• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling to Balance Marriage and Business - Any Tips or Advice?

In summary, the newly-wed Kat is juggling her work schedule with her desire to spend more time with her family. She has a system in place for hosting and recruiting calls, and makes use of her weekly off days to focus on other aspects of her business. But her husband is not content with the amount of time she is spending away from him and is pressuring her to quit her business. Overall, Kat is happy with her business and her family is supportive.
Kathytnt
I am a newly-wed (11-12-05) Whle my hubby and I were getting to know each other I was a participant in Team in Training - A program that helps people train for endurance events like marathons, triathlons and in return they raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society :D
About a month after our wedding my mom was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. In late Feb I signed with PC to start a business to do fund-raisers for the LLS. Because I dpnt think 10-15% s very much I have been giving my commissons to the TNT particpants and other cancer organizations I have worked with.
Once I started going to cluster meetings and all I started getting excited about making money on regular shows and now that I have recruited two people and became an FD I am excited about building a business.
Problem is that my hubby is not pleased with the amount of time it is taking away from him. I love him dearly :D
I am a bit disorganized so it sure doesn't help me get in and out of the office and ready for shows very fast. :rolleyes:
The cluster meetings get my competitive spirit going and I have a tendency to be an all or nothing type so it hard doing things half-way. I didn't think about this being a problem when I got started.
He has been great about getting the office set up and helping me with labeling catalogs and such so it's not that he isn't supportive it just that he doesn't understand my desire to build a business not just do this as a hobby.
I want it so I can be proud of myelf and that he would be proud of me and my family also Right now though with the fundraiser system I have been doing there isn't much money coming in from the biz - Lots of product since I have earned almost all incentives except when my mother passed in June.

Can anyone relate or have any suggestions?? :confused:

Kat

Make yourself a scheduleAfter two years in the business, and almost quitting because I felt like all I did was TPC, I finally came to the realization that not treating my business like a BUSINESS was killing me.

The first thing we (myself and Hubby) did was sit down and look at at a blank month. We figured out which Saturdays I would work, and which Friday/Sundays, alternating each week, so I have every other Saturday or Friday/Sunday off to plan stuff with the family. The only exception to this is November and December because of holidays and deadlines. My family (especially the kids) are much happier knowing that Mommy won't be working every Saturday. I am much happier because I don't do "back to back" shows, which exhaust me. The trick is to stick to the schedule. I have highlighted the days I will do a show, and a potential host must work with me. I will not budge, and it is paying off.

Then, we made "days":

Monday is team training/contact day. I spend a couple of hours calling my downline and checking in.

Wednesday is mail day. Post office visits are a hassel for me, and I felt like I was always going. Now, I tell hosts, customers, etc., that Wednesday is my mail day, and whatever it is I am sending out will go out then. Now, I get along with the post office, and am happier! We chose Wednesday for this because I drop my 5 year old off for speech at 1:30 and don't pick her up until 3, so I have a nice chunck of time. I also try to schedule the rare delivery on that day.

Friday is my customer care day. I made a log that I track any return requests on, and again, I tell the customer that I will handle the issue on Friday. If I have to call on any of them, I will call on all of them; otherwise, I do it all online. The log I made is in excel, which we can't post here. If anyone would like it, PLEASE EMAIL ME at [email protected] with "Return Log Request" in the subject line.

Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have set aside time for host coaching and recruiting calls.

My long standing customers are all loving the new schedule, because they know when I will take of an issue, and that I will actually do it. My downline is loving the new schedule, because they know when they can get ahold of me.

But, most importantly, my family is thrilled because I am no longer so stressed out, and they know when they can schedule events.

Sorry this is so long, but this is something I just became really passionate about. It sure is making a difference for me!

Kathy,
Fisrt, sorry about your mom.
Second, has your hubby actually been to your shows?? See how and what you do??
I know I spend allot of time of my business, more than I thought, but I'm hoping when I get into a better routine, it'll be less and I'll have more time to spend with family. I just actually do more things in evenings, when hubby and kids are in bed, so I'm not "away" from them. I try to do paperwork then.

I'm also trying to stream line getting my hostess packet fillers in order, making lots of copies at a time and putting into file folders and having ready to make a packet(s) as I need.

I'm not sure I'm helping with what I'm writing, but I hear you and can relate, you just have to do you best and pray to God that things work out as he sees fit and ask for his help and guidance, I know I do that everyday.

Today for example, I've got shows I submitted on the 5th at the crack of midnight, and I still don't have receipts printed for hostesses, I really need to get them ready to mail out on Tues. I "should" have been working my buisiness today as I didn't have a show, but today is a family day, we did Day on a Dairy farm today and had a blast, so tonight I'll be working more once kids are in bed, but I had great time with my family!!

I'm praying for sucess for a fundraiser I've got going, but I won't make as much, as I said I'd donate part of my commission, as I also think 10-15% sucks as what group gets, so I really won't make much $, but hopefully my name will get out and I'll get more booking and such. I'm leaving in God's hands.

HTH,

Lisa

Thanks for the helpful answers ladies -

Nicole - When did you become a director and how did you become and accidental director??

Long story short...
Kathytnt said:
Thanks for the helpful answers ladies -

Nicole - When did you become a director and how did you become and accidental director??

Too funny. I've had that signature since July, and I think you're the first one to ask! I'm assuming you're the one who emailed me...been swamped this weekend, shampooing carpets and training my new recruit :D

Long story short: I had an inactive consultant who went active without me or my AD realizing it. Was not expecting "The Call" and actually turned it down at first, being nervous about having a solid enough team. Called them back though, and took it!

Had dinner with King Tut, ate breakfast with Doris, and all that other fun stuff that happens when you promote. Was pretty cool!

Nicole, thanks for the helpful hints.

Ann

well I am starting a Step up program and trying to get organized - Lots of paperwork for my part time job too

Thanks and congrats of becoming a Director!!!!

Kathy

I was wondering about your signature too, but I thought I just missed something and everyone else knew!

What are or where wil I be able to find the Future director reports??

I know this is a super old thread but I'm bumping it in hopes that someone has a returns tracker log that they can post. Plus I'd like to see if anyone has any new schedules that they've come up with to organize their work week.

What are some quick and easy meal ideas for busy weeknights?

One popular option is our one-pot chicken and vegetable stir-fry. Simply cook chicken and your choice of vegetables in a large skillet, then add in a stir-fry sauce and serve over rice or noodles. Another option is our taco ring, made with crescent roll dough, ground beef, and your favorite taco toppings.

How can I save time and energy in the kitchen?

Investing in some quality kitchen tools can greatly streamline your cooking process. Our food chopper and garlic press are great for quickly prepping ingredients, and our non-stick cookware makes for easy clean-up. Meal planning and prepping in advance can also save time and energy during busy weekdays.

What are some healthy alternatives for classic comfort foods?

We offer a variety of healthier options for popular comfort foods. Our spiralizer can turn vegetables like zucchini and sweet potatoes into noodles for a low-carb pasta alternative. Our air fryer is perfect for making crispy "fried" foods without all the extra oil. We also have recipes for lighter versions of mac and cheese, lasagna, and more.

How can I make mealtime more enjoyable for picky eaters?

Getting kids involved in the cooking process can make mealtime more fun and engaging. Our kid-friendly tools, like our cookie cutters and pancake molds, can make meal prep more exciting for little ones. You can also try incorporating more variety in meals, offering small portions of new foods alongside familiar favorites.

What are some healthy and convenient snack options?

Our microwave popcorn maker is a great way to enjoy a healthier version of this classic snack. We also offer a variety of fruit and vegetable slicers and corers to make snacking on fresh produce easier. Our no-bake energy bites and homemade granola bars are also great options for a quick and nutritious snack.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• milkangel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PamperedSD
  • 1995tucker
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies