• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Which brand of French Door refrigerator is the best choice?

In summary, the French door fridge options available to consumers seem to be plentiful, with both Samsung and LG brands being represented. However, reviewers note that the LG ice maker can be noisy, and the Samsung has a water and ice dispenser in the door.
kam
Staff member
We are looking at getting a French Door Refrigerator.

I am noticing that Samsung and LG seem to have quite a few that stores are showing. These are not brands that I am familiar with. (In the past, we always looked at GE, Whirlpool, Kenmore, etc).

Does anyone have a French Door fridge that they like?

Has anyone done some research on French Door fridges and care to share any tips?

We want the water/ice dispenser in the door. I notice that the LG has the ice machine in the door while the Samsung has it in the fridge part. Anyone know any pros/cons?

Any insight would be appreciated. :)

We recently got a 31 cu ft Kenmore French door fridge. I checked out online reviews on Home Depot, Lowes and Sears websites. One issue people mentioned was the ice maker being loud. I have not had that problem. I like having 3 drawers in the freezer. It helps with organization and making sure the little things don't get lost. I didn't like the ones with a separate middle fridge drawer for deli trays. We have that inside the fridge. There was the same version of the one we got with a Grab n Go feature in the door where you could open the little cubby only to get the milk etc. without having to open the whole fridge. The kids loved that one in the store but DH and I thought it wasn't necessary and just one more thing that could break. Look at how the shelves are laid out. That's where the ice maker set-up will come into play. Ours has the in the door maker. It makes less ice but takes up less space in the fridge.

Samsung and LG are huge Korean conglomerates with several operations, including electronics, chemicals and refrigeration.Whirlpool Corporation is now part of a conglomerate that markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air and Amana, who all used to be stand-alone manufacturers of some note before the multiple mergers that made it tough to tell who makes what for who anymore.I know Whirlpool used to make some of the Kenmore products but I can't swear to that anymore - who the heck knows?

Our Whirlpool is shutting down and moving out of the country...thousands of jobs lost. I have many family and friends that worked there. I used to buy their products, but won't anymore. Yes, they make Kenmore products as well.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Samsung and LG are huge Korean conglomerates with several operations, including electronics, chemicals and refrigeration.

Whirlpool Corporation is now part of a conglomerate that markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air and Amana, who all used to be stand-alone manufacturers of some note before the multiple mergers that made it tough to tell who makes what for who anymore.

I know Whirlpool used to make some of the Kenmore products but I can't swear to that anymore - who the heck knows?
I believe LG is making the Kenmore Fr Door fridges...at least the higher capacity ones we looked at. They were definitely LG. It is just weird that I don't think LG or Samsung were even brands considered in fridges 8 yrs ago. At least not ones that were on my radar.

Becca_in_MD said:
We recently got a 31 cu ft Kenmore French door fridge. I checked out online reviews on Home Depot, Lowes and Sears websites. One issue people mentioned was the ice maker being loud. I have not had that problem. I like having 3 drawers in the freezer. It helps with organization and making sure the little things don't get lost. I didn't like the ones with a separate middle fridge drawer for deli trays. We have that inside the fridge. There was the same version of the one we got with a Grab n Go feature in the door where you could open the little cubby only to get the milk etc. without having to open the whole fridge. The kids loved that one in the store but DH and I thought it wasn't necessary and just one more thing that could break. Look at how the shelves are laid out. That's where the ice maker set-up will come into play. Ours has the in the door maker. It makes less ice but takes up less space in the fridge.

I know EXACTLY the one you are talking about. This is one we are looking at, too (or its LG equal). The Grab N Go is about $400 more, I think. We are not looking at that one either. I was liking the 3 drawers in the freezer, too, but wasn't sure if in actual practice it was useful. It helps to hear that you like the 3 drawers in the freezer.

DH is leaning toward LG/Kenmore and I am leaning toward Samsung. I feel that the Samsung ice maker holds more (box on top shelf in fridge) than the ones on the door (LG/Kenmore) but I have been unable to get exact info. LG/Kenmore says it makes 120-140 cubes in 24 hrs. But that does not tell me how MUCH ice the unit actually holds. Were you able to get info that the Samsung holds more?

I have NOT been wanting to do this from the simple fact of delivery hassles. We have always had Kenmore fridges and when we moved into our house 8 yrs ago, had a new one delivered. It was a complete nightmare. I vowed NEVER EVER EVER to order anything from Sears that had to be delivered. I was actually being yelled at by the delivery man.

So, we looked at Sears just to have a good display of various brands to compare, but I think I would pay more just to get the LG somewhere else. But who knows if Best Buy delivery is any better?

Shawnna said:
Our Whirlpool is shutting down and moving out of the country...thousands of jobs lost. I have many family and friends that worked there. I used to buy their products, but won't anymore. Yes, they make Kenmore products as well.

Shame to hear this. This is one place (Maytag store) that I was going to look at just because they actually employ very good delivery people.

I think the Samsung with the ice holder in the fridge holds more ice than the in-the-door holder. Like I said I think you give up shelf space in the fridge for it but might get more shelf space in the door. The one we got has shelves inside the door with the ice maker. My in-laws' older Fr. Door doesn't have those shelves. I have a bunch of salad dressings in them. I need fridge space for all of the PC sauces I have in there. I hated our top-freezer fridge because all of the frozen food was just shoved in there and more than once I had frozen meat fall out onto my foot. I loved having a side-by-side because of the shelves in the freezer. Having the 3 drawers in the freezer now helps me with small boxes of stuff and little ice packs in the shallow middle drawer. Frozen meats and coffee beans (DH needs to stop stocking up) are in the top drawer. Bigger boxes and bags of stuff like nuggets, waffles, ice cream are in the big bottom drawer. There is a little fold out tray along the top of the drawer "door" that holds itty things like little bags of nuts. I don't mind reaching down for the frozen things. Ours came with an ice bin that fits in the top drawer if we wanted to make more ice and store it.

Our Sears saleswoman was very helpful. Not all of them are. She told us about our state's energy rebate program which I didn't think was still going on so that's $150. Our utility company had another $50 rebate if you turn in a working fridge for recycling and you don't have to pay the haul away fee (something that is often free or negotiated away anyway). The delivery guys were good. The same guys were the ones who showed up the next day to take away the old fridge. Sears must be the subcontractor for the recycling program but no, they couldn't just do it all in one trip. If you go with Sears be sure to be a member of their rewards program. You'll get enough points to get your next filter for the fridge for free.

Becca_in_MD said:
I think the Samsung with the ice holder in the fridge holds more ice than the in-the-door holder. Like I said I think you give up shelf space in the fridge for it but might get more shelf space in the door. The one we got has shelves inside the door with the ice maker. My in-laws' older Fr. Door doesn't have those shelves. I have a bunch of salad dressings in them. I need fridge space for all of the PC sauces I have in there. I hated our top-freezer fridge because all of the frozen food was just shoved in there and more than once I had frozen meat fall out onto my foot. I loved having a side-by-side because of the shelves in the freezer. Having the 3 drawers in the freezer now helps me with small boxes of stuff and little ice packs in the shallow middle drawer. Frozen meats and coffee beans (DH needs to stop stocking up) are in the top drawer. Bigger boxes and bags of stuff like nuggets, waffles, ice cream are in the big bottom drawer. There is a little fold out tray along the top of the drawer "door" that holds itty things like little bags of nuts. I don't mind reaching down for the frozen things. Ours came with an ice bin that fits in the top drawer if we wanted to make more ice and store it.

Our Sears saleswoman was very helpful. Not all of them are. She told us about our state's energy rebate program which I didn't think was still going on so that's $150. Our utility company had another $50 rebate if you turn in a working fridge for recycling and you don't have to pay the haul away fee (something that is often free or negotiated away anyway). The delivery guys were good. The same guys were the ones who showed up the next day to take away the old fridge. Sears must be the subcontractor for the recycling program but no, they couldn't just do it all in one trip. If you go with Sears be sure to be a member of their rewards program. You'll get enough points to get your next filter for the fridge for free.

Thanks for the info! We have the freezer on the top now and that is why we are looking too! DH is sick of everything falling out onto him when he gets something from the freezer. It is a constant argument. I will have to look at the reward program, if I go with Sears. I know if I open a credit card, I get more off...and at this price, it may be worth it.

I was figuring that itty bitty tray on the door of the freezer would be perfect for my small ice packs.

How hard is it to change the water filter? It is on the "ceiling" of the fridge? Do you also have an air filter to change?

And on the Kenmore, I noticed that the fridge drawers only had one humidity ajustment...on the left. Does that control both drawers? Or is the right one already "set" as veggie or fruit?

Do you like that the freezer door "tilts"? Do you use the tilt out or do you find yourself always opening the freezer drawer?

Sears delivery story:
When we had our fridge delivered 8 yrs ago (from Sears), they came and first freaked out that they had to enter a back door (for fridge to fit). The back door led into the kitchen and was no farther to walk the fridge than if they had to go through the garage.

Then I saw the doors opened wrong (from what I had asked). He did not have the proper tools to change the door. He was all kinds of pissed since the fridge we ordered (Kenmore) required a special tool to change the doors and he did not have it. So he started using a hammer and screw driver to bang on the door hinges!!! I said NO WAY! I am not taking the fridge with scratches (he had scratched up one of the hinges). He said I HAD to take the fridge. He did not get paid unless I took the fridge. I told him to take the fridge back, I was refusing delivery. He threatened to leave it in the driveway or on the road.:eek:

So, I called the sales person at the store and he told me to keep the fridge and they would replace it. It would take a few weeks to get the fridge replaced and this way I would have a fridge to use. All the while the delivery person is yelling at me since he has to wait for me to make this call.

So, I told them to leave the doors opening wrong and go ahead and install the fridge. They would NOT hook up the water line. It was laying there all ready to go and they said it was not part of the install.

I was actually becoming afraid of this delivery crew. The leader was yelling and having all kinds of fits.

For the replacement delivery I raised a stink about the delivery crew and insisted that we would get someone else and demanded that the water line be hooked up. The second install was much better.

I am dreading the delivery SO much that I am trying everything in my power not to buy from Sears.

THANKS!

For what it's worth, the delivery crews are likely just contracted out anyway, not even truly Sears employees most likely. You could get the same type of people from anywhere. And remember, you ultimately have the upper hand, because if they treat you poorly or do something stupid like the last guy, you complain loud enough and he likely loses his job. For safety, just be sure to keep your phone in your hand the whole time. Or schedule the delivery when your husband or a neighbor is home.

We just purchased a Whirlpool, Freezer on bottom, french door, Convienence drawer in center, with ice and water on the door from Lowes. It is the model from 2011 and he 2012s just came out so we got it for less than the scratch and dent models. The new one goes for $2600 and we go ours brand new for $1250. Definately look for models that came out with new features. I like it okay. I am pleased with the water/ice feature and the freezer. Not a huge fan of the drawer as there are no controls for it but it works. Ours was delivered by Lowes' employees and they gave us a ton of info and a short demo of the fridge before they left.

esavvymom said:
For what it's worth, the delivery crews are likely just contracted out anyway, not even truly Sears employees most likely. You could get the same type of people from anywhere. And remember, you ultimately have the upper hand, because if they treat you poorly or do something stupid like the last guy, you complain loud enough and he likely loses his job. For safety, just be sure to keep your phone in your hand the whole time. Or schedule the delivery when your husband or a neighbor is home.

That is my whole issue with Sears...contracted out delivery. I am almost certain Lowes is the same way. Not sure about Best Buy...but no guarantee. Maybe with Sears I can explain to the sales person my issue and maybe he can make a note for delivery. This is not a small purchase. So, maybe to make a sale they will work with me.

When I bought my washer/dryer I went to a small Maytag store and the delivery guys are actual employees. WONDERFUL service and install. They were also VERY careful in my house. Which is NOT true of other deliveries we have had.

my son just bought the Samsung for his new house he likes it. I hate that the water dispenser is on the inside of the fridge.I have a Kitchen aid with the freezer drawer on bottom and above it the long crisper drawer, had the first about a week and it quit working lost everything.... it just passed the 1 year mark still get nervous when I open it sometimes.

We got a samsung french door a couple years ago. Couple complaints: Water accumulates in one of the crispers and the "repair" man couldn't find any evidence of it, so I just have to live with it. WAY ANNOYING! Somehow it drips down from the back of the bin and pools inside it. We've not figured out how to stop it or where it even comes from.We don't have the ice/water option, but have the auto ice maker. Makes tons of ice but if you don't use it and don't stir it up every now and then it freezes together in one big clump.

TAKE AN EMPTY MILK JUG WITH YOU!!!!
While you can return a large appliance it's not the easiest thing to do, so we opted to keep ours. My kids go through tons of milk. On our model milk only fits in the door, one on each side. Want to put your QS pitcher in there, has to be in the door. No QS pitcher b/c the milk is there. Very annoying!! Shelves aren't adjustable to accommodate the milk on any shelf without loosing a complete shelf. So we have to lay the milk on the side, then set it up on the middle shelf. This is probably the worst complaint, well that and the ice issue and water in the crisper. Hopefully they've redesigned them since we purchased ours.

1. How do I properly clean and maintain my French door refrigerator?

To keep your French door refrigerator in optimal condition, regularly clean the interior and exterior with a mild soap and water solution. Wipe down the door seals and gaskets with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or debris. It is also important to vacuum the condenser coils at least twice a year to prevent dust buildup. Additionally, be sure to keep the refrigerator at least 2 inches away from the wall to allow for proper air flow.

2. How do I adjust the temperature on my French door refrigerator?

The temperature control for a French door refrigerator is typically located on the control panel on the inside of the fridge. Use the up and down arrows to adjust the temperature to your desired setting. It is recommended to keep the fridge temperature between 35-38 degrees Fahrenheit and the freezer between 0-5 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal food preservation.

3. Why is my French door refrigerator making loud noises?

It is common for a French door refrigerator to make some noise during operation, such as a humming or clicking sound. However, if you notice loud or unusual noises, it could be a sign of a problem. Check to make sure the fridge is level and that nothing is blocking the condenser fan. If the noise persists, it is best to contact a professional for further assistance.

4. Can I store hot food in my French door refrigerator?

No, it is not recommended to store hot food in a French door refrigerator. The hot food will raise the temperature inside the fridge, potentially causing other foods to spoil. Wait for the food to cool down before placing it in the refrigerator.

5. How do I troubleshoot if my French door refrigerator is not cooling properly?

If your French door refrigerator is not cooling properly, first check to make sure the temperature settings are correct. Then, ensure that the door is sealing properly and that there are no obstructions blocking the vents. If the issue persists, it could be a sign of a malfunctioning compressor or other internal component and it is best to contact a professional for repair.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
reba515
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies