• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What advice do you have for a newbie Pampered Chef consultant?

In summary, as a newbie Pampered Chef consultant, it's important to familiarize yourself with the top-selling products such as classic stoneware, food chopper, and Mix N' Chop tool. To balance work and family, plan shows in advance and involve your child in your business. When family members don't support your decision, have an open conversation and focus on building a strong network. To overcome insecurities when presenting, focus on your passion for the products and practice beforehand. For a successful first show, keep things simple, choose easy recipes and a theme, and offer incentives.
KellARooni
I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get some advice. My name is Kelly, I live in Northwest Ga and I am a single mom with a 4 yr old son. I have been lurking around reading all the great information you guys share and figured it would be a good idea to introduce myself before I begin sucking your brains dry!! ;) I have always been a huge fan of PC products and absoluely LOVE:love: to cook. I recently started a new job and met someone who is a consultant. After toying with the idea of hosting a show, we decided that it would be a great thing for me to join as a consultant because of all the products I wanted and the fact that I need a part time job. I have commited to this consultant to join by the 31st. My plans is to sign up online on the 31st. I will be on vacation, but did not want to sign up before I left and waste 10 of my 31 days.

At first this sounded like the best plan ever and in the midst of all my excitement I didn't really think of all the cards that were stacked against me(my mother is appalled at the idea of me being in direct sales...says she will not host a show nor buy anything from me, my sister said she will support my decision but does not want to be involved at all, I am a single mom with limited resources for my son when I am at a show) I know these things may not seem like a huge deal but when your own family doesn't support you it does take some of the excitement out of it...

One more issue...
I have never been a big people person, very insecure around people I don't know but very outgoing around those I do know. My DBF thought this would be great to help me overcome this, as he is a people person and can't understand my insecurities. I think this could help, but as it gets closer to time for me to think about getting up in front of people I dont know, I start to want to back out.

I have never been to a PC show, only hosted a catalog show for a friend. So, I think that is contributing to me wanting to run. I already have two shows lined up and I just wanted some advice on what recipes to do for a first show, any theme ideas that would be good...really any advice I can get now about my first show and starting my business of right would really be appreciated. TIA.

*Kelly*

Kelly~
First of all...congratulations on becoming "one" of us!! Being a huge fan of PC will make you a fabulous consultant. People person or not.....the fact that you love PC will shine and everyone will see that!
If it makes you feel better....no one in my family has EVER hosted for me! My mom has here and there bought items but nothing huge. It really does not bother me as I would rather have a huge customer base then rely on my family.

As far as recipes go....stick to the recipes that are intended for use with the items you receive in your kit. PC is great about providing those recipes in the Seasons Best.

And....don't run...I swear you will love us!!

Go with your heart. Don't let nay-sayers make you not even try!

Pampered Chef makes it SO easy to try the apron on with no risk! Make a list of everyone you know and start calling NOW. Many will say no but others WILL say yes! Try it for your 90 days. If YOU feel it's not for you and decide to give it up you still get great commission and lots of new products (including extras you can buy with the pC dollars you will earn.

Go for it!

PS: It is MUCH easier to do this business once you have gotten past family and friends - ask for referrals and ask your first hosts to invite people you do not know!!

GOOD LUCK!! :chef:

Welcome to Chefsuccess, and hello!!!! I was just reading your post and I just have to tell you I also am an extreme introvert. Sometimes I become extroverted but only around my family and close friends, so I know where you are coming from, I always get that nervous feeling when I'm pulling up in someones driveway to do a show, and I know it's silly but sometimes in my head I used to think of reasons that I could call the host and cancel! I know that sounds ridiculous, but... the more shows that I made myself go to, the better it got. I think I just need to get "used" to doing my own thing, and once I did, I actually feel alot better about myself and my self esteem has gone up!

Anyhow, this MAY or MAY NOT be the right move for you, as far as being a consultant goes... but it can't hurt to try it, if you've already signed up, go ahead and do your shows that you have lined up! Bring your recruiter with you so she can help you out and you can do it togehter, or ask your recruiter if you can sit-in on some of her shows so you can watch her and see what she does! I did this a handful of times before I actually did my first cooking show. The good thing about Pampered Chef is that you can make it work for you. Do your first 4 shows, and see how you feel! By the time you do your 4 shows you will have earned enough commission to cover what you paid for your start-up kit, so whether you decide to keep going or not you are not going to actually LOSE anything! Hope this has helped, and good luck in whatever you choose! :D

Welcome!!
I, too, was a single mom when I got started with PC. My mom and SIL were in NJ so couldn't have helped me if they wanted to. My first two shows were friends of mine from when I was married who wanted to help me get back on my feet...it went from there.
You can do this!!
PC really saved me in so many ways...

Thank you for the welcome and encouragement. I think I just needed to hear somebody tell me TO DO IT...instead of all the Debbie Downers telling me why I shouldnt!!

I know it's silly but sometimes in my head I used to think of reasons that I could call the host and cancel!

This SO sounds like something I would do too!! :eek: I know that once I get my first two shows over with I will be fine...and prob be addicted to it...I just need help getting over the first show jitters!!

Thank you all again for the help...and any other advice is MORE than welcome!!

~*Peace, Love and Pampered Vibes*~
Kelly

Firstly, welcome!

Secondly, I hope you guys fared through the storm well the other night. We're right in the Canton/Holly Springs area, and got very lucky not to have any damage.

Back on topic. I had never been to a show before I signed up either. My recruiter and Director are actually across the country in CA. I have been very lucky to find a wonderful Hospitality Director, and met a lot of great folks in this area. Like Brandi said, you really have nothing to lose. Try it out. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. But I'll be willing to bet you will love it!

As far as not being a people person, look at it this way: you're not going on national TV or even in front of a huge crowd to do a speech. You are getting together with a fun group of people, and telling them why you love PC products so much. You'll get so wrapped up with the excitement, you'll barely even notice you're "presenting" something. Plus, with the interactive show format, you're not in the spotlight all that much anyway.

For the recipes, like Erin said, stick to simple things. There are recipes specially designed to highlight the products in your kit and you'll even get note cards to walk you through the whole process.

And if you need any help, we're all here, and I'm sure your director will be there every step of the way as well.

Kelly~

God has used my Pampered Chef business to really grow me as a person. I was just like you...didn't like to be in front of people...scratch that, HATED being in front of people, and I was scared to death! My first show, I was so nervous that you could hear my VOICE QUIVERING! I still get butterflies before each show, but that gets easier and easier with every show that I have under my belt. I have also noticed that I do better if I have shows consistantly. If I have one here, another one in a month, and so on, I get sooooo nervous it's like I am starting all over!

As for your mom and sister...are they willing to help you out by babysitting? If they are, ask them what they are comfortable with (once a week, more or less, etc.) so that you can schdule around that and find other sitters and so they don't feel that they are being taken advantage of. As for them not wanting to do shows, don't worry! Ask friends, other relatives, people you meet, co-workers, etc. Honestly..."family" shows are usually your WORST SALES SHOWS. Like they are doing it to help you out, and they don't try to get more sales. Sometimes they think just HAVING the show is enough.

You will get a DVD in your kit that shows a cooking show. You can model your show like that and practice over and over! Talk out loud and actually pretend like you are doing a REAL SHOW. Practice in front of your BF, family or anyone who will let you practice! That's how you can work out the "kinks" before hand!

This site is a wealth of information, but don't make it too hard on yourself. Your kit has all the paperwork you need (no need to make extra flyers and such) and your recruiter or Director should be scheduling a "cook and book" to help train you!

If this still scares the crap out of you, make a "contract" with yourself for a certain amount of time. You can put out 110% effort during that time, and then after that time if it's not for you, then you have the option of stopping! You will have made lots of commission, gotten free products, and earned free Pampered Chef "dollars" and so on! I sat down with DH and made him a deal that I would give my business a full year, but you can give yourself however much of a time frame you want! Honestly, though, I don't think I "got it" till about my 6th or 8th show. I can remember coming home beaming cuz I actually HAD FUN! It was like, up till then I was too busy trying to remember what to say and all, that my focus was on the show and what I was saying. Once I got that down pat, I was able to focus on others and HAVE FUN! (One hint for that, is to offer only ONE RECIPE for your first 10-12 shows. That way, you get that recipe down and you aren't worried about steps to the recipe. We aren't in the business of selling recipes, so really the focus should always be on the products anyhow...)

I hope all of us are helping you! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away!!

We're right in the Canton/Holly Springs area, and got very lucky not to have any damage

I actually worked in Canton for about a year...when I was pregnant with my son. We did not have much damage at all with the mts around us the storms always split and go north or south... It is great to know someone is close by...MY FD is actually in Nashville and I do now know any consultants in the area. I would like to attend a show before I have to do one, my FD said he would try to get me in contact with my cluster...but are consultants usually willing to let the newbies come to a show?? Just wondering how that would work.

KellARooni said:
but are consultants usually willing to let the newbies come to a show??

That's actually how my Hospitality Director does her training. She'll have her new consultants come to a show with her. It works much better for her schedule than to try and come to their shows. Your FD can ask her D to find a HD for you here. All she has to do is call home office (once you sign up). My HD lives in West Cobb in the Powder Springs area, so I'd invite you to join our meetings, but that is probably too far for you (not to mention, my baby's due on Monday so I won't be going to the next meeting myself).

I had never been to a show before I had my own show where I signed!

I watched the video (that's what we had at the time!) over and over to get an idea of how to do a show. That helped alot!

In your paperwork kit, There is a Guide for New Consultants, and in that guide there is a Form to fill out while observing a show. I have all of my new consultants attend a show I am doing and fill out that observation guide. It keeps me on my toes for how I am conducting my shows - and it helps them to see how to combine all of the facets of the show together.

I am positive that your recruiter/director would be happy to have you sit in on a show and observe.

Also - with being an introvert - I have a new consultant who is also pretty shy, and she was really excited to learn about the interactive show option. She loves doing it that way, because it takes the spotlight off from her. So, that is always an option to think about too!

ChefBeckyD said:
Also - with being an introvert - I have a new consultant who is also pretty shy, and she was really excited to learn about the interactive show option. She loves doing it that way, because it takes the spotlight off from her. So, that is always an option to think about too!

Oh yes- definitely go interactive ALL THE WAY! Not only does it make ME more comfortable because like Becky says, you are out of the spotlight, but people actually get a chance to really use the products, and the more they touch, use and like the better your sales will be for the show! :p

Is there a DVD for interactive shows?? And, can I use the PC logo to make my own t-shirts? And is there any limitations on what I can put on this shirt?? I would look it up myself but I dont have access yet. :rolleyes:

KellARooni said:
I wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get some advice. My name is Kelly, I live in Northwest Ga and I am a single mom with a 4 yr old son. I have been lurking around reading all the great information you guys share and figured it would be a good idea to introduce myself before I begin sucking your brains dry!! ;) I have always been a huge fan of PC products and absoluely LOVE:love: to cook. I recently started a new job and met someone who is a consultant. After toying with the idea of hosting a show, we decided that it would be a great thing for me to join as a consultant because of all the products I wanted and the fact that I need a part time job. I have commited to this consultant to join by the 31st. My plans is to sign up online on the 31st. I will be on vacation, but did not want to sign up before I left and waste 10 of my 31 days.

At first this sounded like the best plan ever and in the midst of all my excitement I didn't really think of all the cards that were stacked against me(my mother is appalled at the idea of me being in direct sales...says she will not host a show nor buy anything from me, my sister said she will support my decision but does not want to be involved at all, I am a single mom with limited resources for my son when I am at a show) I know these things may not seem like a huge deal but when your own family doesn't support you it does take some of the excitement out of it...

One more issue...
I have never been a big people person, very insecure around people I don't know but very outgoing around those I do know. My DBF thought this would be great to help me overcome this, as he is a people person and can't understand my insecurities. I think this could help, but as it gets closer to time for me to think about getting up in front of people I dont know, I start to want to back out.

I have never been to a PC show, only hosted a catalog show for a friend. So, I think that is contributing to me wanting to run. I already have two shows lined up and I just wanted some advice on what recipes to do for a first show, any theme ideas that would be good...really any advice I can get now about my first show and starting my business of right would really be appreciated. TIA.

*Kelly*

I had NO support from my entire family- just DH and my show average is around $729+ per show and I only had 12 people on my list of 100!

You can do it- heck if I could, you can! :)

This is also a great way to get over fears and insecurities. I bet you'll do great. And for those family members that have issues with you doing PC- they simply have issues of their own that are causing them to either be upset or appalled that you are now in the direct selling business.

Almost every big business started out door to door back in the day. :)

Welcome, and feel free to come here often for advice! :)

KellARooni said:
Is there a DVD for interactive shows?? And, can I use the PC logo to make my own t-shirts? And is there any limitations on what I can put on this shirt?? I would look it up myself but I dont have access yet. :rolleyes:

There is a DVD on interactive shows. I believe new consultants receive it once they've completed their 90 days, but I'm sure your D or HD will be happy to lend you a copy.

You can use the PC logo to make your own t-shirts, just not for the purpose of selling them. The logos are available on CC, which you'll have access to once you sign up. You can use the logos for your own shirts, flyers etc, but you cannot provide them to any vendor to produce anything for you. You can also purchase products with the PC logo on them through Merrill (a licensed vendor you will also have access to once you sign).

For limitations when making shirts yourself, you have to use the logo as is, no modification. You cannot use the tag line "discover the chef..." by itself, and you cannot use the chef's hat by itself.

I just cant wait to get all my stuff and be able to log in and see all the wonderful things you guys have access to that I don't...Thank you all again for all the answers and support. I was hesitant about even posting anything, but I am glad I did, I think my excitement level has doubled!! :D

KellARooni said:
I just cant wait to get all my stuff and be able to log in and see all the wonderful things you guys have access to that I don't...Thank you all again for all the answers and support. I was hesitant about even posting anything, but I am glad I did, I think my excitement level has doubled!! :D

We're glad you decided to jump in the looney bin! We are a huge support for one another- so don't ever be worried about posting! And in the off chance that someone is mean to you- I married an Italian, so we'll take care of them for ya!

badabing_ba_da_bing_sm_nwm.gif

Yeah, or, for a less, um, drastic solution, I offer ankle-kicking services.Seriously, welcome!One of the great things about Pampered Chef is that it's a no-lose situation. You may decide it's the best thing you've ever done for yourself and your little one. If you try it and decide it isn't for you, you've earned commission and gotten a great deal on some fabulous kitchen tools.

1. What are the top products to focus on as a newbie Pampered Chef consultant?

As a newbie Pampered Chef consultant, it's important to familiarize yourself with the top-selling products to focus on. These include the classic stoneware, the versatile food chopper, and the popular Mix N' Chop tool. Additionally, the bamboo cutting boards, garlic press, and non-stick cookware are also great items to highlight.

2. How can I balance being a single mom and a part-time Pampered Chef consultant?

As a single mom myself, I understand the challenges of balancing work and family. My advice would be to plan your Pampered Chef shows and events in advance, and try to schedule them on days and times that work best for you and your son. You can also involve your son in some aspects of your business, such as helping you prepare for shows or creating themed displays. Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends or family when you need it, and remember to take care of yourself as well.

3. How can I handle family members who don't support my decision to become a Pampered Chef consultant?

It can be difficult when your own family members don't support your decision to become a consultant. My advice would be to have an open and honest conversation with them about your passion for cooking and how this opportunity can benefit you and your son. If they still don't want to host a show or buy from you, don't take it personally. Focus on building a strong network of supportive customers and hostesses, and let your success speak for itself.

4. What are some tips for overcoming insecurities when presenting at shows?

Presenting in front of strangers can be intimidating, but remember that you are sharing your love for cooking and Pampered Chef products with others. Try to focus on the excitement and passion you have for the products, rather than your insecurities. Practice your presentation beforehand and remember that mistakes are normal and can even make your presentation more relatable. And don't forget to breathe and smile!

5. What are some ideas for a successful first Pampered Chef show?

For your first show, it's important to keep things simple and focus on showcasing the products. Choose recipes that are easy to make and highlight the versatility of the products. You can also choose a theme for your show, such as "Game Day Snacks" or "Quick and Easy Weeknight Meals" to make it more engaging for guests. And don't forget to offer special incentives or discounts to encourage sales and future bookings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefMJ
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Cynthia Shugart
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DawnCJWaller