few things out from the outlet, a few cash and carry type things. Hanging my banner, setting out some sheets with specials, hostess information and stuff like that. Wondering about putting out a door prize ticket type thing, maybe I could get some leads?

This is the same neighborood that I have put out 200+ catalogs, door to door when I started, door hangers last Christmas and I've only gotten ONE order for a food chopper last Christmas.

Wondering if this is going to be a waste of time, effort and printer ink?

Thought I might try and treat it like a booth.

What do you think? and do you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your responsives

Carol

My director does this at her garage sales and I always see people picking through her stuff. I am not sure how many people order, but I would bet if you chat with people that are interested, or that take a look you will find that more people say yes. I think people are more inclined to say yes when asked directly - so you might find that some of those people in your neighborhood maybe were interested but not the type to call, but would say yes if asked. I would do it. Maybe instead of handouts that people take with put the specials in a stand up sign holder, like the black 3 ring binder. Or make a big sign that says 20% off stoneware - there have got to be people out there who want those at such a good price, then when they are ordering you can casually say, do you have a past host number to get 10% more off, when they say no, or how do I get that? You can segue into a convo about hosting a show and possibly getting even more off than 20%.
Good Luck.
Mara

I think that people who go to garage sales are generally looking for a bargain. If you can appeal to their, um... frugalness to book shows, you'll probably have better luck than selling them products at regular price, or even the sale stones.

If you don't have anything else going on tomorrow what do you have to lose? Plus it may not be just people from your neighborhood that come shopping.

I am a big garage sale person, and usually cheap things don't mix with PC. But as the previous poster said, what have you got to lose. If someone needs s product or a replacement part or a consultant, you are there. I don't think you will sell any products, but you never know.

If you have any old catalogs, put them out with your contact info with a sticker with the outdated saying and to contact you for a current catalog. Good luck!!

Im going to give it a whirl, Im going to be out there anyways.
Thought I'd wear my apron too
Wish I had earned the booking thingy, I'd hang it from the garage opener

You still have time to make your own Booking Slide. Find one on here and print it out, and run to your local Office Max/Depot/Staples and have them laminate it for you. Not too expensive, and then you'll have it for your shows too. Just use clear packing tape to put it together (just leave about a 1/4" between the slides so it'll fold up).

Great Idea, THANKS!

cwinter474 said:
Our neighborhood garage sale is this Saturday.

I am putting a few things out from the outlet, a few cash and carry type things. Hanging my banner, setting out some sheets with specials, hostess information and stuff like that. Wondering about putting out a door prize ticket type thing, maybe I could get some leads?

Carol

Did you get any leads from your Garage Sale? I'm having one this weekend and was wondering what worked for you.

I did a booth at a Yard Sale on Saturday. I took my Booking/Recruiting Slide I earned and when I had a young lady come up who is a possible Recruit Lead, I whipped that out! I got a big WOW from her as well as the lady at the booth next to us. She said she didn't realize Consultants got all that!! It is VERY impressive!

I love yard sales AND I love PC! So you just NEVER know!!!!

I sold only 5 seasons best and gave only two catalogs away.
I wore my apron and approached everyone that even looked at the set up I had. Approached, not attacked, very friendly, have you heard of PC, how long has it been since you've seen ..... stuff like that.

Very bummed, yet not surprised.

OH, and I had a PC banner hanging out front.

1. Should I bother having a garage sale?

It ultimately depends on your personal situation and what you are hoping to achieve. Garage sales can be a great way to declutter and make some extra cash, but they do require time and effort. Consider your schedule, the amount of items you have to sell, and your goals before deciding if a garage sale is worth it for you.

2. How do I attract customers to my garage sale?

To attract customers, it's important to advertise your sale well in advance. Utilize social media, local classifieds, and signs around your neighborhood to spread the word. You can also offer discounts or bundle deals to entice shoppers.

3. What should I price my items at?

Pricing can be tricky, but a good rule of thumb is to price items at 25-30% of their original cost. However, pricing can also depend on the condition and demand for the item. You can also consider using a "fill-a-bag" or "name your price" system to make it easier on both you and the customers.

4. How should I set up my garage sale?

It's important to have a clear and organized setup for your garage sale. Group similar items together and make sure everything is visible and easily accessible. Consider using tables, hanging racks, and shelves to display items. Also, make sure to have enough cash on hand for making change.

5. What should I do with leftover items after the garage sale?

If you have leftover items, you can consider donating them to a local charity or thrift store. You can also try selling them online or saving them for a future garage sale. Just make sure to properly store any items you plan on keeping to prevent clutter in your home.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefTPhad
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
cwinter474
  • slhalepc
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • JennyJennJen