• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grilling Pineapple & Planting: YUM-O!

In summary, to grow a pineapple plant from a discarded top, first slice the crown off the fruit, remove all the flesh, then slice small, horizontal sections from the crown until you see root buds. Plant the root buds in soil and leave the lower leaves stripped off.
jrstephens
I am doing the Aloha Pizza at a show soon and thought I needed to practice peeling a fresh pineapple. I bought one this weekend. It was VERY easy to do with the Santoku knife.

And that was the best tasting thing!! OMGoodness!! I do not know if I can ever eat canned pineapple again!

I grilled some too b/c I had been seeing Paula Deen and others doing it on the FN. It was so good that way too!

YUM-O!!!

Also, I was told you could plant the top of the pineapple like a regular plant. Does anyone know if it requires lots of sun or water to grow? I am going to start it in a pot and then if it does well transfer it to my yard.

jrstephens said:
Also, I was told you could plant the top of the pineapple like a regular plant. Does anyone know if it requires lots of sun or water to grow? I am going to start it in a pot and then if it does well transfer it to my yard.

I just heard the same thing yesterday!! I can't wait to try it! I don't know if it will ever bear fruit, but it will be a fun tropical tree! I am assuming a lot of sun and warm temperature....being the climates they are naturally found in! I was told to start by rooting it in water at first, then plant it in a pot!

jenniferknapp said:
I just heard the same thing yesterday!! I can't wait to try it! I don't know if it will ever bear fruit, but it will be a fun tropical tree! I am assuming a lot of sun and warm temperature....being the climates they are naturally found in! I was told to start by rooting it in water at first, then plant it in a pot!

I am going to search for some directions on it and will post it here. As much as pineapple we may be using this summer this would be great to share with our hosts too.

jrstephens said:
And that was the best tasting thing!! OMGoodness!! I do not know if I can ever eat canned pineapple again!
I have always bought fresh pineapple (except for recipes like cakes). My DH hated pineapple until I served it as part of a meal. He had never had fresh before either! Now he LOVES it!

I used the top of the pineapple as a garnish. After I put the Jerk Chicken Salad (with pasta) together I put the pineapple top in the middle of the bowl (the dot large bowl of course) and it looked awesome!!

PS: It really is easy to cut the peel off but if you don't want to do that you can buy fresh pineapple already peeled in the deli section of the grocery store.

I just bought one yesterday, and the produce manager was great in helping me pick a ripe one. I had always been told that if you should smell the bottom to find a ripe one (no comments from the peanut gallery:eek: ), but the produce guy said that the tips should snap easily if it is ripe.

Here is what I found about planting them:

Save Your Pineapple Top

by Gayla Sanders

If you happen to have a pineapple on hand to eat, (and they are abundant and cheap during the late spring and summer months), then why not take a few minutes and grow your own pineapple plant from the discarded top?

It seems nearly mythological that anyone can grow a tropical fruit such as pineapple in his or her own home. But as long as you have a sunny window and a moderate indoor climate you can grow your own. Don't expect a large harvest. Each plant produces one fruit and yours will never grow to the size of a full grown Hawaiian-farmed plant, unless you do live in a tropical climate.

A fruit that is green and fresh picked is best. But, since it is unlikely that you would want to eat such a fruit, try to find one that is ripe but not overripe. Test for ripeness by gently pulling on a leaf. If it pops out with ease, the fruit is overripe.

At home, slice the crown (that's the leafy top part) off the fruit. Be sure to remove all the flesh. If you don't remove this material it may rot in the soil. Carefully slice small, horizontal sections from the crown until you see root buds that appear as small dots or circles on the cut surface. [See pic] The root buds are where the roots will eventually emerge and exposing them will facilitate quicker root formation. My pineapple top already had small roots formed as well. Strip off about an inch of lower leaves from the base to provide a stem for planting in the soil. Then set the plant top aside for a minimum of seven days in a dry place, out of full sun. The cut end must be allowed to heal and dry before planting, otherwise the plant will rot in the soil.

Although the pineapple plant is a Bromeliad, it is not an air plant and requires a soil bed. Regular potting soil is sufficient, but I like to add a small amount of sand to the mixture. Pineapple plants require soil that is barely moist, not wet. I suggest using a clay or terra cotta pot that breathes, to help avoid over-watering. Water your plant once a week, spraying the leaves in addition to wetting the soil. Fertilize four to six times a year.

The pineapple plant requires a lot of light. Keep yours in a sunny window throughout the winter, in a location that is protected from drafts and cold temperatures. In summer place your plant outside in a sunny location, being careful to allow the plant to adjust to more direct light by placing it in an area with partial sun for a few days first. If you don't take this precaution your plant will be burned. Do not leave your plant out during freezing weather. Pineapple plants should never be subjected to temperatures lower then 60 degrees F ( 16 C ).

Getting a pineapple to bear fruit is harder than growing one. Once your plant is approximately 25-30 inches tall it will flower and produce fruit on its own. But how many people have the space for a 30 inch plus spiky plant? It will take at least two years to grow a plant of that size in a temperate climate.

Luckily, there is a way to force your plant to flower and bear fruit when it is half that size.

Wait until the winter season when the days are shorter and the nights cooler. Pineapple plants normally begin to produce fruit during this time. Place the entire plant, including the pot, into a plastic bag with some ripe apples. As apples rot, they emit Ethylene gas which tricks the plant into forming a flower instead of producing new leaves. Keep the plant in the bag with the apples for approximately 2 weeks or so. Place the plant back in a sunny window and wait for a flower spike to form in the center of the plant.

After several months the flower will dry out and the pineapple will form at the top end of the stem. Wait until the fruit turns a golden yellow colour before picking. After harvesting the fruit you may notice new shoots left on the plant. These can be removed and planted in the same method as the original mother plant. You can also grow another plant from the crown of the harvested fruit, leaving you with several, new, free plants.

amy07 said:
I just bought one yesterday, and the produce manager was great in helping me pick a ripe one. I had always been told that if you should smell the bottom to find a ripe one (no comments from the peanut gallery:eek: ), but the produce guy said that the tips should snap easily if it is ripe.

My produce lady told me the greener they were the fresher they are. She said they throw them out when they become yellow. I will have to try that with the tips!

I was also told to sniff the bottom and if it smells sweet then it is ripe! You will start to see a little mold growing on the bottom if it is overripe.I can't wait to try and plant my own pineapple plant! :p

1. How do I prepare my pineapple for grilling?

To prepare your pineapple for grilling, start by cutting off the top and bottom of the pineapple. Then, carefully slice off the skin, making sure to remove all of the eyes. Next, cut the pineapple into rings or chunks, depending on your preference. Finally, pat the pineapple dry with a paper towel before placing it on the grill.

2. Do I need to marinate the pineapple before grilling?

While you can certainly marinate your pineapple before grilling, it is not necessary. Pineapple naturally has a delicious sweetness that is enhanced when grilled, so you can simply season it with a little salt and pepper before cooking.

3. What is the best way to grill pineapple?

The best way to grill pineapple is over direct medium heat. Place the pineapple on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until grill marks appear and the pineapple is heated through. You can also brush the pineapple with a little bit of oil or honey for added flavor.

4. Can I use canned pineapple for grilling?

While fresh pineapple is recommended for grilling, you can also use canned pineapple if that is all you have available. Just make sure to drain the pineapple well and pat it dry before placing it on the grill.

5. Can I plant the pineapple top after grilling?

Yes, you can plant the pineapple top after grilling. To do so, remove the bottom leaves of the pineapple top and let it dry for a few days. Then, plant it in a pot with well-draining soil and water regularly. It may take several months for the pineapple to grow, but it can be a fun and rewarding project!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Shawnna
Back