• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I encourage hosts to get orders ahead of time without being pushy?

In summary, Amanda was trying to get her family and friends to bring in more orders for her cooking shows, but they were difficult to work with. Amanda offered them incentives such as a free Quick Stir Pitcher or invitations to her shows, but it was not enough.
amybee
Okay, maybe it is because my last 2 shows were friends, but they have only had 6 or less guests show up. I have been giving out 2 catalogs and alot of order forms so my hosts can get as many outside orders as possible. I even give my hosts my website address to give out. None of them have had orders for me before the show and they have only gotten 1-3 orders after the show. How can I push them to get the orders ahead of time without be so pushy?

Well, sometimes friends & family can be the hardest hosts to have. Maybe try the "tic tac toe" idea or the 5-15-5 (5 orders before the show, 15 at show, and 5 after) concept to help them strive for higher attendance, more outside orders, and better overall sales. Other consultants have been mailing out the invitations for the host, and that seems to be boosting their at-show attendance too. Plus having the host fill out her wish list and then going over it with her could help too, if they didn't do that. Also, host coaching is very important too, but especially moreso when it is family or friends. From my experience, they really are a harder host to have.

Thanks Amanda. I have been doing the host coaching, but maybe I need to step it up some more. I have been handing out the flyer How to Have a $1000 show, so hopefully that will help too.

You could also try the Pitcher IdeaI know I saw it here somewhere, probably in the fliers section. But what you do is give the host the sheet. For each order they get, they write in the persons name under a pitcher. There are 25 pitchers. If they fill the sheet with names, hence orders, they get a free Quick Stir Pitcher from you. Place it on their host order so you save whatever percentage they earned on the show so it won't cost you as much and they get a warranty on it.

I agree, friends are tough to work with at times. They mean well, but they tend to cancel on you or have less of a turn out. Shows w/ my frends have been avg. $150.00. I am now trying to branch out, the word of mouth is the best!!! I have asked my friends to send me referrals vs. hosting a show... I get more out of it!

Try offering an incentiveI have noticed that my show sales have really increased when I offer them an incentive. This is what I do:

If they give me over $200 in outside orders before the show date, I'll give them the NEW Outdoor Party Plates, as a thank you gift. This has really worked! Some hosts have given me several hundred dollars in outside orders and has amounted to them getting a ton of FREE products!

Another thing I do is send out the invitations. It lets me have the control of know exactly how many people are invited andf I can let them know if they should invite more.

That's my 2 cents worth.:)

I'm frustrated this month too! I started out with 4 cooking shows 1 catalog show and a vendor fair. Now three of my cooking shows have either rescheduled or changed it to catalog shows. :( And the one catalog host I can't get a hold of. It's going to be hard to even meet my goal this month. It's a big disappointment after my great month last month. I'm going to have to get on the phone tomorrow or this weekend and get some bookings!!!!

I was listening to one of the host coaching CDs and have started saying something like "all of my past hosts agree that by having 5 outside orders when I arrive, will dramatically change the outcome of your show". I tell them this on my first call when I am going over the host packet. This has really helped the hosts be more motivated in getting the outside orders.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I like the idea of the incentive for bringing $200 in outside orders before the show date. I could make it be whatever the guest special is, since the host cannot get it themselves. I have 3 more shows for this month and I will do that with them. Thank you all again. I love Chef Success!!!:)

Guest special
amybee said:
Thank you all for your suggestions. I like the idea of the incentive for bringing $200 in outside orders before the show date. I could make it be whatever the guest special is, since the host cannot get it themselves. I have 3 more shows for this month and I will do that with them. Thank you all again. I love Chef Success!!!:)

The host can get the guest special if they meet the requirements. I.E. spend $60 and get Casual Cooking or the BBQ tools. If the host spends $60 of her own money after her free products and 1/2 price, she can get the guest special, too!

I love that CD she is talking about! It has some great ideas that I had never heard before, and it has improved my shows "dramatically"! I can't remember which CD it is, but it's in the host coaching section and the lady she's quoting has a New York accent.

I offer incentives. If she has 5 PREPAID outside orders before I arrive at her show, I'll give her a cookbook. If she has at least 15 adults in attendance, I'll upgrade their doorprize.

I don't mention this until I sit down with her after the show, but I'll show her where she's currently at, and tell her that if she goes up 3 levels, for instance, from the $300 range to the $600 range, I'll give her a choice of: Chopper, 4 pc colander set, Rectangular Chillzanne, or Stone Bar Pan.

Also, if they fill out the 50 friends in 5 minute flyer COMPLETELY, send it to me completed, and have 15 guests in attendance, I'll bring her a mini spatula.

One last thing, I just started this for the April shows, so I don't know how it will go, but I'm trying an ATTENDEE SPECIAL. I include labels for the host to stick on the invites that says: ATTENDEE SPECIAL: Attend the show to receive the host's favorite product at 10% off!
Here's my thinking, they always spend more, better chance for bookings/recruit leads if they attend the show. Also, they are likely to want something that their friend is raving about. So, I'm hoping it will improve the show total as well as bookings/ recruit leads.

The CD is #AV 11The CD you are referring to is AV11 Building relationships for better host coaching by Lisa Vales and Jayne Cannon 2003 Ntl. Conference. It is one of the best CD's I have ever listened to! Last year at this exact time I was in a slump with cancellations. My May was a disaster. I had purchased this CD but never listened to it. I pulled it out of the dust pile and all but memorized it. I can't tell you how much of a difference it has made in my business. 1 year later and my cancellation ratio is almost "0". I use many of the ideas I heard from that CD because I am comfortable with them and they seem to work for me. I purchased several copies and give them to all my recruits. This is one area that it is hard to train new consultants on. It's a series of phone conversations you have with your host and a recruit can't always be on the call. But like Lisa says on her CD "if you don't coach your host, your leaving it up to the last person they had a show with to determine your success. If her last consultant was a Mary K consultant, she would be thrilled to have 5 people around her table."

NO WAY! Rock the house and fill the room!

Hope this helps.

Guest SpecialI was under the impression that the host was not able to get the special. When I was a host I spent the money and was told by my consultant that I was not able to get the guest special. Maybe I should check with HO.

Host can definitely get the free product with the purchase... with $60 that they spend...even if it's from half-price items, etc...they dish out $60 they get the free outdoor plates or casual cooking.

You need to give more than TWO catalogs. One for the host...she should always have one for herself... Then I always give at least four others... five total...and ask if that is enough for her...

They say..."For every catalog you give out ...the host will get $100 in orders." Not that I have found this to be true...but that is her potential..
So with two catalogs expect only $200 --IF you're lucky!
And I agree... encourage them with the incentive flyers, and hostess coach!

Five orders before the show! and Five orders after the show!

I really like that quote about giving catalogs gets $100 in orders for each. It doesn't always work, but I don't like to take the chance of my host not having enough. My host always give me back everything that they didn't use also, so I get them back if they didn't need them. I put everything in an envelope and they always return unused invites, show info flyers and catalogs so I can reuse them.Also, until recently I didn't think my host could get the guest special either. I thought it was only for guests since it is the "guest" special. It is just another incentive for hosts!Gillian Wright
Wasilla, Alaska

I also give my Host's 6 catalogs and usually get 3 or 4 back at the show!! Then on my 2nd Host Coaching Call I ask them if they need more and encourage them to give them to friends and family to get outside orders. When I was a Host I always had to ask for more catalogs because I had friends that would get outside orders for me and because of this I had $1500.00 shows! Lots of FREE stuff for me!!:D There were times when I would not have one for myself but I would rather have them out selling than sitting in my envelope. They are only .39/ea...$2.34 total. If you had a $200.00 show the cost of the catalogs are only 1% of your commission if you don't get any of them back and most shows are higher than that!! Our Catalog is our best selling tool out on the street!!:cool:

And yes, Host's always get the guest special if they spend the required amount!

Last edited:
My director gave me this letter to give to my hosts. Her cancellation rate has gone way down with it. I've noticed that mine has started decreased as well.

Attachments

• Thank You Letter.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 706
Thank you letterDonna, when do you mail out this letter? Right after you book the show?

My director says she mails it out after she's given or mailed them their packet. I've emailed it to some of my host's.

What are some common frustrations with hosts lately?

Some common frustrations with hosts lately include last-minute cancellations, low attendance at parties, lack of communication and follow-through, and not meeting sales or booking goals.

How can I handle last-minute cancellations?

If a host cancels their party last minute, it's important to communicate with them and express your disappointment. You can also offer to reschedule or have a virtual party instead. It's also helpful to have a cancellation policy in place for your business.

What can I do if a party has low attendance?

If a party has low attendance, it's important to stay positive and make the most of the guests who do show up. You can also encourage the host to reach out to their guests and remind them of the party. Additionally, offering incentives or rewards for guests who bring a friend can help boost attendance.

How should I handle hosts who don't follow through with their commitments?

If a host is not following through with their commitments, it's important to communicate with them and address the issue. You can also offer to provide support and assistance to help them meet their goals. It's also helpful to have a clear agreement or contract in place with hosts to avoid misunderstandings.

What can I do if a host doesn't meet their sales or booking goals?

If a host doesn't meet their sales or booking goals, it's important to have a conversation with them and find out the reasons for their lack of success. You can offer tips and suggestions for how they can improve, and also provide support and resources to help them achieve their goals. It's also important to set realistic expectations and goals with hosts before the party.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • rchamelin
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Nanisu