Join Chef Success Today!
Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!
-6 Tbsp Butter (3/4 stick), divided
-6 oz French bread, sliced into 16 (1/2") slices
-8 oz cremini mushrooms, quartered
-5 large sweet onions
-3 garlic cloves, pressed
-1 Tbsp sugar
-1 Cup dry red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon)
-3 Tbsp flour
-8 Cups unsalted beef stock
-2 tsp salt
-1 tsp ground black pepper
-3 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 Tbsp leaves
-6 oz Gruyere cheese, sheeded (1-1/2 Cups)
1. Melt 1 Tbsp of the butter in Dutch Oven over medium heat. Toast bread 1-2 minutes per side or until light golden brown; remove bread; set aside.
2. Add 1 Tbsp of the butter and mushrooms to the Dutch Oven; cook, uncovered 8-9 minutes, or until mushrooms are deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove mushrooms.
3. Meanwhile, slice onions with Simple Slicer on #2 setting. Add remaining 4 Tbsp butter, onions, garlic and sugar to Dutch Oven, cook, uncovered 25-30 minutes or until onions are dark brown, stirring occasionally.
4. Add wine; cook, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or until liquid is no longer visible, but onions are still moist. Stir in flour, cook 1 minute. Stir in stock, salt, pepper, and mushrooms. Insert thyme springs into Herb Infuser, add to soup. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until soup comes to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and remove Herb Infuser.
5. Preheat broiler. Arrange toasted bread over soup; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Place Dutch Oven 2-4 inches from heating element; broil 2-4 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. Remove from oven; sprinkle with thyme leaves.