• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fun and Busy Labor Day Weekend - Can You Guess Who We Met?

In summary, Annabel shares about her busy but fun weekend spent camping with her husband's family and another family for the 24th year in a row. They had a great time at Van Buren State Park on the shores of Lake Michigan, despite going on Saturday morning instead of Friday afternoon due to attending a swanky event in downtown Cleveland the night before. Annabel and her husband met several astronauts, including Jim Lovell, at the event celebrating 50 years of NASA. Annabel also shares the story of her ruined dress and finding a replacement at the mall the night before the event. Janet compliments Annabel's appearance in the picture with her husband, and Annabel explains that the event included astronauts who were born in Ohio or currently
AnnieBee
Gold Member
I just had to share about my busy but fun weekend. Every Labor Day DH's family and another family go camping together, this is the 24th year! They started when DH and his sibs were kids, and now there are 12 grandkids! It is always a fun time, and so worth the 6 hrs in the car to get to the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan (we were at Van Buren State Park, for those who know it). The weather was gorgeous, the lake was warm and we had a wonderful weekend.

BUT, we went on Saturday morning this year, instead of Friday afternoon, because on Friday night DH and I were out at a swanky "do" in downtown Cleveland!!

Check out the picture, and I'd love to know if anyone can figure out who we are with! Probably no-one will recognise him...

JAJimLovellSmall.jpg

I'll give you a clue :): "Houston, we have a problem..."

PS DD just got back from Kindergarten and had a really fun time! Yay! And thanks for your prayers. Hopefully she will remember this when it comes to getting back on the bus tomorrow...

He has an honorary doctorate from my alma mater!

Annabel...glad you had such a wonderful time with your family this weekend!

BTW- you and your DH look GORGEOUS!! Hope you all had a great time together there, too!

Yep, you got it Janet :). We went to a "do" to celebrate 50 years of NASA, and they invited all of the Ohio astronauts (there are 28 who came from Ohio!). John Glenn was the honorary chair, and spoke, he was awesome, and Neil Armstrong and Jim Lovell were there too, as well as about 18 other astronauts, and the governor of Ohio, the head of NASA Glenn Research Center (where DH works), and Jay Barbaree among others.

It was an awesome night! I so would have loved to meet Neil Armstrong and John Glenn, but it was so cool to meet Jim Lovell. It was a pretty historic evening to have all those people together, and we heard so much about their space flights. Very, very cool!! And they were all very funny too!

Just don't ask me about my dress... :)

You were smokin in that dress Annabel! (not asking but definitely complimenting)

How cool to have met Jim Lovell!

Until seeing that picture, I didn't realise I even had cleavage! I'm not *at all* well endowed, and looking at myself in the mirror "straight on", it did not look at all like that!!!

The real story about the dress is that I bought an absolutely gorgueous fuschia silk dress when I was in England, it was 70% off, but still close to $100 dollars. I bought it especially for this black tie event and have never worn it. On Tuesday night while I was out at my DS's pre-school orientation my DH accidentally ruined it! It had a silk chiffon overlay that got shredded when my DH put a fan on in our bedroom window, too close to where I had hung the dress (ironcally to get it out of the bathroom where the kids where in the bath - I didn't want it to be splashed!). The fan sucked it up and it is just shredded. It is REALLY long, so it mgiht be salvagable, but it is empire waisted and needs to be pretty long to look right...

Anyway, needless to say, Wednesday night we were out at the mall trying to find another dress. Spent way too much, but it was gorgeous! Although when 95% of the women were wearing black, the fuschia would have been fun!!

Got to run and get lunch for the kiddos!

Oh Annabel, I feel for you about the ruined dress! You looked stunning in the one you got to replace it, though. (But I know what you mean about how you would have been one of a kind in fuchia in a sea of women in black dresses!)

Hope DH didn't get in too much trouble, since he was trying to help!!

No, DH didn't get into trouble - it was after all, an accident, and I knew he felt really bad about it too. And it was in the end only a dress that was spoiled, it's not as though a person that was hurt... I did love that dress though!

KellyTheChef said:
Annabel...glad you had such a wonderful time with your family this weekend!

BTW- you and your DH look GORGEOUS!! Hope you all had a great time together there, too!

I agree! WOW!! :D

Annabel,

Were they astronauts who were born in Ohio or did they include people who live there now? I am asking because my husband's cousin is an astronaut who lives in Ohio. His name is Mark Brown and he was on the space shuttle (twice, I think).

Wow Jeanine, how cool to have an astronaut cousin-in-law!!

Mark Brown was definately included (I checked my program), and I think he was there (I can't remember specifically because all of the ~20 astronauts that were there were introduced, and I just don't remember them all). I think the only ones who were NOT there were either deceased and then there were 2 who sent video greetings! It was so awesome!

Have you ever been able to go to the Cape for a launch? I have also met Jack Lousma, a very cool Michigan astronaut, he is a really neat guy, lives in the Ann Arbor area.

And finally, where in MI are you from? I lived in AA for 8 years before moving here 4 years ago. DH's family are almost all still in MI.

AnnieBee said:
Have you ever been able to go to the Cape for a launch? I have also met Jack Lousma, a very cool Michigan astronaut, he is a really neat guy, lives in the Ann Arbor area.

And finally, where in MI are you from? I lived in AA for 8 years before moving here 4 years ago. DH's family are almost all still in MI.

Do you have any of those things in life you wish you could do-over? One of the things DH and I would like a second chance at is attending a launch. At the time I guess we felt like we could not afford it but, looking back, it was the chance of a lifetime.

I live on the opposite side of the state, the southwestern corner. Niles is about 15 minutes from South Bend, IN.

I dod know what you mean! Which is actually why my DH and I went to this thing, even though it was quite expensive to go to (although we never splurge or hardly even go out for dinner on dates - we figured it was about 8 years of anniversary dinners all at once!). We realised it was one of those once-in-a-lifetime kind of things that we had the chance to attend, and figured that if we didn't go we'd probably regret it.

That is too bad you didn't get to see him go up though, but I totally understand about not feeling like you could afford it. Maybe there will be other chances that your c-in-law will be able to help get you back down there...

I do know where Niles is, would pass it whenever we would drive to Chicago (where DH is from), along I-94! Would always reminder me of Frasier!

1. Who did you meet at the Fun and Busy Labor Day Weekend event?

At the event, we had the opportunity to meet several celebrity chefs, including Ina Garten, Gordon Ramsay, and Bobby Flay.

2. What activities were available at the event?

There were a variety of activities to choose from, including cooking demonstrations, hands-on cooking classes, and a vendor marketplace featuring products from Pampered Chef and other kitchen brands.

3. Is the event family-friendly?

Yes, the event is perfect for families! There were kid-friendly cooking classes and activities, as well as a designated area for children to play while adults attended cooking demonstrations and classes.

4. Can I purchase Pampered Chef products at the event?

Yes, there was a vendor marketplace at the event where you could purchase Pampered Chef products, as well as products from other kitchen brands.

5. Are there any special deals or promotions during the event?

Yes, there were exclusive deals and promotions available during the event, including discounts on Pampered Chef products and limited edition items only available at the event.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• quiverfull7
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lacychef
Replies
Views
rebeccastt
Replies
Views
nikked