• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Freezing Fresh Herbs in Olive Oil

In summary, you can freeze most types of fresh herbs in olive oil, but softer herbs like basil, parsley, and cilantro tend to freeze better than sturdier herbs like rosemary and thyme. It is not necessary to blanch the herbs before freezing them in olive oil, as this method helps preserve their flavor and texture. Frozen herbs in olive oil can last up to 6 months in the freezer, but after that, their flavor and texture may start to deteriorate. It is recommended to use a high-quality, neutral-flavored oil such as olive oil or grapeseed oil to freeze herbs, as these oils will not solidify in the freezer and will not affect the flavor of the herbs. To thaw frozen herbs in
I've seen this before and always wondered if it would work well. Don't we usually need herbs after the recipe has already been going for a while? Would this extra oil be too much? I wonder if it could just be done with water. Thaw it out later and blot on towels and then you'd have them ready for the recipe whenever it's needed?

Ingredients:1 cup chopped herbs (cilantro, parsley, basil, chives, etc.)1/2 cup olive oil1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)Instructions:1. Wash and dry the herbs thoroughly.2. Chop the herbs into small pieces.3. In a blender or food processor, combine the chopped herbs, olive oil, and salt (if using). Blend until well combined and the herbs are finely chopped.4. Pour the herb and oil mixture into an ice cube tray. Each cube should be about 1 tablespoon.5. Place the ice cube tray in the freezer and freeze until solid, about 2-3 hours.6. Once frozen, remove the herb cubes from the tray and transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag.7. Label the container or bag with the name of the herbs and the date.8. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.9. When ready to use, simply thaw a cube or two and add it to your cooking for a burst of fresh herb flavor.Note: You can also freeze whole herb leaves in oil, but they may become a bit limp when thawed. Chopping the herbs and blending them with oil helps to preserve their texture.

1. Can I freeze any type of fresh herbs in olive oil?

Yes, you can freeze most types of fresh herbs in olive oil. However, softer herbs like basil, parsley, and cilantro tend to freeze better than sturdier herbs like rosemary and thyme.

2. Do I need to blanch the herbs before freezing them in olive oil?

No, you do not need to blanch the herbs before freezing them in olive oil. This method involves freezing the herbs in oil without blanching, which helps preserve their flavor and texture.

3. How long can I keep frozen herbs in olive oil?

Frozen herbs in olive oil can last up to 6 months in the freezer. After that, the herbs may start to lose their flavor and texture.

4. Can I use any type of oil to freeze the herbs?

It is recommended to use a high-quality, neutral-flavored oil such as olive oil or grapeseed oil to freeze herbs. These oils do not solidify in the freezer and will not affect the flavor of the herbs.

5. How do I thaw frozen herbs in olive oil?

You can thaw frozen herbs in olive oil by placing the container in the refrigerator for a few hours or by running the container under warm water for a few minutes. Do not microwave frozen herbs in oil as it can affect the flavor and texture of the herbs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • danielsdundee