• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What would you do in this unexpected driveway dilemma?

In summary, the homeowner heard noises outside and thought it was her recycling going around. She opened the door to find a man hammering a stake into her grass. After confirming her address, she realized the man was from next door and was doing the wrong house's driveway. The homeowner felt bad for the man and talked to him about it. The man said he normally charges $125 for the service, but the homeowner said she would talk to her husband and see if there was anything they could do. The homeowner asked the man for his business card and told him she would be in touch. The homeowner feels bad for the man and would not pay him for his error.
babywings76
Gold Member
So I'm working in my office with the blinds closed and I keep hearing noises outside. It's trash day today, and it's really windy, so I thought it was my recycling box and trash cans rolling around. After a while I heard it some more and thought I should go out and get them. I open the door and see a man hammering a stake in my grass right next to the driveway and I realize that he just seal coated my driveway. We did not arrange for anyone to do this job so I looked at the guy and he must have seen my look of confusion on my face. He confirmed my address and I told him that's mine, then he tried to confirm my husband's name, but he said the name of my next door neighbor. Poor guy just did the wrong house! I hated to break the news to him, he was so upset with himself. I felt so bad that I didn't check out the window sooner. I asked him how long he had been there and he said 45 minutes. I asked him how much he normally charges for this and he said $125. I felt so bad for him to be out that labor and materials, so I told him I'd talk to my husband and see if there was something we could do. I asked him for his business card and told him I'd be in touch.

We just built this house and have only been in it for 1 1/2 yrs. We had no intention on getting our driveway done this year. It's not in the budget to do this. What would you do? We're thinking of paying him $50 to help him recover his materials cost. He told me he couldn't expect me to pay him, he couldn't ask for that since it was his mistake. I feel so bad for him though, so that's why I think we'll pay him some. Do you think that's okay? Part of me feels like I should pay the whole thing to help him out, but it really was his mistake and we didn't ask for it. And it leaves me stranded here today since my car was in the garage and now I can't drive on it. My parents think I shouldn't pay him anything, but I feel too bad for him to do that.

What would you do?

I would give him the $$ for his materials because he can 'eat' his time. I would feel bad too and I think giving him SOMETHING would be the right thing to do. Good Luck!

If you have something to spare, than I say to do so. Otherwise, ask for his business cards or flyers and pass them around and maybe bake him and his family some cookies. Just some kindness might help him...

You didn't ask for it and he did it and he can't take it back. I would not pay him for his error (sorry you are stranded, though--that stinks). I am sure when your neighbor comes home he will be upset (I know I would be).

Do what you feel is right for you but really it's not your responsibility for his mistake.

I'd definitely give him something. Maybe $50 or $75...and just think, now you dont have to arrange to have it done in the future...

If you cant do anything monetary, I would definitely do what the above post said and do something nice for him.

I would pay him. I would look at it this way, I probably should have had it done, and I didn't have to find someone to do it.

He obviously is having a bad day. Maybe paying him would show kindness and go a long way.

Sorry you are stranded. I would hate that feeling. How long do you have to wait until it dries?

A similar thing happened to us. We had not moved into our house yet and the former owner had to hire some guys to replace the ceilings in the kitchen and dinning room. (Plaster half gone you know.) However, one of the guys took it upon himslef to stay late one night to finish up the one room and started the living room ceiling. Yep, you heard me - the living room ceiling. IT WAS NOT ON THE LIST TO DO! He tore the whole thing down and came in the next morning to a boss who was not at all pleased. Anyway, between the old owner and us, they paid for the materials but that was all. Georgia felt too bad not to do something but we stayed out of it as it was their contractor. I did feel bad but, like Harriet said, not your fault.

I'm very picky with my money. I would feel bad but I wouldn't pay for it. He should have a system for checking these things or something. I do agree that you could get some cards from him and pass his name around!

He had come through the neighborhood last week and put quotes on door hangers on all our doors.My neighbor came home and was checking out how my driveway looked. :D We joked how I'm the guinea pig, so now he knows if he likes the work and still wants the guy to do the job. :) He said that he doesn't know how the guy could've gotten confused. He told him the address, and said it was the last house on the street. (I'm the house before him). So he says to enjoy the free job. I still think we'll pay him $50.

I think the $50 is a good price. I'm not sure what I would do personally though. He's right when he said that he wouldn't expect you to pay him, but I understand what you are saying too.... That is definately a tough one. I do like the cookies idea or something as a nice gesture. Maybe you could hook a new customer with a SB or something! LOL

candiejayne said:
I think the $50 is a good price. I'm not sure what I would do personally though. He's right when he said that he wouldn't expect you to pay him, but I understand what you are saying too.... That is definately a tough one. I do like the cookies idea or something as a nice gesture. Maybe you could hook a new customer with a SB or something! LOL

That's so funny. I know, I was sitting here wondering if he was married and if I should send him/his wife something, like a SB and if that could count as a new contact. :D

well, as long as he goes and does the neighbor's driveway it was an honest mistake. Now, if he doesn't do it than it could have been a ploy to get customers.

If you have the money, pay him. Maybe just for the materials and bake him some goodies! Do get info and do talk about Pampered Chef! You never know!

I had TruGreen fertilize my lawn on accident last week (they were on the wrong street) and I'm not giving them anything.

there is a house in our neighborhood with the same house # ours is East theirs is West. The kids & I came home one day and a yard company was finishing our yard.
Teh man walked up to my car and gave me the bill. I said I'm not paying that and please tell me exactly what treatments you used. My husband had just done all of our chemicals 2 days before and I didn't want all my lush grass to die.
he was very sarcastic and said same thing I do everytime.... I refused to pay it even though he was adamant they be reimbursed for his chemicals. I told him and if my grass dies from too many chemicals YOU will get the bill for a new lawn (we have 2 acres)

I have a couple friends who barter exchange each other's business's. (One is a hairdresser, the other is a rep for DS skin care company.) You could offer him $50 cash or $60 in products (you never know).

what goes around comes around....i'd give him the $50 and incur some good karma!

How 'bout giving him a bunch of free PC products???

I think like Susan Karma is nothing to mess with and even though he said no to being paid I would still pay him for materials. His mistake but your good fortune and he was embarrassed. We've all had those days. Now for the grass guys NO WAY! They sound like jerks what goes around comes around either nasty or nice it all comes back to you 10 fold.

Didn't you say he had the correct address? Then I would think it's the neighbors fault. If he had your address written down he had no way of knowing that he had the wrong house.

I think it's nice of you reimburse him for his materials, but I don't think I would pay him for his labor. $125 is a lot of money to fit into a budget at the last minute nowadays.

I'm feeling very cynical today,......but have you talked to your neighbor to make sure this guy was scheduled to do his house? Maybe it was a scam.....

It was scheduled to be done. My neighbor came home and stopped in front of my house and was looking at the driveway, so I went out to greet him. He told me that the guy had called him and apologized for not getting the job done that day, and told him of his mistake in doing mine. My neighbor was supposed to be gone all day, so that's why the guy never knocked on my door to confirm, he assumed it to be the right address and that no one would be home. He was startled when he saw me. He was very visibly upset and mad at himself. He really almost looked like he was going to cry (but it was pretty windy so his sniffles were probably worked up from that.)

If you can safely spare a bit, I'm in favor of giving him what you can. I don't believe in Karma, but I know the Bible says that you reap what you sow. We saw a very big example of that this weekend. The Furry Guy often does things for other people. Usually that's done without taking any payment. For us it's a matter of serving others. In addition, we had a situation about a year ago where a company's mistake cost them dearly on a project for our home. Understanding that it was an honest mistake, we couldn't completely relieve the financial burden this placed on them, but we did what we could do to minimize their loss. Now, I want to point out that we're being a bit frugal right now. The Furry Guy's workplace is down to 4 days a week, so funds are a bit dear. On to my story. Friday is was doing an expo in a town about 1 1/2 hours from our home. As I went to leave, my van wouldn't start. I called The Furry Guy. He called one of his uncles who lives in that area (and also does a lot of seed sowing), then headed out to meet me. The uncle and aunt showed up. He had talked to a neighbor who fixes cars. Uncle did the few things the neighbor suggested, but they didn't help. When The Furry Guy got there, he tried a couple more things, but no luck. Uncle called a guy he knows who does towing. We were charged only $44 for the tow to the neighbor's house. The neighbor discovered that a module had gone out of my distributor. That part (which we'd replaced ourselves a couple of years ago) was still under warranty, so the replacement part was free. The neighbor then absolutely refused to take anything for his hour or more of work. We were able to make it home with both vehicles, and I was able to make my local Saturday expo. We felt absolutely blessed. Paying good deeds forward usually comes full circle.

Last edited:

1. What is "Funny Thing Happened Today"?

"Funny Thing Happened Today" is a collection of humorous anecdotes and stories that are shared by individuals who have had unexpected or funny experiences during their day.

2. How can I submit my own story to "Funny Thing Happened Today"?

You can submit your story through our website or by emailing us directly. Make sure to include a title, your name (or a pseudonym), and a brief description of your story in the submission.

3. Can I use real names in my "Funny Thing Happened Today" story?

We encourage the use of pseudonyms to protect the privacy of individuals mentioned in your story. However, if you are comfortable using real names, that is also acceptable.

4. Are there any guidelines for submitting a story to "Funny Thing Happened Today"?

Yes, we ask that all stories are family-friendly and refrain from any offensive language or content. We also have a maximum word count of 500 words per story.

5. How often are new stories added to "Funny Thing Happened Today"?

We try to add new stories on a weekly basis, but it ultimately depends on the number of submissions we receive. Keep checking our website for updates and new stories!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • Teresa Lynn