• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Don't Spin Platter on Countertop - Learn from My Mistake!

In summary, spinning your SA platter on a laminate countertop can cause scratches and damage to the surface. While it may be common knowledge not to do this with stoneware, it may not be as obvious with other materials. If scratches do occur, options for fixing them include using Gel Gloss or trying to match the color with a formica filler or oil-based paint.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
DON'T spin your SA platter on your laminate countertop.

I was frosting a cake on my round SA platter and was spinning it around as I was working on it. Now there are scratches on my countertop!

Obviously, I know not to do this with our STONEWARE, but I never thought twice about moving my platter around on my counter! DH walked past the counter a minute ago and he was like "what the heck happened there?" Ugh. Not a happy camper. We have a dark red countertop, so it is pretty noticeable. Any ideas on how to fix it?

KellyTheChef said:
DON'T spin your SA platter on your laminate countertop.

I was frosting a cake on my round SA platter and was spinning it around as I was working on it. Now there are scratches on my countertop!

Obviously, I know not to do this with our STONEWARE, but I never thought twice about moving my platter around on my counter! DH walked past the counter a minute ago and he was like "what the heck happened there?" Ugh. Not a happy camper. We have a dark red countertop, so it is pretty noticeable. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Maybe if the cake is good enough, your DH will forgive you? Sorry, that's the only idea I have :)

Oh how awful. I pushed a piece of woven selection on my maple dining room table and scratch the table! There was a rough piece on the bottom that I didn't know about. Makes me sick every time I see it.:cry:

GeorgiaPeach said:
Maybe if the cake is good enough, your DH will forgive you? Sorry, that's the only idea I have :)

LOL

He is pretty excited about the cake, it's his favorite!

KellyTheChef said:
LOL

He is pretty excited about the cake, it's his favorite!

what kind of cake is it?

What kind of counter top is it Kelly? That would help me help you better - my dad was a contractor and knew how to fix almost everything, and I am lucky to have listened to him all those years!

At least you have something to drown your sorrows with :) mmm... cake...

Maybe you could contact whoever you ordered the countertop through and see if they have some paint that you could use or if they have any suggestions...

Otherwise I would suggest what Beth does - leave the pastry mat out 24/7 then nobody will ever notice it (not that Beth is hiding something... I just liked that idea) :)

pamperedlinda said:
what kind of cake is it?

3 Layer Chocolate cake with white 7 minute frosting...then a chocolate glaze on top of that!

PamperedDor said:
What kind of counter top is it Kelly? That would help me help you better - my dad was a contractor and knew how to fix almost everything, and I am lucky to have listened to him all those years!

It's one of the "cheaper" plain formica tops? Not sure...it's been in our house for over 30 years. (I live in the house I grew up in.) My mom used to use Pledge on it every once in a while to make it shiny...that probably protected it a bit, too. I need to try that out first. Let me know if you have any other tips or ideas!!

There is something called Gel Gloss that might help a little-sold at Home Depot in a pink can. There is not much you can do for laminate, though.

Unfortunately, I can't even eat a ton of cake...it's for a church potluck tomorrow!! So, I will have to wait to enjoy it!

fikibiff said:
There is something called Gel Gloss that might help a little-sold at Home Depot in a pink can. There is not much you can do for laminate, though.

I have that stuff! It's the BOMB! I use it on my stainless steel sink every once in a while! I would have never thought to try it on my counter, though...so thanks for the idea!

Hmmm - ok - old formica - that my pal is a really tough one!

You can go to Loews or HD and see in the kitchen design area if they still have a Formica Filler - it would come in colors and almost like Paint for a car chip you would have to try to match - OR try to match it yourself with regular oil based paint - work it almost like a stain, apply and rub off lightly to get into the grooves of the scratches - finish off (have DH do it) with a polish - if you have a buffer or know someone who has one that is great as well -

OK as I am typing this I just spoke to my mom - ( sadly my dad is in Heaven!) She mentioned using Car wax!! If its a color you can try to use a sharpie marker and then the wax - This is no means a permanent solution, as formica once scratched is that for the life of it - but it will make it appear better for periods of time! Good Luck Kelly!

Thanks for the ideas Dor...it looks a bit better this morning, but I will try the Gel Gloss and the car wax ideas.

It's a really old color (kindof burnt orange/red) so I highly doubt I could ever match it...Eventually it needs replaced, but it actually doesn't look bad now...and the backsplash is a dark brown mustard color and our walls are dark sage...so it actually all matches! Plus, you need to have the $$ to replace it!! lol

I know that my Home Depot does not carry Formica filler. Just FYI - new laminates are not too expensive. Installed they range $22-$32 square foot and uninstalled they are about $15-$22 a square foot (at Home Depot). There are some very pretty, very granite looking ones now.

KellyTheChef said:
3 Layer Chocolate cake with white 7 minute frosting...then a chocolate glaze on top of that!

mmmmmm! I'd love a piece of that right about now!

1. Why shouldn't I spin the platter on my countertop?

Spinning the platter on your countertop can cause it to slip and potentially break, as well as create a mess if there are any liquids or sauces on the platter.

2. What should I do instead of spinning the platter on my countertop?

Instead of spinning the platter, use your hands or a utensil to gently turn it. You can also use a rotation mat or lazy susan to easily rotate the platter.

3. Can I still use the platter if it has a small crack from spinning it on my countertop?

No, it is not safe to use a platter with a crack as it can break further and potentially cause harm. It is best to replace the platter to avoid any accidents.

4. Will spinning the platter on my countertop damage my countertop?

It is possible for spinning the platter to cause scratches or damage to your countertop, especially if it is made of a delicate material like marble or granite. It is best to avoid spinning the platter to protect your countertop.

5. Is it safe to spin a platter on a different surface, such as a table or cutting board?

No, it is not safe to spin a platter on any surface. The platter can still slip and potentially break, and it is best to avoid spinning it altogether.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefann
  • scottcooks
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
higoobs
  • janezapchef
  • General Chat
Replies