• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Freeze an Iced Cake and How to Do It Properly?

In summary, if you want to freeze an ICED cake, you need to do something special to it (wrap it in alum foil). If you have a cake that is already frosted, you can freeze it uncovered or freeze it partially eaten.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Can you freeze an ICED cake? If so, do you need to do anything special to it? Right now it's sitting in a box from the store. Would it be watery when it thaws?

We were supposed to have 12 people coming to dinner tomorrow (to add to our four) and now there's a health problem with my MIL and everyone is on 'standby' but she's definitely not coming and neither is my FIL. I told everyone to just stay there (2 hours away) in case she needs them and to not worry about it, we'd celebrate the 4 birthdays another time, probably at Christmas.

So now I have this large cake with icing and nothing to do with it. We just had cake last week for my DS party with friends and the week before for his actual bday and we're having the Ice Cream Sandwich this week for my DH's and my birthday's so I don't want to keep this one - we're already 'caked' out but I don't want to just throw it out either.

Do any of you wonderful cheffers that make cakes know the answer to this?

I just ate a defrosted (as opposed to unfrosted) piece of DS' birthday cake. It was a little dry but quite yummy. All I did was wrap pieces in alum foil - this one has been in the freezer since his bdy 11/6.

So, waste not want not and freeze away -

susanr613 said:
I just ate a defrosted (as opposed to unfrosted) piece of DS' birthday cake. It was a little dry but quite yummy. All I did was wrap pieces in alum foil - this one has been in the freezer since his bdy 11/6.

So, waste not want not and freeze away -

Thanks Susan, I'll give it a try then. I wonder if a container or freezer bag might work better. Now to make room in my freezer :eek:

Your DS' bday is 11/6? So is my DS' :)

I wrapped mine tightly in foil to keep out any air.

How old is your DS? Mine just turned 13. I can't believe it.

Frosted cake can definitely be frozen. My former neighbor use to win blue ribbons for her cakes at our State Fair for years. She told me to always put a light coat of frosting on a cake before freezing it to prevent it from drying out. Then she would thaw it and frost it more before she decorated them - she sold decorated cakes too. (She also told me to put a small dish of water in the bottom of my oven to keep the cake moist.)

When I freeze my frosted cakes, I freeze it uncovered :eek: until it's frozen. Once frozen I cover it with plastic wrap (so the plastic doesn't stick to the frosting) and then seal it in a freezer safe container. I've done this many many times over the past twenty-five years and have always had success. But the main thing is you have to remember to cover it with plastic and seal it in your container -- set your time for a couple of hours so you don't forget to do that. I also freeze my cakes that have been partially eaten. I always snug up that plastic wrap to the cut part of the cake to prevent it from drying out.

Good Luck!

we did it with our cake top when we got married. As Becky said someone pt it in the freezer for us and while we were on our honeymoon they put it in the vacuum sealer It was really moist and good 1 yr later

1. Can you freeze a fully iced cake?

Yes, you can freeze a fully iced cake. However, the texture and appearance of the icing may change after being frozen and thawed.

2. How should I wrap the iced cake before freezing?

We recommend wrapping the iced cake in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to protect it from freezer burn and to keep it airtight. Then, place it in a freezer-safe container or bag to prevent any damage to the icing during freezing.

3. How long can an iced cake be stored in the freezer?

An iced cake can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. After that, the quality and taste may start to deteriorate.

4. Can I freeze a cake with fresh fruit or whipped cream topping?

Unfortunately, cakes with fresh fruit or whipped cream topping do not freeze well. The texture of the fruit and cream may become mushy and the taste may be affected. It is best to avoid freezing these types of cakes.

5. How should I thaw a frozen iced cake?

To thaw a frozen iced cake, we recommend placing it in the refrigerator overnight. This will allow it to thaw slowly and prevent any condensation from forming on the icing. You can also leave it at room temperature for a few hours, but be sure to keep it covered to prevent any drying out.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • 1PamperedMommy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • kcjodih